[Game] Kings v. Thunder - Wednesday, Dec. 11 - 7PT, 10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Let’s be honest. Walton darn near left Bagley in too long. The defense stiffened measurably when Holmes came back in. I can’t say about long term but currently this team is much better with Richaun at Center.
You said virtually the same thing in the Holmes thread so I'll make a similar response.

Walton didn't leave him in too long so what's your point?

Did anyone else notice Grant being more excited about Bagley’s putback vs the two Holmes had? It just gives me the sense that they’re trying to hype him whenever they can.

Also, does anyone else think that Holmes may be able to reach higher than Bagley off the jump? I’d be curious in a little friendly competition
Naw see that's your "I'm a Luka fan over a Kings fan" itch being activated.

That spurt by Holmes was DPOY stuff I know he won't get a sniff but man he's all NBA defense in my mind. His defense on CP3 switches was amazing and the two steals were just great. Ariza defensively is a ace again he was amazing throughout the game on D. When it doubt in late game situations just call a Serb.
Good call out on Ariza too. He’s flown under the radar. He was getting a lot of grief from fans early this season, but he’s been pretty solid lately.

We keep talking about Holmes and Joseph, but Trevor has had moments too.

I've never been a fan of 8-man rotations. But I know enough to NOT argue with success.
11-13, I wouldn't call 'success' - more like 'treading water' - last year they were 13-11 as of similar time period in the schedule when defense was an afterthought, granted they're still down an injury now. Last season, during the whole season, their best mark was 4 games over .500 at 30-26 - that is the first bar rising over which would indicate better 'success' than last year. They may never make that mark, who knows. The defense has improved though at least. I like the idea using more of the bench to facilitate that more.

11-13, I wouldn't call 'success' - more like 'treading water' - last year they were 13-11 as of similar time period in the schedule when defense was an afterthought, granted they're still down an injury now. Last season, during the whole season, their best mark was 4 games over .500 at 30-26 - that is the first bar rising over which would indicate better 'success' than last year. They may never make that mark, who knows. The defense has improved though at least. I like the idea using more of the bench to facilitate that more.
Maybe I wasn't referring to their 10-13 record as a success?
Maybe I was referring to their more recent play, after Luke trimmed down the rotation?
I would also like to see James and Giles get some regular minutes so they can be better prepared if needed down the stretch or in the playoffs.
And I would like Dedmon to get some minutes so he has a chance to redeem himself and regain some trade value. And who knows, maybe he becomes the port to Bagley's chocolate. I've almost lost hope in that pairing.
But I'm tipping my hat to Luke and the rotation that has most Kings fans pretty excited these days.

The point is to nit pick and throw shade to Walton of course as a way to raise one's clout. It's tiresome. Walton is doing a fine job.
No the point is despite Bagley’s hype currently Richaun is the much better player. If the Kings want to win and make the play-offs Richaun is going to have to play more minutes than Bagley. This short term goal may be in conflict with the long term plan. It’s going to be a tough balancing act going forward.

Maybe I wasn't referring to their 10-13 record as a success?
Maybe I was referring to their more recent play, after Luke trimmed down the rotation?
I would also like to see James and Giles get some regular minutes so they can be better prepared if needed down the stretch or in the playoffs.
And I would like Dedmon to get some minutes so he has a chance to redeem himself and regain some trade value. And who knows, maybe he becomes the port to Bagley's chocolate. I've almost lost hope in that pairing.
But I'm tipping my hat to Luke and the rotation that has most Kings fans pretty excited these days.
Yeah I thought if he was going to go offense defense with Buddy and CoJo, I might have extended it to Bogi and James.

dude12

Hall of Famer
When Bagley is in the game, the other team shades him so much it opens up space for the other players......Holmes doesn’t have that impact on the other team. I’m not knocking Holmes either, what he has been doing is tremendous. Some of these hot takes that Holmes needs to play more than Bagley are misguided. Bagley is going to be a star, you play him. Bagley, Holmes and Bjelica all bring something different and they all need minutes. It’s up to Walton to make it work. i mean, early in the game, Adams had his way with Holmes and I thought Bagley held his own. Walton’s going to mix and match and take advantage of situations.

Best line is this thread was another poster who responded to a comment that Holmes shouldn’t lose minutes to Bagley when he/she said Holmes was fresh at the end of the game because he lost minutes to Bagley. Was able to make those plays and guard CP3.

The good news is we have all of these pieces that are contributing at a high level

Naw see that's your "I'm a Luka fan over a Kings fan" itch being activated.
First off, I’m a kings fan first. Always have been and always will be. Secondly, who said I was a Luka fan? I was yelling at my TV cheering for the kings to beat the Mavs and was very happy to see Doncic getting frustrated by our guys.

