Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

There is a reason team after team seems to try to dump him at the first available opportunity. I’m not sure exactly what it is but at this point, it’s concerning.
I think he has a bad reputation of being a headcase. To those teams that have tried to dump him, he is a gamble.

Forcing live TOV is the best way to maximize transition offense. We already have the best PG for transition offense, we should build a defense complimentary to that. I think for this team, it should be that way and Oubre may be the missing piece.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Oubre may have to get bounced around the league a couple of times before he becomes humble and understands his role. The alternative is he won't stay in his lane and continue to have a short stint to wherever he ends up.

I would kill to know who Monte is targeting in trades or FA. I want to try to win next season, I don't want Lins in 2022. We are obviously hoping to build through the draft and we have a good chance at a high pick, but we have to make a trade or sign someone as well to bring in more talent.

This draft is odd in that about 5 guys probably would be in the running for the #1 pick last year (Cade, Mobley, Kuminga, Green and Suggs) and then it appears there is a pretty big drop off. Jalen Johnson, Barnes, Ziaire are all probably in that next tier. Lots of shooting guards in the lottery.

We have to be realistic about who we can sign or trade for. All the stars are off the table. I keep circling back to Randle and Vuc because they are more realistic options. Signing Randle would signal an end to the Bagley era but Randle is already the player we hope Marvin can be and he is only 26. Vucevic is older but again, bringing an allstar to Sacramento is nearly impossible. Now maybe Marvin continues to make strides and you decide at the end of the year that he can be an all star level player.

Are there any other young and upcoming players that might be available?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would kill to know who Monte is targeting in trades or FA. I want to try to win next season, I don't want Lins in 2022. We are obviously hoping to build through the draft and we have a good chance at a high pick, but we have to make a trade or sign someone as well to bring in more talent.

This draft is odd in that about 5 guys probably would be in the running for the #1 pick last year (Cade, Mobley, Kuminga, Green and Suggs) and then it appears there is a pretty big drop off. Jalen Johnson, Barnes, Ziaire are all probably in that next tier. Lots of shooting guards in the lottery.

We have to be realistic about who we can sign or trade for. All the stars are off the table. I keep circling back to Randle and Vuc because they are more realistic options. Signing Randle would signal an end to the Bagley era but Randle is already the player we hope Marvin can be and he is only 26. Vucevic is older but again, bringing an allstar to Sacramento is nearly impossible. Now maybe Marvin continues to make strides and you decide at the end of the year that he can be an all star level player.

Are there any other young and upcoming players that might be available?
Jalen Johnson might be in that top tier for me, he's inconsistent but he shows flashes of being a do-it-all elite swingman type. Zaire might be too.

We should be keeping an eye on the John Collins situation. In some ways he is comparable to Marvin and we might find ourselves in a similar situation as the Hawks a year from now. They are both plus offensive bigs who don’t currently offer much defensively. It sounds like John wants close to max money and I assume Marvin will want something similar if he keeps making strides. What can Atlanta get in return if they decide to trade him?

We should be keeping an eye on the John Collins situation. In some ways he is comparable to Marvin and we might find ourselves in a similar situation as the Hawks a year from now. They are both plus offensive bigs who don’t currently offer much defensively. It sounds like John wants close to max money and I assume Marvin will want something similar if he keeps making strides. What can Atlanta get in return if they decide to trade him?
Don't care what Marvin wants. Make him a RA and let the market decide. No point out bidding yourself.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know his free agency status but another player I'd like the Kings to take a look at would be Sterling Brown. He is 25 years old, is a good defender and a decent three point shooter.

Kelly Oubre Jr is available. I think this team is missing a long disruptive wing that can generates steals and deflections. Last year we had Ariza then Bazemore, but this year we have no one. It is a big reason why this team is so bad at forcing TOV.

