Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings are going to have to fold eventually. We invested our franchise into two guys who's offensive game revolves around getting to the rim/free throw line. Buddy is an elite class scorer/shooter that's 100% needed if we want to maximize our returns on Fox and Bagley as the franchise cornerstone pieces.

Kings should have known $100+mil was coming for Buddy. If they can't afford it, why the hell did we spend the $90 mil on Barnes then? Wasn't a fan of that contract and it's going to be an even bigger disaster if it means we lose one of Buddy or Bogdan.
1. What makes you think the Kings didn't know?

2. What makes you think they can't afford it?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Only way I'm giving him 100/4 is if they trade Barnes right away (who should have never got close to 90/4) otherwise I would trade Buddy (prefer to move Barnes) since hes trade-able and lots of teams could use a good shooter.
I absolutely cannot understand this kind of thinking. We're BUILDING a team that will compete past mid-April and you're already talking about trading one of the main pieces away? Yeah, a lot of teams could use a good shooter and the Kings are one of them!

1. What makes you think the Kings didn't know?

2. What makes you think they can't afford it?
It's an educated guess if this extension doesn't get done before the season.

Buddy's market was always going to be $100mil+. If the Kings only planned on offering him $90 and not budging, then it's a bad evaluation of the market. He's very likely not going to get cheaper if he hits RFA. So it comes back to my hypothesis that it's a money problem.

Report that Siakam looking for a Max extension ala Murry and Ben Simmons

WTH are teams doing max extensions for players that will be RESTRICTED??? Seems idiotic to me. The only incentive for the team to do a deal a year early is to take on the injury risk in exchange for a friendly deal. Makes zero sense or they anticipate a skyrocketing cap

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So in another 2 seasons are we going to have like 4 guys making around 25 million or so a year? I hope everyone is planning on all those deep playoff runs with this team as its structured.

I really like the depth we have but I can see that disappearing when we are over the cap.

All of the above comments can be fixed by winning and I hope that’s the case.
Well, the fact is that if you want to have a contender, it's going to cost you. It's not really about spending that amount of money. It's about getting the results you want for that amount of money. As someone said, Vlade has put his eggs in this basket, so he has to play it out and see. Win a championship, or even come close, and then the money is probably worth it. On the other hand, you don't want to become the Washington Wizards.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think it will become either buddy or bogdan. Buddy wants 26 mil a year bogs will want around 18 then you got fox and Bagley coming. Gonna be a head scratcher the bench will be what suffers 2-3 years from now.

I think it will become either buddy or bogdan. Buddy wants 26 mil a year bogs will want around 18 then you got fox and Bagley coming. Gonna be a head scratcher the bench will be what suffers 2-3 years from now.
They are going to have to do an asset assessment with these 2. Buddy will likely fetch more in a trade but can Bogie replicate Buddy’s production? If they trade Bogie, can they get a return enough to justify the massive hole they’ll have in their bench unit and the loss of their 2nd best shooter? Team building is tough lol.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Fast forward 4 years and you could be looking at 140 mil a year for the top 6. We may have to hope for a true diamond in the rough at sf by then. Same with center

Hield is NOT a #1 option. A Buddy open 3 might be the offensive #1 option, but it starts with Fox. Buddy is below average at creating for a starting SG. He is fantastic off the catch and 1 or 2 dribbles. After that its cringe time

Brogdan is a pretty good comparison imo.
Id rather have Brogdan and Bogs over an overpaid Buddy if im vlade
A coach runs the offense for the best shooter. The goal is getting your best shooter the best possible shot through screens, misdirection, or otherwise. Fox is not there yet with his outside shot; he made strides last year. He may be used for his pick and roll and attacking which is fine, but that may not be #1. Yes a Hield open 3 is the best option, AND a Buddy OPEN ANY shot is the best option. You want your shooter shooting. He is the most consistent shooter from last season - and I'll take the "below average" dribbling anytime. 100 times better than vice versa. Bogdanovich has some bridges to mend from last season for me play-wise. Going into last season I might've thought him the best player, but last season was a poor regression in play and case in how not to force shots and ball hog. Your last statement is a little open-ended. Having an overpaid player vs 2 bargain players is a handicapped statement. It would depend on the overpayment. I do think Hield is worth an overpaid salary more than other players. Shooting is a premium skill.

Kings are going to have to fold eventually. We invested our franchise into two guys who's offensive game revolves around getting to the rim/free throw line. Buddy is an elite class scorer/shooter that's 100% needed if we want to maximize our returns on Fox and Bagley as the franchise cornerstone pieces.

