New offense?

The Kings Herald posted an interview of Kings GM Monte McNair today. There is lots of info in this piece. One of the more exciting is a hint of a new Kings offensive plan. Here is the bit about Buddy:

"Buddy is such an incredible talent, especially his shooting at an elite level is something that we saw this offseason was at a premium. So I think we're really excited to see him in this system and obviously with coach Walton, as well as Alvin [Gentry], and Rex [Kalamian] and the system they are going to implement, I think Buddy is going to look really good in it,” McNair said. “I think we're really excited to see Buddy kind of let free in this system. I think he's going to be fantastic."

Here is the aricle link: https://kingsherald.com/articles/mo...keep-flexibility-to-capitalize-down-the-road/

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not exactly a surprise. Last year's Igor/Luke offense wasn't impressing anybody and you don't bring in an offensively minded Alvin Gentry without assuming he'll bring in at least some of his offensive system.

If he uses some of his system from his Phoenix days, Fox could have a huge season.

Whoa. Wait a minute! What’s all this nonsensical talk about running a system that fits the strengths of the best player’s on the team? Who ever thought of doing that?! Blasphemy!

This on top of drafting BPA and never leaving talent on the table. We KINGS fans can’t identify with a FO that thinks and behaves in that manner. Not in 15 years anyway.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Monte is making me excited to watch the team. Hopes are up that we are on the right path.

Then I have a bad feeling Walton is going to pee all over said hopes by playing Cojo 30 minutes and mismanaging the heck out of the lineups.
I have the feeling that if Walton does that this year, Monte will have no qualms canning him and moving on with Alvin Gentry as interim coach.

My guess is, we transition into a more run n gun offense and if we end up being good enough, we are going to try to land D’Antoni next year. He would make Fox a stud and has ties with McNair. We might be able to finally say the P word without going *cringe* if that happens IMO.

Last edited:
We can talk about offense all we want, but is the defense that has to improve to the get to the Sacred Land of the Playoffs.
The Kings had some long streaks of pushing the ball last night.
Sometimes it worked and sometimes it was just a lot of hurry up and force shots.
It takes some discipline to play fast
"Be quick, but don't hurry." John Wooden. It is a thin line to walk (run).

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
They were definitely making a concerted effort to push the pace in the first quarter. Things devolved from there, but that probably has lot to do with conditioning and the short training camp. Unfortunately for us, Portland was able to match our pace in that first quarter and put up just as many points as we did. We also have guys on our bench who aren't really built for uptempo basketball. Bjelica wasn't contributing much but guys have bad games so that's nothing to overreact about. It will be interesting to see how the chemistry changes once Bagley is out there. Fox in particular would have really benefited from having an extra over the top threat to throw the ball to.

We can talk about offense all we want, but is the defense that has to improve to the get to the Sacred Land of the Playoffs.
Sometimes it worked and sometimes it was just a lot of hurry up and force shots.
The defense can improve almost immediately. The problem is Luke Walton is in charge of it and he still either doesn't realize or doesn't care that playing small the right way is the answer. Last night the dude played his typical big unit (which might work against the non-legit teams but that's it) or played with 3 F's in the front court. The one time he went with Holmes at C with the smalls all of a sudden the defense picked up. Didn't see it all of last year, doubt he'll see it now. What a joke. Eventually this is your problem one way or the other Monte.

The defense can improve almost immediately. The problem is Luke Walton is in charge of it and he still either doesn't realize or doesn't care that playing small the right way is the answer. Last night the dude played his typical big unit (which might work against the non-legit teams but that's it) or played with 3 F's in the front court. The one time he went with Holmes at C with the smalls all of a sudden the defense picked up. Didn't see it all of last year, doubt he'll see it now. What a joke. Eventually this is your problem one way or the other Monte.
We'll see on that. I find it interesting that he cleared out just about everyone else in the org except the head coach who's only on his 2nd year of his big contract from the previous regime. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was told he'd have to float Walton for the year.

