State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
True but it will be if they overpay and can't make their star young big work with the overpay center. With the decline of the teams progress there are serious issues that need to be addressed sooner than later. Imagine the even bigger disaster this would have been had they matched the Bogdan contract. Yikes! And now there are different potential land mines ahead this offseason.
The center position is the biggest decision McNair has right now. It will dictate how this team will be constructed.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, I'm hanging up.

I don't think there's any question we're giving up the most talent in that trade by a pretty fair margin, and I just don't agree with the point of view that Buddy's contract is so horrible that we have to get out from under it at any cost. Buddy is slightly overpaid, but he has value, and teams that have the monetary resources to slightly overpay for a player with elite shooting who is locked up for three more years and going to have to step up and offer us something we want in return, or...we keep Buddy. Keeping Buddy is really, not a terrible outcome here. It really isn't.

An interesting trade could be CoJo for Dinwiddie.

Hes going to opt out, but we get off next years small $$ for CoJo and maybe can make an impression to sign Dinwiddie next year. Who knows.

McNair has poker faced everything. Have no idea if Vivek is meddling much either.

Sure hope he makes moves for our vets to head out of town.
McAir is nowhere to be seen all year so far. It's a bit worrisome. At least you knew Vlade wasn't locked up somewhere in a basement, blindfolded, listening to the sound of a dripping faucet. Although around free agency time that might have not been such a bad thing haha.

McAir is nowhere to be seen all year so far. It's a bit worrisome. At least you knew Vlade wasn't locked up somewhere in a basement, blindfolded, listening to the sound of a dripping faucet. Although around free agency time that might have not been such a bad thing haha.
I think McNair has communicated somewhat effectively through his silence. If he was going to prioritise winning this year, you would think Luke would have been given his marching orders already. There may have been more aggressive free agent moves - or possibly an attempt to resign guys like Baze and Len. Instead he seems - so far - content with a year of not being very good, which probably means a better draft pick.

Of course, his job is to win. Being content with losing may get you a pass this season. At some point though he might need to get a bit busier.

I think McNair has communicated somewhat effectively through his silence. If he was going to prioritise winning this year, you would think Luke would have been given his marching orders already. There may have been more aggressive free agent moves - or possibly an attempt to resign guys like Baze and Len. Instead he seems - so far - content with a year of not being very good, which probably means a better draft pick.

Of course, his job is to win. Being content with losing may get you a pass this season. At some point though he might need to get a bit busier.
What I don't understand from some here is the insistence of McNair to tell the world everything. Look how great that turned out with Vlade, bumbling that he "had a better deal 2 days ago".

McNair deserves the time to actually make moves before judging his resume. So far, he's only hit home-runs.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's not like McNair is quiet but Vivek or other sources are leaking like sieves. I think the assumption that things are still a total mess is historically fair but slightly unfounded based on Vivek's interviews prior to the season where he acknowledged his mistakes and lessons learned. Which was basically he can't run NBA like a tech firm. You must pick one direction and not have a clash of ideas. I'm certain that clash of ideas is why they passed on Luka and it made Vivek the laughingstock of the league and I'm sure a dude like that is going to spend the rest of his life trying to live it down.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Dump these clowns like Bjelica. Get younger. At this point, Fox is not a guy trying to find his way, time to let him be the big dog along with Halliburton and get rid of the vets. Surround him with eager youngsters who will be all in here.

What I don't understand from some here is the insistence of McNair to tell the world everything. Look how great that turned out with Vlade, bumbling that he "had a better deal 2 days ago".

McNair deserves the time to actually make moves before judging his resume. So far, he's only hit home-runs.
If his hands are tied in the ways being rumored, then all he has is time. And telling the world everything vs. being vapor are two different things. The trade deadline will be quite telling so we will see what goes down.

