[Game] Kings vs. Clippers, 1/15/21 7pm PST, 10pm EST

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sacramento Kings: 2-6 since I said I would only do grade threads after wins. ( I didn't after their last two wins anyways.)

This was going to be some long grand introduction to some long-winded metaphor involving how I am terrible at writing first drafts of stuff and how running a basketball team is like writing a novel/story/article/cereal box but then I realized that unwinding that ball of yarn would take a long while and that, heck, if running a basketball team were like writing a novel, Monte McNair would be doing it while the only paper available was a sheaf of high quality paper that already had a bunch of doodles of boobs and poops on it (the roster) and the printer was somehow permanently out of ink aside from wasting sheet after sheet of paper printing out Cory Joseph's name.

On offense at least, the team appears to have figured out some semblance of a system, although most of that may just be a product of the guys running around with blindfolds on on defense, trying to let the other team score as fast as possible so they get the ball back. The starting lineup, for all the angst about playing two bigs and Marvin Bagley's dad, has been incredibly productive as of late on that end, with Marvin Bagley discovering enough of a stroke that teams can't completely pack the paint against De'Aaron whenever he touches the ball. Luke Walton has even stopped designing post up plays like this is 1987 and he's coaching the Houston Rockets.

Defensively, I don't think this team is nearly as bad as it has been over the last couple of weeks. After a promising start to the season, the Kings have completely fallen apart defending even the most basic of plays, switching so much on pick and rolls that opposing guards are seemingly seeing more time being defended by Marvin Bagley than by our guards. This actually changed against Portland, only for Damien Lillard to go absolutely bonkers and post a 40-point, 13 assist, 0 turnover night on us, which in our guys' defense seemingly happens at least once a year whenever we play the Blazers. It's yet to be seen whether or not this is the end of switching being a default thing for us but for a night at least it was a change that needed to get done. (Not coincidentally, it was Bagley's best defensive performance as a King).

The elephant in the room is the CoJo-spamming printer, Luke Walton, who is now blatantly in desperately throw stuff at the wall and hope it works-mode. Nothing says this like randomly giving a two-way player 4th quarter minutes in a close game in lieu of giving more playing time to the well-rested 2nd overall pick dude who plays the same position, who rather famously has not been seeing fourth quarter minutes this season. At the same time, Luke has shorted his guard rotation to give Fox/Hield/Haliburton 30+ minutes a night while also somehow managing to give Cojo a bunch of minutes and chances to get blown by on defense as Mark Jones sings his praises. Thanks to the abbreviated nature of this season, it's hard to find a gap in the Kings schedule suitable for firing a lame duck and installing D'Antoni acolyte Alvin Gentry as interim coach but it sure seems like things are reaching a boiling point. If there is an eventual COVID-fueled season pause, don't be surprised to see Luke Walton gone when play resumes.

Which brings us back to the roster. With the Harden trade yet again resetting the trade market to absolutely ludicrous effect (the Houston Rockets went from having absolutely no picks to having absolute unprotected control of eight of Brooklyn's), a Buddy trade or even a Barnes trade to an east coast team desperate to match up against the Bucks or Nets could net quite the haul. So the question then becomes: "Who is a core piece going forward?"

More than a playoff berth or even a number one pick, this clarity might be the most important thing to measure this season.

Awards
Tony Delk Memorial Award - Gary Trent Jr. Trent has spent most of the year in the Blazers doghouse for some reason, which didn't prevent him from showing up and dominating us on both sides of the floor for short stretches.

Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner Award - Luke Walton.

Jason Hart-Andres Nocioni - Glenn Robinson III, who saw 15 minutes of playing time (4 less than Marvin Bagley) despite only having three points and two assists and not being Cory Joseph. I was in favor of him seeing Bjeli's minutes but not if this is all he produces.

Mikki Moore - Derrick Jones Jr. The pluses: two absolutely thunderous dunks. The minuses: Pretty much everything else about his night.

Chris Paul Floppy Award- Dame Lillard, who spent the entire beginning of the third quarter flopping his way to an 18 point deficit before finally settling in to destroy us. Honorable mention goes to Jusef Nurkic, who apparently had the highest center of gravity in the world judging from how often he would wind up getting thrown to the floor. (Update: He broke his wrist and is now out for the foreseeable future)

WTF Moment of the Game - Chimezie Metu 4th quarter minutes.

Today brings a showdown with the Clippers, who despite famously getting blown out by 50 points are among the best teams in the league. The Kings tend to play the Clippers well, with De'Aaron's dressing down of them pre-COVID remaining one of the few highlights from the before times.

Nic Batum has quietly been a great pick up for the Clippers after the Hornets cut him to max out Gordon Hayward. Finally back on a winning team, he's provided a bit of a spark as a do-it-all 3/4 wing beside Kawhi and Paul George, who has also had a good season despite everyone apparently hating him now.

Their big man depth chart hasn't missed a beat even with Trez going to the Lakers. Serge Ibaka provides the starting lineup with maximum spacing and excellent switchability and rim-protection on defense. This has moved Ivica Zubac to the bench to play along side Marcus Morris.

If there is a weakness in the Clippers roster, it is their guard position. Both Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly are listed as questionable for the game, which knowing the Kings' luck means that they are not only playing but also planning on dropping 50 points on us tonight. Luke Kennard has been underwhelming as the second of the Clips' big offseason acquisitions, shooting the three well but also posting similar defensive numbers as Lou Williams. This too means that he should be dropping 40 on us tonight. If Beverly is out, De'Aaron could have another huge night. If both he and Lou are out, I have no idea who will play point guard for them because Reggie Jackson certainly is not good anymore.

