Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

Definitely shocked by the rhetoric. Buddy never really showed signs of being a grumbler. Especially given some circumstances in the Joerger era where Buddy didn’t appear to be getting a fair shake. Atleast in my view. He always kept professional.

That said, I can see why Buddy would expect more. He came into this league when guys like Otto Porter or Harrison Barnes for that matter were getting max second contracts for not comparable production to what Buddy had last season. More on promise. However, those contracts came on the open market in an era of reckless spending that is coming to a close. Teams are coming back down to earth. The stars are demanding more of a share of the extended cap, borderline all stars aren’t getting the max anymore, and the new mid level has been established. 4/90 makes sense...If Buddy thinks he worth more, he can always wait. He can prove he’s worth it this season and they’ll have no choice. As of now, the Kings are operating on the belief that De’Aaron Fox is the player that will demand the max and that other foundational players may command big salaries a couple of years down the road. I don’t think the Kings have any ambition to bring in a huge free agent.

Buddy did himself no favors, especially how he rubbed in the fact that Sacramento isn’t a favorable destination for free agents. We know that. We don’t like being reminded by players for purpose of leverage. Like a market like Sacramento should be especially grateful to have Buddy under club control.

Comments don't look good, but I find it funny how quick some here are to discount him. He is the best player on the team right now, and should rightly be paid. Like I said, if this were Cousins there'd be all sorts of talk about how loyalty is important, doesn't matter if he hasn't led us to the playoffs. Buddy has been a superb team mate, hardest worker on the team, solid professional.

Yeah he wants to get paid now and made some public comments that mirror what most of us probably feel when our bosses don't give us a raise we feel we deserve, which he should not have made in public. The comments around here reveal precisely how he might feel that he's not treated as a core player.

But hey, what's another few years not in the playoffs right? Just keep sticking it out and getting rid of our best players when they want money and keep praying for the next saviour in the draft. From what I hear around here, Bagley is already a top 5 big man in the league anyway.

I like Buddy and I sure hope he doesn’t wear out his welcome here in Sacramento.

Buddy will be a restricted free agent next summer, not unrestricted. That’s a huge difference. The Kings own all the leverage here.

Whether he likes it or not, the Kings own his rights and can match any offer next summer that Buddy may get. Not many teams will be willing to tie up a huge salary cap slot with a big offer next summer, when the Kings will likely just match.

Just like Zach Lavine and Otto Porter, a player can pout all they want, but the team holds all the cards. Any player of high worth, the team will likely match any offers, including a max contract.

Unless he plans on playing on a qualifying offer next year, he better not burn too many bridges before he crosses them.

Cousins was a disruptive force but from what I saw he was really liked in Sacramento and was loyal for many years.
He was a multi year all-star and has a gold medal. The final year before he was hurt was only like making 18mil or so.
Yes unfortunately for him he got hurt before he received his big payday.

Buddy would of been Bogi’s backup last year if not for Bogi’s injuries. He wants 27 million plus for what? Having led us to the playoffs or his all star game experience. Don’t remember any of that.

Yeah maybe we have to overpay for free agents but when some of the good ones came on board by trade (tisdale, Richmond, Webber, Bibby) and others showed their loyalty a lot longer than a season and half of being here.

Let him wait when we can match his contract. If he is offered 30 million a year and we match the offer it will be his turn to show his loyalty. I want to see like 25ppg+ this season and then we can see where we’re at.

Well this is his chance to prove something. Get us in CLEAR playoff contention (even more so than last season) and we can talk. Otherwise, good riddance.

I’ve had enough of this team feeling as if they have to kiss someone’s butt just to keep the peace when we aren’t even making the damn playoffs.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Comments don't look good, but I find it funny how quick some here are to discount him. He is the best player on the team right now, and should rightly be paid. Like I said, if this were Cousins there'd be all sorts of talk about how loyalty is important, doesn't matter if he hasn't led us to the playoffs. Buddy has been a superb team mate, hardest worker on the team, solid professional.

Yeah he wants to get paid now and made some public comments that mirror what most of us probably feel when our bosses don't give us a raise we feel we deserve, which he should not have made in public. The comments around here reveal precisely how he might feel that he's not treated as a core player.

But hey, what's another few years not in the playoffs right? Just keep sticking it out and getting rid of our best players when they want money and keep praying for the next saviour in the draft. From what I hear around here, Bagley is already a top 5 big man in the league anyway.

Woah now. “If this were Cousins” argument is silly because there’s a massive huge gigantic enormous monumental talent gap between Buddy and DeMarcus. Wins or losses, Healthy Young DMC was absolutely a max player.

Buddy is an elite 3pt shooter and good teammate. That’s it! He tries on defense, he still sometimes dribbles like the ball is square, his bball IQ isn’t the best. He is not our best player currently. Top 3? Yes. Not the best. Definitely not a max player. No way.

Woah now. “If this were Cousins” argument is silly because there’s a massive huge gigantic enormous monumental talent gap between Buddy and DeMarcus. Wins or losses, Healthy Young DMC was absolutely a max player.