I also wanted us to draft Anunoby in the 2017 draft. Would you like to label me an Anunoby fan as well?

It helps to think before you blurt our this utter nonsense.

When Bagley is in the game, the other team shades him so much it opens up space for the other players......Holmes doesn’t have that impact on the other team. I’m not knocking Holmes either, what he has been doing is tremendous. Some of these hot takes that Holmes needs to play more than Bagley are misguided. Bagley is going to be a star, you play him. Bagley, Holmes and Bjelica all bring something different and they all need minutes. It’s up to Walton to make it work. i mean, early in the game, Adams had his way with Holmes and I thought Bagley held his own. Walton’s going to mix and match and take advantage of situations.

Best line is this thread was another poster who responded to a comment that Holmes shouldn’t lose minutes to Bagley when he/she said Holmes was fresh at the end of the game because he lost minutes to Bagley. Was able to make those plays and guard CP3.

The good news is we have all of these pieces that are contributing at a high level
Holmes has been the best player on the team by a wide margin this year. Saying he shouldn't have his minutes reduced is anything but a hot take. Bagley is actually a good perimeter defender and could probably have done a very similar job on that last play against CP3 as Holmes did. But he got abused in the paint on defense on multiple occasions. It's why Holmes' defensive rating was 88 for the game and Bagley's was 99. He also had the second highest offensive rating for the game while Bagley had the 2nd lowest. Noel went up against Bagley for the majority of his minutes and scored the same amount of points as Bagley while taking 8 less shots.

I'm not expecting Marvin to come back and play like an all star in his first game in 7 weeks but I'm also not going to expect him to be as good as Holmes when you take into account his full body of work up until this point. He's still got a very long ways to go before he starts playing winning basketball. As of right now, Holmes plays a higher level of winning basketball than anyone on the team while Marvin still plays losing basketball. If you want to win games and make the playoffs this year, you don't swap the winning player's minutes for the player who is currently losing.

So Beli 22min,Bagley 23min,Holmes 24 min I am down with a 3 man Big rotation, But why only 69 min for our bigs?
I understand Bagley needs to ease back into his minutes, but why not more min for Belly and Holmes? Was it the 4 fouls?
I kept on wondering why Beli was not in more after he kicked butt for last two games, Is Luke afraid to play Marvin and Holmes together?

No the point is despite Bagley’s hype currently Richaun is the much better player. If the Kings want to win and make the play-offs Richaun is going to have to play more minutes than Bagley. This short term goal may be in conflict with the long term plan. It’s going to be a tough balancing act going forward.
We're all traumatized from bad coaching for over a decade with the only exception getting fired when he started having success... and yes, Grant has seemingly been part of the "campaign" for whatever PR mission may seem to be at odds with our success. However Walton strikes me as completely competent for managing minutes, egos, and culture.

Bagley has also earned that hype though, and he will be given time based on past performances. I expect Holmes and Bags will be our starting 4/5 going forward, in about two weeks. I could see end of game situations alternating between Belly, Holmes, and Bags depending on matchups, offense/defensive possessions, and situations.

I have no reason to doubt Walton.

Last edited:
Holmes has been the best player on the team by a wide margin this year. Saying he shouldn't have his minutes reduced is anything but a hot take. Bagley is actually a good perimeter defender and could probably have done a very similar job on that last play against CP3 as Holmes did. But he got abused in the paint on defense on multiple occasions. It's why Holmes' defensive rating was 88 for the game and Bagley's was 99. He also had the second highest offensive rating for the game while Bagley had the 2nd lowest. Noel went up against Bagley for the majority of his minutes and scored the same amount of points as Bagley while taking 8 less shots.
Good post. There are situations and circumstances that numbers just can't account for though. It's Marvin's 1st game back for himself and for the team with him, so I'm not sure a full breakdown is really warranted at this point. As far as Marvin's shooting numbers, Marvin was wearing a brace to begin the game. When he tore it off after a timeout later in the game, his shooting got more consistent.

Also, comparing his shooting efficiency to Holmes and Noel is not an apple's to apple's comparison. Noel and Holmes are rim runner, cleanup guys. Marvin actually handles the ball and creates his own shot. Which style someone likes is a personal preference, not a defect in the player. As @dude12 pointed out, Marvin's presence created a change in how OKC had to guard the floor. I love Holmes, but he doesn't impact that side of the floor in that way.

As far as defense, yes Holmes is a better defender overall. Marvin's issues are not physical or effort based. It's technique and experience. So the defense has already improved from last year and will continue to get better over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.