[Game] Kings @ Jazz - Saturday, Jan. 18 - 6PT/9ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they traded the guy that helped bridge the gap. Look, defensively the fundamentals are flawed. They just are. Obviously the Kings know this because tonight they're just throwing crap in out of nowhere like switching almost everything. Where was this when Ariza was in the lineup? Anyway, Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Barnes, and Bagley is probably their best shot at doing both. Decent? Eh, it's likely beyond even personnel at this point so beggars can't be choosers.
In that case I would play Bjelica instead of Bagley, put Buddy and Bjelica in the corners and have Fox play pick and roll with Barnes. that would keep the paint open for him.

The Jazz is a team of players that have played together and know each other and their coach very well.
True but any NBA team worth their salt that has talent and their back against a wall eventually shows up even if for at least one game. 2nd half countdown to oblivion. Give us some hope fellas.

In that case I would play Bjelica instead of Bagley, put Buddy and Bjelica in the corners and have Fox play pick and roll with Barnes. that would keep the paint open for him.
Yeah, I would also do what Walton did for a few games and bring Bjelica in for Bagley and vice versa. Stagger them so you have at least one on the floor for most of the game.

His defense hasn't been that bad really. He's been aggressive and using his length fairly well this season. The Kings help on defense (although tonight there has been more switching than we've ever seen) and if teams break down your help scheme on as little as 2-3 passes you are going to get teams going early and here we are again, back to a single run deficit you just can't seem to make up. I don't think the Kings have the combination of length and athletic ability at the 3 and 4 to run a middle help scheme that results in run outs to the perimeter. You need feet choppers and long athletes to excel at that. Bazemore should help but by moving Ariza in the process it's one step forward, one step back.
we have seen multiple instances of player walking alone to the basket because someone was lost on the switch. Given we rarely saw that with Beli and Holmes on the floor I’m guessing Marvin had something to do with it.

OK, here's a good example at how ridiculous some of the Kings offensive choices are. They go with Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Barnes, and Bagley. What happens you ask? Bogdan posts up his man. Now ask yourself, how often do you see the Jazz post up other players around Gobert? On the very first play together, this is what you get.

we have seen multiple instances of player walking alone to the basket because someone was lost on the switch. Given we rarely saw that with Beli and Holmes on the floor I’m guessing Marvin had something to do with it.
Wait a minute though, and I brought this up many games back, teams have figured out how to attack the Kings and they did long before Bagley was back. The Kings are susceptible in the middle and the corners which is crazy because thats what playing back on pick and roll should help in. The mishaps tonight are largely because they haven't run this much switch defense since Walton has been here and they are indeed confused.

Grant and Doug were just commenting on the difference between the Jazz and Kings on defense. The Jazz are pressuring in the half-court and the Kings are passive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.