[Grades] Kings vs. Suns, 12/26/20

Grade the win

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Let’s go Kangz!!!

So much for sucking! And now, grades!

Harrison Barnes (B)
Harrison came out of the gates playing like it was still overtime in Denver, providing a bulk of the good plays that led to our big lead to start the game. His production sort of tailed off after that although he kept crashing the boards hard and, more importantly, provided that switchability that is so vital to Rex's defensive schemes, sorta occupying the Paul George role from the Clippers defense last year. While he has still yet to hit an outside shot this season, this is the sort of game that justifies paying Barnes the contract that Vlade gave him.

Marvin Bagley (B-) -
Randomly stupid Kings fans-generated moping controversy aside, Marvin had another solid night. As he always had when healthy, Marvin hits the glass hard and his elite athleticism leads to him simply grabbing balls before other guys even react to them. Bagley's added bulk has also helped him on the defensive side of the ball, with him matching up physically with the bigger Ayton without an issue for most of the night (a lot of this also has to do with Ayton being softer than a baby's bum when not on the PEDs). On offense, Marvin has yet to hit an outside shot but shoots them with enough confidence that you assume he'll hit one sooner or later. Most of his baskets came off of assists but I'd honestly rather have him be a finisher than initiator when Fox or Haliburton are on the floor. Got benched for Holmes in crunch time but that was by no fault of his own.

Richaun Holmes (C+) -
This was the toughest guy to grade tonight. Pretty much any way you look at it, Holmes was our worst big for around 42 minutes of the game, turning the ball over, fouling anything that moved, struggling to stay with guys on defense, getting caught on switches pretty much anytime the Suns had the ball. This was headed towards failing grade territory. And then, despite the fact that the Bagley/Barnes/Haliburton/Buddy/Fox lineup was working well enough and featured the guys most of us actually want to see play basketball, Walton randomly decided to bench Bagley and get Holmes and CoJo back in, a decision that was immediately justified as Richaun had a stretch that roughly went defensive board, offensive board, two made free throws, incredible hustle play for an offensive board, more made free throws, great defense on a Booker PnR with Fox, rebound as Holmes almost singlehandedly put the Suns away for us. While the bad stretch of play is super concerning, you keep a high energy player like Holmes around for that last stretch. Him being able to hit his free throws while Bagley and Hassan spent most of the night shooting free throws like their hands had gone numb only helped matters.

Buddy Hield (C) -
Buddy absolutely didn't have his shot going tonight. In past seasons, this would have largely rendered him ineffective but in this season and new defensive system, shotless Buddy still had a relatively effective game. Though his remarks about not needed to be an all-NBA defender raised some eyebrows in the preseason, Buddy has started the season as a net positive player on that end. On offense, he still hustled off the ball and the mere threat of him as a shooter still gave Fox and friends space to work inside.

De'Aaron Fox (A)-
A simple star turn from the 23-year old Kentucky product. In a night featuring the best PG of the prior generation and Devin Booker, Jake from State Farm possessed by the ghost of Mamba, De'Aaron spent most of the game looking like the best player on the floor. On offense, his perimeter shot was falling early, opening up most of his other tools for the rest of the night. He had 5 turnovers on the night but I honestly don't remember more than one or two of them really being his fault and CoJo clanked two or three wide open threes which would have boosted De'Aaron's assist numbers past their customary 7. Defense was where Swipa really shined tonight, as in crunch time, the newly swole point guard bodied up Devin Booker better than almost anyone I can remember and generally disrupted the Suns offense seemingly every single time they had the ball. Max contract player moves.

Cory Joseph (D)

Tyrese Haliburton (B)

Nemanja Bjelica (B)

Hassan Whiteside (B-)

Glenn Robinson III (B-)

Last edited:
A+ For the Kings as a team. After watching the Suns in their 8 and 0 bubble run, then seeing them add CP3 I had marked this game as a L for the Kings.
Paul and Booker have always found a way to beat the Kings in recent years. Teamed up I had no hope.

