Revisiting the Kings' 2017 Draft (split)

At least Ariza's surgery is basically cosmetic. They're probably only holding him out because he has some stitches. Harry remains a bit concerning, but it's not like we can do anything about it.
Yeah not worried about Ariza. Harry is a different story. Would be sad to have blown the 10th pick in that draft.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Results of that 10th pick was Harry and Harrison. I’m good
And it wasn't a great draft either. Sure, there was plenty of interest in just snagging Mitchell and calling it a day but there is no way he and Fox fit together and as a backup Mitchell never breaks out. Even though up to this point he's looked a bit more volume than you want your star to be.

And it wasn't a great draft either. Sure, there was plenty of interest in just snagging Mitchell and calling it a day but there is no way he and Fox fit together and as a backup Mitchell never breaks out. Even though up to this point he's looked a bit more volume than you want your star to be.
I would say players like both Collins, Adebayo, Allen, Anunoby are all good players.

I would say players like both Collins, Adebayo, Allen, Anunoby are all good players.
Hindsight is 20/20 of course. And after drafting Fox at 5 it's a smart proposition to swing for the fences at 10. At the time the Kings had an issue filling in at SF especially and backup C/PF. Turning that pick into Barnes and Giles is the ultimate high risk/high ceiling move. I dont see the argument.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
For sure. I'm sure there are some firey posts from me that night about not taking Anunoby, haha. Still, there wasn't much of a consensus, you can look back and cherry pick any draft but I don't think the Kings lost out on any superstars which is the risk when you trade back. They ended up with Barnes so I think in the end it worked out.

For sure. I'm sure there are some firey posts from me that night about not taking Anunoby, haha. Still, there wasn't much of a consensus, you can look back and cherry pick any draft but I don't think the Kings lost out on any superstars which is the risk when you trade back. They ended up with Barnes so I think in the end it worked out.
But the point is that you could have had Anunoby starting at SF instead of Barnes (while making $21 mil less than Barnes and while only being 6 months older than Fox). I was yelling at my TV when we took Jackson over Anunoby.

Imagine having that cap space freed up while having Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Anunoby, Bagley, and Giles on rookie deals (except for Bogi)?

And if we took Doncic (like I wanted) you’d have a very versatile core:

PG - Fox
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Doncic
PF - Anunoby
C - Giles

Then we should have looked to trade that cap space for picks (Crabbe/1st for space, Iguodala/1st for space, Warren/#32 for space, etc.) to continue to build our asset pool.

But the point is that you could have had Anunoby starting at SF instead of Barnes (while making $21 mil less than Barnes and while only being 6 months older than Fox). I was yelling at my TV when we took Jackson over Anunoby.

Imagine having that cap space freed up while having Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Anunoby, Bagley, and Giles on rookie deals (except for Bogi)?

And if we took Doncic (like I wanted) you’d have a very versatile core:

PG - Fox
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Doncic
PF - Anunoby
C - Giles

Then we should have looked to trade that cap space for picks (Crabbe/1st for space, Iguodala/1st for space, Warren/#32 for space, etc.) to continue to build our asset pool.
Jesus will you STOP with the Doncic agenda?!?! Its not happening. Get over it.

Seriously. It's been over a year. IT AINT HAPPENING!!! MOVE ON!!!!

It is so tough to be a Kings fan with revisionist history constantly rearing its ugly head. What if the Maloofs didnt sell their beer distribution and sink money in the Palms? Maybe they could have built an arena and still been owners huh. A thousand Jimmers. What about that?

All I am saying. Revisit it a hundred thousand times. Nothing changes. Debate it until your head falls off and still, nothing changes. Are you right? Do you want to prove you are right? Is that why you continue this argument?

Well I guess keep on trying to prove it then. There will never be enough for you to do so. But hey man. Whatever helps you go to sleep at night.

Go Kings!! The players on the team I will root for..I ain't about to wish for what could have been. As a fan(Maloofs be damned) I'm rooting for THE KINGS.

Last edited:
you can look back and cherry pick any draft but I don't think the Kings lost out on any superstars which is the risk when you trade back. They ended up with Barnes so I think in the end it worked out.
Online armchair GM‘s/coaches are never wrong. They’ll always point to the draft picks that worked out and never mention the ones that didn’t.

I’ve been right about many players I’ve liked over the years but I’ve been wrong a whole lot more. So are most fans, whether they admit it or not.

It‘s always easy to review a draft in hindsight then conclusively state who should have been drafted and who shouldn’t have been. Those that hang their hat on ‘I knew it before the draft so I’m not speaking in hindsight‘ need to step down off the high horse and admit to the ones they also were certain about that didn’t work out. But they rarely do.

