Marc Spears speaks up for Luke Walton and praises the Kings on ESPN's 'The Jump'

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
and Rachel and the jump LIVE to attack the Kings and make jokes, so i love that he did this right in her face
Nah, I can't co-sign this, though: Rachel loves the Kings. She might get her jokes off, but she loves y'all. Not as much as she loves Allen Iverson but, hey, I'm not sure she even loves Max that much.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Is this the sarcasm font? It must be.
No, it isn't. But, since Kings Fans tend to be afflicted with the fandom equivalent of "short man syndrome," I suppose I can see why you may not care for that particular sort of humor. Anything even slightly critical is going to come across as 'hate' to a fanbase that believes that it's always being picked on.

No, it isn't. But, since Kings Fans tend to be afflicted with the fandom equivalent of "short man syndrome," I suppose I can see why you may not care for that particular sort of humor. Anything even slightly critical is going to come across as 'hate' to a fanbase that believes that it's always being picked on.
I understand where you’re coming from, but Nichols isn’t the hill to take a stand on in this regard. She had a “As the Kings Turn” or some such regular bit for years, and is the Pied Piper of calling for every super star to move to LA or NY.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I understand where you’re coming from, but Nichols isn’t the hill to take a stand on in this regard. She had a “As the Kings Turn” or some such regular bit for years, and is the Pied Piper of calling for every super star to move to LA or NY.
I am aware. I watch The Jump every day. "As the Kings Turn" is funny. I liked that segment even before I quit the Kings.

And Rachel Nichols is absolutely the "hill" I will take a stand on: she is one of my Top 3 favorite people associated with the NBA.

I am aware. I watch The Jump every day. "As the Kings Turn" is funny. I liked that segment even before I quit the Kings.

And Rachel Nichols is absolutely the "hill" I will take a stand on: she is one of my Top 3 favorite people associated with the NBA.
Great, but she doesn’t love the Kings and Sacramento fans having a negative opinion of Nichols isn’t “little man syndrome”. Anyway, carry on.

and Rachel and the jump LIVE to attack the Kings and make jokes, so i love that he did this right in her face
I don‘t watch that show often, and one of the reasons is what you said here. Their unprofessional behavior in piling on teams in a negative way. It’s one thing to offer limited coverage of a losing/irrelevant team. But it’s altogether different to continually mock and paint one of the NBA’s franchises in negative light. IMO it’s one of the ways the media contributes to creating inequality not only in how these games are officiated but how many fans, free agents, etc. view the different franchises.

Another reason is that I find Rachel Nichols annoying. I don’t know what qualifies her as an expert in ESPN’s eyes, but she’s far from it.

I don‘t watch that show often, and one of the reasons is what you said here. Their unprofessional behavior in piling on teams in a negative way. It’s one thing to offer limited coverage of a losing/irrelevant team. But it’s altogether different to continually mock and paint one of the NBA’s franchises in negative light. IMO it’s one of the ways the media contributes to creating inequality not only in how these games are officiated but how many fans, free agents, etc. view the different franchises.

Another reason is that I find Rachel Nichols annoying. I don’t know what qualifies her as an expert in ESPN’s eyes, but she’s far from it.
I don't watch that nonsense at all. At Globetrotters games, the idea that the Washington Generals deserve fair treatment is hilarious. If there are people who think the Kings deserve fair treatment, that's also hilarious within the context of the joke. That show, and most of BSPN's coverage, is much more often about the joke than about reality. If the Kings might actually be good this year, that ruins the joke. I finally got over getting excited when one of their "experts" actually has something nice to say about the Kings.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think my biggest takeaway from this thread is just how differently I consume sports-as-entertainment from the "average" sports fan. Like, it's something I've always "known" (and is a big part of why it was easy for me to stop rooting for teams), but it somehow still always surprises me when threads like this pop up. I can't even imagine watching a show like The Jump, and thinking a single thing they do on that show is objectionable. o_O

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Where was the back-patting? You must be under the mistaken impression that, by different, I meant better? I simply meant out of place. Even when I was a Kings Fan, I never really fit in, because of how I'm wired, I've never really been capable of caring more about the "name on the front" than the name on the back; that's never been more than lip service, to me. So I can't relate to the idea of thinking that an analyst or broadcaster or whatever is bad, because they don't say nice things about my team.

Where was the back-patting? You must be under the mistaken impression that, by different, I meant better? I simply meant out of place. Even when I was a Kings Fan, I never really fit in, because of how I'm wired, I've never really been capable of caring more about the "name on the front" than the name on the back; that's never been more than lip service, to me. So I can't relate to the idea of thinking that an analyst or broadcaster or whatever is bad, because they don't say nice things about my team.
Nah I was just messing with you man. I only slightly thought you may be back-patting (like 30% chance) but with Blob or Brick not being around anymore and this newly discovered Barry Horowitz GIF burning a hole in my pocket......figured time to use it somewhere.

Agree with most of what you said. ESPN is a disaster these days in general but most of this perceived bias from the Kings fanbase in regards to ESPN and the national media in general is just that perceived. It's a combination of small market, not winning enough for a decade plus, and getting oh-so close in the early 2000s while falling spectacularly just short.

In the case of ESPN I never thought that they had anything against Sacramento it's just that they don't care and barely acknowledge the existence.

ESPN is a disaster these days in general but most of this perceived bias from the Kings fanbase in regards to ESPN and the national media in general is just that perceived.
It‘s not perceived. You‘re either suffering from denial or just want to take the opposite POV for the sake of it.

They have a near daily anti-KINGS segment for Pete’s sake. What further proof do you need? Seriously.

Were they doing “As the Lakers turn” the past 6 years as they continued to flounder and further a train wreck? Nope.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It‘s not perceived. You‘re either suffering from denial or just want to take the opposite POV for the sake of it.

They have a near daily anti-KINGS segment for Pete’s sake. What further proof do you need? Seriously.

Were they doing “As the Lakers turn” the past 6 years as they continued to flounder and further a train wreck? Nope.
Yeah but, fan allegiance aside, surely you would admit that the Sacramento Kings front office personnel/ownership have given a lot for sports entertainment commentators to make fun of for going on... well, I've lost track at this point of how long. There's more than a whiff of truth to all of it regardless of how much of the expected hyperbole is applied. It should also be noted that they're nearly unanimous in their sympathy and support for us as fans.