NFL 2020-21 Season

Allen should be running the ball more and opening it up with scrambling - making the Chiefs pay for rushing 5 and 6. And Jeezus that dropped pass on Singletary was the single worst play of the game for their offense. That was inexcusable.

Bucs are getting steamrolled. Until cap hell catches the Chiefs (or injuries) they’re going to keep getting there.
Probably, Have had enough of the Chiefs, already tired of them -- too bad divisional teams are the only ones that seem competitive against them. This would've been the same score for the Browns had Mahomes stayed in....

When they’re not tearing your heart out they’re incredible to watch. They’re an unbelievable football team.
Would've liked to see them play the 2014 Seahawks or maybe 2001 Ravens.....<impossible>.......want to see an opponent really bring some defensive matching talent. The Bucs are playing pretty good defense coming into the Super Bowl, but more on that in a second. I knew the 49ers were in for it last year even with the top defense in the league. The Patriots in 2019 beat the Chiefs the same way the Raiders did this season, with more offense. And if you look, almost all of the Chiefs losses with Mahomes - the other team did not stop the Chiefs, but rather outscored them -beat them in a high score-fest. In other words the Chiefs force their opponent to play to their strength.

Time to rewatch the regular season Bucs game. Sad that the Bills couldn't even match their regular season performance today. I enjoyed the NFC title game, but not the AFC game, not so much for the loss, but the lack of not getting up for the game (ill-preparedness).

I remember the regular season game when watching the highlights - Bucs get blitzed in the 1st quarter and try to play catchup but cant bridge it.
Defense registers 2 turnovers. Hill torched them in the 1st quarter especially. Dont see how it'll be any closer than that, but hope it will be. Though unlikely, perhaps the Bucs turn in a stronger defensive game.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Would've liked to see them play the 2014 Seahawks or maybe 2001 Ravens.....<impossible>.......want to see an opponent really bring some defensive matching talent. The Bucs are playing pretty good defense coming into the Super Bowl, but more on that in a second. I knew the 49ers were in for it last year even with the top defense in the league. The Patriots in 2019 beat the Chiefs the same way the Raiders did this season, with more offense. And if you look, almost all of the Chiefs losses with Mahomes - the other team did not stop the Chiefs, but rather outscored them -beat them in a high score-fest. In other words the Chiefs force their opponent to play to their strength.

Time to rewatch the regular season Bucs game. Sad that the Bills couldn't even match their regular season performance today. I enjoyed the NFC title game, but not the AFC game, not so much for the loss, but the lack of not getting up for the game (ill-preparedness).
What’s hurts last year is 9 times out of 10, probably even more, the Chiefs beat the Niners. But that was the one game the Niners should have won, but every single person from coach to player choked all over themselves the second they got that last INT.

and that one year SB window is currently slammed shut... depending on the QB they get this offseason.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I remember the regular season game when watching the highlights - Bucs get blitzed in the 1st quarter and try to play catchup but cant bridge it.
Defense registers 2 turnovers. Hill torched them in the 1st quarter especially. Dont see how it'll be any closer than that, but hope it will be. Though unlikely, perhaps the Bucs turn in a stronger defensive game.
Fisher on KC’s O-Line probably popped his Achilles. So maybe TB’s line will be able to bring down Mahomes. But I won’t believe that’s even possible until I see it happen.

Fisher on KC’s O-Line probably popped his Achilles. So maybe TB’s line will be able to bring down Mahomes. But I won’t believe that’s even possible until I see it happen.
Last Super Bowl the 49ers got some decent pressure on Mahomes the first 3 quarters and it didn't matter - and the 49ers defense last year was absolutely better than the Bucs defense this year....the overwhelming trend is the Chiefs offensive potency - in any quarter they can drop 21 pts and snap the game wide open. For the Bucs in the regular season, it was the 1st quarter (17 pts). IIs actually an overachievement for the Bucs to just make it to the Superbowl imo. Brady will have to have a near flawless game.

What’s hurts last year is 9 times out of 10, probably even more, the Chiefs beat the Niners. But that was the one game the Niners should have won, but every single person from coach to player choked all over themselves the second they got that last INT.

and that one year SB window is currently slammed shut... depending on the QB they get this offseason.
I said this last year, you hand the game ball to the Chiefs defense, who blanked the 49ers offense for over a quarter. The 49ers defense did their job for 3 quarters; the offense needed to backup the defense and couldn't. What was it 5 49er scoreless drives from end of the 3rd to game end, and an abandoning of the run game? We knew the Chiefs offense was not going to be kept down all game they never have been with Mahomes. The 49ers offense were stymied. This Super Bowl the same calculus figures - how well can the Bucs offense play? Can they put up 40+ pts? Would love it.

the Packers moving up to draft a QB in the first round without even consulting the HOF QB they already had on the roster last season remains an utterly dumb move even moreso in the context that the dude couldn’t even make it to the second string of their roster this season.
Who is the 2nd string QB? I peeped their roster and they only have 2 QBs listed?

