Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

My objection was based on the fact that your presentation of the trade attempted to bundle the salary of Nesmith with a portion of the Hayward TPE, and I'm fairly confident that those may not be bundled. Perhaps I misunderstand that.
well I’m double checking but I think each team can treat their end of the trade as they want. Boston takes Barnes into the TPE and Sac has the cap space to take Nesmith.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Apparently Hassan Whiteside could be a target of the Lakers

Glenn Robinson may be waived today as his contract is not guaranteed....but he’s injured so I don’t know how that works but according to a source, he’s not expecting to be back with the team.....this per Jason Anderson

Apparently Hassan Whiteside could be a target of the Lakers

Glenn Robinson may be waived today as his contract is not guaranteed....but he’s injured so I don’t know how that works but according to a source, he’s not expecting to be back with the team.....this per Jason Anderson
That opens up one roster spot.

I thought I had seen something that the Lakers were looking at Whiteside as a player off the waiver wires. If they don't want to pay, I don't want to play.

I personally would keep him rather than cut him for nothing, and with this, I would keep just in spite.

That opens up one roster spot.

I thought I had seen something that the Lakers were looking at Whiteside as a player off the waiver wires. If they don't want to pay, I don't want to play.

I personally would keep him rather than cut him for nothing, and with this, I would keep just in spite.
whiteside for ty’s old teammate Taylen Horton Tucker

whiteside for ty’s old teammate Taylen Horton Tucker
I don't know enough about him but just looking at raw stats, nothing jumped off the page at me. What are those stats not telling me. It looked like he had eight straight games without a three but didn't look like he took many.

I don't know enough about him but just looking at raw stats, nothing jumped off the page at me. What are those stats not telling me. It looked like he had eight straight games without a three but didn't look like he took many.
He had a big preseason and in some circles is considered a rising prospect. He will be a restricted free agent this year I believe and will probably get a pretty nice contract. I doubt the Lakers would trade him for Whiteside but doesn't hurt to ask.

dude12

Hall of Famer
So in the Athletic, the 2 Celtics writers came up with a hypothetical for John Collins and they agreed that something like
Payton Pritchard, Carsten Edwards, and 2 or 3 first round picks would do it for Collins

Honestly wondering if Collins is better than Barnes. I agree that offensively Collins is better but defensively, he’s not good where Barnes is solid and it appears that Collins is going to want a Max contract and will end up with something north of what Barnes is making.

For Barnes, they could get him for less is my opinion Than what the writers came up with for Collins

So in the Athletic, the 2 Celtics writers came up with a hypothetical for John Collins and they agreed that something like
Payton Pritchard, Carsten Edwards, and 2 or 3 first round picks would do it for Collins

Honestly wondering if Collins is better than Barnes. I agree that offensively Collins is better but defensively, he’s not good where Barnes is solid and it appears that Collins is going to want a Max contract and will end up with something north of what Barnes is making.

For Barnes, they could get him for less is my opinion Than what the writers came up with for Collins
That's too much for Collins IMO.

Trading for Collins forces you to pay him near the max, hes not worth it and Danny Ainge wont put out several 1st round picis for that type of deal. Danny Ainge is so stingy that if he tried to get Barnes from us, it probably would be as a salary dump without giving any significant back. People have said multiple times around the league that Ainge is very hard to deal with, very unrealistic trade scenarios and waiting for those horrible mistakes by the opposing gm

Barnes is a significantly better fit next to Tatum and Jaylen than Collins is. Better defensively, more willing to be a 3rd banana, more flexible offensively/defensively if you want to move Tatum around and isn't going to cost you near max money.

Barnes is a significantly better fit next to Tatum and Jaylen than Collins is. Better defensively, more willing to be a 3rd banana, more flexible offensively/defensively if you want to move Tatum around and isn't going to cost you near max money.
And I will personally laugh at any team if they gave up a good prospect plus 2-3 1st round picks while being forced to basically max him (as long that team isnt Kings, then it would not be a laughing matter)

And I will personally laugh at any team if they gave up a good prospect plus 2-3 1st round picks while being forced to basically max him (as long that team isnt Kings, then it would not be a laughing matter)
I wouldn't trade for him, but if the Kings clean their cap sheet (Trade Barnes/Holmes/Buddy) with almost 0 money, would you take a stab in RFA? It's not the best fit, but I think he and Bagley would compliment each other nicely on offense. Wouldn't stop a pinecone on defense, but it's rare for a quality 23 year old to be somewhat available.

