Kyle Draper named Pre/Postgame Host/2nd Play-by-Play guy

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No more Koz? I'm cool with the Jones pickup but there will be a distinctive lack of personality going on with the new crew although they are certainly talented. The team better be good because there won't be much pressure release of fan angst going on with the new cast of announcers.

No more Koz? I'm cool with the Jones pickup but there will be a distinctive lack of personality going on with the new crew although they are certainly talented. The team better be good because there won't be much pressure release of fan angst going on with the new cast of announcers.
Yeah, color me puzzled. Nothing against Kyle Draper — who I know nothing about beyond what I just read in the press release — but it’s just not going to feel the same without all the names and faces that have been through all the ups and downs the past few decades.

We all know why Peaches was replaced — right or wrong — and that Jerry has retired. But what’s the deal with Koz?

That’s 3 longtime personalities gone in one off season. I don’t like that.

But who knows. Maybe it’ll build into something cool over time. Especially if this team starts winning consistently.

I didn't think about the Koz aspect, I loved him and Jerry on the pre-post game shows. I am assuming Koz would still be host when Draper is announcing and Draper would be host when Jones is announcing. Since we have two play by plays, we can have two pre-post game show hosts.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, color me puzzled. Nothing against Kyle Draper — who I know nothing about beyond what I just read in the press release — but it’s just not going to feel the same without all the names and faces that have been through all the ups and downs the past few decades.

We all know why Peaches was replaced — right or wrong — and that Jerry has retired. But what’s the deal with Koz?

That’s 3 longtime personalities gone in one off season. I don’t like that.

But who knows. Maybe it’ll build into something cool over time. Especially if this team starts winning consistently.
To be fair, there was like a 15 year gap between Koz's pre-/postgame hosting gigs so it's not like he was a constant presence.

To be fair, there was like a 15 year gap between Koz's pre-/postgame hosting gigs so it's not like he was a constant presence.
True, but I’m also thinking about his stretch on KHTK too. He’s been with the org before they got good and again after they became bad again.

Circling back to the 15-year gap thing, he was let go in 2009 and been back for a few years now. So not quite that long. More like half that time.

If Koz is gone, I’m gonna miss him. I always liked the guy when he had his radio show and on the kings pre and post game shows. Didn’t really see the need to replace him.
Me neither. Unless he didn’t want to be back for some reason, he should have been brought back. He’s been part of this franchise and the city of SAC for a long time. He’s one of us! Same goes for Kayte.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
From the sound of it, Kyle’s coming out here because he’s getting the chance to do more play by play than in Boston (though I honestly thought he and Scalabrine were going to be their TV crew of the future after Tommy Heinsohn passed).

With Mark Jones still being ESPN’s #2 announcer for NBA games and one of their top college announcers, we might be seeing a 2-1 split between play-by-play guys with Doug

Maybe the organization is doing a reset in general. Reynolds had already left the color analyst job and with Grant being dismissed, it was probably a chance to start over with a new vibe.

This organization doesn't feel like loveable losers anymore. Grant, Jerry and even Koz kinda played into that shtick.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Maybe the organization is doing a reset in general. Reynolds had already left the color analyst job and with Grant being dismissed, it was probably a chance to start over with a new vibe.

This organization doesn't feel like loveable losers anymore. Grant, Jerry and even Koz kinda played into that shtick.
Honestly the thought has crossed my mind. Changing the culture of the organization doesn’t just end with the b-ball operations side. Plus the old heads still get G-Man the GOAT and Jason Ross on the radio side while people can watch TV broadcasts without ever hearing about how Klay once dropped 37 points in a quarter on us every time a guy scores three baskets in a row.

This... I'm sure it will take some time to get used to things, but I don't personally have a problem starting fresh. Getting new perspectives. The old "loveable losers" atmosphere is spot on.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He’s generally well liked, funny and I assume got along with kayte and Doug. Is there an actual case in releasing him other than, “we want a change?”
HIs replacement might be better? And cheaper? Kozimor is aiight, but he's nobody's kind of irreplaceable; I feel like you could pick any G-League team out of a hat, and find somebody as good, or better, for less money.

Cheaper I could understand. Replacing with someone that might be better when you’re doing a good job is odd to me. I’m not saying he’s irreplaceable, just odd replacing someone when they aren’t doing a bad job or with someone u know is superior.

When’s the last time Koz has done NBA play by play? The hybrid role they hired Draper for is different than the pure host role Koz has filled the past few years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cheaper I could understand. Replacing with someone that might be better when you’re doing a good job is odd to me. I’m not saying he’s irreplaceable, just odd replacing someone when they aren’t doing a bad job or with someone u know is superior.
I guess. Team fans get super weird about when and with whom they want to show loyalty, in my opinion, but your mileage obviously varies.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
HIs replacement might be better? And cheaper? Kozimor is aiight, but he's nobody's kind of irreplaceable; I feel like you could pick any G-League team out of a hat, and find somebody as good, or better, for less money.
I disagree, Koz is an extremely talented on air personality. And I'm sure he has shots at other gigs as well. When he left Sac before he upgraded to the Warriors and was even doing some national broadcasting commentary on various events.