State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really love to see whats the possible return for trading Barnes, Holmes, Bjelica, Hield or others. If Barnes nets you a first and a prospect, pull the trigger. If Holmes nets you a first, pull the trigger. If Hield nets you anything meaningfull, pull the trigger. If bjelly nets you couple of seconds or even one good second, pull the trigger.

Focus the rest of this season and the next one for getting a very high pick and adding future assets. After one year come to the market with good cap situation, (over)pay ~180mil to similar guys like Barnes and Hield (that will not most likely be a problem) and try again with two additional PREMIUM draft prospects playing next to Fox and Hali with another bites of the apple (additional 1sts). That situation to me sounds so much better than using the next two seasons to fight for the 10th spot and drafting at a position where the possibility to draft a franchise changing player is almost non existent.

Hampton and Knox have upside and while that pick is probably going to be meh, that's kind of what you would be looking for when moving someone like Barnes anyway.
Let’s recall we got Barnes for an expiring and Justin Jackson. Turning around and getting Hampton, Knox and a first round pick would be a good return on investment. Something that OKC often does.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Let’s recall we got Barnes for an expiring and Justin Jackson. Turning around and getting Hampton, Knox and a first round pick would be a good return on investment. Something that OKC often does.
Getting a good return on investment is important, no doubt, but we shouldn't look at Barnes' value as being "JJ + expiring" when it's actually now higher than that. Barnes' value is now "Barnes for two years past this one at about $38.5M total".

Hampton/Knox/1st is a great return on investment of "JJ + expiring". It seems a lot closer to a push with "Barnes for two years past this one at about $38.5M total".

I'm not saying we absolutely shouldn't do it - this deal (which is a fan proposal and not an actual rumor that I know of) is among the best returns I've seen proposed for Barnes - but since we've got other considerations, like hoping that Barnes will be a part of a team that gets into and competes in the playoffs in the next three years, there are certainly reasons for the team to stand pat.

I'm not even sure if Kevin Knox should be in the NBA. He has been quite the bust.
Yeah, I find Hampton interesting as a third guard, but haven’t heard/seen enough positives about Knox.
If this were a trade that involved Buddy instead of Barnes then I would take a gamble.

I'm not even sure if Kevin Knox should be in the NBA. He has been quite the bust.
Well, if there is one team content with soiling whatever young talent they have to eat up the middle of the rankings it's the Knicks. Knox showed promise in his rookie year and can't find any role within their offense since. They are doing the same to Toppin and thankfully they haven't yanked the chain on Barrett yet. He seems to be making out to the other side. Knox is a perfect upside gamble in a trade if the value isn't quite there for you otherwise.

Remind me again how good OKC is this season? When have they been a Spurs level dynasty? Did I miss something??
Very few on even this board ( ok maybe only you) wouldn’t trade spots with OKC in a heart beat.

While Kings make a run for the 10th spot only to get crushed, OKC is sitting SGA for an indefinite period with “plantar faciitis”. Their is a reasonable chance OKC could come out of this draft with two picks in the top 5. Sam Presti is one of the best in the business.

I’m pretty sure a line-up of:
Jalen Suggs
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Lou Dort
Jonathon Kuminga
Xx whatever center they want with their warchest of picks

and a bench of
Bazeley
Poku
Whomever

will be a damn good team for years to come.

Curious to see what kings fans think......

Looks like the kings are making a push for the play in instead of positioning themselves for a very well stocked draft.
Kings fans cool with that?

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Looks like the kings are making a push for the play in instead of positioning themselves for a very well stocked draft.
No, but improving the team (even slightly) at the cost of nothing? It’s hard to complain too much. Had they sent out an actual asset of value? Man the pitchforks.

Looks like our man Monte might actually know what he’s doing.

No, but improving the team (even slightly) at the cost of nothing? It’s hard to complain too much. Had they sent out an actual asset of value? Man the pitchforks.

Looks like our man Monte might actually know what he’s doing.
improving the team slightly to what end?? So we can pick in the 12th spot and not the 9th??

I'm not cool with that but I am not entirely sure we've done any such thing. Our pre-season moves all seemed geared for an all out tank and it didn't happen, these moves are maybe swapping a few expirings for other younger expirings or 1 year remainings. We may either be looking for a bigger trade or just stocking the cupboards. None of these players coming in is more than a bench player. And we're over the roster limit so I am thinking we may be moving pawns around while we move a bigger piece in the next 90 mins.

The kings are not good enough to even make the playoff tournament. Hate this franchise. We do this every year . Stop fooling fans. This team is not good. They’ll win something like 5 out of 8, then proceed to drop 5 straight. We need to be sellers at the deadline!

I have to think this "keeping for the play in" thing really could be a bit to get teams to up their offers. We can't go into next season with Walton as coach and a play-in is not the same as an 8 seed. Not to mention these play in games can't be profitable can they? Monte surely knows this and I think Vivek also deep down understands.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The kings are not good enough to even make the playoff tournament. Hate this franchise. We do this every year . Stop fooling fans. This team is not good. They’ll win something like 5 out of 8, then proceed to drop 5 straight. We need to be sellers at the deadline!
Considering how little return most of these players are getting on the market right now, are we sure NOW is the best time to be selling off assets?

I really just hope the reason we aren't selling is because the offers aren't there, and not because of Vivek's desire to make a late playoff play in push. Going into this offseason finishing as the 10th seed that's first out, with the 10th or 11th worst record is a nightmare scenario.

I really just hope the reason we aren't selling is because the offers aren't there, and not because of Vivek's desire to make a late playoff play in push. Going into this offseason finishing as the 10th seed that's first out, with the 10th or 11th worst record is a nightmare scenario.
That's the crux of the issue. We as fans don't really know because we can't trust that Vivek isn't interfering with what Monte wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.