Woj: Kings let Bogi go

I'm also ready to move on from both. The question is, what's the best way to do that for the Kings? Both of them should be real assets for us right now. But somehow we've gotten ourselves screwed since neither one is (an asset for us)! Or maybe Buddy will be an asset again some day - if we keep him for a while longer. But what makes anyone think that Buddy will stop airing his dirty laundry in public. He is who he is. He de-values himself.
If we match the offer for Bogi, we can't trade him (this year) and so we're either back to square one with both of them, or we trade Buddy for a bag of chips. I want someone's head to roll for this; I'm just not sure who's head.
Also, while I think the many Kingsfans who have turned on Bogi and re-written his narrative are nuts, I'm also going to be majorly annoyed with him if he goes to the Hawks without the Kings getting any compensation. It's not supposed to be that way for RESTRICTED free agents. Trade kickers should not be allowed in contracts for RFAs.
One other thing: maybe the NBA's investigation into the sign & trade with the Bucks will tell us who screwed us (if we didn't screw ourselves), but I would suggest there are plenty of suspects if you consider all the teams that are having wet dreams about signing the Greek Freak. Making the Bucks look bad increases the possibility of him signing with someone else. That's motive.
I’m not that to worried about the trade kicker. Going to a playoff caliber major market is worth way more in endorsements than the measly trade kicker. Hell the players play-off share alone covers half of it.

The Kings just need to be patient and wait a couple months to when we approach the trade deadline. A team like the Clippers will more then likely send us Zubac with two expirings to get Bogi for their playoff run.

You can destroy a kids confidence throwing him to the wolves. In the NBA that is an important factor
A fair amount of this comes from getting booed out of the arena, getting trashed on talk radio and being scape goated for the team losing. With limited fan engagement this year some of that could be far less of a problem. He's still going to come off the bench and have to earn his role though.

You hear the same argument in reverse with Buddy and Bogi that the threat of messing up and losing PT is harming their game. Sometimes I think this is overblown. Was Kobe's confidence shot his first 3 seasons when he was making boneheaded play after boneheaded play and jacking up shots he should never have taken? By the time we were playing them for all the marbles, sadly he was making them.

No there is not.

You can destroy a kids confidence throwing him to the wolves. In the NBA that is an important factor
We still have Buddy, Fox, Cojo, Justin James and Ramsey on our roster. He won't be thrown to the wolves. For Bogi? Yes there is.
"According to Stein, the offer sheet that Bogdanovic signed with the Kings includes a 15% trade kicker, meaning that if the Kings decided to match the Hawks’ offer sheet, they’d have to pay Bogdanovic that bonus in order to trade him somewhere else down the line. Additionally, if the Kings wanted to trade Bogdanovic this season, they’d have to do it with his consent because matching an offer sheet for a restricted free agent triggers a one-year no-trade clause for the player."

We still have Buddy, Fox, Cojo, Justin James and Ramsey on our roster. He won't be thrown to the wolves. For Bogi? Yes there is.
"According to Stein, the offer sheet that Bogdanovic signed with the Kings includes a 15% trade kicker, meaning that if the Kings decided to match the Hawks’ offer sheet, they’d have to pay Bogdanovic that bonus in order to trade him somewhere else down the line. Additionally, if the Kings wanted to trade Bogdanovic this season, they’d have to do it with his consent because matching an offer sheet for a restricted free agent triggers a one-year no-trade clause for the player."
right but Bogi can waive it if the Kings match. If Bogi has the chance to go to Milwaukee or the Clips do you really think he doesn’t approve the deal and waive the trade kicker?

from all we know about Bogi it seems unlikely.

right but Bogi can waive it if the Kings match. If Bogi has the chance to go to Milwaukee or the Clips do you really think he doesn’t approve the deal and waive the trade kicker?

from all we know about Bogi it seems unlikely.
He did have a chance to go to Milwaukee and he apparently balked....

