Marvin Bagley unbreaks hand!

i think it is telling that marvin didn't stay with the team, but went home to arizona to rehabilitate.

then he returns and walton take a shot at papa bags, saying marvin isn't close to being in game shape.

all signs now point to them trading him for whoever is willing to take on next year's salary (which may be no one).

i think it is telling that marvin didn't stay with the team, but went home to arizona to rehabilitate.

then he returns and walton take a shot at papa bags, saying marvin isn't close to being in game shape.

all signs now point to them trading him for whoever is willing to take on next year's salary (which may be no one).
Not sure how you rehab a broken finger. The team let him go to Arizona for reasons that we don't know. But the team approved it.

That is, if the FO sees it the same way Walton does.

I couldn't imagine a more disappointing draft pick. He charmed Vlade so we would pick him second. Then he has been injured constantly and his family acts as if the Kings screwed him somehow. I would be really surprised if Bagley amounts to anything in this league the way things have gone so far. But what has he made? Close to 20 million dollars? What athletes make these days is mind bogeling.

I couldn't imagine a more disappointing draft pick. He charmed Vlade so we would pick him second. Then he has been injured constantly and his family acts as if the Kings screwed him somehow. I would be really surprised if Bagley amounts to anything in this league the way things have gone so far. But what has he made? Close to 20 million dollars? What athletes make these days is mind bogeling.
You need to separate Bagley and his dad. If he "charmed" him, so what? Your supposed to make favorable impressions in a job interview.

What he amounts to in this league, I don't know. So far, not much. They may not have screwed him but I wouldn't say they have helped him either. Bad for everyone involved.

Yes, what they make is mind boggling but an argument could be made that they are underpaid considering the revenue that comes in, in normal times. Me, I would prefer it would cost less to attend a game so more could afford the games. And that in turn could affect wages.

I dont really like the 2 senarios I see. Let him walk for nothing, or pay him to see if he can stay healthy and be impactful player. My yes/no would be based on what we pay him if he stays. I'd be more willing to let him walk than over pay him. Don't pay for potential in an injury riddled big man.

Not sure how you rehab a broken finger. The team let him go to Arizona for reasons that we don't know. But the team approved it.
i doubt that the team said, "hey marvin, why don't you go to arizona to rehab and come back when you're ready" - traditionally an injured player is in the arena in street clothes.

i guess the team COULD have said, "that isn't the way we do things - stay here, see the trainers and use the facilities daily" (a broken hand doesn't mean you should lose your ability to run the floor - that's what treadmills and conditioning coaches are for).

marvin probably doesn't want to be here, but what if the kings say, "we picked up your option for 11 mil next year - but we are willing to rescind that and you can be a free agent, so, do you want to taken that deal?"

does anyone think he gets that kind of deal, or better, from another team?

looking at HG/WCS, i think nor.

i doubt that the team said, "hey marvin, why don't you go to arizona to rehab and come back when you're ready" - traditionally an injured player is in the arena in street clothes.

i guess the team COULD have said, "that isn't the way we do things - stay here, see the trainers and use the facilities daily" (a broken hand doesn't mean you should lose your ability to run the floor - that's what treadmills and conditioning coaches are for).

marvin probably doesn't want to be here, but what if the kings say, "we picked up your option for 11 mil next year - but we are willing to rescind that and you can be a free agent, so, do you want to taken that deal?"

does anyone think he gets that kind of deal, or better, from another team?

looking at HG/WCS, i think nor.
That's a lot of speculation. Depending one's attitude towards Marvin, the speculation could go either way.

Since we know absolutely nothing, this is just as likely a scenario:

Marvin breaks his hand and of course he's down about it. Fans in Sac are cheering because their favorite player Tyrese is going to start and without Marvin, the team will be so much better.

Someone reports that the team tried to trade Marvin, but was turned down. Who does it benefit to leak this info? Not Marvin. Not Detroit. Not Sacramento. Anyways, I digress. Fans again attack Marvin for having no value and nobody wants him. He's a bust. So on and so forth.

Now, with a broken finger, there is nothing the training staff can do. Just wait it out. Marvin can sit around in Sac and listen to all the negativity thrown his way, or the team can send him, or let him go home to get mental break while his hand heals.

I don't know if that's true, but it's just as valid a speculation.

How much money he makes is irrelevant to the situation, unless we're just looking for more things to be mad at him about.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Step one: give Marvin the ultimate green light. He now takes 30+ shots a game.

Step two: Marvin drops a ton of massive stat lines, but because his defense is still doo doo, we get shredded by other teams, bolstering the tank.

Step three: Vlade Divac is hired as GM by some other team early in the offseason and gets “Hinkie’d” by McNair, trading a Kings ransom (yuk yuk) for the 25/12 beast that is “ultimate green light on tanking team” Marvin.

Step four: profit!

Step one: give Marvin the ultimate green light. He now takes 30+ shots a game.

Step two: Marvin drops a ton of massive stat lines, but because his defense is still doo doo, we get shredded by other teams, bolstering the tank.

Step three: Vlade Divac is hired as GM by some other team early in the offseason and gets “Hinkie’d” by McNair, trading a Kings ransom (yuk yuk) for the 25/12 beast that is “ultimate green light on tanking team” Marvin.

Step four: profit!
I was reading along intently and agreeing, until step 3...

I'm sorry but step 3 really broke my illusion. :p

dude12

Hall of Famer
From Sean Cunningham’s Twitter
Kings coach Luke Walton said Marvin Bagley "has a lot to do before he gets to me." By that, he means game activity even though he's resumed basketball workouts

Luke going to ice out Marvin Bagley

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I dont really like the 2 senarios I see. Let him walk for nothing, or pay him to see if he can stay healthy and be impactful player. My yes/no would be based on what we pay him if he stays. I'd be more willing to let him walk than over pay him. Don't pay for potential in an injury riddled big man.
Well letting him walk for nothing isn't an option. We owe him 11.3 mil next season whether he's sitting at home, or on our bench. So we either play him, or we trade him. I have no idea what his trade value is, but it's likely more than what we would think it is. There's always a GM out there that thinks a young high draft pick only needs a change of scenery. It's the 11.3 mil that makes him harder to trade, meaning we might have to take back some unwanted salary to make a deal work.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kings coach Luke Walton said Marvin Bagley "has a lot to do before he gets to me." By that, he means game activity even though he's resumed basketball workouts

Sort of a ridiculous statement by Walton with only 13 games left. I doubt we see Bagley on the floor again this year.

i wonder if he would have stayed with the team, he would be further along. yeah he cant play with the broken hand but he could watch tape, watch during practice or participate in drills or exercises that dont affect the hand, or work on other parts of the game with the coaches and staff.

There's no way we are gonna get value back out of a Bags trade. Best bet is to trade for another under achieving injury prone stuck in the mud high pick young player and hope maybe a change of scenery helps both:
A) Bag for Bamba
B) Bag for Markkanen
C) Bag for Knox, Ntilikina

There's no way we are gonna get value back out of a Bags trade. Best bet is to trade for another under achieving injury prone stuck in the mud high pick young player and hope maybe a change of scenery helps both:
A) Bag for Bamba
B) Bag for Markkanen
I would do B in a heartbeat.

A) Bag for Bamba
B) Bag for Markkanen
Markkanen would fit well if we keep holmes.

For some reason I thought this was his contract year.

So, if he can stay healthy, he has half(wherever the traded deadline falls)of next season to show everyone what he's got.

That's a lot of speculation. Depending one's attitude towards Marvin, the speculation could go either way.

Since we know absolutely nothing, this is just as likely a scenario:

Marvin breaks his hand and of course he's down about it. Fans in Sac are cheering because their favorite player Tyrese is going to start and without Marvin, the team will be so much better.

Someone reports that the team tried to trade Marvin, but was turned down. Who does it benefit to leak this info? Not Marvin. Not Detroit. Not Sacramento. Anyways, I digress. Fans again attack Marvin for having no value and nobody wants him. He's a bust. So on and so forth.

Now, with a broken finger, there is nothing the training staff can do. Just wait it out. Marvin can sit around in Sac and listen to all the negativity thrown his way, or the team can send him, or let him go home to get mental break while his hand heals.

I don't know if that's true, but it's just as valid a speculation.

How much money he makes is irrelevant to the situation, unless we're just looking for more things to be mad at him about.

your speculation is off the mark. because you said this:

Now, with a broken finger, there is nothing the training staff can do.

1) the training staff (and team doctor(s)) can look at that hand/finger daily and assess progress (or lack of same) MUCH easier in sacramento than arizona.

2) they can certainly help him get in "game shape" in terms of stamina, maybe some time in the weight room.

3) for a guy who has SO much to learn, you mean he can learn more from his dad in arizona than by being at practice? i doubt that.

4) what about working on footwork. here is a guy who has no low post game at all and you don't think that the time off could be a benefit by working on a low post option, one on one with and assistant ?

as for the "emotional trauma" you posit, if he is REALLY that "fragile" (emotionally) then he will NEVER be an impact player. so, if he has that weakness, he should be thrown into the fire and either learn to not be so vulnerable or show himself incapable of being even an average nba player.

if he wants to go somewhere else, going to arizona for a month when the team is (barely) on the edge of playoff contention (well, it was barely - now that ship has sailed), he reduces his value by looking either "uncoachable", not giving a damn or both.

if you WANT to be traded, you spend a month in the weight room, in practice and working one on one with an assistant coach CONSTANTLY.

marvin just doesn't get it and probably never will. sometimes you have to dump your darko.

