General Grant Napear termination discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I know a guy who does play by play for the US National Water Polo team (Greg Mescall) which is surprisingly quite similar to basketball. He would be a great replacement hire as he does fit the community.

So who made the call at KHTK? IMO it would be ethical if that person would step up and say "I fired Grant."

IMO the Kings should do the same even though Grant stepped down. Someone in the Kings organization should take ownership of Grant's absence.

Wow, another foolish Twitter suicide. Who's next? Napear was always arrogant know it all whose rudeness never compatible with more laid back Sac audience. It's strange his air of superiority NYC attitude tolerated over three long, mostly tortuous decades as part of Kings franchise history. But did it too himself in the end. Another part of terrible curse now gone so Kings fans can give sigh of relief, feel better times ahead. I shed no tears, good riddance Peaches.
Grant lost the Twitter game, and it is as simple as that. I'd venture to guess that even his infamous phrase wasn't the sole reason he ended up fired, but rather with that plus his later tweets. The Twitter Court allows screw ups, but you have to act accordingly once you screw up. He sealed his fate with his following tweets. Celebrities/public figures may have more to lose and a higher risk of losing at Twitter, but everyone runs the chance of losing with each tweet they submit. Be careful if you have a job/career that you value, this doesn't just happen to celebrities. Even though it's five years old now, Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed is a very relevant read.

Last edited:
Grant lost the Twitter game, and it is as simple as that. I'd venture to guess that even his infamous phrase wasn't the sole reason he ended up fired, but rather with that plus his later tweets. The Twitter Court allows screw ups, but you have to act accordingly once you screw up. He sealed his fate with his following tweets. Celebrities/public figures may have more to lose and a higher risk of losing at Twitter, but everyone runs the chance of losing with each tweet they submit. Be careful if you have a job/career that you value, this doesn't just happen to celebrities. Even though it's five years old now, Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed is a very relevant read.

Well I just read through Grant Napier's Twitter posts and I do not get it. Could someone please explain to me how this results in his firing?

Link to his Twitter account--> https://twitter.com/GrantNapearshow?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Well I just read through Grant Napier's Twitter posts and I do not get it. Could someone please explain to me how this results in his firing?

Link to his Twitter account--> https://twitter.com/GrantNapearshow?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
He replied unnecessarily to BLM with ALM with the current events that are taking place > strike 1. He double downed on his stance > Strike 2. No real apology, instead posting people supporting him while claiming innocence> Strike 3. Boogie backed up by other blue checks > Strike 3 swinging.

Why did he get fired? I'd only be speculating, but it must be related to public opinion...

As I said before, this shouldn't have but he should have been gone long ago or at least made to make the choice between radio show or announcing.

What I am afraid of is in the name of tolerance we are becoming very intolerant.

Wow, another foolish Twitter suicide. Who's next? Napear was always arrogant know it all whose rudeness never compatible with more laid back Sac audience. It's strange his air of superiority NYC attitude tolerated over three long, mostly tortuous decades as part of Kings franchise history. But did it too himself in the end. Another part of terrible curse now gone so Kings fans can give sigh of relief, feel better times ahead. I shed no tears, good riddance Peaches.
Grant was always extremely out of place in Sacramento, and it boggled my mind how he ended up staying for so long. I hope you all remember that this carpet bagger actually advocated for the Maloofs to move to Seattle.

Grant will not be remembered fondly in Sacramento.

As I said before, this shouldn't have but he should have been gone long ago or at least made to make the choice between radio show or announcing.

What I am afraid of is in the name of tolerance we are becoming very intolerant.
Not sure I’d be too worried about becoming very intolerant of intolerance. Negation of the negation is an affirmation of the positive.

[Modding]
And, regardless, the "no politics" rule still applies.
With all due respect, how?

If someone wants to discuss this, it’s essentially politics because that’s what got him canned.

This forum in particular has been very polarized on Mr Grant over the years.

I don’t think we need to go down the path of debating BLM and Trump, but to discuss this, the politics must be a part of it or nobody is saying anything of value.

I’m honestly bummed about Grants dismissal. Putting aside all the years thrown away like nothing over a tweet and all the debates about that....

As a play by play guy, chances are high that the Kings won’t end up with anybody nearly as good as him. I know the familiarity breeds contempt and we all knew Grant’s patterns during games to where it seemed automated to us and we made fun of them but he really is the best. He added an extra layer of energy to the game and almost always hits on big moments. Through all the years with league pass, very few guys In the association are on his level. So good news for Grant is I do think he’ll catch on somewhere else, maybe even with another NBA organization...probably minus the radio show and oversized influence.

As for his radio show. I won’t miss it but I think KHTK probably will. I don’t care for Grant that much as a sports mind since he really is pretty casual outside of what he’s directly studying for work. He has a lot of historical sports knowledge but he can’t give informed discussion about most current sports events...and his radio show was pretty low of substance. A lot of “I don’t have a crystal ball” and “I don’t want to speculate” when any decent sports talk show is all crystal balls and speculation. That’s why he had to blow his stack on callers for no reason all the time.