It is definitely weird to use a draft pick when your current QB is under contract for 4 years, considering the idea right now with young QBs is to get at least 3 years out of them on their rookie deal.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Who is the 2nd string QB? I peeped their roster and they only have 2 QBs listed?

It is definitely weird to use a draft pick when your current QB is under contract for 4 years, considering the idea right now with young QBs is to get at least 3 years out of them on their rookie deal.
Tim Boyle ... I didn’t know this, I had to do some Google research.

I don't think it's slammed shut even if they run it back with Jimmy G. The Packers and Bucs look like wild card teams from yesteryear. I think the Niners would have had a good shot at a rematch in the superbowl with Mahomes. The NFC just seems weak right now.

Tim Boyle ... I didn’t know this, I had to do some Google research.
oh I see him on their RFA list. and yeah, sleuthing... looks like he appeared in 8 games according to pro football reference. And it was either solely to kneel down or hand the ball off as he just has like multiple rushes for negative yards. Inspiring stuff.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's slammed shut even if they run it back with Jimmy G. The Packers and Bucs look like wild card teams from yesteryear. I think the Niners would have had a good shot at a rematch in the superbowl with Mahomes. The NFC just seems weak right now.
A healthy Niners definitely makes the playoffs. I just can’t see Jimmy doing enough without an elite defense sitting on the other side of the ball.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about the Chiefs is that a lot of their big money deals don't kick in until next season (Mahomes is making less than a million dollars this year) so this is pretty much their last hurrah with the current roster before they probably have to retool a lot of the supporting cast. They're already over the projected cap next season with like half their o-line, Kelce, Hill, Mahomes, and their two good d-linemen.

The thing about the Chiefs is that a lot of their big money deals don't kick in until next season (Mahomes is making less than a million dollars this year) so this is pretty much their last hurrah with the current roster before they probably have to retool a lot of the supporting cast. They're already over the projected cap next season with like half their o-line, Kelce, Hill, Mahomes, and their two good d-linemen.
Yup. I've seen people penciling them in as the next Patriots and it's a bit hold up here. We'll never see that because Brady deferred the big pay day for so long. We've watched super teams come and go as soon as the QBs got paid. The one thing I will say is right now Mahomes definitely deserves every penny and a lot of the QBs who got paid did not. He makes miracles happen. But once the roster starts turning over we will see if he can sustain it. I think he might be the one.

Yup. I've seen people penciling them in as the next Patriots and it's a bit hold up here. We'll never see that because Brady deferred the big pay day for so long. We've watched super teams come and go as soon as the QBs got paid. The one thing I will say is right now Mahomes definitely deserves every penny and a lot of the QBs who got paid did not. He makes miracles happen. But once the roster starts turning over we will see if he can sustain it. I think he might be the one.

Andy Reids a good coach, but he's not in Belechik's class. The Chiefs current team looks a bit more talented than Patriots during the early/mid 2010 team at least on offense though not as well coached. This Chiefs team may be the most talented offense in NFL history....Dallas in the 90s was a traditional run/pass balance, focusing more on runs. The 49ers of the 80s did not have as good athletes I dont think. Chiefs defensive coaching plans especially these 2 championship seasons have them pinning back their ears much more than Patriots of years past who won many years with discipline and methodically dissecting defenses. With the Chiefs its less a dissection, but mostly the Mahomes show single handedly orchestrating huge plays with unbelievable throwing accuracy (more on Mahomes in a sec) Don't think so? the Cleveland game was simple proof. With Mahomes out for 1.5 quarters, the team was beneath the Browns talent level barely holding them off in the 2nd half. The Chiefs coaches have the luxury of knowing they have the best offense (and QB) to pick up the pieces/mistakes the defense makes. Right now the Chiefs are just too much offensively for any other team.

I think next after Mahomes, without Kelce, the Chiefs take a sizable hit on offense. (Sans Mahomes) Kelce has been the biggest nightmare (even as quick as Hill is) for defenses and Mahomes fallback receiver when in trouble -- Waller is a better athlete and this season pretty close but not as good a route runner. Kelce is the best receiver at TE right now. With a lesser Tight End Chiefs passing game takes a noticeable hit.

You can see how baseball has amplified Mahomes football game He's is confident and effective at tossing the ball at most any angle and without set feet, and often looks like a short stop when throwing. He may be the best in the league at reading pass-rushes and probably has close to the lowest "happy-feet" in the NFL -- this is in no small part because of his baseball training. (Maybe Nick Foles, is less fazed by pass-rushes and you see how injured he's been) However, one of the downsides of Mahomes throwing is the use-danger to his elbow....to get the kind of desired velocity he needs to snap his elbow forward....granted, he doesn't often snap his elbow, and he's only throwing it 40 or 50 times a game vs 100 for a starting pitcher - but it could be an issue as he gets older.