Bajadens 1st mindless mock draft for 2020:

As you know, I'm not a big fan of Hampton's, so unless someone knows something I don't know, I'm not convinced he should be a lottery pick. He's a very good athlete, and I think he did himself a disservice by skipping college where he could have played against players of equal age and ability. I watched a ton of film on him and nothing made my heart skip a beat. Look, I could be dead wrong about him. I've been wrong plenty of times, but one can only go on what one see's, and I don't see a lottery pick.

Toppin is a different story. Offensively he's one of the best players in the draft, and in my humble opinion, the best big man. Remember, he was the best player on that Dayton team, and every team he faced planned their defense to stop him, and they couldn't. When I first saw him he reminded me of a young Karl Malone with the way he ran the floor and finished. He comes with a good mid-range game and the ability to shoot the three. (39% on three attempts a game)

One of the most impressive things about Toppin was his consistency game to game. He seldom had a bad game. If I had to pick one area where I think he needs to improve is to be more consistent in the rebounding dept, however, he did average just under 8 a game. Some scouts question his defense at the next level, and I get that. But based on what I saw, he certainly gave the effort, and I didn't think he had any glaring flaws defensively. Do I think he'll be a lock down defender? Nope, but I think he'll be fine and not a liability. Right now, he's a better player than Okongwu. Will he be better in two or three years? Who knows?

Lastly, I like Ramsey, but he's a player that's likely to go at the bottom of the first rd. If I have Nesmith and Ramsey sitting there, I would definitely take Nesmith, who is taller, and a better shooter. Nesmith comes with the ability to play both the SF and SG positions. I see Ramsey as a pure SG. What really perked my interest in Ramsey was his ability to explode in a few games throughout the season, teasing that there's more there. Now if Ramsey falls into the 2nd rd, then I grab him in a heartbeat, but that's not likely to happen. I say that knowing that in this draft, who knows?
I like Toppin a lot and think you can easily make the argument he's the best player in the draft right at this moment. So smooth and skilled on offense and a fantastic athlete. He's exactly what you want offensively from your big man in today's game; ability to stretch it out, have basic on-ball skills, super athletic, dominant in transition, has moves from anywhere on the floor. Defensively, there's some concerns, but he's incredibly long with a great wingspan/standing reach/athleticism. There's a really good foundation to mold and coach up on that end. Especially with the current core, there's a lot of creativity you can do with lineups and plugging him into different scenarios with him at the 5, him next to Holmes/Giles, etc.

My big issue is what the heck you do with Bagley if you take him. Offensively, the pair could work because Toppin could space, but him and Bagley operate are best out of similar play sets. Defensively.... not sure how you'd make that work. We know Bagley's struggles already and you're putting a lot of faith in Toppin being able to come in an anchor a defense while giving you the offensive skill-set you draft him for.

Maybe if you package Bagley+Late lotto pick for a top 5 pick to draft Toppin might be enough to get a team to bite.

If you had the chance to draft him (say we get lucky and move up), do you think they work long-term together?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Toppin a lot and think you can easily make the argument he's the best player in the draft right at this moment. So smooth and skilled on offense and a fantastic athlete. He's exactly what you want offensively from your big man in today's game; ability to stretch it out, have basic on-ball skills, super athletic, dominant in transition, has moves from anywhere on the floor. Defensively, there's some concerns, but he's incredibly long with a great wingspan/standing reach/athleticism. There's a really good foundation to mold and coach up on that end. Especially with the current core, there's a lot of creativity you can do with lineups and plugging him into different scenarios with him at the 5, him next to Holmes/Giles, etc.

My big issue is what the heck you do with Bagley if you take him. Offensively, the pair could work because Toppin could space, but him and Bagley operate are best out of similar play sets. Defensively.... not sure how you'd make that work. We know Bagley's struggles already and you're putting a lot of faith in Toppin being able to come in an anchor a defense while giving you the offensive skill-set you draft him for.

Maybe if you package Bagley+Late lotto pick for a top 5 pick to draft Toppin might be enough to get a team to bite.

If you had the chance to draft him (say we get lucky and move up), do you think they work long-term together?
Well, you can make anything work, but just because it works doesn't mean your getting the most out of both players. For instance, I watched Dallas play a this last season just to see Doncic play, and the one thing that was obvious was that he needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective. And, so does Fox. Could they have drafted Doncic and made it work? Sure, but I don't think you would be playing both players to their strengths because neither is that terrific off the ball. But hey, maybe in time.

In regards to Bagley/Toppin, I don't think the problem is as large. Toppin has already shown he can shoot the three, so he could step out to the perimeter when on the floor with Bagley. However, to start, he could come off the bench behind Bagley. I doubt the Kings would even consider trading Bagley at this point without knowing what they have in him. You would hate to trade him and then have him be a all star a couple of years later. There's something to be said for having two terrific athlete's running the floor with Fox.