Anyway, it won’t be the same without Grant calling the games

Grant was always extremely out of place in Sacramento, and it boggled my mind how he ended up staying for so long. I hope you all remember that this carpet bagger actually advocated for the Maloofs to move to Seattle.

Grant will not be remembered fondly in Sacramento.
Not Seattle. He had seemed indifferent about the Kings moving to Anaheim probably because the Maloofs would still own the team In that scenario and likely kept him as play by play.

but when they agreed to sell to Hansen and Ballmer it was “roll your sleeves to your freakin neck” and flipping out on callers who acted like it was all over.

Last edited:
Not sure I’d be too worried about becoming very intolerant of intolerance. Negation of the negation is an affirmation of the positive.
This isn't a simple math problem. Another way to phrase it is, "When one becomes bigoted towards A bigot they become THE bigot." Not a easy balancing act between advocating against what you detest and not becoming that very same thing. And no, I don't have any answers.

The manner that Grant responded was wrong. Caps equal yelling. And downright rude. But he should not have lost his job FOR THAT. He had enough history with his radio show to have been shown the door long before.

But like it or not, the method of presentation comes across just that. Other lives don't matter. And that is not the point that the majority of the protesters are meaning to make but easily could be perceived that way.

I will give an example, Brees made a statement on why he opposed the kneeling during the National Anthem. There was nothing wrong with that. He gave his opinion and why he felt that way. The public backlash he took, was that justified? He cowered and apologized. I can accept people kneeling in protest and can even understand that. But by George, I am not going to approve of that. And for the record, I won't approve of what Kapernich did, but I can respect him for it. He put his money and career on the line and paid one hell of a price after he was blacklisted. Which was not right. The whole handling of that turned me off in terms of the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The manner that Grant responded was wrong. Caps equal yelling. And downright rude. But he should not have lost his job FOR THAT. He had enough history with his radio show to have been shown the door long before.

But like it or not, the method of presentation comes across just that. Other lives don't matter. And that is not the point that the majority of the protesters are meaning to make but easily could be perceived that way.

I will give an example, Brees made a statement on why he opposed the kneeling during the National Anthem. There was nothing wrong with that. He gave his opinion and why he felt that way. The public backlash he took, was that justified? He cowered and apologized. I can accept people kneeling in protest and can even understand that. But by George, I am not going to approve of that. And for the record, I won't approve of what Kapernich did, but I can respect him for it. He put his money and career on the line and paid one hell of a price after he was blacklisted. Which was not right. The whole handling of that turned me off in terms of the NFL.
I'm not sure if your post will also survive given that the post you're responding to was deleted, but I think there are a couple things that can be stated, sticking to the facts as much as possible.

First, given what Jason Jones and others have said, Grant's departure was about more than just that Tweet. Whether due to racial insensitivity or not, he was an alienating enough figure that current players refused to come on his show. That would appear to be a sufficient business justification for termination in itself, no?

Second, the Tweet itself is problematic. As you suggest, some interpret "Black Lives Matter," to mean "Black Lives matter only," and not "Black Lives Matter, too." But, as you also note, the first interpretation is at odds with what the protestors mean. So, why not listen to them! And, given all that the Kings organization itself has done with BLM the past couple years, not knowing that the second interpretation is what really matters is itself problematic, because it makes it look like he wasn't paying attention to what the team and players were saying. Thus, Grant's claim of ignorance actually hurts his case. Either he knew how his response would come off, or he should have known, and either way it's not a good look.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not sure if your post will also survive given that the post you're responding to was deleted, but I think there are a couple things that can be stated, sticking to the facts as much as possible.

First, given what Jason Jones and others have said, Grant's departure was about more than just that Tweet. Whether due to racial insensitivity or not, he was an alienating enough figure that current players refused to come on his show. That would appear to be a sufficient business justification for termination in itself, no?

Second, the Tweet itself is problematic. As you suggest, some interpret "Black Lives Matter," to mean "Black Lives matter only," and not "Black Lives Matter, too." But, as you also note, the first interpretation is at odds with what the protestors mean. So, why not listen to them! And, given all that the Kings organization itself has done with BLM the past couple years, not knowing that the second interpretation is what really matters is itself problematic, because it makes it look like he wasn't paying attention to what the team and players were saying. Thus, Grant's claim of ignorance actually hurts his case. Either he knew how his response would come off, or he should have known, and either way it's not a good look.
No, it doesn't look good. Especially with the caps. Reuters had a interesting article about qualified immunity before any of this happened. They have since followed up following the violence with another on the same subject. I won't go into details but they are interesting reads. Hopefully there will be some bipartisanship solution to address the qualified immunity.

If this links to a story hidden behind a paywall, you're gonna need to do a bit of a summary. I don't know about anyone else, but the Bee doesn't get a dime from me to read the stuff they promote and then try and get you to pay for.
If you avoided clicking.....

You saved yourself an irritating click, and the lovely paywall.

Status
Not open for further replies.