Too bad we didn’t get to see Bagley’s injury live. 6 seconds missed.

I didn’t see the King’s - Hornets game live. But by time I watched it I knew Bagley had gotten injured. I didn’t know when he got injured. I noticed that with about 2:32 left in the 1st quarter he hit the floor on the offensive end. At first I thought that was when he got injured.
I listened to the post game show and they showed what they said was the play that he got injured. He was running through a pick with about 6:50 left in the 2nd quarter. Just before this a timeout had been called with 6:54 left in the 2nd quarter. When I went back to look at it tonight (Wednesday night, two nights after the game), I noticed that coming out of that timeout the local TV broadcast was doing a short segment comparing Lamelo Ball to Tyrese Halliburton. When they finally showed the basketball game the clock showed 6:48 left. SO WE MISSED A CRITICAL 6 SECONDS OF THE GAME. And missed seeing the injury live, or even DVR’d in the context of the game. You can see with 6:45 left Bagley first started holding his left hand with his other hand.
Oh well, I’ll get over it, but I would have preferred to have seen all of the game. Urg!
Did anyone else notice the MISSING 6 SECONDS?

In terms of overall production quality, the Kings broadcast has left me very wanting for most of the season. Whether it's Mark Jones consistently referring to CoJo as a great defender, or getting player names wrong repeatedly, or the over the top effort to crown Haliburton as ROY over Ball ... The biggest annoyance for me is how the Kings broadcast often seems to completely lack any court or arena noises, e.g. dribbling of the ball, squeaking of sneakers, sounds around the rim etc. It's like just watching Doug and Mark/Kyle talk over an otherwise silent movie.

In terms of overall production quality, the Kings broadcast has left me very wanting for most of the season. Whether it's Mark Jones consistently referring to CoJo as a great defender, or getting player names wrong repeatedly, or the over the top effort to crown Haliburton as ROY over Ball ... The biggest annoyance for me is how the Kings broadcast often seems to completely lack any court or arena noises, e.g. dribbling of the ball, squeaking of sneakers, sounds around the rim etc. It's like just watching Doug and Mark/Kyle talk over an otherwise silent movie.
It's awful. I've been saying this all year. Mark Jones works for ESPN. He's not a Sacramento guy. Put Koz or somebody with ties in that position. I think we as Kings fans liked the homerism and love that Grant and Jerry had through the years.

I'm also getting tired of all the dumb one-liners - "little bit of sauce on that.....butter....spin cycle." Doug has gotten worse too IMO, but I think he can be solid with the right PBP person.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
You do realize, I hope, that the broadcast team is not allowed to travel with the actual team right now so they broadcast all road games from an empty arena. And even for home games they are far away from the court, much further than in a normal year. And on top of that this is Mark and Doug's first year broadcasting Kings games as a duo. Surely in light of the circumstances we can cut them some slack. They'll get better with time, everyone does.

Also I can't speak for anyone else but I 100% did not like Grant's brand of homerism or "love" if that's what you call it. I did enjoy Jerry Reynolds' contributions but he's 77 and doesn't want to live on the road anymore. What can you do?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Mark Jones is super talented and there is a big difference between being that national guy and a full season local guy. Doug has a lot of potential as well and I think the national broadcasters will be watching him closely. And as big of a, well whatever Grant is/was, you can't deny that he was voted one of the best for a reason. In his particular field he was great at what he did. Jerry simply can't be replaced, everybody knows that and I doubt any of us expect that. Hopefully as time goes on and Jones learns to become a local type of announcer and DC gets to be himself more things will improve. Like the team the talent is there. We just need a little more of an outlet for what we're seeing and not what the franchise wants us to see.

You do realize, I hope, that the broadcast team is not allowed to travel with the actual team right now so they broadcast all road games from an empty arena. And even for home games they are far away from the court, much further than in a normal year. And on top of that this is Mark and Doug's first year broadcasting Kings games as a duo. Surely in light of the circumstances we can cut them some slack. They'll get better with time, everyone does.

Also I can't speak for anyone else but I 100% did not like Grant's brand of homerism or "love" if that's what you call it. I did enjoy Jerry Reynolds' contributions but he's 77 and doesn't want to live on the road anymore. What can you do?
What does being far away from the court or being in an empty arena have to do with forgetting names, being obsessed with stupid things as mentioned in the first post, and using the same annoying one-liners to describe a move every time Fox drives to the basket?

I get that you weren't a fan of Grant. He had his annoyances too but you can't question his love for the team and city. That guy shed real tears when he thought they had just played their last game in Sac. Jerry...yes, totally understand that. I'm not suggesting that either of them come back. I'd be happy with somebody like Koz and Doug/Kayte.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... I get that you weren't a fan of Grant. He had his annoyances too but you can't question his love for the team and city. That guy shed real tears when he thought they had just played their last game in Sac...
Please. That guy shed "real tears" because he thought he was about to lose his job. He had no reason to believe that he was going to still be employed, wherever the team ended up, and he knew it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Please. That guy shed "real tears" because he thought he was about to lose his job. He had no reason to believe that he was going to still be employed, wherever the team ended up, and he knew it.
It feels like there's a super-set of Hanlon's Razor that applies to this. Something along the lines of "Never attribute to [unlikely negative motivation] that which can adequately be explained by [more likely neutral or positive motivation]."