But the Kings seem to have improved in all areas. The defense is certainly better. The starters got it done last night. The bench comes in and holds the score. Swipa is earning his new deal. Buddy made a great steal, The Kings out rebounded the Suns 56 to 40! You read that right, 56 to 40! Barnes and Bagley had double doubles, Bagley in 20 minutes! Everyone on the Kings contributed. 6 players in double figure scoring. Hali played great all around ball, passing looks great. Hassan is a huge boost off the bench blocking shoots and snaring rebounds.

Who can complain about winning the first two games of the season???

Last edited:
Some more notable grades from me:

Fox - A. Solid, solid game on both ends, and seemed to control the flow of the game very well. A few turnovers at bad times, but overall he came up big every time we needed him to. Shooting was night and day compared with preseason from both 3 and FT.

Buddy - Offense C- (bad shooting night and uncharacteristically missed 2 FTs in crunch time, but did have an important drive late in the game that while missed collapsed the defense and led to a Holmes putback), Defense A-. He has been doing a very good job when getting switched onto bigs, and Booker was largely kept under control when Buddy was his main defender (together with switching). Lots of Booker's scoring came against CoJo, who seemed to simply lack the size to challenge his shots. Came up with a big steal in crunch time. Overall: B-.

Bagley - B-. Gave us a few good baskets but I can't in good faith say that we were a better team with Bagley on the floor. While he's showing good touch around the rim, you can't help but feel that he continues to be a black hole on offense, and pretty soon teams are going to start looking to draw charges when he's dribbling the ball down the court. The lack of outside shooting continues as well as FT struggles. He needs to either become a better passer or a better outside shooter in order to fit better within the offense.

Haliburton - B+ (rookie scale). Basically turned in a solid 7/8 man veteran performance, which for a rookie in his second game is very impressive. Can't wait for that outside shot to become more consistent.

His game is something else. Can’t believe he’s only played what... 5 professional games? And with no true training camp? Kid’s a stud and we lucked out for once.
Everything I'm seeing from Haliburton is off the charts competent for a rookie... let alone a PG rookie. Kid must have done his homework during the lockdowns or something because I just can't explain how a rookie PG can be so smooth, confident, and make every single correct decision. One turnover in 26 minutes. ONE.

I actually attended both of the games from the Kings last 2-0 start. LeBrons first game and then Philadelphia. I remember these two Cleveland fans behind me being obnoxiously loud even though the Kings had the Cavs well under control from pretty much the beginning..but LeBron and Ricky Davis mounted a mini-comeback in the 3rd that briefly cut the lead to 9 or something and they thought that was their cue to gloat. The Cavs did have some fun moments in that game with LeBron, Davis, and Miles. Philly game was forgettable but I was there.

Anyway, all wins this early get A’s

Bogdan Bogdanovic (for Atlanta) (F)

Bogi's second game for Atlanta sure was an exercise in frustration. And now that he's gone it's become apparent how much of a drag he was...

If they rattle off nine games or so, or make a modicum of progress this year, I'm attributing it to the lack of Bogdanovic presence. I've already made up my mind.

Bogdan Bogdanovic (for Atlanta) (F)

Bogi's second game for Atlanta sure was an exercise in frustration. And now that he's gone it's become apparent how much of a drag he was...

If they rattle off nine games or so, or make a modicum of progress this year, I'm attributing it to the lack of Bogdanovic presence. I've already made up my mind.
I did not watch the Atlanta game, so I went to the game thread to read how fans that watched the game rated his contribution. It seems they were quite pleased, despite the terrible shooting. IMO, Holmes is missing badly alley-up passes Bogi regularly provided to him. Hopefully, Hali will do the same, when he learns to play with Mr. Holmes.