At this point, I’m pretty sure we’re letting Bogi walk. Kangz move in my opinion, but time will tell.

Also, to me it’s ridicilous how guys like Amick claim “he doesn’t want to stay in Sacramento”. How does he know that? He talks to Bogi frequently? I trust Bogdan and his statements more and he said more than once that he doesn’t want to leave.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I remember the Warriors one, can't recall the others. Fair enough and thanks for the reminders - but I don't think anyone can say Bogi is clutch and Buddy isn't. Here are some examples:..

Honestly, I frikin hate Walton for this, because Bogi and Buddy in my mind are two excellent players that should be able to co-exist. We are in this situation thanks in no small part to Walton's pathetic coaching.

I was commenting only on the comment that you don't remember Bogdan being clutch in situations other than the Lakers winner. I agree about Buddy. In fact we had a pretty clutch team in general. But here are the other 2 I mentioned. One of them has some good dribbling by a double teamed Buddy for whom the play was originally called :) :

Also, to me it’s ridicilous how guys like Amick claim “he doesn’t want to stay in Sacramento”. How does he know that? He talks to Bogi frequently? I trust Bogdan and his statements more and he said more than once that he doesn’t want to leave.
Well, I find it pretty freaking likely that he'd rather not be here (or at least that he would say to others that he'd rather not be here), since he just signed an offer sheet with the Hawks. Yes, restricted free agency can be about getting an inflated offer sheet from another team with the hopes that your existing team will match, but I would wager at this point he's hoping the Kings decline.

I remember when we signed LaVine and the Bulls matched and he said "that was my hope all along". Honestly I imagine Bogi is fine if we match IF we move Buddy. We can't have both here committed long term with no out.

If we have to let Bogi walk and sign 1 year minimum type deals to fill the roster, we'll have a lot of flexibility next year when the FA class is supposed to be better and a lot of teams are regretting their pricey signings this year. We will also have the ability to send expirings to a team looking to clear room for picks and a medium tier player on a bad deal, if we want to go that route. I somehow trust Monte to be more active than Vlade on this front, and I also think he will draft better than Vlade if the second round picks this year are an indication.

We should allow him to build his team (and hopefully pick his coach after this season too).

I think if fans were allowed the Kings REAL sixth man would rain BOOO's on Buddy opening night and rightfully so. I agree Amick is likely getting his info from another owner it just reads that way to me. I dont think Vlade passed on Luka I think it Vivek or his boy but what's done is done. Still I would have traded Bogi the moment he didn't sign that extension and hes likely gone for nothing now. McNair is in a tough spot but I think hes up to the task but the heavy lifting has to be done in the draft.
Didn't it already come out that Vivek was all in on Luka and Vlade
I remember the Warriors one, can't recall the others. Fair enough and thanks for the reminders - but I don't think anyone can say Bogi is clutch and Buddy isn't. Here are some examples:

Aside from these end-of-game situations, he's also shot us back into many games when we were in big holes.

Honestly, I frikin hate Walton for this, because Bogi and Buddy in my mind are two excellent players that should be able to co-exist. We are in this situation thanks in no small part to Walton's pathetic coaching.
Yep. And they like eachother too! Argh. Too late though, have to pick one. Buddy's here and starting to be a contractual burden can't have two contractual burdens at SG after drafting someone they feel is going to change the franchise who will get at least half of his minutes at that spot.

Buddy didnt get along with Gentry, was glad Joerger was gone and hates Luke. It keeps getting worse yet there is one constant.
I looked back through and didn't really see any major things between Gentry and Buddy. And Buddy complimented him IIRC when Buddy was getting off the plane in Sac. Gentry was taking it slow and before Buddy was dealt for Cuz he was like he's ready now and was going to start him and use him more. I think there may have been more of a plan with Buddy. They took it slow. Which was still dumb but he wasn't on the outs.

The problem Bogi may have in Atlanta is getting enough PT.

