Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

Ok he is a great long range shooter as it is proven. This year with better talent around him and without him getting to the line more I really can see his PPG going down. Yes he had a pretty darn good year but not only because he has a nice outside shot but was pretty much the main guy taking his shots.

If he wants more than $25 million a year especially the direction his attitude is going then I say trade him. If he wants to make threats then reduce his minutes as with Bogi at least when healthy can dribble, pass and is a great PnR option.

I truly hate it when our hopes are up for this season to be talking about a player who’s being negative.

Buddy is not $50M better than Bogdan.

That said, split the difference at $101M and call it a day. If Buddy won't budge, trade him for young returning assets. Gary Harris + MPJ from Denver or Jaylen Brown + a future first from the Celts.
Brown reportedly turned down $80 mil so you're sort of in the same situation with him that we are with Hield.

However, I do really like the other idea...

Gary Harris
Michael Porter Jr

for

Buddy Hield
Trevor Ariza

I included Ariza to make salaries work (but would have to be done in December since we just signed him), but Ariza might be attractive to them as they tend to have a lot of 6'6"/6'7" guys so Ariza gives them a longer SF that they can throw at guys like Leonard, George, LeBron, etc.

On the flip side, Fox & Harris would be a very good defensive backcourt and you'd have Barnes who is no slouch on the perimeter either.

Harris had a down year shooting last year but the previous 2 seasons he shot 42% (4.5 3PA) & 39.6% (5.9 3PA) from three so you'd still have very good floor spacing from Harris & Bogdanovic at SG. Porter would be a very interesting guy as well with his combination of size, shooting, and scoring ability.

Harris is also 1.5 years younger than Hield so he's a little more on Fox & Bagley's timeline. The other stopping point is Harris' injury history. He's only played in 76% of his games whereas Hield has played in 99% of his games. Perhaps having Bogdanovic also on the roster allows us to be okay with that tradeoff, but it's something to consider.

At the end of the day, it'd save the Kings some money considering Harris makes ~$19 mil/year and Hield is asking ~$27.5 mil/year. If the Kings are really not wanting to pay Hield, this could be a great alternative.

Last edited:
Yes, 5-year contracts for free agents with full Bird rights do not have a minimum salary outside of the league minimum. (I mean, I don't see anybody ever signing a 5-year league minimum contract, but you COULD.)
Interesting. I thought for some reason that the Kings could only offer Buddy 5 years with a designated player extension (which, presumably, they want to save for Fox and Bagley, since you can only have 2 at a time). That only applies to a rookie extension that the Kings offer now, I take it, and not to a new contract that they could offer next summer?

Brown reportedly turned down $80 mil so you're sort of in the same situation with him that we are with Hield.

Gary Harris
Michael Porter Jr

for

Buddy Hield
Trevor Ariza

I included Ariza to make salaries work, but Ariza might be attractive to them as they tend to have a lot of 6'6"/6'7" guys so Ariza gives them a longer SF that they can throw at guys like Leonard, George, LeBron, etc.

On the flip side, Fox & Harris would be a very good defensive backcourt and you'd have Barnes who is no slouch on the perimeter either.

Harris had a down year shooting last year but the previous 2 seasons he shot 42% (4.5 3PA) & 39.6% (5.9 3PA) from three so you'd still have very good floor spacing from Harris & Bogdanovic at SG. Porter would be a very interesting guy as well with his combination of size, shooting, and scoring ability.

Harris is also 1.5 years younger than Hield so he's a little more on Fox & Bagley's timeline. The other stopping point is Harris' injury history. He's only played in 76% of his games whereas Hield has played in 99% of his games. Perhaps having Bogdanovic also on the roster allows us to be okay with that tradeoff, but it's something to consider.

At the end of the day, it'd save the Kings some money considering Harris makes ~$19 mil/year and Hield is asking ~$27.5 mil/year. If the Kings are really not wanting to pay Hield, this could be a great alternative.
Ive always been very intrigued with Porter Jr.
Id do this deal.

Assuming this allows us to retain Bogdanovic this would be perfect.

Another solid starting level SG and Bogdonavic is superior imo to
Buddy and a bench level backup sg

Vlade should have started with 4/100 and got the deal done already. 4/90 is less than market value and a low-ball offer (in today’s nba). Now the kings have created drama just before the season kicks off. Not smart, Vlade.

Gary Harris
Michael Porter Jr

for

Buddy Hield
Trevor Ariza

I included Ariza to make salaries work (but would have to be done in December since we just signed him), but Ariza might be attractive to them as they tend to have a lot of 6'6"/6'7" guys so Ariza gives them a longer SF that they can throw at guys like Leonard, George, LeBron, etc.

