Things you would change about the NBA

Simple.
Enforce traveling violations.
Enforce double dribble violations.
Enforce lane violations.
Enforce 3 second violations.

For anyone that has coached basketball, being a ref comes naturally. I watch a Kings game and just automatically call out "travel", "3 seconds", "double dribble", and "charge" at least 10 times a game when the refs are silent.

Simple.
Enforce lane violations.

For anyone that has coached basketball, being a ref comes naturally. I watch a Kings game and just automatically call out "travel", "3 seconds", "double dribble", and "charge" at least 10 times a game when the refs are silent.
You forgot moving picks.

Fouling a three point shooter only ever awards one free throw.

The incentive for three point shooters to bait defenders and then jump into them, is imho pretty ugly.
Defenders are being penalized for going all out on a close out, and spectacular effort shouldn’t be discouraged.
Gives defenders an option to foul instead of giving up a three. Sort of like fouling to prevent a layup.

(I like threes! And I like the pro game in general now, but there’s some cheesy stuff too that I’m tired of)

The incentive for three point shooters to bait defenders and then jump into them, is imho pretty ugly.
Defenders are being penalized for going all out on a close out, and spectacular effort shouldn’t be discouraged.
Gives defenders an option to foul instead of giving up a three. Sort of like fouling to prevent a layup.

(I like threes! And I like the pro game in general now, but there’s some cheesy stuff too that I’m tired of)
Maybe this would encourage shooters to work in the midrange, as defenders would have to guard them honestly

I agree on the baiting being annoying. However, if you make 3 point fouls only worth 1 point that incentivized defenders to foul really good 3 point shooters instead of allowing the shot.

I do think the NBA needs to do something to clean up the foul seeking as it definitely uglies up the game

Make moving screens automatic FT for opponent, overseen by live game watcher and subsidized at end of each quarter (sort of like injury time in soccer, only it's FT- team can choose any shooter they like, as for Ts). If permitting teams to do all sorts of shady stuff to open up shots (often 3 pointers), make it cost you down the line when you're caught.

Cap 3PT attempts to 30 per team per game, period. 3 more attempts per each OT, period.

No salary cap whatsoever, five-year maximum for contracts though.

Profit sharing amongst owners in some form, sure, and also expanded to players based upon team valuation and sales (i.e., any team sales = certain percentage into the itty as BRI, since obviously team value drive-up is due to overall health/profitability of league).

Last edited:
Carrying the ball is now enforced about the same as on a playground, which almost not at all.
Watch Harden bring the ball down sometime. His palm is literally facing up some of the time.

Last edited:
The refs have now created a stylized form of entertainment that resembles basketball.
Players routinely travel and double dribble on many possessions, sometimes multiple times. After further review I agree that moving screens sometimes look like football. Meanwhile they call ticky tack fouls way too often. There is definitely preferential treatment for some players.
The NBA needs to sit down and review how games are officiated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/lry4x7
This is whats wrong with Nba. Foul seeking behavior. When your first intent is to draw a foul by seeking contact, that should never be rewarded. That play above was contested and reviewd by refs and it still remained as a defensive foul. Thats awfull and sets a horrible example. Free throws are extremely valuable as a points per possession basis so seeking free throws by bulls*it like that should always be a no call or an offensive foul

Elimination of the hand check penalty.
IMO one of the many reasons the NBA has gone downhill the past 15 years is the implementation of the hand check rule circa 2004/05.

Another HUGE factor was allowing more and more AND1 streetball moves, such as extreme carrying and extra steps. Even the Euro step was considered traveling at one point in time. And many times it actually is because players often are afforded the latitude of extra steps in performing that move.

It really should come as no surprise these guys can average 30+ in today’s game. When you allow long limbed 6’8” players to take 3-4 steps/strides, they are gonna get to anywhere on the court they want to. Especially when handchecking or any type of physical defense isn’t permitted to impede them.