We'll see on that. I find it interesting that he cleared out just about everyone else in the org except the head coach who's only on his 2nd year of his big contract from the previous regime. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was told he'd have to float Walton for the year.
Or simply prove the point that it wasn't all Vlade. I could see Walton blaming Vlade, deserved or not. Was upstairs calling for more half court sets rather than running? Not a clue. If they give him the numbers showing what is effective and what is not, and he refuses to adjust ...... ?

That would be stupid if so and I think the fact that we've heard so much about Gentry and Rex the writing is on the wall. Lukes been down this path before, he knows whats up. Theres a chance the first preseason game wasn't a sign of things to come, but it was basically just a repeat of last year mostly and Walton has used up all his good faith passess at this point.

Or simply prove the point that it wasn't all Vlade. I could see Walton blaming Vlade, deserved or not. Was upstairs calling for more half court sets rather than running? Not a clue. If they give him the numbers showing what is effective and what is not, and he refuses to adjust ...... ?
Well, the rotations are certainly Waltons. I mean, he's just one step out of sync every time. He plays big while they go down double digits then goes too small when he does with either two PG's or all SF's on the front line. I think Parker has an interesting skillset as a small C but my goodness, just play standard small ball dude. His GM has given him tools to do it!

dude12

Hall of Famer
For a team that wants to run or push the pace, it will be difficult as long as Barnes is the SF and Bjelica is the PF. They are both slow for their positions. Fine players that don’t fit. Now Barnes as a PF is more acceptable. And it’s doubly tough when Bjelica has to guard a player like small ball PF’s like Melo. He’s not geared for that.

Monte has to move a few guys to force Walton to go the small ball route.

I agree that Bjelica can look really slow footed against a team like Portland. He practically disappeared. I like his game, but to get to the next level, we need a quicker PF especially if the Kings are going to push the ball.
Barnes has good size and length for a SF. People forget that he plays defense. He is not a great rebounder and plays a little soft. Putting him at the PF makes those limitations even more apparent.
The Kings now have two "battleships" as Frank McGuire used to call them. With two large centers, we can go smaller. Holmes can probably get up and down better than either one of them.

I highly doubt that the FO is calling for half court sets after the Kings had their best year in over a decade by pushing the pace. Vivek has always wanted to be the Warriors and that would be very anti Warriors.

I can't really explain it other than Walton just isn't as good a coach as Joerger was. Joerger did the half court set thing during Fox's rookie year so they could learn and then let them get on the gas for the second year and everyone flourished. Then Walton came along and was like hey lets go back to that thing that didn't work and here we are in purgatory again with almost no way out.

For a team that wants to run or push the pace, it will be difficult as long as Barnes is the SF and Bjelica is the PF. They are both slow for their positions. Fine players that don’t fit. Now Barnes as a PF is more acceptable. And it’s doubly tough when Bjelica has to guard a player like small ball PF’s like Melo. He’s not geared for that.

Even though it's obviously better for the team, I don't think that Barnes/Holmes will ever be an 8th seed contending duo. Not nearly enough rebounding there. Now Barnes/Whitside is a different story. Whiteside gets you 6-7 more rebounds per36 than Holmes does, which more than makes up for the lack of rebounding from Barnes at that position.

It's just to me, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Barnes/Holmes probably lands you in late lottery purgatory. Barnes/Whiteside gives you a better shot at the playoffs but it still probably lands you in even later lottery purgatory. I'm not quite sure if there is any way to contention with this roster and the improvement from other west teams.

John Wooden knew a thing or two about basketball. A great mind and an exemplary person.

Yes yes yes!

I highly doubt that the FO is calling for half court sets after the Kings had their best year in over a decade by pushing the pace. Vivek has always wanted to be the Warriors and that would be very anti Warriors.