According to people in the Nuggets organization MJP has been great. MJP would have been in contention to be the #1 pick if it wasn't for his injury. I can't imagine the Nuggets would want to move on from him now, Denver is expecting a big season out of him. Harris is younger, a better defender and makes 18, 19 and 20 million over the next 3 seasons. Buddy wants 25+ million a season and is already older. To give you an idea how others view Harris Bleacher Report (yes I know they arent the end all be all its just a recent example I saw) ranks Harris as the 11th best SG and Buddy as the 10th. The gap between the two isn't significant. This trade isn't realistic

Last edited:
Per SacBee article:

Hield, 26, isn’t demanding a max contract extension, but he told The Bee $100 million over four years would not be enough. League sources told Yahoo! Sports Hield and his agent, Brandon Rosenthal, are seeking a deal closer to $110 million. Hield said he was not confident the two sides could come to terms before the deadline and indicated for the first time he might seek a way out of Sacramento if that doesn’t happen.

Really Buddy? 100m not enough? You gonna look elsewhere? Demand a trade? WTF? You are not AD

You gonna raise your value off the Bench? Promote Bogi to Starter, Match both Bogi and Buddy in RFA, then trade one of them who doesnt want to be here. Maybe we can be the next Pelicans , tank this year, get #1 Draft Pick, Trade Buddy for 3 Young promising players and draft Picks, Oh Yeah that wont work Buddy is not AD

I am so sick of players demanding what they want, If you really love sacramento and our Team - Prove it

Negotiate in private, come up with a number, shut up to the press, and be part of the solution and stop trying to threaten your Team

According to people in the Nuggets organization MJP has been great. MJP would have been in contention to be the #1 pick if it wasn't for his injury. I can't imagine the Nuggets would want to move on from him now, Denver is expecting a big season out of him. Harris is younger, a better defender and makes 18, 19 and 20 million over the next 3 seasons. Buddy wants 25+ million a season and is already older. To give you an idea how others view Harris Bleacher Report (yes I know they arent the end all be all its just a recent example I saw) ranks Harris as the 11th best SG and Buddy as the 10th. The gap between the two isn't significant. This trade isn't realistic
Well if Harris is the #11 and makes 19mil, then id say buddy at 22 to 23 per year at #10 is pretty fair then

According to people in the Nuggets organization MJP has been great. MJP would have been in contention to be the #1 pick if it wasn't for his injury. I can't imagine the Nuggets would want to move on from him now, Denver is expecting a big season out of him. Harris is younger, a better defender and makes 18, 19 and 20 million over the next 3 seasons. Buddy wants 25+ million a season and is already older. To give you an idea how others view Harris Bleacher Report (yes I know they arent the end all be all its just a recent example I saw) ranks Harris as the 11th best SG and Buddy as the 10th. This trade isn't realistic
You failed to mention Harris' injury history, the fact that his shooting regressed (after getting paid), and that he is undersized as a SG (his standing reach is only 8'0" which is even small for a PG). You need to take that into consideration.

Porter Jr. is the ultimate high risk/high reward prospect. Similar to how we view Giles, but 12 other teams don't pass on a potential #1 guy if his medicals aren't alarming. I can wrap my head around DEN not wanting to part with him because it's one of those trade that could look really bad if he stays healthy and develops, but by no means do I think a Harris + incentive for Hield is an unrealistic trade.

This is terrible. This team wants to make the playoffs for the first time in a zillion years and Buddy does his contract negotiations in public??? Way to kill the mood, Buddy. I can really see that you're a team guy.:rolleyes:
This was part of his statement: "I love playing here. I want to be here. This is my home. I’m trying to buy a house here, but everything is on stall mode because I don’t know if they’ll really (ready to) commit to me.”

He wants to be here, he's just mad the Kings low balled him. He was a 20ppg scorer last year and shot 43% from 3, the 7th best mark in the league last year and they offered him Danilo Gallinari money. A deal will get done and Hield will be here long term. We absolutely need an elite shooter next to Fox and Hield is as elite as they come. This will all be forgotten soon.

You failed to mention Harris' injury history, the fact that his shooting regressed (after getting paid), and that he is undersized as a SG (his standing reach is only 8'0" which is even small for a PG). You need to take that into consideration.

Porter Jr. is the ultimate high risk/high reward prospect. Similar to how we view Giles, but 12 other teams don't pass on a potential #1 guy if his medicals aren't alarming. I can wrap my head around DEN not wanting to part with him because it's one of those trade that could look really bad if he stays healthy and develops, but by no means do I think a Harris + incentive for Hield is an unrealistic trade.
Fair enough I just think MJP is a HUGE incentive not just a throw in guy. IMO I'm not sure Denver would trade Harris straight up for Hield. I agree Hield is a better player just not sure he that much better that Denver would want to shake up there team

He hasn't even been good enough to get his team to the playoffs and he thinks he's a superstar.
Well if Cousins had done this, let's just say there'd be a whole lot more on here defending how loyalty is important etc.

This is a real problem though - depth is great, but if you look at it closely in the language and communication the team views Bagley and Fox as its (future) superstars. Not sure if that will prove to be correct. Buddy is right for not wanting to feel insulted, though airing it in public is somewhat distasteful. Then again, in this day and age even if he had done it "in private" it would probably make its way to the public.

I think folks here are underestimating how much Buddy brings to the table and overestimating the same for Fox and Bagley. Not to say that they won't improve, but as of right now, Buddy is much more proven than either of the other two.