Kings should have known $100+mil was coming for Buddy. If they can't afford it, why the hell did we spend the $90 mil on Barnes then? Wasn't a fan of that contract and it's going to be an even bigger disaster if it means we lose one of Buddy or Bogdan.
I agree, I didn't think Barnes was a good signing - they overpaid for him moderately to significantly. The mistake has been made. But had the Kings clawed back some amount of that, would it have affected Hield's outlook? I don't know.

Well, the fact is that if you want to have a contender, it's going to cost you. It's not really about spending that amount of money. It's about getting the results you want for that amount of money. As someone said, Vlade has put his eggs in this basket, so he has to play it out and see. Win a championship, or even come close, and then the money is probably worth it. On the other hand, you don't want to become the Washington Wizards.
Yes this is the conundrum of extensions especially if a team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time. What happens with championships? Players become willing to restructure their contracts to win. The Kings had nice uptick last season, and expectations are pretty high now. I'm guessing the front office waits to see how this season unfolds. They made Hield a reasonable offer it seems.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Buddy's market was always going to be $100mil+. If the Kings only planned on offering him $90 and not budging, then it's a bad evaluation of the market. He's very likely not going to get cheaper if he hits RFA. So it comes back to my hypothesis that it's a money problem.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it appears you're assuming facts not in evidence to try and support your hypothesis.

If Jamal Murray got 5/170, what do you think Hield's agent is whispering in his ear?

Teams like the Hawks, Pels, Blazers, and Heat will all have the money to pay Buddy crazy money.

gunks

Hall of Famer
It is starting to look like we're only going to keep Buddy or Bogi, not both.

I just hope Vlade can work some sign and trade magic with whoever we don't keep (I think they're both RFAs after this season? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I had a feeling this would happen when Vlade overpaid for Barnes' services, although if you told me last year that we could only keep 2 out of the 3 of Barnes, Buddy, and Bogi, I would want to hang on to Barnes and Buddy, so it isn't a disaster (yet).

Buckets is my guy, but he aint worth 110. I hope the two sides can find a middle ground.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the way I see it is that if the Kings just last summer were willing to offer Otto Porter 104 million....there is no reason to believe that they eventually will find common ground somewhere along the lines of a 100-105 million dollar team and call it a success. By the Kings forking over this much to Buddy, this basically cements the departure of Bogdanovic in my opinion because the Kings need to pay Fox and Bagley in due time.

Teams rarely open up with their best offer when negotiating (unless it's a superstar). My guess is that they will meet in the middle unless Hield's camp won't budge.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is starting to look like we're only going to keep Buddy or Bogi, not both.

I just hope Vlade can work some sign and trade magic with whoever we don't keep (I think they're both RFAs after this season? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I had a feeling this would happen when Vlade overpaid for Barnes' services, although if you told me last year that we could only keep 2 out of the 3 of Barnes, Buddy, and Bogi, I would want to hang on to Barnes and Buddy, so it isn't a disaster (yet).

Buckets is my guy, but he aint worth 110. I hope the two sides can find a middle ground.
That little dark cloud show up already? The season hasn't even started yet. ;)

gunks

Hall of Famer
That little dark cloud show up already? The season hasn't even started yet. ;)
Nah, being a realist! Fox, Bags, Buddy, Bogi, Barnes.... I always knew there was no way we could keep ALL of those guys.

Keeping 4 of those 5 long term is a win and still a damn good core. If we do keep all 5 that's a bonus.

As others have mentioned, we may have a thin bench in a few seasons due to most of the cap going towards our main guys, but we can cross that bridge when we get there....

.... hell, maybe this Kings team will be a contender by then, and we can fill out the roster with ring chasers on discount deals! How's THAT for a little dark cloud?! ;)

gunks

Hall of Famer
They offered them both extensions, so where are you getting this from?
Both guys rejected the offers. They wanna get paid, and Vlade needs to save the cap for Fox and Bagley. Those dudes will (if they reach their potential) command the max.

Just conjecture on my part of course, maybe everyone can meet halfway on their respective deals. Hopefully.

Not a fan of what buddy had to say. At all. Sacramento is a “low” market? And he wants to know a big name free agent that came here?

90 million is nothing to sneeze at. He has had one very good season. He is an RFA next year. The team is in the driver seat here. They can match next season. By signing now he takes risk away from himself.