[Game] Kings vs Suns - 7 PM PRE-GAME THREAD

Entity

Hall of Famer
I know....negative observations are not allowed during preseason because it's just preseason. Positive observations are allowed because that's real team improvement.
Well we will be better than last year unless you think WCS was a key. - WCS + DD + Holmes + Ariza + Joseph looks like an upgrade to me

It's not that negative observations are not allowed. It's that grand sweeping pronouncements after 3 preseason games are ludicrous.
I mean, I'm captain of "Preseason, Summer league don't matter," but he literally said the Kings looked like crap in this game and won't beat anyone if they keep playing like this. That's the exact opposite of a grand sweeping pronouncement.

I mean, I'm captain of "Preseason, Summer league don't matter," but he literally said the Kings looked like crap in this game and won't beat anyone if they keep playing like this. That's the exact opposite of a grand sweeping pronouncement.
You're right there wasn't a grand sweeping pronouncement in that particular post. I was responding primarily to the play-the-victim BS.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ive stated this before but if you project the top 7 teams in the west to be GS, LA, LA, Por, Den, Utah, Hou and then a few in the east to be Bos, Bkn, Tor, Mil. against those 11 teams last year The Kings were 3-31. once again 3-31. so we actually feed off the bottom of the league last year and got 39 wins. I personally think we can pick up more than 3 wins in those 34 games this year. don't have to be .500. 4 wins is an improvment and lets say we go 10-24 that looks terrible still but at the same time 7 wins better than last year.

Well we will be better than last year unless you think WCS was a key. - WCS + DD + Holmes + Ariza + Joseph looks like an upgrade to me
I thought WCS was a huge key to the half court defense, despite his inability or lack of effort when it came to protecting the rim. He played the pick and roll pretty well and could switch on anyone. He got an A from me in that area of the game while Bagley gets a D-. The only thing keeping him from getting an F is he puts in effort. Despite all that effort, his pick and roll defense is really really bad. He gets by when he gets to defend a stretch 4 because he's actually a much better perimeter defender on 4s than anyone thought but as soon as he gets put into the pick and roll or has to defend post moves, he's a complete liability.

Crossing my fingers that this improves asap. If the Kings want to make the playoffs, this area of his game has to improve in the first quarter of the season.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I thought WCS was a huge key to the half court defense, despite his inability or lack of effort when it came to protecting the rim. He played the pick and roll pretty well and could switch on anyone. He got an A from me in that area of the game while Bagley gets a D-. The only thing keeping him from getting an F is he puts in effort. Despite all that effort, his pick and roll defense is really really bad. He gets by when he gets to defend a stretch 4 because he's actually a much better perimeter defender on 4s than anyone thought but as soon as he gets put into the pick and roll or has to defend post moves, he's a complete liability.

Crossing my fingers that this improves asap. If the Kings want to make the playoffs, this area of his game has to improve in the first quarter of the season.
how was Neminja on the pick and roll? you should compare Dedmond to WCS not Bagley. Bagley should be compared to Belijca. If we are going to do apples to apples here

I agree, it seems at this point I'd rather have Zach Lavine at that contract he was given. Would've been interesting to see how the Kings look with Lavine at the Wing as well considering he turned down our offer.
I thought the same the way Lavine began last season. But his defense is so bad that he ain‘t worth it either. Both Booker and Lavine are extremely overrated players.

Was great to go see a game again!! Go Kings!!!

Richaun,Dwayne shot 100%, 60% FG% , loved Richaun energy and hustle
Either of these guys an uprade over Willie!!
Dedmon and Bagley played some good D against Ayton!
Ariza 1 of 6 from the 3? he does like to shoot
Bjelly 0 for 1 only made one attempt (maybe needs to ask Ariza for a few passes!)
Maybe Giles can steal some of Bjelly minutes

I liked how the kings scoring was spread over all the starters
Suns was all Booker all the time

Gonna be a fun year!!

Fox really needs to improve his shot selection. He needs to stop trying to drive in traffic all the time and he needs to completely remove the floater from his game since it never goes in. Unless he's in transition or being guarded one on one he should only be looking to facilitate.

Do WCS and MB3 play the same position? I thought one was a 5 and the other a 4?

