[Game] Kings vs. Lakers, 3/3/21, 7pm PST 10pm EST

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We're not even half way through the season yet and we're within a couple games of the 3rd spot in the lottery and giving up 120 points a game. All indications are good if you're hoping for a high draft pick this year. Some of ya'll take this tanking thing a little too seriously if you ask me. I'm not mad we won this game. My general attitude can probably be summed up by pointing out that this was a Kings vs. Lakers game and we only made it to page 5 page 6 of the game thread. Just a bit of a shrug and then on to other things. The fans are just a disinterested in this season as the players at this point.

This is what a tank looks like. It's a slow, miserable thing. I've seen a lot of them and they all basically feel the same. Barnes is having a career year and it means nothing. Fox is playing at an All-Star level and few people outside of Sacramento's most dedicated have even noticed. If you're actively rooting for every loss you're going to drive yourselves crazy by the end of May. My advice is to look for moments in each game to cheer for and stop caring about the final score. The less you let it bother you the easier it will be to claw back from the brink and find hope again next season.

We're not even half way through the season yet and we're within a couple games of the 3rd spot in the lottery and giving up 120 points a game. All indications are good if you're hoping for a high draft pick this year. Some of ya'll take this tanking thing a little too seriously if you ask me. I'm not mad we won this game. My general attitude can probably be summed up by pointing out that this was a Kings vs. Lakers game and we only made it to page 5 page 6 of the game thread. Just a bit of a shrug and then on to other things. The fans are just a disinterested in this season as the players at this point.

This is what a tank looks like. It's a slow, miserable thing. I've seen a lot of them and they all basically feel the same. Barnes is having a career year and it means nothing. Fox is playing at an All-Star level and few people outside of Sacramento's most dedicated have even noticed. If you're actively rooting for every loss you're going to drive yourselves crazy by the end of May. My advice is to look for moments in each game to cheer for and stop caring about the final score. The less you let it bother you the easier it will be to claw back from the brink and find hope again next season.
I generally agree and I think morale will improve after the deadline assuming we have made a few moves. I think some of the panic is thinking ahead to next year. If we end up with the 8th pick in a top heavy draft, how do we not repeat what has taken place this year? Sure we will have a new coach, but we have had a lot of them. Ty in theory will be better. Fox might improve some. Will Buddy be here? Barnes? And to be honest the nice start and the 7 of 8 run really messed with some of our heads.

So many questions and not many answers.

Listen- I want to get the highest draft spot too, but did people think we would lose 38 in a row to end the season? We are going to win some games. So will Houston, OKC, and the others. Lamenting a win less than halfway through the season is the stupidest thing I’ve seen, again unless you expected to lose 38 straight.

You honestly can’t expect Luke to coach for a tank until management has signaled it. You really think he is going to close the game with Guy, Jeffries, Woodard, Ramsey, and Metu and bench Fox, Barnes, Buddy and Holmes, unless management tells him to? And generally management won’t signal it until at or near the deadline. Why? Because you usually get max value trading your guys like Buddy, Belly, Whiteside, etc... at or near the deadline, not 3 weeks before when you don’t even know who the buyers are yet.

We are in a race with 7 other teams- Minnesota and Detroit are probably locks to have the two worst records. Washington, Orlando, Cleveland, OKC, and Houston seem likely competitors, but Houston will improve a lot with Wood back. Once the deadline passes we will have plenty of time to lose games on purpose.

Whether you wanted the team to win or not, I don’t understand the last defensive stand. I’ll never understand why with under 2 seconds remaining, no timeouts for the opposition and leading by 3 you’d have any player defending INSIDE the 3 point line and chasing players well inside the arc.

Let them throw a lob dunk! Who freaking cares!

I see this nonsensical defensive approach almost every game by every team and I just don’t understand it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Whether you wanted the team to win or not, I don’t understand the last defensive stand. I’ll never understand why with under 2 seconds remaining, no timeouts for the opposition and leading by 3 you’d have any player defending INSIDE the 3 point line and chasing players well inside the arc.

Let them throw a lob dunk! Who freaking cares!

I see this nonsensical defensive approach almost every game by every team and I just don’t understand it.
Right. There were like two dudes marking Trez on that last play for no good reason in particular. Also why the hell did the Lakers have a notoriously bad at shooting hustle big on the floor in the first place?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Always nice to beat the Lakers:)

What are the thoughts on those last two fouls called on Swipa? To me they looked like no calls on review. The Refs purposely fouled out the Kings best player and there was hardly a whimper from the Kings bench.
Because Luke had already wasted his challenge on the play where CoJo fouled Kuzma’s knee with his face that somehow got overturned

Doug Christie just rubs me the wrong way at times during broadcasts. He has a lot of positives when doing analysis but the over-the-top cheerleading is just too much. It is obvious it is coming when his voice inflection changes. Ugh.

Nothing at all personal. He is a great guy and a community asset.

Doug Christie just rubs me the wrong way at times during broadcasts. He has a lot of positives when doing analysis but the over-the-top cheerleading is just too much. It is obvious it is coming when his voice inflection changes. Ugh.

Nothing at all personal. He is a great guy and a community asset.
Well, color me silly but — for a local broadcast— it’s better than cheerleading the opponent all game long. That’s what used to largely happen during the Grant-Jerry era. Call it “reverse cheerleading”.

That rubbed ME the wrong way. I know I’m far from the only one.

At heart, Jerry is a Kings cheerleader. He was just corrupted by Peaches.

I’m completely fine with DC doing color. But would love to see Jerry back too. I really dig Koz too. Always have.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to sports broadcasting, there is a fine line between enthusiasm and sounding like a screeching fool.
It is like chalk on a blackboard.