what was the last movie you watched?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
For me, it's Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York. This film split me in two when I saw it after its release in 2008. It was one of those rare experiences with art that transformed something inside me. I was not the same person after seeing this film. It is beautiful. Strange. Morose. Alien. Staggering. Oppressive. There are images from that film that still haunt me, so much so that I have not been able to return to it since. It's a powerful meditation on loneliness, featuring one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's most affecting performances. I would love to revisit Synecdoche, New York, but I do not know if I can.
Like Requiem for a Dream, this doesn't sound like a movie I would seek out to watch. I also don't recall seeing this movie advertised.

Just scrolling through the IMDB info for this one and it didn't do so well in theaters. I never really noticed this information on their site before and now I'm curious about other movies. I'll have to start checking that. Doesn't mean anything, obviously, but it is interesting info.

Budget:
$20,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend USA:
$172,194,26 October 2008

Gross USA:
$3,083,538

Cumulative Worldwide Gross:
$4,580,758

Elysium. Futuristic dystopia of haves and have-nots is the general idea. The premise has good bones but the development and ending underwhelmed. Id say its around average.
The next movie on my list is The Irishman. Its tough to mess up Scorcese, De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci on the same movie. Should be good.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
We are going to see it in a few hours. Some seem to like it, some seem to hate it. We'll see....
While I thought the acting was good (Sandler definitely did a good job), OMG cut down on the F-bombs. Literally every 2-3 words was a shouted F-bomb through large stretches of the movie. My wife wanted to walk out a couple of times. Dropping it a few times for effect, sure. But holy cow. Develop some language skills for the script other than cussing. It really doesn't help the movie at all.

The movie had some good bones to it and could have been much better with some tweaks, starting with the above. As-is, not recommended, at least for most people.

Teej and I watched Shazam last night. For me this was easily the best DC film since the Nolan films. Good mix of family humor plus a threatening bad guy and the end battle wasn't something on the scale of WW3. Also it was right about 2 hours so not ridiculously long, though we did start it late.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a movie in a theater on its initial run that absolutely floored me. Saving Private Ryan, Memento, Children of Men, Mad Max Fury Road, and now 1917. It's a war movie so I understand that it won't be for everyone but that experience of watching it for the first time is something I'm always going to remember. I think it's a flawless movie and I'd recommend seeing it in the biggest theater you can find with the best sound system. Movies are great for all sorts of different reasons but just on a pure "visceral experience" level, this is right up there with the best of the best.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a movie in a theater on its initial run that absolutely floored me. Saving Private Ryan, Memento, Children of Men, Mad Max Fury Road, and now 1917. It's a war movie so I understand that it won't be for everyone but that experience of watching it for the first time is something I'm always going to remember. I think it's a flawless movie and I'd recommend seeing it in the biggest theater you can find with the best sound system. Movies are great for all sorts of different reasons but just on a pure "visceral experience" level, this is right up there with the best of the best.
Agreed. I thought it was fantastic. The one continuous shot edit was really well done. I felt like it really put you in the trenches with the actors. Highly recommend this one.

I will see 1917 but I do wish I did not know about the long shots going in. I prefer my home theater to commercial theaters so I'll probably hold off.

With a 3 day weekend with my son on tap I need to figure out what to watch.

Wasn’t feeling to well on the weekend so it was Netflix time.....

Eli. Horror genre, interesting twist at the end. Nothing else to do, I’d give it a watch.

1922. Based on a Stephen King story, I really liked this one. 80% liked it on rotten tomatoes and that feels accurate. Same as Eli, if you got time and searching for some movies and you are into the Stephen King universe, it should satisfy

The Art of Self Defense

Very enjoyable dark comedy. Jesse Eisenberg is quirky and funny, like a male version of Anna Kendrick.

Speaking of Anne Kendrick, her recent movie, A Simple Favor, is also very enjoyable.

Speaking of Anne Kendrick, her recent movie, A Simple Favor, is also very enjoyable.
I didn't really care for it but I kept watching because of Anna (I liked the other gal too I guess but mostly Anna. I smile when she shows up in stupid commercials).

I watched Yesterday on Saturday with kiddo. He is a huge Beatles fan. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it was, it was charming despite not being a fan of the premise (and if you know me, you know I'm more Beach Boys than Beatles). It could have taken a more serious exam of the music industry or trappings of fame but it kept it all pretty light and poppy. Even the other Beatles fans living in a Mandela-effect world was pretty much played for smiles. Which makes it a good movie for young music fans. Ed Sheeran comes out looking nice as well even though he commits the unforgivable sin of changing "Hey Jude" to Hey Dude".

I picked up IT2 last night and ordered a few other flicks but probably can't watch until the weekend as I have a few early shifts coming up.

The Gentlemen - so good. Hugh Grant is hilarious in this film. Colin Ferrel as well. One of my recent favorites.

JoJo Rabbit- very funny. Rockwell with another great performance.

it was a solid movie weekend.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Went to see Birds of Prey today - just...don't. It isn't good. Some individual bits (Margot Robbie, some fight choreography, etc.) are good, but the movie overall isn't (Ewan McGregor's bad guy is directed poorly, movie constantly jumps around chronologically in the first half (somewhat needlessly, and effectively trying to write out the Joker from the film), the movie tone is uneven throughout, etc.).

Also, why was just about every preview for a horror flick? Show some variety at least for those of us who don't bother with that genre (although I do want to catch the Young Mutants).

Also watched 6 Underground on Netflix. Definitely a Michael Bay movie, but with even less of a coherent story than the Transformer movies (if you can believe it). Lots of good action sequences though. Entertaining for the most part, but portions were definitely way over the top. I like Ryan Reynolds probably a little bit more than I should as an actor. His timing and delivery is pretty darn good most of the time with the sarcastic comments.

I watched The Dead Don't Die on date night Wednesday. This was a real gem. Great cast too. The usual "Jim Jarmusch is not for everybody" caveat maybe applies to folks who exclusively like modern zombie flicks, but as a fan of old Romero and Raimi style flicks I loved it without the caveat. But yes, very dry humor that might turn some folks off.

I then watched Turn It Around - The Story of East Bay Punk on Friday night. Pretty long and comprehensive doc on Bay Area punk scene/Maximum Rock and Roll/Gilman Street from late 70s to mid-90s, ends up focusing heavily on Green Day towards the end and defending their major label jump (Jawbreaker also mentioned for having done so) which was a bit unnecessary in extending the run time way past 2 hours but uh, guess who produced it?

I think I may have watched a few other things that have slipped my mind because I'm down in the basement theater all the time now.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can't believe I hadn't watched "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Montana" until today. Glad I finally got a chance to see it.
Is that a sequel to the one set in Missouri? ;)

If you haven't seen In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths (director Martin McDonagh's other two efforts) I highly recommend both.