I don't think we have enough to trade for Oubre. Go after him at the end of this year. Would be a great fit, defensively.
Would you give up Buddy to get him? Not saying GS would even be open to that, as they would have to agree to take on a few more years of Buddy’s deal, but if they are looking to replace a sharpshooter like Klay I think Buddy can be a decent to above average placeholder for him until he returns from injury next year

Would you give up Buddy to get him? Not saying GS would even be open to that, as they would have to agree to take on a few more years of Buddy’s deal, but if they are looking to replace a sharpshooter like Klay I think Buddy can be a decent to above average placeholder for him until he returns from injury next year
I'd say no. Oubre's contract is expiring anyway. I think Buddy's trade return can be higher.

Talk about defensive wings, Otto Porter is a going to be a FA

I am going to watch closely at Stanley Johnson, another FA wing, this afternoon. Dude is built like Ron Artest, defends like Artest too.

Ok, he wants 100 mil and another team has cash in hand. Now what?
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I am not sold on Marvin ever being what we always wanted him to be. Personally I would rather have Jabari Parker in there at this point. If he's healthy we would pretty much get the same output that Marvin has been giving us. At least Parker can hit a free throw. Being kind of sarcastic with this point so don't take that seriously.

But in 3 years Marvin hasn't shown us anything new other than he cannot hit a free throw to save his life. The things he's supposed to improve on (as a prospect) he's not improving. He's looking like the same player we saw on the floor two years ago. I say let him walk, or trade him. Maybe get rid of Buddy, and Marvin in a package deal. Our team (on paper) is too good to be losing the way it is now.

I would probably build around Haliburton. You can see just by the way he plays that he's going to be a very special player. Not sure if both he and Fox can play together on a starting lineup or not.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Ok, he wants 100 mil and another team has cash in hand. Now what?
I don't see it playing out this way. Never know, but we've seen with big men we've been not quite sure what to do with, they all wind up getting minimum deals. I definitely agree that if he won't agree to reasonable terms that we should let the market dictate terms and probably match. It will probably be in the range of what Bogi got, maybe less because teams seem to be paying for shooters and playmakers and not size (which to be fair, is a good thing, those days when random 7 footer won the lottery every year sorta sucked no matter what you think of the overuse of the 3).

I don't see it playing out this way. Never know, but we've seen with big men we've been not quite sure what to do with, they all wind up getting minimum deals. I definitely agree that if he won't agree to reasonable terms that we should let the market dictate terms and probably match. It will probably be in the range of what Bogi got, maybe less because teams seem to be paying for shooters and playmakers and not size (which to be fair, is a good thing, those days when random 7 footer won the lottery every year sorta sucked no matter what you think of the overuse of the 3).
Collins is probably the best comparison. He is a big who isn’t great at any one thing and is below average defensively. Both players have time to improve. I assume that we match if it’s in Bogie territory

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Collins is probably the best comparison. He is a big who isn’t great at any one thing and is below average defensively. Both players have time to improve. I assume that we match if it’s in Bogie territory
Not for nothing but I feel like Bagley has far more potential to become a positive defensive player (and has displayed more effort on that end) than Collins.

If we can find a team to offload Cojo onto can we sign IT for the reminder of the year? Another lovable locker room leader from a prior Kings era, similar to Whiteside, that we can plug and play into our rotation. He can get buckets off the bench too and play off the ball spotting up for 3’s from what I remember, at this point why the hell not?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Jason Anderson of the Bee has mentioned that Celtics are targeting Harrison Barnes in a trade. Doesn’t say the Kings are interested though.

As long as the Kings are in this, I don’t think you can trade Barnes or Hield unless you want to alienate your team including Fox.

But for shizz and giggles, at a minimum, Aaron Nesmith, unprotected first and who else knows. I’d rake them over the coals for a deal

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not interested in trading Barnes. By all accounts he is happy here, is playing his butt off and doing what we had always wanted out of him, and is a vet leader.