They now have Young, Huerter, Snell, Rondo, and Dunn as guards. They also drafted Skylar Mays but I suspect he'll only get G-League run this year.

And at SF they have Gallinari, Hunter, Reddish (who can also slide to SG) so there aren't many minutes there.

I'm not even sure what Atlanta is doing at this point.

I also wonder how much McNair & co actually want to deal Hield. I think if they don't match on Bogi it makes sense to be patient and let Hield rebuild his trade value. But Hield, Fox, and Haliburton could potentially be a very good three guard combo as you could play any combo of them.

If Bagley comes around and the Kings can add a stud SF or PF in the draft then maybe you have a good team moving forward.
Bogdans first concern was money. There is no doubt now. They had him easily figured into two potential championship teams with the Bucks and Lakers. The playing time may eventually bite him in the butt. Careful what you wish for Bogdan.

Last edited:
Haliburton will likely be a good defender in time but it's pretty rare for a 20 year old rookie to be one right away.

And if the team does plan to trade Buddy it makes no sense to bench him.
Yeah, I mean he's wiry and he said he finished college at 168 pounds and he's 180 something now but his strength and ability to take a pounding from NBA players on the wing is still TBD.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Can we please not make this another American Kings fans vs. European Kings fans schism? We're not the ones calling the shots here, we're just giving our opinions. I'll give you another reason why I voted against matching the Atlanta offer sheet... I really don't like 3 guard lineups for defensive purposes and bringing both of our SGs back seemingly makes a 3 guard lineup inevitable. I'm happy keeping one or the other just not both and I don't have a strong preference for which one stays.

At this point, I’m pretty sure we’re letting Bogi walk. Kangz move in my opinion, but time will tell.

If Bogdan wanted to stay something is wrong with him! haha. Dude, face facts, the Kings were a mess last year and this is no surprise to anyone last year that could see what was actually happening. Now we rely on the slim hope that Walton got some common sense in the last few months.

If I were another team that wanted Buddy, I would feel like this is my best chance to get him cheap - right now. I hope it happens. I don't demand a premium return for Buddy, just something, anything.

If I were another team that wanted Buddy, I would feel like this is my best chance to get him cheap - right now. I hope it happens. I don't demand a premium return for Buddy, just something, anything.
I have a feeling this is the reason that Buddy hasn't been traded. The wording in Amick's tweet suggested that the Kings didn't like the offers they were receiving and were waiting to deal him when the team was in a stronger position. Reading between the lines, the Kings think they can get a better trade return on Buddy than with Bogie.

Both will be gone by the end of next season. Probably by mid season. However, if the team has Buddy and Bogi and Haliburton on the roster, other teams know we have to deal someone, so the Kings are in a weak position.

Buddy to Atlanta for Hunter, 2021 1st. 2023 2nd
Sorry you cant have Bogie, and you really need a starting SG

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They aren't exactly hurting for guards or SFs. The whole offer makes no sense to me. It seems like they just want to poach a player because they have money burning a hole in their pocket.
Right. And the crazy thing is that they’ve been adding one dimensional player after one dimensional player to the point that they pretty much have a lineup that would be absolutely garbage on offense but good at defense and a whole other set that is good at offense but potentially the worst defensive team of all time and not many players who are any good at both at the same time.
It’s like they decided to go all in on being a high powered offensive squad leaning into the fact Trae is possibly the worst individual defender in basketball but then got cold feet and decided to grab as many quote-unquote defenders as they could, offensive skills be damned.

If we’re praising Haliburton for apparently forcing his way to the Kings or whatever, I guess we shouldn’t bash Buddy then.
Even if the rumor of Haliburton navigating his way to SAC is true, there’s a big difference between a draft pick — who isn’t part of an org yet — letting his preference be known vs. an established player (that just received a ginormous payday mind you) trashing the org he’s on and showing love to other teams.

Big, huge difference.