Buddy is an elite 3pt shooter and good teammate. That’s it! He tries on defense, he still sometimes dribbles like the ball is square, his bball IQ isn’t the best. He is not our best player currently. Top 3? Yes. Not the best. Definitely not a max player. No way.
At worst he's top 2 now. Not saying in 2 years, but now only Fox is possibly better. Yes, and we're not talking about giving Buddy the max are we?

Saying Buddy is just a elite 3 point shooter ignoring his improvement in creating and scoring off the dribble is like saying Fox is just fast, or that Bagley is just quick off his feet.

Last edited:
I'm very surprised by people's reactions. He said some honest things in public that should be kept behind closed doors, but they aren't sentiments I can blame him for having. Personally I'd be happy paying him above 25 million per year. I know some people are worried he may regress, but putting the ball in the basket is what he does. It's who he is and who he will be throughout his prime. Buddy and Fox are going to be a top five backcourt for years to come. We have something special with the pair. Maybe it's hard for Kings fans to feel confident about what we have, but Buddy is a straight up stud.

Err....Bogi?

If he can bounce back from his iffy play last season (and its starting to look like that was a health thing), he can absolutely replace Buddy in the starting lineup. The issue then becomes one of finding a backup SG, which shouldn't be too difficult. There's always a lot of 8-12ppg dudes floating around in FA.

I'm not saying that's the best case scenario, I'd love for us to keep Buddy, but there's no reason to think he has Vlade held hostage or anything. 110 million is a lot for a 3rd option* who doesn't play defense or play smart.

This is assuming Bogi doesn't also demand the max (seems to be the vogue thing to do in the NBA these days), but I'd hope he'd be more reasonable, being a backup and all.

*future 3rd option anyways, if Fox and Bagley reach their potentials.
If Buddy is replaceable by Bogdan, it would mean that in order for us to not get worse or limit our ceiling, we would then have to replace "backup Bogdan" with a player that is as good as Buddy/Bogdan. Personally I think that would be really hard with our current asset base and cap space.

I'm very surprised by people's reactions. He said some honest things in public that should be kept behind closed doors, but they aren't sentiments I can blame him for having. Personally I'd be happy paying him above 25 million per year. I know some people are worried he may regress, but putting the ball in the basket is what he does. It's who he is and who he will be throughout his prime. Buddy and Fox are going to be a top five backcourt for years to come. We have something special with the pair. Maybe it's hard for Kings fans to feel confident about what we have, but Buddy is a straight up stud.
I agree with all of this.

Pay Buddy. It's not his fault that the Kings' FO overpaid Barnes. I was pretty neutral about the Barnes deal at the time, and I like it's descending structure, but if it costs Buddy or Fox then it will definitely go down as a bad deal. I was hoping that the Kings cap guru had all of this figured out at the time... maybe they weren't expecting Buddy to ask for close to 30AAV

I agree with CD that the Kings will make a deal and all will be flowers and sunshine (or something like that).
But Buddy doing his laundry in public showed me a side to him that I didn't think existed. And I don't like it. All will be forgiven in time (I hope), but it was hurtful to the team, some of the fans, and some of his teammates in an attempt to squeeze a few more million on top of the many millions in the bag. He made one comment about us "building a team around (him)," and that sticks with me. If Buddy was the Buddy I've come to love, he would have never put it in those terms. It would have been about being part of the core that we build around. But that's not likely what his agent told him would get him the most dollars for his family and to help rebuild his Bahamian homeland.

This is Buddy's one big chance to set up his family for generations. He will be in his early 30's for his next contract. So while I understand the backlash from Buddy's (And his Agent's) public tactics..........I get it.

I just hope for Buddy's sake this does not backfire on him as it does sometime.

My hope is that the parties involved make a deal this weekend.

Lets get back to scoring 40 points a quarter!

The team can wait out buddy. My opinion, This China thing is gonna really cut into what teams are paying players. Wait buddy out and pay him more what he’s worth which is not anywhere close to what buddy wants. Dude can put the ball in the basket. That’s about it. And if you body him up he has trouble doing that. Buddy is overvaluing himself. Maybe he was hanging around WCS too much.......

Team has no incentive to pay him now.
If Hield doesn’t want the 90 mil.
Wait...See how Hield and the team performs this season.
Kings Brass control everything.

Hield can take the 90mil or take his chances.

My only concern is whether paying Buddy cuts into our ability to pay/retain Fox and Marvin, and (like many here) I'm really not knowledgeable of how the limits work. If it's just a matter of saving a few mil, pay the man. If it means we cannot offer the max to D'Aaron and Marvin, then use restraint.

On a side note, I keep thinking back to Duncan and Dirk, who each took pay cuts in contract years so that their organizations could retain talent... It won't shock me if Swipa makes the same kind of class move in a few years, but obviously that's not something you count on.

