Mark Jones named new TV PBP voice

I don't want to be "Mr. Doug Christie Critic" on this forum so this will be my last post on the subject. (I know....thankfully.)

Doug showed real restraint in the Washington game, especially when Kyle Draper would go ballistic (and using some of Doug's usual past phrases). Doug remained professional and on-topic in his analysis. As he would say, "Well done". His new style is a refreshing change.

I still don't like the technique of using abbreviations or initials to identify players and the imaginary things players may be saying when they perform. But that seems to be the norm for many broadcasters even on the national television stage.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that likes Draper way better than Jones? Jokes sounds like the voice guy that introduces the host of a game show
For me, and others will disagree because they have drank the Kool Aid, but Jones and Christie right now doesn’t work for me. I think Jones as a national guy is fine but as this teams hired guy is not good. The over the top go out of their way promotion of Cojo and Bjelica has lost me and I don’t connect with all of his food takes. For the ones who want to defend Jones, do you think it’s fair that maybe he can get names right at least. Butchers names often during telecasts.

Draper comes across as a not As polished guy but he also isn’t afraid to call out the team or players at times and I’m good with it. I feel as though Draper is invested in the team already and gives a damn.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You say, "drank the Kool Aid," as if there's some kind of massive propaganda apparatus and/or cult of personality trying to convince people that Jones and Christie are good together on commentary, in the face of some kind of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
For me, and others will disagree because they have drank the Kool Aid, but Jones and Christie right now doesn’t work for me. I think Jones as a national guy is fine but as this teams hired guy is not good. The over the top go out of their way promotion of Cojo and Bjelica has lost me and I don’t connect with all of his food takes. For the ones who want to defend Jones, do you think it’s fair that maybe he can get names right at least. Butchers names often during telecasts.

Draper comes across as a not As polished guy but he also isn’t afraid to call out the team or players at times and I’m good with it. I feel as though Draper is invested in the team already and gives a damn.
Grant Napear once spent an entire season trying to get us all to say Papagiannis’s name wrong.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You say, "drank the Kool Aid," as if there's some kind of massive propaganda apparatus and/or cult of personality trying to convince people that Jones and Christie are good together on commentary, in the face of some kind of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Your interpretation and way off base as usual

This litigation of Mark Jones is getting old. He’s a far above average announcer and so is Doug. The minor negatives are that he calls the game like a National guy, which he is, so not sure why that’s a surprise. I do find his use of slang a bit hilarious, but more so because he’s 60 talking like a 25 year old. The vocabulary seems a bit forced in at times, but I bet 90% of this forum had to look some of those words up.

dude12

Hall of Famer
It is my opinion, but it's not off-base. "Drank the Kool-Aid" means something specific, and you're misusing it.
Drank the Kool Aid as in he’s a terrific announcer....to be specific. You continue to try and put things in a topic that is not allowed on the board and a topic I don’t delve into because of the forum rules but a topic that is not of interest to me. It’s about the third time you have tried to twist something into that area. No thanks.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Drank the Kool Aid as in he’s a terrific announcer....to be specific. You continue to try and put things in a topic that is not allowed on the board and a topic I don’t delve into because of the forum rules but a topic that is not of interest to me. It’s about the third time you have tried to twist something into that area. No thanks.
????

Well, at least now I know why you keep misusing the term: you don't know what it means. There's nothing about that term, or the origins of it, that's not allowed on this board; it's not a political expression, which is the only thing that makes sense for you to think that it's a forbidden topic.

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" refers to blind loyalty and unquestioning obedience, a term that came from the Jonestown Massacre There's nobody on this message board about whom that statement can be fairly applied to the broadcast duo of Mark Jones and Doug Christie, unless you think not losing your **** over Jones botching the names of role players constitutes "blind loyalty."

dude12

Hall of Famer
????

Well, at least now I know why you keep misusing the term: you don't know what it means. There's nothing about that term, or the origins of it, that's not allowed on this board; it's not a political expression, which is the only thing that makes sense for you to think that it's a forbidden topic.

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" refers to blind loyalty and unquestioning obedience, a term that came from the Jonestown Massacre There's nobody on this message board about whom that statement can be fairly applied to the broadcast duo of Mark Jones and Doug Christie, unless you think not losing your **** over Jones botching the names of role players constitutes "blind loyalty."
Thanks for the lesson

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My take is jones is full of himself and Doug is kinda weird. For some reason Draper to me seems sincere.
See, I don't even disagree with this, except for the implication that being full of oneself precludes sincerity. I think that Mark Jones is full of himself, and Doug Christie is weird; I just don't think that that makes them bad at their jobs. Like, among the differences between Mark Jones and Grant Napear is that I think that Jones is full of himself, but still sincere, whereas I think that Napear is full of himself, and also insincere. I guess, looked at differently, you could say that, from a certain point of view, Mark Jones and Grant Napear are both jerks. To which, I would say, "Yeah, but Mark Jones is my kind of jerk, and Grant Napear isn't."

