Woj: Kings let Bogi go

Entity

Hall of Famer
He’s literally the all-time leader in threes made for the first X years of his career. Buddy doesn’t do a lot of things well, but let’s not pretend he isn’t an elite level 3-point shooter.
there have been a handful of times when he has locked in on defense and did a superb job. just wish it was every game.

I can see how this works out for Bogdan - he got paid, the Hawks are now a team that could possibly reach 8th seed in the East, he'll probably be a starting SG or SF.
I don't see how this works for us as a team. We thought we have the best team in years last season and that wasn't good enough to reach the playoffs. The current team is about 30% weaker than the one from the last season. Let's hope Monte knows what he's doing.

It seems like the recipe for success in the NBA is to acquire a couple of superstars and then add a bunch of veteran role players and young talents with growing potential. We keep overpaying guys who are not superstars and we keep drafting players who can't reach that level. And even then, we let some of them walk out for free. If this sounds like I'm frustrated, that's because I am :) The last time I watched Kings in the playoffs was when I started attending high school. Now I'm 30+ years old...
You are right, that was the best Kings team in years and that team, going into this season would've been thoroughly outclassed by about 10 teams in the West. If we would've made the playoffs it would've been because multiple teams suffered injuries. That would've been a cycle that would've repeated for about 4 years. Why waste those years knowing exactly what this teams potential is? Bogdan was not moving the needle for us. Neither was Bazemore or any of these other guys. Why commit to these guys who don't get us where we want to be when we can draft one that can? I know the Kings record isn't great on drafting, but it's the only real hope we have of becoming a great team. It's the sad reality of the Sacramento Kings.

I see ONE NBA accomplishment (as a rookie).
I honestly thought Bogi would be a better player (myself) having seen him play internationally and for the Olympics, but he cannot get where he wants on the floor with the ball. This is why other posts elluded to pounding the rock and then forcing up shots.

Maybe he will "fit" in better with other teams, but since his rookie season he as been inconsistent at best. The excuses for his inconsistent play are he's tired, he played too much international ball, he's injured, etc.

I am not saying Bogi isn't a good player, but I would prefer a player with the following:
  1. Speed
  2. Athleticism
  3. Ability to get where he wants on the floor
  4. Defense
  5. Passing
  6. Shooting
These are ranked in order of need IF we are building around Fox, and I can see Tyrese having an advantage in many of the these top needs.
Someone wrote earlier in this thread and I agree... the thought of what Bogi should be is much better than has actually played out in the NBA. Still a very good nba player, but seems like he is a solid role player/glue guy. That is very valuable, but to this team I don’t think worth breaking the bank over.

Whelp. Just got done listening to James Ham tell McNair, Cantenella and Wilcox how they should have done their job.

PDA and Vlade managed the team exactly how fans would manage them. We know this because we watched their crowd sourcing in real time. You can see where that got us. Bring in some experienced FO people and fans and certain media think the new FO can't possibly know how it all works.

I'll take a small break now and let the Kings world deal with their feelings, because wow.

Last edited:
Whelp. Just got down listening to James Ham tell McNair, Cantenella and Wilcox how they should have done their job.

PDA and Vlade managed the team exactly how fans would manage them. We know this because we watched their crowd sourcing in real time. You can see where that got us. Bring in some experienced FO people and fans and certain media think the new FO can't possibly know how it all works.

I'll take a small break now and let the Kings world deal with their feelings, because wow.
Was this from last night's article or did he release a new podcast?

I have a hunch that all the local media members were right at home with Vlade the GM...

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Wow, so Giannis wanted Bogdan, the Bucks made a trade happen, somebody in the Bucks organization got a little too excited about it and blabbed, other GMs (read: Atlanta) got pissed and went to the league office, the league office threatened to veto the trade, Bogdan signed with Atlanta. This is totally insane that the NBA's own policy basically helped Atlanta blow up a fair deal that the player and both teams already agreed to. I would say that Milwaukee should sue the NBA for millions in lost revenue if Giannis leaves but obviously they can't do that so we just pretend none of this ever happened I guess.

Wow, so Giannis wanted Bogdan, the Bucks made a trade happen, somebody in the Bucks organization got a little too excited about it and blabbed, other GMs (read: Atlanta) got pissed and went to the league office, the league office threatened to veto the trade, Bogdan signed with Atlanta. This is totally insane that the NBA's own policy basically helped Atlanta blow up a fair deal that the player and both teams already agreed to. I would say that Milwaukee should sue the NBA for millions in lost revenue if Giannis leaves but obviously they can't do that so we just pretend none of this ever happened I guess.
If this is all true, how sad for everyone aside from Atlanta. Bogi in Milwaukee would have awesome. If Giannis signed the extension Bogi would be spending his prime competing for championships.

I honestly think we have a huge grievance here, basically MIL talked a guy who seemed to like Sac out of staying and when it blew up ATL swooped in. The fact that ATL was the only team that could offer him that deal, and they wasted no time pushing him to sign the offer sheet instead of working out a trade deal (Boston/Charlotte, for the record... I still am on record as saying TPEs are entirely worthless but I guess they would make one poster here feel better), also means that they were the likely culprit, they may have tampered as well, and they got our player for nothing in return.