I agree with CD that the Kings will make a deal and all will be flowers and sunshine (or something like that).
But Buddy doing his laundry in public showed me a side to him that I didn't think existed. And I don't like it. All will be forgiven in time (I hope), but it was hurtful to the team, some of the fans, and some of his teammates in an attempt to squeeze a few more million on top of the many millions in the bag. He made one comment about us "building a team around (him)," and that sticks with me. If Buddy was the Buddy I've come to love, he would have never put it in those terms. It would have been about being part of the core that we build around. But that's not likely what his agent told him would get him the most dollars for his family and to help rebuild his Bahamian homeland.
I see that comment reported in the Sac Bee but no actual clip of it. In the clip that is there however, he clearly refers to being part of the core, saying “I love Sacramento, but if they don’t want me here, if they don’t feel like I’m part of the core. … I like respect and loyalty, and I feel like I’m part of the group that’s getting the team back to where it needs to be.”

Last edited:
The team can wait out buddy. My opinion, This China thing is gonna really cut into what teams are paying players. Wait buddy out and pay him more what he’s worth which is not anywhere close to what buddy wants. Dude can put the ball in the basket. That’s about it. And if you body him up he has trouble doing that. Buddy is overvaluing himself. Maybe he was hanging around WCS too much.......
Yeah let's not kid ourselves here with this sudden idea that Buddy is some fragile shooter who can only score if you leave him wide open. He is the most proven scorer on the team. Value that as you wish and talk about his defense and whatnot, but please don't make it sound like he can't score and do so efficiently.

Klay Thompson isn't exactly Demar Derozan in creating his own shot, but he seems to have been doing just fine.

I think this was all his agents doing and he told Buddy to disparage the Kings and Sacramento to show how "mad" and "disrespected" he feels. To show in public that if you don't pay me what I want, I'm going to make the team look bad. This is all posturing and I'm sure his agent made him do it. They are trying to milk a few more millions out of the Kings, before they sign on the dotted line.

Will it work in the end? Possibly, but I think they could had gotten to a compromise without Buddy going out and saying crap about the city.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wow. Over-reaction much?

Know why I said he's not Bobby Jackson? It's really simple. Bobby was a sparkplug. He came in and made magic. He energized the team and the fans every time he stepped onto the court (hence his nickname "Energizer Bunny").

You're acting like they're offering him some paltry fee. They're not. They're in the $100 million range. If that cannot set his family up for life, I don't know what to say.

Slander? Frankly disappointing? Pathetic? Nope. It's Kings fans expressing their feelings over a player who is deciding to negotiate his contract in public. You know why they do that? To garner sympathy and try and force the issue. In this case, a lot of fans here on KF and elsewhere aren't buying into the scenario.
Indeed. Bobby Jackson played good defense. IMO, there's too much talk about Buddy's importance because he's the 3rd option and because supposedly he's not as good as Barnes. Third option doesn't even mean he's the 3rd best player; it means he's the 3rd best option on offense. As Christie said yesterday, Harrison Barnes is not a lesser player than Hield. Barnes plays defense against 2s and 3s. Barnes is high IQ player down the stretch. The same cannot be said of Buddy. Barnes may not be the shooter that Buddy is, but he more than makes up for it in other less sexy areas and he plays the small forward position that arguably is the hardest to fill in the NBA. Also, as others have said, Buddy has had ONE good year. He had that ONE good year when he was playing on a team that plays very fast and gets him open shots. His shooting stats were therefore enhanced by the talent. of the Kings surrounding him (i.e. Fox) and of the style of that offense that many teams in the NBA cannot or will not play. As Christie and Grant (and I) said, Buddy is not a better player than Brogdan, who got a $21 mill/year contract. The Kings offer is already an overpay. If anything, they should inform him that if he's a restricted FA next year he may get a lesser offer from other teams because the overall NBA salary pie could be reduced by one-tenth because of the withdrawal of China. Buddy should count his blessings and take the Kings' offer.

Here's how I see this situation:

Someone is gonna offer 110+ to Buddy in RFA. We should have offered around 100-106 but that probably put us in the luxury tax down the line. Now we might actually have to pay more than what we could have a week ago to keep him.
The issue here is Vivek doesn't want to go into the luxury tax, which means overpaying Barnes was a huge mistake.
Vivek needs to pony up and take that massive hit if he truly wants to win here in Sacramento.

We didn't offer Buddy what he deserves. Are you kidding me? After all these years, we finally get a great core, and our first real offer is borderline insulting? This is why the league thinks Sac is a joke. 90 million is KANGZ.
Give him the extension by Monday and go into the luxury tax to keep this team together. V&V already screwed up with Barnes. This is the only way I see it working. Losing either Buddy or Bogdan is not acceptable.

we could do without caleb swanigan to make up for that extra 4-5 mil a year
Caleb Swanigan really has nothing to do with Buddy's contract situation. Caleb's salary is guaranteed this season, so whether we cut him or not, his salary is on our cap.

I believe that Caleb and his contract will be gone in short order after the trade deadline this year, if he is not used as a salary cap trade filler.