It's not like McNair is quiet but Vivek or other sources are leaking like sieves. I think the assumption that things are still a total mess is historically fair but slightly unfounded based on Vivek's interviews prior to the season where he acknowledged his mistakes and lessons learned. Which was basically he can't run NBA like a tech firm. You must pick one direction and not have a clash of ideas. I'm certain that clash of ideas is why they passed on Luka and it made Vivek the laughingstock of the league and I'm sure a dude like that is going to spend the rest of his life trying to live it down.
Exactly. NBA organizations with a ladder of opportunity and too many cooks in the kitchen primed with sharpened knives might work in certain institutions, it never does in sports. Competition in the board room if it means nobody has a final say is doom. Say what you will about Vlade but he was the first person that had real power and direction. He just overvalued his buddy to make it all work on the floor when the Lakers were more than happy to watch him walk.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Exactly. NBA organizations with a ladder of opportunity and too many cooks in the kitchen primed with sharpened knives might work in certain institutions, it never does in sports. Competition in the board room if it means nobody has a final say is doom. Say what you will about Vlade but he was the first person that had real power and direction. He just overvalued his buddy to make it all work on the floor when the Lakers were more than happy to watch him walk.
The only thing I can say about Vlade is I need to know wtf really happened that lead to us picking Bagley. Why we didn't even audition some of the other top 5.

The only thing I can say about Vlade is I need to know wtf really happened that lead to us picking Bagley. Why we didn't even audition some of the other top 5.
From what I remember it was based on Fox. He said Fox is the guy going to run the team and nobody was getting in the way of that. Of course, how he thought it wouldn't have worked is beyond me considering the Kings team he played with but whatever. Then as he routinely signed PG's like George Hill and Cory Joseph that have gotten in his way. Fact is he was right though, no way Fox is doing what he is this season and Luka has done so far side by side. Not individually. One would kind of have to play the 2nd fiddle like Haliburton is doing which I doubt either is capable of to the degree Haliburton is.

This season is lost. We have the fifth worst net rating so we are nowhere near good enough to be a playoff team. I havent watched a lot of draft related film yet but the idea of Cade Cunningham is the perfect type of player that we need. If he is what hes advertised to be, there wouldnt be a free agent or a pick from 7-10 range available to us that would even compare to the effect of that. My strategy would be: get as many of those damn lottery balls as you can. As long as you do it while giving your young players that extremely valuable experience and at the same time you could get some nice future assets by trading some vets.

I think majority of people can agree that playing 8-man vet heavy rotations to end up in the 8th-11th draft slot is the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario. Save your ammo for the future when you can actually be a good team since today we are not even close to that

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
From what I remember it was based on Fox. He said Fox is the guy going to run the team and nobody was getting in the way of that. Of course, how he thought it wouldn't have worked is beyond me considering the Kings team he played with but whatever. Then as he routinely signed PG's like George Hill and Cory Joseph that have gotten in his way. Fact is he was right though, no way Fox is doing what he is this season and Luka has done so far side by side. Not individually. One would kind of have to play the 2nd fiddle like Haliburton is doing which I doubt either is capable of to the degree Haliburton is.
That was said, but there was all this hullaballoo about Joerger wanting Luka and Williams wanting Bagley. It did seem Vivek or Vivek's kid may have also wanted Luka and somehow they all got talked into Bagley then Williams went nuclear on Joerger when he wasn't getting PT. I would love to know the real story of who actually made what decisions there.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That was said, but there was all this hullaballoo about Joerger wanting Luka and Williams wanting Bagley. It did seem Vivek or Vivek's kid may have also wanted Luka and somehow they all got talked into Bagley then Williams went nuclear on Joerger when he wasn't getting PT. I would love to know the real story of who actually made what decisions there.
It never won’t be painful. Smh fml

The real story is Vlade was the GM and responsible for the final decision.

"In a wide-ranging interview with Marcos Breton of The Sacramento Bee, Divac, who resigned as the Kings' general manager Friday, made sure it was known that the Bagley pick was on him, and it caused a rift with team owner Vivek Ranadivé.