The botching roleplayer's names thing happens way more often than people who don't listen to other broadcast teams regularly think it does, especially for announcers that are in their first year calling games for that team; it might bother me more, if I still rooted for the Kings, and was invested in these players. But I'm not, and it doesn't. The Corey Joseph thing is ridiculous, I'll stipulate to that, but I give him a pass on that, because they're both Canadian (both from Toronto, even), and he's obviously a homer.

Entity

Hall of Famer
See, I don't even disagree with this, except for the implication that being full of oneself precludes sincerity. I think that Mark Jones is full of himself, and Doug Christie is weird; I just don't think that that makes them bad at their jobs. Like, among the differences between Mark Jones and Grant Napear is that I think that Jones is full of himself, but still sincere, whereas I think that Napear is full of himself, and also insincere. I guess, looked at differently, you could say that, from a certain point of view, Mark Jones and Grant Napear are both jerks. To which, I would say, "Yeah, but Mark Jones is my kind of jerk, and Grant Napear isn't."

The botching roleplayer's names thing happens way more often than people who don't listen to other broadcast teams regularly think it does, especially for announcers that are in their first year calling games for that team; it might bother me more, if I still rooted for the Kings, and was invested in these players. But I'm not, and it doesn't. The Corey Joseph thing is ridiculous, I'll stipulate to that, but I give him a pass on that, because they're both Canadian (both from Toronto, even), and he's obviously a homer.
I was never doing an advocation for Napier. That ship has sailed. I just don’t like jones. And I guess you are reply to someone else about the name botching. I didn’t say anything about that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was never doing an advocation for Napier. That ship has sailed. I just don’t like jones. And I guess you are reply to someone else about the name botching. I didn’t say anything about that.
Yeah, that was more or less a catch-all response. But I brought up Napear because, in a thread where people are discussing whether or not Mark Jones is good at his job, and somebody brings up how his personality comes across on the air, I believe that the on-air persona of his predecessor is very relevant.

Buddy and Barnes are role players? I guess they look a like. :confused:

I'm happy with Jones. He gives the telecast a professional sound. Draper sounds a bit G League to me. I kind of preferred the more subdued Christie. I think Napear's personality kept that weird stuff in check.

I also miss Jerry calling Bjelica 'Be-jel-ica"

News headline I'd love to see: "Chris Webber replaces Doug Christie as color commentator for King's broadcasts."

I've finally put my finger on what is grating about the King's broadcasts. It is like sitting in a room with a couple of drunks hollering, clicheing, and laughing about the game to the point where you don't want to be there with them. The broadcasters can make or break the enjoyment for the game but cannot influence the outcome. So, putting the game sound on mute has been a choice I've been making more often.

I think that Draper and Jones get caught up in the Christie weirdness and overreaction and it brings them down to that level. Webber would establish some stability to an outrageously overplayed broadcast. Just watch the broadcasters for the Sharks, Giants, A's, and all national games to prove the point.

OTOH, some people enjoy what is going on regarding this subject and maybe the FO wants to stir up enthusiasm and provide a diversion in a somewhat non-spectacular season.

News headline I'd love to see: "Chris Webber replaces Doug Christie as color commentator for King's broadcasts."

I've finally put my finger on what is grating about the King's broadcasts. It is like sitting in a room with a couple of drunks hollering, clicheing, and laughing about the game to the point where you don't want to be there with them. The broadcasters can make or break the enjoyment for the game but cannot influence the outcome. So, putting the game sound on mute has been a choice I've been making more often.

I think that Draper and Jones get caught up in the Christie weirdness and overreaction and it brings them down to that level. Webber would establish some stability to an outrageously overplayed broadcast. Just watch the broadcasters for the Sharks, Giants, A's, and all national games to prove the point.

OTOH, some people enjoy what is going on regarding this subject and maybe the FO wants to stir up enthusiasm and provide a diversion in a somewhat non-spectacular season.
I think Christie has become repetitive and predictable; however, Webber is one of the worst color commentators out there. I would rather go with Katie as the color commentator.