I wouldn't trade for him, but if the Kings clean their cap sheet (Trade Barnes/Holmes/Buddy) with almost 0 money, would you take a stab in RFA? It's not the best fit, but I think he and Bagley would compliment each other nicely on offense. Wouldn't stop a pinecone on defense, but it's rare for a quality 23 year old to be somewhat available.
I would not throw a big offersheet for him. He is not the type of player that would change our position from .380 to .550. I dont even view Bagley as any type of future asset for us (without significant improvement) but to me him and Bagley wont fit together at all. Both are the same player, unable to defend as a 5 (the most important skill as a 5 unless you are a Jokic level offensive player) and since its not good enough way to utilize slaary cap space, I'm not going to add a max type of contract at that position with that specific skillset. If you knew you had a player like Cunningham AND you had cap space for now, then yeah I could see Collins signing being a good move but signing him to a big contract without assurences of havin that additional star level player would be bad for this franchise. Its the type of move that locks the franchise to .400 level while destroying cap flexibilty. Collins is far better than Bagley now but he still isnt nearly the guy that lifts a team as a max player

I would not throw a big offersheet for him. He is not the type of player that would change our position from .380 to .550. I dont even view Bagley as any type of future asset for us (without significant improvement) but to me him and Bagley wont fit together at all. Both are the same player, unable to defend as a 5 (the most important skill as a 5 unless you are a Jokic level offensive player) and since its not good enough way to utilize slaary cap space, I'm not going to add a max type of contract at that position with that specific skillset. If you knew you had a player like Cunningham AND you had cap space for now, then yeah I could see Collins signing being a good move but signing him to a big contract without assurences of havin that additional star level player would be bad for this franchise. Its the type of move that locks the franchise to .400 level while destroying cap flexibilty. Collins is far better than Bagley now but he still isnt nearly the guy that lifts a team as a max player
Yeah I think he clashes with Bagley a little too much. But I do think if we won the lotto a :

Fox-Hali-Cade-Collins-Holmes team could grow into a title contender. Everything you want/need from a starting 5.

dude12

Hall of Famer
In the Bee today in one of the writers Kings mailbag, the writer, I think it was Jason Anderson said a source has heard the Kings are working on a big thing/deal which would be done during the all-star break or before the trade deadline.

In the Bee today in one of the writers Kings mailbag, the writer, I think it was Jason Anderson said a source has heard the Kings are working on a big thing/deal which would be done during the all-star break or before the trade deadline.
interesting. A big deal certainly isn’t belly for a second rounder. Barnes has to be the guy

interesting. A big deal certainly isn’t belly for a second rounder. Barnes has to be the guy
Pure speculation: KAT to the Kings.

Buddy, Bagley, 2021 first, 2021 Boston first, 2023 Kings first to Min for KAT plus filler.

To get the Boston first Kings would need to trade Barnes to Boston.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hard pass on KAT unless it’s for cheap. There is a reason that Jimmy Butler wanted out of Minny, team was soft and KAT is part of that no matter how talented he is.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Pure speculation: KAT to the Kings.

Buddy, Bagley, 2021 first, 2021 Boston first, 2023 Kings first to Min for KAT plus filler.

To get the Boston first Kings would need to trade Barnes to Boston.
It sure seems to me that three starting-caliber players and two almost-certain lottery picks is quite a bit to give up for a guy who as his team's star for 5+ years has led them to one playoff appearance, one 1-4 exit, and an overall .395 record.

It sure seems to me that three starting-caliber players and two almost-certain lottery picks is quite a bit to give up for a guy who as his team's star for 5+ years has led them to one playoff appearance, one 1-4 exit, and an overall .395 record.
In a very similar situation to Cousins/Fox, I can't blame KAT for his organizational failures around him. He's an incredible player who's still somehow just 25 years old. If I can get KAT without Fox/Hali, I'm making it happen. Figure out the rest later.

Again, pure speculation, but if it was so, Buddy + Bags + 2 first would be a steal for KAT. Think Minny demands 3 first.

Buddy and Bags, if yhall haven't noticed, don't have much value around the league.

In a very similar situation to Cousins/Fox, I can't blame KAT for his organizational failures around him. He's an incredible player who's still somehow just 25 years old. If I can get KAT without Fox/Hali, I'm making it happen. Figure out the rest later.
Fox + Hali + KAT would be a top 4 Western team. Please make it happen, McNair.