IMO, if the NBA (and NCAA) just cracked down on the ridiculous dribbling and extra steps, basketball would once again more closely resemble what it had been for a very long time.

Instead it‘s turned into a AND1 game played at Rucker Park.

I also loathe the over-reliance on 3 point shooting. Tightening down on carrying and traveling would help in that area too because players wouldn’t be able to create extra space to get off open 3’s so easily.

• Abolish the three-point shot.
I know it’ll never happen, but I’d like to see shots inside the arc — even inside the paint — count for more than shots outside the arc.

Why? Because the further and further you get from the basket, the easier it is to get an uncontested shot. It’s much harder and requires much more work and effort to get the ball closer to the basket for higher percentage shots.

That’s historically what the game of basketball has been about. Working as a team to get the best, highest
percentage shots possible. Which are always going to be closer to the actual basket.

Now, I realize it’s harder to actually convert shots further from the basket. I’m not stupid. But those are also the easiest shots to get. Why are lower percentage, easier to get attempts (bad shots) rewarded with more points??

I mean, do we really want to see a game of back and forth half court shots one day because they are worth 4 points???

That’s no fun.

I’d rather see teams rewarded for working together to get the highest percentage shots closest to the basket.

Again, I know it’ll never happen. But it’d make the same much better to watch.

All we’re largely seeing now is a glorified pre-game shootaround. Whichever team converts the highest number of long distance attempts win the game. Boring.

Imagine if the NFL/NCAA started awarding more points for longer FG’s because, well, they are harder to make. Teams would have far less incentive to drive the ball the length of the field.

Take it even further by awarding more points for TD passes over 30 or 40 yards. Imagine how that would change the focus of offenses and how it would devolve the game.

That’s what the 3 pt shot has helped do to the game of basketball. That, and head coaches no longer being able to really run the team. The players run everything now.

Last edited:
If the refs don’t know the rule, look it up or have the refs doing the replays is nj or whatever find out instead of just making up. Like, I dunno, what is considered over and back. :rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/lry4x7
This is whats wrong with Nba. Foul seeking behavior. When your first intent is to draw a foul by seeking contact, that should never be rewarded. That play above was contested and reviewd by refs and it still remained as a defensive foul. Thats awfull and sets a horrible example. Free throws are extremely valuable as a points per possession basis so seeking free throws by bulls*it like that should always be a no call or an offensive foul
This is embarrassing

Simple.
Enforce lane violations.

I'd be fine with calling/not calling them equally. The favoritism some teams and players get is blatant. The NBA is borderline WWE at this point and, in my opinion, loosing credibility.

I don't think the league has went far enough to combat tanking. So I'll add more to it.

Every single team who misses out on the playoffs gets one ping pong ball. All 14 slots get randomly selected for order.

Here's how you help long term losers.

Every year you are out of the playoffs you get one extra ping pong ball. Doesn't matter if you are 16th or 30th.

If you land a top 3 pick, then you restart back to a single ping pong ball the following year if you miss the playoffs again.

This way everyone stays competitive until the end unless they are developing future talent. I'm sick of hoping the Kings lose, sick of others blatantly tanking.

Also this makes any pick in the top 14 much more valuable, so a team can look to trade the pick for more value.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You know what else would stop tanking? Abolishing the draft. Make teams have to actually be competent, if they want to get players.
The cure should not be worse than the disease.

Small market franchises like the Kings, the Timberwolves, and more would move from tanking ("sucking with hope") to just plain sucking without hope. I know the draft is not going to be eliminated, but if we hypothesize that it was, I would not be surprised if the NBA contracted 6-8 teams within 5 years.

The cure should not be worse than the disease.

