Mark Jones named new TV PBP voice

Color me happy with this hire too. Mark Jones is a good PbP guy.

I’m wondering if the pro Kayte Hunter crowd here might get their wish with her becoming part time fill in? I can see that happening. Her or Kozimor. IDK, I suppose they could have Deuce called up from Stockton on those days too.
I think kayte would be more if a color analyst as opposed to pbp. But I’d be fine with koz, deuce or even the g-man since it’ll probably be only a few games they would fill in for.

I think kayte would be more if a color analyst as opposed to pbp. But I’d be fine with koz, deuce or even the g-man since it’ll probably be only a few games they would fill in for.
Totally agree. Only mentioned it because there were more than a few lobbying her for PbP.

Since it would be limited, it allows them a bit more latitude in trying something outside the box.

That said, I do think G-Man or Deuce would be the more obvious choices.

Another impressive hire for the organization! It’s nice to see so much competency through the organization finally. As a non sac/Californian, I really got a local vibe from Grant and Jerry I really connected to. Maybe it’s that Sacramento and my home state have some similarities (often overlooked and agricultural) Having said that, I’m excited to usher in a new era of Mark/Doug!

Excerpt from the athletic
“The fan should come from the broadcast going, ‘Oh, wow, I didn’t know that, what they were thinking or doing at that time,’” Jones said. “If I’m able to set Doug up to have one or two of those moments a game, that’s a win. That’s my responsibility, and it’s a job as play-by-play, you have to be very egoless. I think when you take a big slice of humble pie when you get the gig, everybody gets better. When play-by-play guys start taking themselves too seriously, I think that diminishes the wonderful abilities of analysts, and I’ve seen it and I never want to be one of those guys.”

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Heard him on the show with Doug Christie yesterday.......caught the tail end of the interview......so it might have been from earlier in the month but listening to Jones was really refreshing and professional. I’m going to enjoy him as our guy.

Can't post that our new play by play guy is a horrible human being?

Because any so called professional that celebrates another athletes season ending knee injury is a real POS.

All i did was a duck duck go search and there it is, not to mention a lot of other stuff that i won't post because, well, it'll get deleted.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can't post that our new play by play guy is a horrible human being?

Because any so called professional that celebrates another athletes season ending knee injury is a real POS.

All i did was a duck duck go search and there it is, not to mention a lot of other stuff that i won't post because, well, it'll get deleted.
Let me reiterate:

It is a fact that Mark Jones has been politically vocal. This website, as you all know, avoids political discussions for obvious reasons. Please do not push the discussion into Jones' politics, or into a comparison of Jones and Napear that goes beyond their abilities to announce a game. Thank you.
We know exactly where this was going. It's not going there, not on this website.

Excuse me but I didn’t go political at all. Didn’t have to.
He liked a tweet that celebrated the 49ers nick bosa blowing out his knee. That can be taken all by itself without going anywhere else.
Just so I’m informed.....are posts being deleted because of where they MIGHT go? Even if the initial post isn’t political at all?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's political, because Mark Jones liking a tweet mocking Boas's injury isn't a story, without talking about why there was a tweet mocking Bosa's injury, in the first place. Which, in turn, is not a story, without talking about Bosa's politics.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Frankly, I like what he brings. Much better and more professional than Grant as a PBP guy already after only one game watched. Grant relied way too much on just saying a player's name or complaining about technical FT all the time.

Yeah, it will take time for him to settle into the role and learn all the team nuances. I'm fine with that. But I really like what I hear already.

Frankly, I like what he brings. Much better and more professional than Grant as a PBP guy already after only one game watched. Grant relied way too much on just saying a player's name or complaining about technical FT all the time.

Yeah, it will take time for him to settle into the role and learn all the team nuances. I'm fine with that. But I really like what I hear already.
Disagree. Jones is more like a national TV game. Doesn't know crap about the team always asking Doug. Good a national PBP sucks as a local. Draper is 100x better. And don't say he's new to the team, Draper knew the team fine and was hired after.

Disagree. Jones is more like a national TV game. Doesn't know crap about the team always asking Doug. Good a national PBP sucks as a local. Draper is 100x better. And don't say he's new to the team, Draper knew the team fine and was hired after.
I don't agree with your take on Jones because I think that questioning is just a technique to create dialogue for the audience, but I agree about Draper. He surprised me with how good he was as the PBP last game, glad that he will get to do games this year.

I don't agree with your take on Jones because I think that questioning is just a technique to create dialogue for the audience, but I agree about Draper. He surprised me with how good he was as the PBP last game, glad that he will get to do games this year.
Which is fine in a national tv game where the audience will more fans of other teams or non nba fans. With a local broadcast the audience knows the team.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Yeah, more professional and does a better job at the actual PBP part than Grant generally did. Personally, I like it. Obviously, YMMV.

At this point, I've heard Jones do one preseason game. Does he have some improvements to make on knowing the team, history, and city? Does he have some more "settling in" to do working with Doug? Yes. But Grant took time to get to know the team in more detail as well. Those parts come with time. You can't expect "perfection" out the gate. And people have different tastes in this kind of thing.

Grant was OK at the PBP (he had his schtick and knew a lot about the sport), but he always complained about the same 2-3 things and WAY too often his sole input was:

"Webber. Bibby. Webber. Webber!"

That's it. No actual "PBP", just saying a player's name 3-4 times in a row.

I get it. Some folks liked his brash "NY" persona but I never really cared for it. While he and Jerry/Doug worked well together on TV, it was the Jerry/Doug part I really enjoyed most out of the duo.

Back on topic - I personally like what Mark Jones brings to the TV broadcast and am looking forward to him growing into the local announcer role a bit more over time.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Watching the buzzer beater trend and basketball fans around the world be shocked that Mark Jones is somehow our new PBP guy is fun.

Jones is a pro. He knows the game and has plenty of respect for it. He is learning all about the Kings in a hurry. I don't understand how anyone can complain that he doesn't know the Kings.
He is one of the best announcers out there.

Butter. I’m not getting a homer vibe. Call me crazy but I like the homer vibe. The excitement just isn’t there. He is good but he is neutral Nationaly televised game good. I want him to know Bagley is left handed and when he shoots left handed not say he did it with his weak hand. That really bugged me last night lol
He'll get there. Can't expect him to just download years and years of Kings info over the course of the shortest offseason of all time and expect him to know everything that we know.

It's better than Grant knowing but shilling for the franchise.