Top 5 Forum Scapegoats

Peja - Poor guy who held fort when Webber was out with injury, got a lot of residual angst directed towards him after Webber got traded for "flexible pieces".
Adelman - The greatest coach we ever had was unceremoniously dumped (contract not renewed) for his poor media interactions ("official" reason) and not winning a title with inferior talent.

I think the true scapegoats are the ones who people criticize and seem to lay all blame on for the team's failure. I.e., if only XX was better in some way, we'd be winning. There might be lots of complaining about role players but I don't think anybody actually thinks that Cory Joseph is THE reason why we lose games.

In last 10-15 years:

Kevin Martin (Bricklayer was very anti Kmart, called him soft blablabla)
Karl
IT
WCS
Buddy
Bagley
by your definition half the board said losing Bogi was addition by subtraction.....

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I get the point of this thread, I think. In the absence of enemies we'll create one so we have something to rally against. Rarely do any of them deserve the level of vitriol aimed their way. Generally their worst crime has been being below average NBA players associated with hype that was not of their own making. If you survey most of the names mentioned though (and I think Adelman and Peja were only brought up to emphasize how unfair this treatment can be when we're not even satisfied with a winning team anymore) -- surely you have to admit that being put in a position where we needed to rely on these players as key pieces was in itself the problem. No exaggeration, there was actually a point in time when signing John Salmons was considered a free agency coup in Sacramento. Things got real bad in the waning days of the Maloofery Era.

But why stop there? Let's also look at the players and coaches that the Kings themselves have either officially or unofficially, through their media connections ,decided to scapegoat at some point or another: Chris Webber, Reggie Theus, Tyreke Evans, Mike Malone, Boogie, George Hill, Dave Joerger, Dewayne Dedmon, possibly Buddy Hield. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Do we have a fanbase which is atypically prone to singling out the weakest link and wailing on them (figuratively) or have we been conditioned for two decades to seek out scapegoats because that's exactly the message the team has been selling us over and over again to paper over their managerial incompetence?

I get the point of this thread, I think. In the absence of enemies we'll create one so we have something to rally against. Rarely do any of them deserve the level of vitriol aimed their way. Generally their worst crime has been being below average NBA players associated with hype that was not of their own making. If you survey most of the names mentioned though (and I think Adelman and Peja were only brought up to emphasize how unfair this treatment can be when we're not even satisfied with a winning team anymore) -- surely you have to admit that being put in a position where we needed to rely on these players as key pieces was in itself the problem. No exaggeration, there was actually a point in time when signing John Salmons was considered a free agency coup in Sacramento. Things got real bad in the waning days of the Maloofery Era.

But why stop there? Let's also look at the players and coaches that the Kings themselves have either officially or unofficially, through their media connections ,decided to scapegoat at some point or another: Chris Webber, Reggie Theus, Tyreke Evans, Mike Malone, Boogie, George Hill, Dave Joerger, Dewayne Dedmon, possibly Buddy Hield. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Do we have a fanbase which is atypically prone to singling out the weakest link and wailing on them (figuratively) or have we been conditioned for two decades to seek out scapegoats because that's exactly the message the team has been selling us over and over again to paper over their managerial incompetence?
Really nice post.

Well said. The reality is that fans will create a scapegoat if things are not going well. Need a release valve to channel the negative energy while still having hopeful feelings for the Kings. Oh, we scapegoat the ownership also here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kingsfans forum, like most sports forums is 65 percent rooting for and discussing the team and 35 percent complaining about players/coaches.

Name your top 5 scapegoats in forum history?

To clarify, your list isn’t necessarily your personal view on who is to blame for King’s futility, rather who you believe has gotten the most traction on the forum as the wrong type of goat.
Without reading the rest of the thread, the Maloofs are all 5 of the top 5 scapegoats in forum history, hands down.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vivek is my forever skapegoat.

Gonna be a few more seasons until we get the Vlade stank out of the room too.

I can never really get behind hating on players (occasional snide comments in game threads notwithstanding). Coaches yes, but Luke is Tankbae and therefore exempt.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Vivek is my forever skapegoat.

Gonna be a few more seasons until we get the Vlade stank out of the room too.

I can never really get behind hating on players (occasional snide comments in game threads notwithstanding). Coaches yes, but Luke is Tankbae and therefore exempt.
Vlade stank ain’t leaving as long as a certain Dallas Maverick is still active. Luckily he’s already 22, so he’s probably on the downside of his career.