Honestly if the league is investigating and either or both of those can be proven, the recompense here is to give us something from both teams. Yeah, they'll probably just get fined, but it actually cost us "something" (what, I am absolutely unsure, but hey...)

Whelp. Just got done listening to James Ham tell McNair, Cantenella and Wilcox how they should have done their job.

Vlades roster assembling while too focused on the paper battle weren't the problem. Maybe he should have crowd sources his coaching picks.

Vlades roster assembling while too focused on the paper battle weren't the problem. Maybe he should have crowd sources his coaching picks.
Vlade assembled veteran role players around talented rookies and young players. The goal being to make the playoffs. Except the most talented players on the team had no experience and couldn't lead the playoff push. I would argue that Vlade's apparent goal of getting the 8th seed could have been accomplished by either trading Fox, or the 1st round draft picks after Fox to get higher quality veterans. That would have secured an 8th seed. Vlade was in-between a rebuild and a playoff push with his roster.

Better yet, Vlade should have traded Cousins when Karl told him to.

Vlade assembled veteran role players around talented rookies and young players. The goal being to make the playoffs. Except the most talented players on the team had no experience and couldn't lead the playoff push. I would argue that Vlade's apparent goal of getting the 8th seed could have been accomplished by either trading Fox, or the 1st round draft picks after Fox to get higher quality veterans. That would have secured an 8th seed. Vlade was in-between a rebuild and a playoff push with his roster.

Better yet, Vlade should have traded Cousins when Karl told him to.
Vlade's return on the picks after Fox was less than stellar, though I guess it did aid in acquiring Barnes.

Had whatever little tiff not flared up between Joerger, Vlade, and Williams - and I honestly DON'T understand who is responsible for what, other than Joerger like all of us wanted Doncic and Vlade ultimately fell on the sword for it, so we assume Williams was the one who really pushed hard for Bagley and then fumed when Bagley didn't get 30+ mpg. But that is what truly sank us. Vlade was too inexperienced to soothe that and it lead to everything blowing up.

He also sucked at drafting, like so hard, that even if he somehow righted that ship, we're now a million times better off.

How James Ham got to the position he is in is such a complete mystery to me. His basketball takes are so incredibly rudimentary, and he seems to live off of his ability to rub elbows with Jerry Reynolds and Doug Christie. I tried listening to his podcast for a few weeks when it first came out and was just a huge dud to me.

How James Ham got to the position he is in is such a complete mystery to me. His basketball takes are so incredibly rudimentary, and he seems to live off of his ability to rub elbows with Jerry Reynolds and Doug Christie. I tried listening to his podcast for a few weeks when it first came out and was just a huge dud to me.
He founded STR right?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s not my story to tell but boy is there a story.

there have been a handful of times when he has locked in on defense and did a superb job. just wish it was every game.
For what it's worth, Doug Christie said on KHTK that he thinks Buddy does work hard/try hard on the defensive end - the problem is that he doesn't have good technique/fundamentals so all the effort in the world is only going to get him so far.

For what it's worth, Doug Christie said on KHTK that he thinks Buddy does work hard/try hard on the defensive end - the problem is that he doesn't have good technique/fundamentals so all the effort in the world is only going to get him so far.
So he needs good coaching

I hear we have a color commentator hanging around who used to play some pretty good defense. Wonder if he'd like to help out there.
I have a feeling he's offered up his services to numerous players but I doubt the coaching staff would allow the color commentator to come in and start coaching their players on the regular.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have a feeling he's offered up his services to numerous players but I doubt the coaching staff would allow the color commentator to come in and start coaching their players on the regular.
I just figure that he's in the organization, and he may be more valuable to the team with a different job title and responsibilities. But hey, maybe that's just me, and maybe he'd prefer doing color.

This is an interesting take. Learning fundamentals at 28 yo it's a bit late, isn't it?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This is the crux of the Buddy Hield paradox... his three-point shooting is at such an elite level that he's going to be worthy of playing significant minutes for quite awhile. If he remains a liability on defense though, you can only afford to start him and play him big minutes if you have enough plus defenders to compensate or you run a scheme where you have such an advantage on offense that his poor defense doesn't matter. These are the moving targets we're aiming for as we continue to build the roster. Either we run/shoot everyone else out of the gym in which case Buddy is a focal point of the team or we fill our lineup with good to great defenders and limit his level of responsibility on that end.

Ultimately that's why I think his best role is probably going to be as a 20ppg sixth-man scoring weapon behind a more well-rounded guard. That's already who he is right now. There is a less likely alternative scenario here where Buddy improves enough on defense to warrant keepng him in the starting lineup. A motivated Buddy Hield backed up by a defensive guru on the sideline could improve enough to become a solid starter on a good team if he commits a high level of effort and focus into his defense every game. Otherwise, the hope would be that Tyrese Haliburton shows enough shooting touch (40%+ from three like he shot in college) to take over that starting spot and push Buddy into the role he's best suited for.