Small market franchises like the Kings, the Timberwolves, and more would move from tanking ("sucking with hope") to just plain sucking without hope. I know the draft is not going to be eliminated, but if we hypothesize that it was, I would not be surprised if the NBA contracted 6-8 teams within 5 years.
I think you'd see what we see in euro football which is that teams like the Kings would get the great players for their first contract and then they'd move to the super team after, it might just accelerate what is already happening. Once a decade you'd have a Leicester success story. I actually think it would have less impact on the NBA as it might have on the amateur ranks, where it could kill college and AAU ball as we know it, and teams would invest in amateur players early with the promise of a first team contract when they reach whatever the league playing age requirements are. Ultimately if teams have between 15-17 roster spots and there is still a salary cap, it only will change so much.

But it could totally kill the buzz for amateur leagues.

1) I think a hard salary cap would be a good thing for teams like Sacramento.
2) Also I’d like to stop whatever makes the good players go to the top four teams. I’ve seen the Lakers rebuild several times in my life, but the Kings rose to prominence only once in 35 years or whatever it’s been.
3) Also, I think I would make it illegal to palm the ball. When I was playing (not at a high level), we could never get away with palming.
I think Bogdan Bogdonavich seemed to palm it a lot. Maybe palming makes the game better , and maybe I’m just jealous that I didn’t get to do it years ago.

3) Also, I think I would make it illegal to palm the ball. When I was playing (not at a high level), we could never get away with palming.
I think Bogdan Bogdonavich seemed to palm it a lot. Maybe palming makes the game better , and maybe I’m just jealous that I didn’t get to do it years ago.
Enforce the rules or just remove/rewrite them. Palming probably doesn't matter if you are dribbling and don't break the dribble, it's the kind of ticky tack thing that can be used when a player gets on a refs bad side but forgotten about for weeks at a stretch. Traveling maybe you just put the extra step or two the good players get into the rule book and call it as written. Double Dribble, well that plain as day should always be called.

I'm unclear if the hard cap would help or hurt small market teams since outside endorsement money would then become a larger factor in player compensation and favor large markets. Ultimately that's why the Lakers are always able to attract top talent (whether it breeds on court success or not, being about 50-50). You would have to find a way to offset sponsors trying to get players to big markets to truly make things "fair" and I don't know how you do that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
1) I think a hard salary cap would be a good thing for teams like Sacramento.
Exactly. I mean, yeah, if you abolish the draft, and make no other changes, of course it's going to be bad for small markets. Granted, I'm less sympathetic to that than actual fans of small market teams but, that aside, like I said in a previous post, combine abolishing the draft with also abolishing max salaries and instituting a hard cap. The problem will correct itself. Like, seriously, there's still a maximum number of roster spots per team. You're nuts if you think that, say, Jalen Suggs would take less money to come off the bench behind Kyrie Irving, just because it's a big market, than Orlando would offer him to start, and likely give him the keys to the "kingdom."

Leave these GM's with no alternative but competence. Fans of small market teams stay complaining about the bad jobs their executives do, while they continue to support a system which incentivizes their incompetence.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So if you get fouled on a three and make one free throw you get 3 points? That is intriguing. It does speed up the game some.
I would worry about every star pump faking/taking 3's half the game except I realized that Slim also wants to end the 3 point shot entirely.

Last edited:
As we get deeper into silly season, I feel stronger and stronger that the draft lottery odds should go back to being even, at least among the 10 teams that don't make the play-in (which should stay, in my opinion). There may have once been an argument that the worst teams deserved the extra odds due to their bad luck, but at this point it's clear there is an intentional race to the bottom with teams being stripped down for pieces/parts/picks private equity style. The play-in helped some, but you can't tell me that the veterans on OKC or Detroit need the rest they're receiving now.

As we get deeper into silly season, I feel stronger and stronger that the draft lottery odds should go back to being even, at least among the 10 teams that don't make the play-in (which should stay, in my opinion). There may have once been an argument that the worst teams deserved the extra odds due to their bad luck, but at this point it's clear there is an intentional race to the bottom with teams being stripped down for pieces/parts/picks private equity style. The play-in helped some, but you can't tell me that the veterans on OKC or Detroit need the rest they're receiving now.
I like the suggestion about weighing them on a team's X number of years average.