Smh Buddy, after the 2+ seasons it took me to actually accept you, you burn it all down in a matter of days.

Trade him if he doesn’t budge. Don’t give him away. But do not give into his cost. Not worth it. Elite shooter and little else.
Again, you are putting a lot of hope in basically Fox and Bagley if this is the case. We're not getting any high draft picks anymore.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Again, you are putting a lot of hope in basically Fox and Bagley if this is the case. We're not getting any high draft picks anymore.
It’s not like Hield is walking away for free in my scenario. There’s value there with him, and I doubt Vlade’s horrible enough to get Isaiah Thomas to the Suns value in a potential S&T.

Also he’s restricted. If worse comes to worse, you match what some other team potentially throws at him.

Fair enough I just think MJP is a HUGE incentive not just a throw in guy. IMO I'm not sure Denver would trade Harris straight up for Hield. I agree Hield is a better player just not sure he that much better that Denver would want to shake up there team
I get that. The offense goes through Jokic though, and he's great at finding his guys for easy shots. Jokic to Hield would be a great combination, but I'll give that a Murray/Hield/Jokic core could have some issues defensively.

The other player I would target if we don't want to pay Hield is Josh Richardson. The defense of Simmons, Horford, & Embiid, would allow them to take the downgrade on defense from Richardson to Hield, but with Simmons & Embiid who both like to operate in the paint/penetrate, Hield's shooting should be coveted even more by them.

Rather than having two offensively focused SGs (Hield/Bogdanovic), you have a better balanced SG rotation between Richardson/Bogdanovic. Richardson is a 37% shooter from 3 for his career so he's still very respectable from deep, and he's an underrated passer. He had a 2.6 AST:TO ratio last year. Lastly, his contract at ~$10.5 mil/year is a bargain.

The only issue would be Philly's payroll in the 2020-21 season.

lowballing him probably hurt the negotiations and the Kings are paying the price I feel. Probably should've just offered him 100 mill and settled at 103. But now probably gonna need to offer and settle on 105 because you pissed him off.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If Vlade makes a deal, I doubt it's in the WC, especially to Denver. He'll send Buddy back east.
This was part of his statement: "I love playing here. I want to be here. This is my home. I’m trying to buy a house here, but everything is on stall mode because I don’t know if they’ll really (ready to) commit to me.”

He wants to be here, he's just mad the Kings low balled him. He was a 20ppg scorer last year and shot 43% from 3, the 7th best mark in the league last year and they offered him Danilo Gallinari money. A deal will get done and Hield will be here long term. We absolutely need an elite shooter next to Fox and Hield is as elite as they come. This will all be forgotten soon.
He should shut the hell up! And it's not a low ball. Just shut the hell up and play the game and be focused on getting to the playoffs, something he's never done. Have his agent talk to the Kings without talking to the media. All of this crap is sabotage to the Kings' team being ultra-focused at the beginning of the season to make a playoff push. Everybody is all excited about the season and Hield pours sewage all over it.

By the way. We didn't hear this kind of crap from the Barnes camp when they were negotiating with the Kings. WHY? Because Barnes is a class act, that's why.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well if Cousins had done this, let's just say there'd be a whole lot more on here defending how loyalty is important etc.

This is a real problem though - depth is great, but if you look at it closely in the language and communication the team views Bagley and Fox as its (future) superstars. Not sure if that will prove to be correct. Buddy is right for not wanting to feel insulted, though airing it in public is somewhat distasteful. Then again, in this day and age even if he had done it "in private" it would probably make its way to the public.

I think folks here are underestimating how much Buddy brings to the table and overestimating the same for Fox and Bagley. Not to say that they won't improve, but as of right now, Buddy is much more proven than either of the other two.
I'm not underestimating Buddy's importance to the team. I am underscoring how classless it is to have this negotiation in public just before this very important season is to start. Buddy and his agent know exactly what they are doing - they are extorting the Kings in public on the most important season the Kings have had in a decade.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Interesting. I thought for some reason that the Kings could only offer Buddy 5 years with a designated player extension (which, presumably, they want to save for Fox and Bagley, since you can only have 2 at a time). That only applies to a rookie extension that the Kings offer now, I take it, and not to a new contract that they could offer next summer?
Yes, that's correct. Because he's our own free agent we can give him five years in free agency, and he would only need to be a "designated" player if we wanted to give him over 25% of the salary cap.

What team that legitimately is aiming for a a championship would handcuff themselves by outbidding the kings to get Hield? Id assume kings would match up to the 110 mark. So another team would have to offer buddy about 120 or 30mil a year.
Your team is going nowhere with Buddy as your 2nd star at 30mill a year.

Sorry but Buddy can be shut down if blanketed by a decent defensive wing if they stick to him. Buddy had such a good year last year because the Kings were not an upper echelon team so there was less game planning for him. In the playoffs, Buddy's lack of ability to create off the dribble will stick out like a sore thumb. In the playoffs, i'd wager Bogdanovic is the superior guard.
Buddy is an elite role player, not a star

Buddy should go talk to WCS to see how testing RFA could turn out