Final Predictions: Kings 131, Clippers 127
I know I know, predicting a win against a team far better than the one you just lost to is stupid but I can't help myself. Kings-Clips games tend to be close for whatever reason and I anticipate this being the same. As long as the Kings can avoid just imploding on defense, I think they can score enough points to hang around. We shall see.

I've got some deadlines to meet and just ran out of coffee so until the game, coreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosepcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephhcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoreyjosephcoryjoseph

“Who’s a core piece moving forward?”

Fox, Hali, Probably Bagley but even if he isn’t you play him like he is until you know what you have.

Open season on every single other member of the roster.
Add Metu and Woodard. All others are trade bait. And if Walton survives this season, Holmes.

“Who’s a core piece moving forward?”

Fox, Hali, Probably Bagley but even if he isn’t you play him like he is until you know what you have.

Open season on every single other member of the roster.
And I really, really hope McNair poaches Lonzo this off-season. If yhall love Hali, you’ll love Lonzo.

It appears I’m of the minority opinion on Bagley here on the forum, but I’m happy with his current role on the team. He had an ok rookie year followed by a bad sophomore showing that carried over into his third season. After pressing early, he has settled into a bit of a groove in the last several games. Part of what we are building here is team chemistry if we are of the belief several of these guys are part of the core. That gets a bit dicey if better players are benched in favor of development. I’d prefer his progression into crunch time minutes come because he has outplayed the other options. If he keeps playing the way he has been, he will be getting those minutes before we know it. That might also open up trade opportunities if we are so inclined.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Kings played up to their potential, they just got beat at home by Portland.
That is not the coach's fault.
I’m glad your sure about that because I’m not. Can’t explain the Metu playing time last game. Not that I don’t want to see him but, you know, maybe ease him into action in the first half for a short stint and not crunch time minutes.

My question for the game, will we see Metu more and more or was that just a slap at Whiteside because he tried to drive on a defender last game....resulting in the slowest drive to the paint of all time and a turnover

I’m not actively shopping them, but if another team calls and offers a future asset or young piece with solid potential... sorry, fellas, you’re out.
Trading a player like Barnes for "a future asset or a young piece with solid potential" is exactly why the Kings have not had a winning record in 10 years. If they were in the stock market they would be buying futures. The problem is there is a game tonight.

At one time the Kings had a healthy Cousins, Isaiah and Gay in the starting lineup together all averaging 20 points or more. They traded them all away.

I’m glad your sure about that because I’m not. Can’t explain the Metu playing time last game. Not that I don’t want to see him but, you know, maybe ease him into action in the first half for a short stint and not crunch time minutes.

My question for the game, will we see Metu more and more or was that just a slap at Whiteside because he tried to drive on a defender last game....resulting in the slowest drive to the paint of all time and a turnover
Did Walton address the Metu sighting? Duece and Mo hypothesized they might have been cautious with Bags because he got his wrist hit a couple times right before he got the hook.

Metu promptly went straight at the basket and jammed the ball.
Guilty of game speed vs. practice speed.

I put in a play on the AZ vs. OSU game last night. OSU was unable to play anyone for a while because of Covid, so they didn't score till the 11 minute mark (from 20 Mins). I got the play (over 1H), but had totally assumed it was sunk cost. The reason? AZ was scoring in bunches and OSU picked up their scoring around the 7 min mark. Metu, I suspect, was guilty of that with those two turnovers. Portland beat him up those first few possessions.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I guess I just don’t understand for the life of me why Marvin plays only 19 minutes a game when he’s playing well, what the Walton infatuation with Cojo is because he’s mostly not good, what the hell did Whiteside do to Walton, and how the heck do we develop these seemingly talented young guys in Woodard, Ramsey and Metu. Go look at other teams stats and specifically those teams who are playoff bound and see how they are able to utilize these younger guys in short stints at least yet Walton can’t get our young guys any meaningful run. Falling into the same trap as when Vlade was here which is trying to get the last playoff spot and not develop any guys. Long term Big picture is sacrificed for a short term goal. It is dumb.

I guess I just don’t understand for the life of me why Marvin plays only 19 minutes a game when he’s playing well, what the Walton infatuation with Cojo is because he’s mostly not good, what the hell did Whiteside do to Walton, and how the heck do we develop these seemingly talented young guys in Woodard, Ramsey and Metu. Go look at other teams stats and specifically those teams who are playoff bound and see how they are able to utilize these younger guys in short stints at least yet Walton can’t get our young guys any meaningful run. Falling into the same trap as when Vlade was here which is trying to get the last playoff spot and not develop any guys. Long term Big picture is sacrificed for a short term goal. It is dumb.
It is especially dumb because he's not even giving us the best chance to win on any given night (pulling Whiteside for Metu, playing CoJo when he's trash etc). He's both sabotaging games and hindering development of our young guys.

Luke Walton, everybody.

The Kings played up to their potential, they just got beat at home by Portland.
That is not the coach's fault.
This is beyond fault. You saw what happened as soon as Walton tried to make a coaching point. His team said stick it up yer backside lame duck. This situation isn't workable and only going to vacillate between awkward, angry, with flashes of cordial and competitive depending on the temperature of the room or time of day.