Where's the Love for Coach Walton?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Like I said, who you going to put out there for 20 minutes as the 4th guard? If there are no other viable option to fill in that 20 minutes, the alternative of sticking someone like Guy or Ramsey (who are not ready for PT) would make the Kings worse than CoJo does.

TBH, you guys make it out like he has Chris Paul, Lou Williams or Fred Van Fleet sitting at the end of the bench waiting to relieve Fox when he needs a breather.
I take Guy over CoNo every single day.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Like I said, who you going to put out there for 20 minutes as the 4th guard? If there are no other viable option to fill in that 20 minutes, the alternative of sticking someone like Guy or Ramsey (who are not ready for PT) would make the Kings worse than CoJo does.

TBH, you guys make it out like he has Chris Paul, Lou Williams or Fred Van Fleet sitting at the end of the bench waiting to relieve Fox when he needs a breather.
Actually, I am of the opinion at this point in Cojo’s career that we would slightly upgrade the production with a Kyle Guy/Justin James platoon as the backups and who they would be guarding

I take Guy over CoNo every single day.
In time that may happen, but Guy needs to win the coaches trust before he gets those minutes. And eventually he may get those minutes.

But as for now, the Kings are winning with the lineup Luke is putting out there, so why not enjoy the moment?

In time that may happen, but Guy needs to win the coaches trust before he gets those minutes. And eventually he may get those minutes.

But as for now, the Kings are winning with the lineup Luke is putting out there, so why not enjoy the moment?
Because moaning is fun? :)

How do you know the young guys aren't ready for playing time? What's the worst that can happen by trying it out? We already know Joseph is bad and has no future with this team. I'd much rather find out what Ramsey/Guy are made of and potentially find out if we have a future rotation piece.

Absolutely no one is saying this. Weird strawman argument. We're saying we have a plethora of young guards on the bench (Guy/Ramsey/James) who can fill that 15-20 minute role. You could also try playing less 3 guard lineups during the game (outside of the death lineup) and rotate Fox/Buddy/Hali more as the guard rotation and try Woodard at the 3.

But back to the topic of the thread...

Walton absolutely deserves props. This team looked left for dead and that it gave up on him and they've rallied to a 7-1 record, which is hard to do at any time. Defense is significantly better and he's realized this teams depth is atrocious and is putting all his eggs in the top 6 guys.

I don't get to watch games, so will not hazard a comment on the actual play. However if +/- is any indication (I know it's often flawed, but given our relatively tight rotations, perhaps not so much), CoJo has been quite bad. Here are his numbers for the last few games
Clips: -6
Nuggets: +1
Celtics: -2
Pelicans: -5
Heat: -11 (He also went 0-4, had 1 assist and 2 turnovers in a game we lost by 1 point)
Raptors: -10 (though he did have an excellent shooting game here)
Magic: +1 (In a game we won by 14 points)

For the season, he's averaging 5.9 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.1 turnovers, while shooting 42.2% overall and 30.2% from 3. These are fairly pedestrian numbers. He might still be better than Guy, but at some point, we need to see that given consistent minutes, can he do better than CoJo?

Thanks Luke for reading my comments and adjusting your system. Finally, you understood what I meant to say when I keep telling you your drive and kick with Fox is getting old fast. PM me if you need more tips. ;)

Hield is learning to contribute without shooting. He acts as a decoy sometimes drawing the attention of the defense. He is a great rebounder for a guard and has led the team in that category several times this year. He is a great foul shooter and the guy whose hands you put the ball in at the end of games when the other team is going to foul. He is learning how to assist other players. Not a great ball handler, but is starting to realize it. The defense is still a work in progress.

OK, so...I will give credit to Walton and this team for their recent run of winning, but...their wins against playoff teams from last look like this:

Boston was missing Kemba
Clippers didn't have Playoff P or Beverly
Nuggets were missing Gary Harris and Jamal Murray

While those teams are all arguably still better than us without those players, it's much closer.

We are doing this by also riding a 6 man lineup for the most part.

I'm still not on board. If fox wasn't playing the best basketball of his life we don't win half these games. Not some great playcalling, not some great substitutions. Individuals playing almost hero ball and getting away with it is how we are winning.

Bagley is being underused by any standard.
Whiteside is finally getting the minutes we called for early in season
He still over using cojo.
Barnes getting to many minutes we could easily sprinkle more Bagley in there to alleviate this.

I will say something clicked with the team during this streak. They are playing more as a team. I attribute this to player leadership and growth. Walton must be Givin something for this I guess. But I haven't seen any adjustments that he's doing now that he wasn't doing during our losing streak except the bone headed move of not playing Whiteside

Well, who would he use as that 4th guard? Kyle Guy for 20 min a game? If he did, the Kings wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs picture right now.
CoJo still offers a veteran hand and defensive presence when he is on the floor. The Kings have been winning these tight games and having a veteran keeping you close during the mid-game starter rest time, means you are in position to try and win in the forth quarter.
So if Im understanding you, you’re saying the Kings are sniffing for play offs because of Cojo?? And because he’s a veteran he’s been keeping the games close? Are you serious? What games are you watching? Everytime he steps on Court he loses any type of lead we have, occasionally (and I say this hesitantly) makes a few points, he’s made bad passes. At least Kyle played for what ....two minutes and scored 5 and hustles...SMH

So if Im understanding you, you’re saying the Kings are sniffing for play offs because of Cojo?? And because he’s a veteran he’s been keeping the games close? Are you serious? What games are you watching? Everytime he steps on Court he loses any type of lead we have, occasionally (and I say this hesitantly) makes a few points, he’s made bad passes. At least Kyle played for what ....two minutes and scored 5 and hustles...SMH
What other proven NBA player do the Kings have to put in as the 4th guard currently? Eventually, Kyle Guy may gain the trust of Coach to give him those minutes, but CoJo has been a quality defensive guard in the NBA for 9+ years. He was considered one of the better backup point guards in the NBA up until these last 20 games.

If this is truly the worst that all you Walton Haters keep coming back to, complaining about CoJo's minutes as the 4th guard, I think Luke is doing a pretty good job. You guys are complaining about the 4th guard minutes and the Kings are currently 12-11 and in the 7th seed for the playoffs. SMH