Mark Jones is a very professional PBP guy. The repeated one liners do get old, I still enjoy the broadcasts.

While I appreciate Mark and Doug, I do miss Grant and Jerry. Change though, is the only thing you can count on. Fortunately we still have the Kings in Sacramento and the sun continues to rise each morning:)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
What does being far away from the court or being in an empty arena have to do with forgetting names, being obsessed with stupid things as mentioned in the first post, and using the same annoying one-liners to describe a move every time Fox drives to the basket?

I get that you weren't a fan of Grant. He had his annoyances too but you can't question his love for the team and city. That guy shed real tears when he thought they had just played their last game in Sac. Jerry...yes, totally understand that. I'm not suggesting that either of them come back. I'd be happy with somebody like Koz and Doug/Kayte.
Because they 're watching the game on a monitor not sitting courtside (and not even in the same building half the time) I imagine it's probably a lot easier to screw things up. The one liners... eh. That's a matter of taste. Every broadcast team does it. With Grant and Jerry maybe it was endearing because we'd all gotten used to their quirks. I think the new guys deserve a chance to build some of their own brand equity.

Because they 're watching the game on a monitor not sitting courtside (and not even in the same building half the time) I imagine it's probably a lot easier to screw things up. The one liners... eh. That's a matter of taste. Every broadcast team does it. With Grant and Jerry maybe it was endearing because we'd all gotten used to their quirks. I think the new guys deserve a chance to build some of their own brand equity.
Meh I don't buy the excuse of watching the game on a monitor. I'm sure there are tons of fans who could watch games on monitors even in like 360p quality and still be able to not mix up Barnes when it was Hield, or Haliburton when it was Fox. Cheesy lines I'm ok with; that's just a function of their style and not so much about quality per se. Calling CoJo a great perimeter defender after he repeatedly gets blown by? That's just poor and comes across as homerific spiel.

All that said, for me again, the bigger issue is the lack of arena/court sounds as well as often missing showing game footage because they're doing some other feature like the OP mentioned.

Thanks for the comments. I respect everyone’s opinion. My beef was with losing the 6 seconds of live TV. Maybe a petty comment from me, but it did bug me. It was probably an error by a producer or someone in the control room or something.
I didn’t say anything about the announcers, but since the thread has gone that way I’ll put my thoughts in.
I didn’t care too much for Grant, and I think Mark Jones is an upgrade. I pretty much agree with SacTownKid. Jones seems to be a real pro. I think we’re lucky to have him. He seems to have good knowledge of the opposing teams players, etc. I think he has a lot of experience (ESPN) and works hard. I haven’t quite gotten tired of the “butter” and “jelly” comments yet, but almost. I got a kick out of NewEra’s comments, pretty funny.
I think Doug Christie does a good job. When he first started he was a little goofy, but he seems to be settling in now. It’s great that he played here during the glory years. He may go far (national?), and is a great guy.

For a while last night when I was trying to find the missing 6 seconds on the DVR, it kinda reminded me of the missing 18 minutes on President Nixon’s White House tape during the Watergate era. At least there’s no conspiracy here, ha ha.
Thanks ESP47 for reminding me I got 6 seconds of my life back, even though I probably spent the better part of an hour trying to find it and figure it out.

This is a good point.

Also, Christie will sometimes make references to what players need to improve on, such as fundamentals of a shot, setting screens, rebounding with two hands, these sort of things. If players go back and watch the replay of the game, they will have a chance to take his advice. So for me, personally, I am okay with Christie.

I agree with this assessment. I think our broadcastng team is second to none. All the other NBA regional local teams are flooded with unhealthy homerism. I thought Mark Jones might be a bit "Hollywood" but he is perfect with Doug imo when this team starts to get up there and go places. I don't mind the one-liners becsuse theirs are way better than any one else out there.

Have none of you watch other NBA teams' local broadcast?

No, I don‘t think I’ve watched another NBA teams local broadcast.
Except for the Warriors a little I guess. I’m sure that would give me a perspective on our broadcasters.
Even though I’m an SF Giants fan, I used to always enjoy listening to Vin Scully, when I was traveling/working in LA. But of course that was Vin Scully, not many that are that good.

Except for the Warriors a little I guess. I’m sure that would give me a perspective on our broadcasters.
Even though I’m an SF Giants fan, I used to always enjoy listening to Vin Scully, when I was traveling/working in LA. But of course that was Vin Scully, not many that are that good.
I'll just say, I took a lot of joy watching the highlights of our last game against the Celtics in the Boston local broadcast. :)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Vin Scully is the gold standard all other broadcasters are measured by. I don't like the Dodgers either but I started watching their broadcasts when I moved down to LA just to listen to him call the games.