I agree with you that, in hindsight, the KINGS made out fairly well in that draft considering what they made out of it. Could they have done better? Sure. But they could have fared worse too.

Last edited:
Jesus will you STOP with the Doncic agenda?!?! Its not happening. Get over it.

Seriously. It's been over a year. IT AINT HAPPENING!!! MOVE ON!!!!

It is so tough to be a Kings fan with revisionist history constantly rearing its ugly head. What if the Maloofs didnt sell their beer distribution and sink money in the Palms? Maybe they could have built an arena and still been owners huh. A thousand Jimmers. What about that?

All I am saying. Revisit it a hundred thousand times. Nothing changes. Debate it until your head falls off and still, nothing changes. Are you right? Do you want to prove you are right? Is that why you continue this argument?

Well I guess keep on trying to prove it then. There will never be enough for you to do so. But hey man. Whatever helps you go to sleep at night.

Go Kings!! The players on the team I will root for..I ain't about to wish for what could have been. As a fan(Maloofs be damned) I'm rooting for THE KINGS.
There’s no need to get emotional.

This is a public forum. We discuss what we want to discuss. Furthermore, you clicked on a thread that should have told you exactly what’s happening here....revisiting. You had the option to not enter this thread but you did. That’s like touching a hot stove and blaming the stove. You made the choice. Live with it.

I’m going to continue to root for Bagley like I did on the day we drafted him. I hope he proves me wrong but at the time I thought it was the wrong pick and after watching them play last season I still think it was the wrong pick. I like to revert back to what I would have done because I enjoy the GM part of being a fan. Other fans like to focus more on future prospects. Other fans like to focus more on schemes. Other fans just like to watch games.

I’ll never tell another fan how to fan. Good day.

Online armchair GM‘s/coaches are never wrong. They’ll always point to the draft picks that worked out and never mention the ones that didn’t.

I’ve been right about many players I’ve liked over the years but I’ve been wrong a whole lot more. So are most fans, whether they admit it or not.

It‘s always easy to review a draft in hindsight then conclusively state who should have been drafted and who shouldn’t have been. Those that hang their hat on ‘I knew it before the draft so I’m not speaking in hindsight‘ need to step down off the high horse and admit to the ones they also were certain about that didn’t work out. But they rarely do.

I agree with you that, in hindsight, the KINGS made out fairly well in that draft considering what they made out of it. Could they have done better? Sure. But they could have fared worse too.
I’ve been pretty upfront about who I wanted in the past drafts and have been more than willing to recall the picks I would have gotten wrong.

Who we took / Who I would have taken:

2013 - McLemore / McLemore
2013 - McCallum / Withey
2014 - Stauskas / Payton
2015 - Cauley-Stein / Cauley-Stein
2016 - Papagiannis / Baldwin
2016 - Richardson / Luwawu
2016 - Labissiere / Labissiere
2017 - Fox / Fox
2017 - Jackson / Anunoby
2017 - Giles / Giles
2017 - Mason / Evans
2018 - Bagley / Doncic
2018 - Trent / Bonga
2019 - James / Bol Bol
2019 - Guy / McDaniels

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: If you enter a thread with the title "revisiting" in it, you don't have the right to yell at someone about revisiting whatever it is that was mentioned in said title. We all have the scroll option.

The thing always lost in these discussions is chemistry. It's the reason I consider the could have got Nash and Pierce/Dirk nonsense to be so silly. Because that team had some of the best chemistry and was the most fun to watch of any team I've ever followed. I just can't fathom that with different players.

This team has some of the best chemistry I've seen since those days. As good as some players have proven to be I struggle to see certain personalities fitting the way our team has. Of course that's totally hypothetical and conjecture, but it allows me to sleep pretty well at night with the choices we did make.

MOD NOTE: If you enter a thread with the title "revisiting" in it, you don't have the right to yell at someone about revisiting whatever it is that was mentioned in said title. We all have the scroll option.
Just for the record I didn’t really want to revisit. I was just lamenting briefly if Harry didn’t pan out we kinda missed on the 10 pick. Last thing I wanted was to revisit Luka and Bagley.

When I saw you split it out my first thought was God no.

Last edited:
Just for the record I didn’t really want to revisit. I was just lamenting briefly if Harry didn’t pan out we kinda missed on the 10 pick. Last thing I wanted was to revisit Luka and Bagley.

I mean I'm willing to drop the whole Bagley vs. Luka discussion. Everyone knows my opinion on the matter, and Bagley is our guy now. I've been supporting him since day 1 and I will continue to support him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

It was gonna happen sooner or later. I figured this was as good a time as any. Your post was about as non-confrontational as it possibly could be so it got the nod. :)

I honestly thought it might end up an ongoing discussion of Harry Giles. I didn't even consider Luka-Bagley. :oops: