Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please for the love of god just fire Luke already and start tanking. there is absolute no point to winning the rest of these games. We don't need to go on our annual runs of meaningless wins. I've repeated myself over and over again to nauseam, but if these guys(players) actually cared about winning, they shouldn't have waited for the last 20 games to do so.

I posted this during our win streak....
The kings are not good enough to even make the playoff tournament. Hate this franchise. We do this every year . Stop fooling fans. This team is not good. They’ll win something like 5 out of 8, then proceed to drop 5 straight. We need to be sellers at the deadline!
What do you know? Just dropped 5 straight. I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of desperation win attempts by Walton to try to get that play-in spot and save his job.

Please for the love of god just fire Luke already and start tanking. there is absolute no point to winning the rest of these games. We don't need to go on our annual runs of meaningless wins. I've repeated myself over and over again to nauseam, but if these guys(players) actually cared about winning, they shouldn't have waited for the last 20 games to do so.

What do you know? Just dropped 5 straight. I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of desperation win attempts by Walton to try to get that play-in spot and save his job.
Id say they’re doing a good job recently of tanking without firing luke. Keeping him doesn’t mean you are winning the rest of the games, especially when u are losing to the worst team in the west and the east back to back.

No point at all. Enough is enough already. Just tank please. It is colossally unfair to the few remaining fans who still tune in to Kings games to reward their patience at having to watch this underachieving disaster of team with the 9th or 10th pick in a 6 person draft. There is no reason to continue down this path anymore. Fox, Barnes, Hield, and Holmes don't get it done. This team is going nowhere. Sit those guys and let Hali run wild and take 25 shots a game and give the fans something to at least look forward to for the remainder of the season.

20% is basically nothing which means it's the least of the Kings problems, it's the players and the front office like it's always been. Kings fans delude themselves into thinking guys are superstars (Cousins/Fox/Evans) when reality points the the exact opposite that career losers/overpaid starters Buddy/Rudy Gay/Barnes are huge contributors to wins when they're not and teams get better as soon as they move them. Than the drafting of absolute bums like Bagley/Robinson/Mclemore/Nik/WCS/Jimmer /Papa G,/JJ/Giles and that's the problem there not George Karl (career winner in the regular season), Malone (was treated like a god becasue of one 9-6 run), Joeger (did as well as anyone could) and now Luke. When you best FA signings of the last 10 years have been Holmes/Bjelica/Bogi that's not good.
20% of 82 games is 16, which isn't nothing. If you look at the Knicks win percentage last season vs this season. Over 82 games the difference is about a 13 game improvement. Not to say a good coach would change our record that much. Or that a good coach would do well with a bad team (Adelman said you need talent after his stint with GS). But it's not nothing.

Judging from what you have written about our players, you don't think they are capable of that much. Whether it's because of my delusion, as you so eloquently put it, or some other strange phenomena, I believe the players we have are capable of better quality basketball than what they produced against Detroit yesterday. I also believe that a coach that had either a playbook or a pulse would help them play with more structure and purpose than the improvised mess that was offered yesterday. Now if we had a coach that helped us beat Detroit, but couldn't help us get over the line in our previous 4 games, that is your 20%.

20% of 82 games is 16, which isn't nothing. If you look at the Knicks win percentage last season vs this season. Over 82 games the difference is about a 13 game improvement. Not to say a good coach would change our record that much. Or that a good coach would do well with a bad team (Adelman said you need talent after his stint with GS). But it's not nothing.

Judging from what you have written about our players, you don't think they are capable of that much. Whether it's because of my delusion, as you so eloquently put it, or some other strange phenomena, I believe the players we have are capable of better quality basketball than what they produced against Detroit yesterday. I also believe that a coach that had either a playbook or a pulse would help them play with more structure and purpose than the improvised mess that was offered yesterday. Now if we had a coach that helped us beat Detroit, but couldn't help us get over the line in our previous 4 games, that is your 20%.
The team has had some very impressive stretches of basketball in between looking like a G-League team. That has to be coaching?

The team has had some very impressive stretches of basketball in between looking like a G-League team. That has to be coaching?
I think it's directly related to coaching. We've seen the highs this team can get to twice this year and they've simply collapsed right after we think they've turned the corner. It's not all on Walton, but he deserves a large share of the blame for how inconsistent he has this team prepared on a game by game basis.

It just doesn't make sense to me how we can demolish the Spurs, one of the better defenses in the league and then lose to literally the two worst teams in basketball within a 10-day stretch. I don't think this core has huge upside as a team or anything, but I do think we'd be around the 7-8 seed this year with a top 15 coach, rather than a bottom 5(possibly being generous?) coach in Walton.