and no, i would not buy him out - if his agent can find someone who will pick up that 11 million dollar option for next year, the kings should just take the loss and be thankful they got tyrese. if not, pay him and sit his ass on the bench or just tell him to go home and work with his dad to get in shape for his next chance.

as of now, he is property of the kings, but the front office should tell him and his agent to find someone who will take that contract and wash their hands of him. it seems like walton has already washed his and it might be that walton will start next year as coach with a mandate to win immediately - that would more easily be done without marvin, even if we now have to overpay for holmes.

the FO did a pretty good job of covering the center position with holmes, whiteside and metu. they are going to draft another big man this summer, so, really marvin has made himself unnecessary.

i'm not hating on him - i wanted him to succeed. but he has now conclusively failed. i'd give harry giles another chance before marvin. but i like the idea of trading him for another failure (markannen or knox - not sure about bam). i'd certainly take knox if they would throw in nerlens noel (who has the best jump shot "form" i've seen in a young player.)

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
For some reason I thought this was his contract year.

So, if he can stay healthy, he has half(wherever the traded deadline falls)of next season to show everyone what he's got.
I think he’ll look exactly the same as his rookie year, average like 14 and 6 then break something again.

At least my main vitriol is about to switch over to Mac in the NFL.

your speculation is off the mark. because you said this:

Now, with a broken finger, there is nothing the training staff can do.

1) the training staff (and team doctor(s)) can look at that hand/finger daily and assess progress (or lack of same) MUCH easier in sacramento than arizona.

2) they can certainly help him get in "game shape" in terms of stamina, maybe some time in the weight room.

3) for a guy who has SO much to learn, you mean he can learn more from his dad in arizona than by being at practice? i doubt that.

4) what about working on footwork. here is a guy who has no low post game at all and you don't think that the time off could be a benefit by working on a low post option, one on one with and assistant ?

as for the "emotional trauma" you posit, if he is REALLY that "fragile" (emotionally) then he will NEVER be an impact player. so, if he has that weakness, he should be thrown into the fire and either learn to not be so vulnerable or show himself incapable of being even an average nba player.

if he wants to go somewhere else, going to arizona for a month when the team is (barely) on the edge of playoff contention (well, it was barely - now that ship has sailed), he reduces his value by looking either "uncoachable", not giving a damn or both.

if you WANT to be traded, you spend a month in the weight room, in practice and working one on one with an assistant coach CONSTANTLY.

marvin just doesn't get it and probably never will. sometimes you have to dump your darko.

and no, i would not buy him out - if his agent can find someone who will pick up that 11 million dollar option for next year, the kings should just take the loss and be thankful they got tyrese. if not, pay him and sit his ass on the bench or just tell him to go home and work with his dad to get in shape for his next chance.

as of now, he is property of the kings, but the front office should tell him and his agent to find someone who will take that contract and wash their hands of him. it seems like walton has already washed his and it might be that walton will start next year as coach with a mandate to win immediately - that would more easily be done without marvin, even if we now have to overpay for holmes.

the FO did a pretty good job of covering the center position with holmes, whiteside and metu. they are going to draft another big man this summer, so, really marvin has made himself unnecessary.

i'm not hating on him - i wanted him to succeed. but he has now conclusively failed. i'd give harry giles another chance before marvin. but i like the idea of trading him for another failure (markannen or knox - not sure about bam). i'd certainly take knox if they would throw in nerlens noel (who has the best jump shot "form" i've seen in a young player.)
To start, there is absolutely no need to check on a broken finger daily.

2. Game shape can only be achieved by playing games. There is nothing to indicate that Bagley doesn't stay in shape otherwise. If there is a concern about that, it's up to the team to monitor it. When asked about Marvin when he was away, Luke said Marvin is doing everything they have asked him to do.

3. There is no indication that he was in Arizona getting lessons on basketball from his dad.

4. Bagley is very effective scoring in the post. The initial complaint from this fan base is that he's a low post player and the modern NBA doesn't need that. Now we're moving the goal posts.

You're under no obligation to like Marvin. But there is no need to make up reasons. There have been no reports that he's been a problem. As a matter of fact, James Ham just said yesterday that he's a good guy. Good in the lockerroom and never a problem.

There is no reason to misquote me either. I did not say he had "emotional trauma". Getting away from negativity is what a healthy person does. Thinking a player should sit around and immerse themselves in abuse is just weird and dehumanizing.

Last edited:
Another thing about Marvin in AZ. Bjelica quit on the team and left for over a month because he didn't get the playing time he wanted. The team let him do it, then when he came back, they proceeded to put him on the court. A competent and secure franchise would have told Bjelica to not come back and cut him loose at the end of the season. Eat the loss for the sake of setting a certain culture. Letting Marvin go to AZ and Letting Bjelica pout and stomp his feet with no consequences is on the team.