Only qualm is with the Holmes grade, I give him a C. His play for the majority of the game was bad. Was trending towards an F until those final few minutes.

Buddy had a steal and score from that steal. Plus he bodied Ayton some on defense, so the C is deserved. I consider it progress that he's showing some contribution on the defensive end.

Bags inefficiency is really messing with his real life and fantasy value--make those damn free throws and hit 30% from three!

I hate Walton's decision to play Joseph and Holmes. But I think I'm starting to understand why he plays them. He likes making the game ugly. Both make the game ugly. They're kinda like himself. Grinders, who somehow built a ten year career. That's fine for now. The sooner the Kings trade them, the better.

Fox earned his salary tonight against the Suns. This is the kind of performance the fans and organization expects. Kings actually won the game in the 1st quarter...it was the Suns nipping at their heals most of the game. 2nd game where the Kings solidly outrebounded and went to the line more than their opponent. Those stat areas make up for poor shooting. All 5 starters in double figures....Hield with a late steal that helped maintain the small lead. FTs and turnovers were borderline poor and could've been the loss. Whiteside and Bejlica with good games off the bench. Halliburton with a couple pretty assists.

Everything I'm seeing from Haliburton is off the charts competent for a rookie... let alone a PG rookie. Kid must have done his homework during the lockdowns or something because I just can't explain how a rookie PG can be so smooth, confident, and make every single correct decision. One turnover in 26 minutes. ONE.
Actually 1 turnover (and 9 assists) in 56 minutes.

Gentry and Kalamian have added something special to the coaching staff. The magic they have added has really opened up Barnes game. I am really enjoying the way the defensive coverage is always changing. It has kept the other team off balance in these first two games.

The Kings bench has really played well. The +/- from last night favors the Kings bench for what it is worth:) GO BENCH MOB!

The new announcers are improving, getting past the first game jitters. Good job Mark, Doug, Kyle and of course Katie:)

I did not hear "butter" once last night, thank you:)

Last edited:
Haliburton and his jump passes are amazing. He seems to understand that to get the ball where he wants it to be he must rise 3 feet and the exact angle he moves to and fire a pin point pass!!! Don,t try this at home sports fans:) Heck most players should never try it, But let them fly Hali!!!:)

This young mans demeanor is so uplifting to watch. I can only imagine what a positive spirit he must be to be around. Thank heaven the Kings were able to draft him.

Gave them a "B" - 69% on FTs and 22% on 3s can't merit an "A".
I have a feeling the poor free throw shooting is something we're going to have to get used to this season. Whiteside isn't going to change but Bags really needs to start hitting those if he doesn't want to be sitting on the bench at the end of games.

Haliburton and his jump passes are amazing. He seems to understand that to get the ball where he wants it to be he must rise 3 feet and the exact angle he moves to and fire a pin point pass!!! Don,t try this at home sports fans:) Heck most players should never try it, But let them fly Hali!!!:)

This young mans demeanor is so uplifting to watch. I can only imagine what a positive spirit he must be to be around. Thank heaven the Kings were able to draft him.
I commented in the game thread, but the play where he jumped out of bounds to pass the ball to Bjelica standing under the basket was a thing of beauty.

I have a feeling the poor free throw shooting is something we're going to have to get used to this season. Whiteside isn't going to change but Bags really needs to start hitting those if he doesn't want to be sitting on the bench at the end of games.

It something we've been used to for most seasons. Whiteside was a coup- a starter-level player for minimum. The organization must've treated him well earlier.

Interesting that the only Fox graded A but the Kings got the win.
The Kings outrebounded the Suns by 15 last night. More chances.
Holding the Suns to 103 points is actually a great accomplishment and won them the game.

Its nice for the organization and sheer luck that Halliburton fell in their laps. I did not follow prospects this year at all. Was pleased when board members were ecstatic. His stat lines look good, finding ways to contribute without scoring. If he can break into the steals leader as a rookie, I would be very pleased.