“That was my decision,” Divac told Breton. “I still believe Marvin has big upside. But I needed more time to prove it."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/vlade-divac-takes-blame-kings-passing-luke-doncic-nba-draft
https://www.sacbee.com/article244985675.html

Vlade said many times it was his say on the moves but I'm sure there was disagreement from everyone involved. There should have been since as good as Luka is he was traded on draft night. I think it was true Vlade made the calls because Vivek didn't even have the brass the fire him. He wanted to give Joe more pull. Vlade said, "Nah, I'll bounce" and he did. As soon as what I'm sure Vlade saw as some undermining going on he didn't sit. One thing about Vlade that has to be respected is that he rarely sat for too long. He was always prepared to do something.

Vlade said many times it was his say on the moves but I'm sure there was disagreement from everyone involved. There should have been since as good as Luka is he was traded on draft night. I think it was true Vlade made the calls because Vivek didn't even have the brass the fire him. He wanted to give Joe more pull. Vlade said, "Nah, I'll bounce" and he did. As soon as what I'm sure Vlade saw as some undermining going on he didn't sit. One thing about Vlade that has to be respected is that he rarely sat for too long. He was always prepared to do something.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just unaware. Vlade was allowed to step down rather than being fired. By all accounts he had no say in the outcome, he was gone either way. The very post above yours confirms as much - "I still believe Marvin has big upside. But I needed more time to prove it."

Vlade "stepping down" was in name only.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just unaware. Vlade was allowed to step down rather than being fired. By all accounts he had no say in the outcome, he was gone either way. The very post above yours confirms as much - "I still believe Marvin has big upside. But I needed more time to prove it."

Vlade "stepping down" was in name only.
Vlade had set the limit of his own timeline at the start of his tenure if you recall. And how did it end again?

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/nba-rumors-kings-vlade-divac-rejected-shared-role-joe-dumars

"The Athletic's Sam Amick reported Friday, citing sources, that Ranadive told Divac he wanted advisor Joe Dumars to share in the responsibilities of roster decisions for the Kings.

Divac, according to Amick's sources, had "zero interest" in a power share. He wanted full control of the roster decisions."

So, a day after the Kings returned from a disappointing eight-game NBA restart in Orlando, Fla., Divac stepped down.

Is it the total truth, who knows. Spin perhaps, and there was after the fact, but Vlade set himself up to leave from day 1 and as soon as they hired Joe to hover over him it was a matter of time and a matter of time before Vivek returned to a structure closer to the backwards mess he built the foundation of his team on.

It was 100% spin, dude. Vlade didn't step down, he was fired in an amicable way.

He also stayed over a year longer than he said he would, so there goes that argument. It's not as if his "stepping down" coincided with the timeline he gave himself.

It was 100% spin, dude. Vlade didn't step down, he was fired in an amicable way.

He also stayed over a year longer than he said he would, so there goes that argument. It's not as if his "stepping down" coincided with the timeline he gave himself.
Source? It may have been simple spin, just like this Luke news is now, but if Amick reported it it was from someone connected directly to the spin. And the timeline doesn't change it, Vlade spilled the beans that he was always going to leave if he failed. Vivek didn't fire Vlade according to the history books, so there you have it.

Source? It may have been simple spin, just like this Luke news is now, but if Amick reported it it was from someone connected directly to the spin. And the timeline doesn't change it, Vlade spilled the beans that he was always going to leave if he failed. Vivek didn't fire Vlade according to the history books, so there you have it.
Source for what? It's openly accepted Vlade was allowed to step down rather than being fired. I honestly didn't even know there were people out there who thought otherwise.

The timeline absolutely does change it, btw. Vlade said he'd step down at a certain time and didn't. It's not exactly spilling the beans to say you're going to leave if you fail, is it? Given that you won't have the option of continuing if you do fail...

The reason Vlade was allowed to "step down" was exactly for people like you by the way, and I mean that with all due respect. If the history books show it, then it must be true. History books never lie, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.