I can't really explain it other than Walton just isn't as good a coach as Joerger was. Joerger did the half court set thing during Fox's rookie year so they could learn and then let them get on the gas for the second year and everyone flourished. Then Walton came along and was like hey lets go back to that thing that didn't work and here we are in purgatory again with almost no way out.
This is my take also. There have been some who thought perhaps Vlade was dictating the play style. I could see Walton using Vlade as an excuse. I don’t know the man but I am getting the feeling of slick willie or a snake charmer. But again, I don't know the man.

If the GM was told Walton came with the job, I could see him letting Walton hang himself by going against the analytics without getting the results. I probably wasn't clear.

Even though it's obviously better for the team, I don't think that Barnes/Holmes will ever be an 8th seed contending duo. Not nearly enough rebounding there. Now Barnes/Whitside is a different story. Whiteside gets you 6-7 more rebounds per36 than Holmes does, which more than makes up for the lack of rebounding from Barnes at that position.

It's just to me, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Barnes/Holmes probably lands you in late lottery purgatory. Barnes/Whiteside gives you a better shot at the playoffs but it still probably lands you in even later lottery purgatory. I'm not quite sure if there is any way to contention with this roster and the improvement from other west teams.
Unfortunate but true. Would need to hit like a 5-6 outcome parlay.

Fox is an All-star
Bagley is a MIP candidate and plays 85% of games
Haliburton is a ROY candidate
Holmes wasn't a flash in the pan last season
Buddy returns to 18-19 form as the running mate next to Fox .
The new bench additions make a similar impact that Baze/Len did at the end of last year.

Even if all this happened, I still think you're topping out at like a 6 or 7 seed. Team just doesn't have the ceiling needed in the West.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Unfortunate but true. Would need to hit like a 5-6 outcome parlay.

Fox is an All-star
Bagley is a MIP candidate and plays 85% of games
Haliburton is a ROY candidate
Holmes wasn't a flash in the pan last season
Buddy returns to 18-19 form as the running mate next to Fox .
The new bench additions make a similar impact that Baze/Len did at the end of last year.

Even if all this happened, I still think you're topping out at like a 6 or 7 seed. Team just doesn't have the ceiling needed in the West.
Clearly Bagley is a key. Halliburton is already a better defender than Bogi so we’ve improved that area. The only other improvement will be when Bjelica is out and we play smaller continually. Ramsey and Woodard play above their draft pick status. Whiteside will be an improvement. The other big improvement is going to come when we draft a dude next year.

And the biggest improvement is when Walton is replaced. He’s just not good.

If this team wins 30 games AND it’s done with all 3 rookies and Bagley playing key roles, then that is a success.
If this team wins 35 games with the vets playing key roles, then it’s a disaster.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Clearly Bagley is a key. Halliburton is already a better defender than Bogi so we’ve improved that area. The only other improvement will be when Bjelica is out and we play smaller continually. Ramsey and Woodard play above their draft pick status. Whiteside will be an improvement. The other big improvement is going to come when we draft a dude next year.

And the biggest improvement is when Walton is replaced. He’s just not good.

If this team wins 30 games AND it’s done with all 3 rookies and Bagley playing key roles, then that is a success.
If this team wins 35 games with the vets playing key roles, then it’s a disaster.
I agree with most of this. I don't think your second scenario is a disaster though. The difference between 35 wins and 30 wins with the new lottery rules may not be that significant. Either way luck is the biggest factor there. Most of those veterans will be gone at the end of the year simply because their contracts run out and that will open up spots in the rotation for the rookies even if they don't get as much play as we'd like to see in year one. And I fully agree that replacing Walton is the priority and needs to happen after/during this season no matter what.

Mostly, as far as the players are concerned, I just want to see everyone stay healthy and a general progression toward a style of basketball that makes sense for 2020.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the win total is less relevant than the need for our rookies and Bagley and Fox to steer this ship to whatever they do and the vets providing calming guidance and keeping them honest and earning their minutes. But I want them getting meaningful time and not being pulled to preserve a lead in the final two minutes.