what was the last movie you watched?

Just saw a trailer for the "Hunt for the Bone Collector"... Hollywood has officially lost its freaking mind. You don't remake a classic Denzel Washington/Angelina Jolie movie.
Sounds like it is a new TV procedural centered around the main characters of the film. Though the question "Why?" is legitimate.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sounds like it is a new TV procedural centered around the main characters of the film. Though the question "Why?" is legitimate.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. well, that explains part of it. Lincoln Rhymes, however, is an incredible character and I doubt if a TV series can do him justice.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Got around to watching Midway. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Thought the aerial scenes were incredible. You get a good feel for how brave these men were in putting their lives on the line.
Yeah, they did a pretty good job with that one overall. Except for the scenes where they had planes flying so close to the ground, etc. But that's what you get when you have the guy from Independence Day in charge (not picking on the movie, just saying you can see some of the similarities with direction). Same thing with movies like Godzilla and Pacific Rim (although any time I run across Pacific Rim I still stop scrolling through channels and watch it). You are in a jet plane. With missiles/rockets and guns. Why do you fly close enough for the monsters to grab you? You shouldn't be within a mile of it at the closest!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just took dad to go see Knives Out and that was one movie that I think was better than the preview. Murder mystery with some light comedy thrown in, good acting by good actors, and a few twists to keep you guessing along the way. Well done. We both really enjoyed it. Recommended.

Just took dad to go see Knives Out and that was one movie that I think was better than the preview. Murder mystery with some light comedy thrown in, good acting by good actors, and a few twists to keep you guessing along the way. Well done. We both really enjoyed it. Recommended.
I really want to see it. Wife took the kids to see frozen 2 and gave me a pass, so I had to decide between this, the Irishman or Ford vs Ferrari.....opted for Irishman, which was pretty shortsighted since it was coming out on Netflix a few days later lol, but was so pumped for it I had to see it on the big screen. Was worth it. Vintage Scorsese and seeing all those great actors together was epic .

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I really want to see it. Wife took the kids to see frozen 2 and gave me a pass, so I had to decide between this, the Irishman or Ford vs Ferrari.....opted for Irishman, which was pretty shortsighted since it was coming out on Netflix a few days later lol, but was so pumped for it I had to see it on the big screen. Was worth it. Vintage Scorsese and seeing all those great actors together was epic .
Both Ford vs Ferrari and Knives Out are recommended. Go see them if you can. The first is a better "movie", the second is also good and pretty entertaining. Everyone who went to see these with me really enjoyed both.

Been looking forward to this one. I’ll probably try to catch it this week.

Knives Out was absolutely marvelous. Rian Johnson managed to elegantly craft an Agatha Christie-styled murder mystery while turning the genre on its head in the same breath. He is a master of quiet subversion. Hollywood needs to look to films like Knives Out and directors like Johnson as a justification for returning to mid-budget filmmaking. Studios invest far too many of their resources and far too much of their effort into a handful of expensive major tentpole productions every year, and it's become so rare to find pleasures like Knives Out in the theater.

My niece was watching the new Charlies Angels so I took a min to hang out with her and watch a movie. BIG MISTAKE lol I think it was honestly the worst movie I have evAr seen.

Finally watched Spiderman Into the Spiderverse really liked it although the final battle scene didn't quite work for me, but otherwise loved the overall animation style.

Then the other night I watched Metalstorm the Destruction of Jared Synn in 3D and well it was just as horrible as I left it in the 80s. Honestly the reason I watched it was because back then I remember it being short and being really ticked off about the overall run time, and well it was late on a school night, so the short run time was a plus. Still this Mad Max wannabe was just awful and the 3D sucked. Also the appeal of Bull from Night Court is in it hasn't aged well over 35 years. Still the main drawing point though. God damn this is bad. Don't ever watch it.

My niece was watching the new Charlies Angels so I took a min to hang out with her and watch a movie. BIG MISTAKE lol I think it was honestly the worst movie I have evAr seen.
Yeah, I have Regal unlimited so I generally see pretty much everything that hits the theater, with a few exceptions.....this was one of them. I knew it would be 2 hours of my life I’d regret wasting. :p

With the new 65” smart tv in place plus sound bar......never had a sound bar until now.......been perusing Netflix. Watched 6 Underground and enjoyed the film keeping it in perspective that it’s a Micheal Bay film starring Ryan Reynolds. Lots of action, lots of blowing stuff up, epic car chase in the beginning and Ryan Reynolds is basically in Deadpool form. I enjoyed it.

Ad Astra....wow what a colossal disappointment. Started out with some promise, but tailed off quickly for me after. Cinematography (even that wasn’t as great as I was expecting) and Pitt could not save it for me. 2 stars

I picked up Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last week but finally watched it last night. Had watched The Hateful Eight earlier in the week. I had not seen either. I really enjoyed both, and Hollywood
did not end at all how I was expecting, so I was really delighted by the finish

I picked up Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last week but finally watched it last night. Had watched The Hateful Eight earlier in the week. I had not seen either. I really enjoyed both, and Hollywood
did not end at all how I was expecting, so I was really delighted by the finish
I loved it. Acting was top notch, per usual with QT movies.
Need to watch the hateful eight again, I really enjoyed it

I don't have a twitter account, so I'll reply to this here: my two-part answer is Forces of Nature and Arlington Road. Those movies both came out in the same year and, between the two of them, they are basically the reason why I stopped watching movies, except for kung fu flicks and superhero movies.
I own a copy but I'm going to say Requiem For a Dream is the easy answer here. Schindler's List gets my honorable mention.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
By the time Requiem For a Dream came out, I had already sworn off all movies in that genre, because of the movie I already mentioned.
I'm not sure which of the two you are referring to, but I haven't seen either. That said, a quick glance at synopses doesn't suggest to me that either is really in the same genre as Requiem For a Dream.

But I gather that you swore off almost all genres, and Requiem is definitely not Kung Fu or Superhero.

I'd never heard of Requiem for a Dream, so I looked it up on IMDB. Good grief. I'd sooner gouge my eyes out with chopsticks than sit through something like that.
That's a remarkably accurate description of what it feels like to sit through that movie. Hard to believe but before Christopher Nolan got involved Warner Brothers was prepping a Batman series reboot with Darren Aronovsky at the helm. I don't know who pulled the plug or why but I can't imagine Aronovsky ever willingly allowing himself to make a crowd-pleasing movie so it was probably the right decision.

I don't have a twitter account, so I'll reply to this here: my two-part answer is Forces of Nature and Arlington Road. Those movies both came out in the same year and, between the two of them, they are basically the reason why I stopped watching movies, except for kung fu flicks and superhero movies.
For me, it's Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York. This film split me in two when I saw it after its release in 2008. It was one of those rare experiences with art that transformed something inside me. I was not the same person after seeing this film. It is beautiful. Strange. Morose. Alien. Staggering. Oppressive. There are images from that film that still haunt me, so much so that I have not been able to return to it since. It's a powerful meditation on loneliness, featuring one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's most affecting performances. I would love to revisit Synecdoche, New York, but I do not know if I can.

Just saw Greta Gerwig's Little Women over the weekend. What a terrifically inventive adaptation! Gerwig's got some serious talent behind the camera and the cast was phenomenal top-to-bottom.