Inconsistent play is mental. Mental strength is part of the equation as an athlete. They don't have enough mental toughness on this team and Luke isn't a strong of enough of a personality to supplement that.
Along those lines: Bucks MISSING ALL FIVE STARTERS tonight against a solid Charlotte team. Bucks nevertheless giving a very competitive effort - down 4 w/2 min left in the 1st half - while running out a 10-player rotation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we’d probably wind up winning more games with Luke gone than if we kept him for the rest of the season

After this current debacle and a likely "forced tank" for the remaining games, if Walton is still the coach for next season, they are going to lose even more of the fan base than they already have. Sometimes you just have to walk away
Fan base walking away? Good question. Have to wonder how much of the fan base has already tuned out. Most Kings based forums or subset of forums that I am aware of are nearly comatose or heading that way.

Playing the youth might be one way to spark interest, to give something to look forward to. Doing the same ol' again and again is draining. I am certain with limited seats available they will try to sell that the seats are highly desirable and get them while you can. Be interesting how the fans react. Not just now but going forward next year.

After this current debacle and a likely "forced tank" for the remaining games, if Walton is still the coach for next season, they are going to lose even more of the fan base than they already have. Sometimes you just have to walk away
They will be back on the bandwagon when we start winning again.

There is still time left but as incompetent as this franchise has been since Vivek took over if there aren't some heads rolling after this season then this can't and won't ever be fixed. They will simply have to luck into a winning atmosphere at some point. My issue is why not give Gentry a little time to assess what he can do. If they fire Walton in the offseason only to hand over the team to Gentry then they wasted precious evaluation potential. They have very little left to even do that at this point but there is still sliver of daylight.

gunks

Hall of Famer
There is still time left but as incompetent as this franchise has been since Vivek took over if there aren't some heads rolling after this season then this can't and won't ever be fixed. They will simply have to luck into a winning atmosphere at some point. My issue is why not give Gentry a little time to assess what he can do. If they fire Walton in the offseason only to hand over the team to Gentry then they wasted precious evaluation potential. They have very little left to even do that at this point but there is still sliver of daylight.
I’m hoping it’s because they think we can do better than Gentry (maybe poach Nate away from Atl? D’Antoni, a rich man’s Gentry?) so we’re rolling with our tank commander until the season is up.

I’m with you on giving up on the Kings if Luke doesn’t get canned this summer though. There’s zero ways to justify that.

I’m hoping it’s because they think we can do better than Gentry (maybe poach Nate away from Atl? D’Antoni, a rich man’s Gentry?) so we’re rolling with our tank commander until the season is up.

I’m with you on giving up on the Kings if Luke doesn’t get canned this summer though. There’s zero ways to justify that.
I hoping the same thing. I know Luke is gone after the year. Kings prob don’t want to pay 2 coaches this season. But if they even consider gentry as a possibility, they’re idiots for not at least seeing why he can do this year. So if it’s luke or gentry next year, I’ll be disappointed in the ineptitude of the kings front office.

I will be livid if its Gentry next season. I thought it got bad enough a few times to justify pulling the switch and putting him in but my biggest fear all along was that he could do enough to earn the job next year. For that matter, if it's D'Antoni I will also be upset that we didn't go that route this year. I am imagining its a top assistant whose name I will have to google.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I hoping the same thing. I know Luke is gone after the year. Kings prob don’t want to pay 2 coaches this season. But if they even consider gentry as a possibility, they’re idiots for not at least seeing why he can do this year. So if it’s luke or gentry next year, I’ll be disappointed in the ineptitude of the kings front office.
Can’t argue with that logic! I guess we’ll just have to cross that bridge when we get there haha

i now believe that not only will walton not be fired this season, but i actually think they will give him a chance to start next season (assuming the team is intact -if there are major trades, maybe not)

looking at the pels game, he obviously did not prepare or inspire them. but then, in the second half, they come roaring back (so it does not seem like the team has quit on him)

i also think walton is now seriously a tank commander.

why else would you take a game we should win (pistons) and "shake up" the starting lineup (harkless? - give me a break).

i also wonder if buddy was having an on the waterfront moment on monday night.

my opinion on his coaching ability hasn't changed (walton sucks) but i think vivek is SO incompetent that he may not see it or perhaps he believes that "the guy deserves a fair chance in a normal season".

item one on the "why walton sucks" list:

Utah Jazz at Golden State Warriors Play-By-Play, March 14, 2021 | Basketball-Reference.com

Sacramento Kings at Charlotte Hornets Play-By-Play, March 15, 2021 | Basketball-Reference.com

these links reflect the play by play of a kings game and a warriors-jazz game (two excellent coaches) around the same time.

it's easy to scroll through just looking for the timeouts, especially when you know when the mandatories are likely to be called.

then you want to look at the play run OUT of the timeout (most coaches call timeouts when in possession of the ball, although kerr, if he is ready to call one soon anyway, will sometimes take it if the opponent is at the line and misses the first one).

you can't control if a player makes a shot, but given a couple of minutes, a competent coach should at least design a play that gets the player an actual shot.

read 'em and weep.

Status
Not open for further replies.