Hard for these players to care about preseason at this point. Its too long

They won’t be lethargic when the real games begin
Pre-season is a product of a different time. It's become a joke in the NFL and rightfully so, but the NBA could lead the way here and ditch the preseason in favor of a longer season with more time between games. They were talking about lower numbers of back to backs during the Warriors broadcast last night. You could certainly eliminate most of them if you ditched the pre-season for adding a month to the 82 game schedule.

Players don't take time off the way they do in the past, with all the national team commitments, summer leagues, etc.

how was Neminja on the pick and roll? you should compare Dedmond to WCS not Bagley. Bagley should be compared to Belijca. If we are going to do apples to apples here
It depends on who they're guarding. Pick and rolls aren't normally ran through a player like Dario Saric as the roller. Sabonis was playing the 4 and they ran plenty through him and Bagley whiffed on most of them. If the opposing team has a stretch 4, they try and switch their 5 on to Bagley to put him in that position. He wasn't put in that position much until the last month of the season and he was exploited there big time. Beli is a smart defender, he just lacks lateral movement and athleticism. He holds his own in the PNR for the most part.

You think it might be possible that a 40 hour round trip flight last week might have had a little something to do with it?

Secondly, it’s referred to ‘preseason’ for a reason.
Again, can people just comment on the game itself without having to hear this crap? It's tiresome. I get it. It's preseason. I'm not making any crazy irrational assumptions based on a few preseason games. I'm literally observing the game that's playing before my eyes and then commenting on what I'm seeing. If you can't handle that, then just block me and go find yourself a safe space where observations aren't allowed until they're 30 games deep into the season. People literally can't even comment on the game they're watching these days without the preseason police coming along blowing the whistle in every thread. Just don't log in to the forum if you don't want to read observations during the preseason. I thought that was the point of this whole place but apparently I was wrong.

Do WCS and MB3 play the same position? I thought one was a 5 and the other a 4?
Bagley is going to have to guard the 4 and 5. Teams know he can't defend the pick and roll so they will get him switched on the 5 and then go to town on him or they'll use a bigger 4 like Sabonis or Taj Gibson who will either get him lost in the pick and roll or throw a couple post moves on him and get him to leave his feet for easy trips to the line.

Again, can people just comment on the game itself without having to hear this crap? It's tiresome. I get it. It's preseason. I'm not making any crazy irrational assumptions based on a few preseason games. I'm literally observing the game that's playing before my eyes and then commenting on what I'm seeing. If you can't handle that, then just block me and go find yourself a safe space where observations aren't allowed until they're 30 games deep into the season. People literally can't even comment on the game they're watching these days without the preseason police coming along blowing the whistle in every thread. Just don't log in to the forum if you don't want to read observations during the preseason. I thought that was the point of this whole place but apparently I was wrong.
I like you bro. But you can often be a whiny hypocrite. This being one of those times. You want to be able to post your thoughts with impunity but don’t want to allow others to do the same when they conflict with your own POV. I think you not keeping things in perspective and constantly flying off the handle could be considered ‘crap’, but I don’t recommend that you not write it or to block me if you don’t like my response.

When someone opts to share their hot takes or observations, they’re opening themselves to be challenged on it. And vice versa for myself. Seems like I’m handling it fine because I’m attempting to have a dialog and discuss it.

What exactly is wrong with having the opinion that you might not be keeping things in perspective and asking you the question?

Just like the freaking preseason game, I believe you’re totally overreacting. Perhaps that’s just your nature.

Pre-season is a product of a different time. It's become a joke in the NFL and rightfully so, but the NBA could lead the way here and ditch the preseason in favor of a longer season with more time between games. They were talking about lower numbers of back to backs during the Warriors broadcast last night. You could certainly eliminate most of them if you ditched the pre-season for adding a month to the 82 game schedule.

Players don't take time off the way they do in the past, with all the national team commitments, summer leagues, etc.
Lower number of back to back games for everyone but the Kings, I’m sure. Somehow we always get screwed

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Again, can people just comment on the game itself without having to hear this crap?
I like you bro. But you can often be a whiny hypocrite.
OK, so I'm putting my neck on the line a little bit by letting the NBA/China thread go for now (basically well done, everybody, much better than I expected) but that means I really don't want to see a blow-up on another thread. So how's about you gentlemen shake hands and go grab a beer together?