State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok we are 4 days out from the trade deadline. I know the King's rumor mill has fizzled and we are likely to hold on to Barnes, Buddy and Bags but who knows? We have 4 picks in the upcoming draft, what do you guys think will happen? Will we snag a late first for Belly? a second?
Trading Belly is low hanging fruit. He hasn't been happy this year, he will not be here next year, he has a skillset that could benefit several playoff teams, his contract is not big and is expiring. I guess the question is how much could you get for him? How many teams trying to compete this year have first round picks to give? Would Philly, who have the second best record in the league, give up their first round pick if we gave them Belly and one of our seconds? I'm not really a salary guy so don't know what would or wouldn't work. A second round pick from a competing team isn't that appealing, but Bajaden commented that the Warriors might be interested and have the Timberwolves second this year. New York also seem to have Detroits second, which would be fairly high.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vlade didn’t exactly leave McNair with a bunch of movable pieces.

I think we see Bjeli shipped out. I seriously doubt there’s any teams out there that want Buddy or Bagley. A Barnes trade would signal a commitment to the tank that I just don’t expect from Vivek “Win Now” Ranadive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trade-rumor-rankings-harrison-barnes-200608031.html?src=rss

"Dinwiddie can be obtained for a role player off the bench who can contribute this season as Brooklyn chases a title and a future second-round pick, league sources told HoopsHype. According to executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype, the belief is a team that is over the cap would make the most sense totrade for Dinwiddie because the team would be able to monitor his rehab progress from a partially torn ACL and acquire his Bird Rights, which would allow him to be signed while going over the salary cap."

Take your pick Nets. Anyone on our bench and any of our 2nd rounders. These are the kinds of moves that need to be made.

Vlade didn’t exactly leave McNair with a bunch of movable pieces.

I think we see Bjeli shipped out. I seriously doubt there’s any teams out there that want Buddy or Bagley. A Barnes trade would signal a commitment to the tank that I just don’t expect from Vivek “Win Now” Ranadive.
I'm really curious about the Buddy point. On one hand, he has a bad contract and is having a down year. OTOH, even in a down year he's shooting 38% from 3. He's a 41% career shooter, young in NBA years for a 28 y.o., and on a team where he's 3rd or 4th option, rather than 2nd, or coming off the bench, not hard to imagine him rebounding big time - and for a long time.

JJ Reddick has parlayed a sweet 3-pt stroke - and little else - into a nice 15-year NBA career.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trade-rumor-rankings-harrison-barnes-200608031.html?src=rss

"Dinwiddie can be obtained for a role player off the bench who can contribute this season as Brooklyn chases a title and a future second-round pick, league sources told HoopsHype. According to executives around the league who spoke with HoopsHype, the belief is a team that is over the cap would make the most sense totrade for Dinwiddie because the team would be able to monitor his rehab progress from a partially torn ACL and acquire his Bird Rights, which would allow him to be signed while going over the salary cap."

Take your pick Nets. Anyone on our bench and any of our 2nd rounders. These are the kinds of moves that need to be made.
I wish the salaries would match because Dinwiddie is a baller.

He is coming off acl and I believe he has a player option for next season, so there would be huge risks involved. This tyoe of trade would need a contract extension (if feasible); if not would be too big of a risk of losing Barnes for nothing.

I wish the salaries would match because Dinwiddie is a baller.

He is coming off acl and I believe he has a player option for next season, so there would be huge risks involved. This tyoe of trade would need a contract extension (if feasible); if not would be too big of a risk of losing Barnes for nothing.
Are you referring to trading Barnes for Spencer or not being able to resign Barnes after his contract is up because of the contract they'd have to give Spencer? The Nets aren't asking for a Barnes level player.

Kings unlikely to move Beli either because the front office has an unrealistic valuation on our players.
If that's true then Kings fans, we have a problem. I would still think teams are going to wait for the buyout. Hopefully Monte can get teams to doubt their chances to sign him if bought out.

Done

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yeytcucz

Kings get: RJ Hampton, Kevin Knox, Denver 2021 1st round pick, and Detroit 2021 2nd pick from NY
Nuggets get: Harrison Barnes
Knicks get: Gary Harris

The pick from NY could be negotiated. Great if it's 1st round. I am ok with the Detroit 2nd.
Hampton and Knox have upside and while that pick is probably going to be meh, that's kind of what you would be looking for when moving someone like Barnes anyway.

Are you referring to trading Barnes for Spencer or not being able to resign Barnes after his contract is up because of the contract they'd have to give Spencer? The Nets aren't asking for a Barnes level player.
Trading Barnes for Spencer.

Spencer is injured this season and has a player option for next season, so it's too big a risk imho.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Done

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yeytcucz

Kings get: RJ Hampton, Kevin Knox, Denver 2021 1st round pick, and Detroit 2021 2nd pick from NY
Nuggets get: Harrison Barnes
Knicks get: Gary Harris

The pick from NY could be negotiated. Great if it's 1st round. I am ok with the Detroit 2nd.
For me, this is better than anything I've seen thus far, for the simple reason that I think Hampton has the highest ceiling of anything we've seen suggested. I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to keep Barnes, but I like this better than any of the proposed Boston deals. Between our own second, Memphis's second, and in this deal Detroit's second, I'd like to think we could swap up into the late first round with a capped-out playoff team who doesn't want a guaranteed contract, and maybe also find a way to creep up a few slots with the Denver pick. I know it's much too early to start projecting who will be available in the late first, but optimally this might be effectively Barnes+2 early 2nds for Hampton, Knox, Todd and BJ Boston. If I thought we had a real chance to maneuver into position to snag both Todd and Boston, I'd be real tempted to do this deal.

Puke. The 25th pick and super project for a top 15 SF on a good contract. Hard Pass.
Why anybody would be excited to get Bol is lost upon me. Dude was a mid-2nd round pick that has done next to nothing so far.

KINGS fans are a really odd bunch. They love to overvalue other team’s players. Often for little to no reason, except that they aren’t KINGS.

As soon as they suit up for the purple, white and black, though, they’re bums and not worth the paper their contract is printed on.

Freaking Marvin Bagley is only 8 months older than Bol and shown a lot more yet most KINGS fans can’t wait to get rid of him. Suddenly the super young age doesn’t matter. He’s a finished product and a bust.

But a somehow dude like Bol still has potential and room for growth despite being the same age and not being able to get on the floor to show much of anything.

I. Give. Up.

I don’t think even that will happen. Other teams will execute their strategy and the Kings will muddle to a 10-12 pick.
It’s likely nothing will happen but I don’t think it’s for lack of Monte trying. He strikes me as a deliberate type thats not going to make a counter productive move.
We have become accustomed to GM’s that had no business making coaching and player decisions and now we have one left with a mess to clean up. He’ll get there but not before this trade deadline.

It’s likely nothing will happen but I don’t think it’s for lack of Monte trying. He strikes me as a deliberate type thats not going to make a counter productive move.
We have become accustomed to GM’s that had no business making coaching and player decisions and now we have one left with a mess to clean up. He’ll get there but not before this trade deadline.
Yeah. I for one enjoy having a GM who's going to value his assets and not throw them away like we have for the majority of the last 15 years.

It’s likely nothing will happen but I don’t think it’s for lack of Monte trying.
Yeah - we know the front office has been at least somewhat active as they just got the kid from the Clippers. Several of our guys - HB, Belly, MBIII, Whiteside, and Holmes, have been mentioned again and again in trade rumours, which further supports that the front office is working. For key guys who are not expiring contracts, there should be a distinction between not selling low and not executing a plan. But for expiring contracts who more than an ounce of trade value I think there should be some movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.