When it comes to Buddy, there's a lot of factors. Does he still want to be moved or will he want to be moved when Hali takes the starting spot? Who are we getting in return? I am not interested in moving a guy just to free cap space because we had second thoughts about the deals, but if it makes the team better all options are on the table.

I like the Celtics but Danny Ainge can pound sand.

Last edited:
I would have been onboard earlier in the season but not now. We would blow our chance for the playoffs and ruin chemistry. Now if we are 5 games below .500 at the trade deadline, then you would have to reconsider. Don’t see that happening at this point.

Jason Anderson of the Bee has mentioned that Celtics are targeting Harrison Barnes in a trade. Doesn’t say the Kings are interested though.

As long as the Kings are in this, I don’t think you can trade Barnes or Hield unless you want to alienate your team including Fox.

But for shizz and giggles, at a minimum, Aaron Nesmith, unprotected first and who else knows. I’d rake them over the coals for a deal
the Celtics can kick rocks. Because we know there is no way in hell they offer up any sort of deal of substance

I would have been onboard earlier in the season but not now. We would blow our chance for the playoffs and ruin chemistry. Now if we are 5 games below .500 at the trade deadline, then you would have to reconsider. Don’t see that happening at this point.
As much as I think Buddy needs to be traded long-term for Hali's development and to keep Holmes, you just can't flip any of the top 6 at this point. Would be very similar to firing Mike Malone after a 9-6 start type of detrimental impact on the team. Operate on the fringes, use some 2nd round picks, try to flip the bench into something.

Unless we are talking about leveraging players (not Fox and Hali) and our picks to land a bonafide and young star - moving any of our top 6 makes no sense. We’d then be looking to replace the players we just traded. Monte has some tough decisions to make - but now is not the time to get rid of good players for future flexibility.

As much as I think Buddy needs to be traded long-term for Hali's development and to keep Holmes, you just can't flip any of the top 6 at this point. Would be very similar to firing Mike Malone after a 9-6 start type of detrimental impact on the team. Operate on the fringes, use some 2nd round picks, try to flip the bench into something.
we might find we already have some of that help on the roster. DQ seems like he will be back very soon and as I’ve mentioned before we are going to have to consider bringing Belly back into the rotation if we think we are playoff bound.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I just don't get what the Celtics have to offer here. They're not going to send us Kemba (not a great fit with Fox anyway), they're not going to send Brown, they're not going to send Tatum. They also don't have any first round picks except their own, which will be late picks for the foreseeable future. Nesmith has shown basically nothing so far, so I don't see how he's terribly enticing.

OK, but how about this. Here's perhaps the only way to structure this that gets me vaguely interested. We make two simultaneous trades.

#1: Barnes to the Celtics for a portion of their trade exception (via Hayward) and some combination of picks.
#2: Cojo to the Celtics for Smart and Robert Williams

So ultimately, the deal ends up being Barnes/CoJo for Smart/Williams/picks. Here Smart is our upgrade on CoJo, and Williams comes in as a bench player that rebounds and blocks shots and stays out of the way on offense.

Still, I think this is a pretty big L for us as CoJo isn't that huge of an anchor (he's gone after this year) and Barnes is a major piece and really our only legitimate full-size wing. How do we replace Barnes? How many picks in the 20s make this deal worthwhile? I really don't think the Celtics can offer much more value than that. And look, we're in playoff position right now. Maybe that falls apart later but right now, why do we sell? The right move seems to be to KEEP Barnes and figure out how to improve around a core of Fox/Hali/Barnes/Bagley (yes, Bagley), potentially using Hield's value to supplement that in a trade - but a value-for-value trade, not a salary dump like some seem to think is appropriate. Holmes seems to like it here, Whiteside seems to like it here, so let's hope we can re-sign those two to hold down the paint.

I guess the recent stretch of wins has me optimistic again, but trading Barnes to the Celtics looks like a tanking move any way the C's try to play it, and I'm not really interested (unless they want to put Tatum on the table ;)).