I'll never forgive Petrie for ... (split)

I for one will never forgive Geoff Petrie for drafting Jason Williams instead of Dirk or Paul Pierce.
All jokes and sarcasm aside — and after a few years of hindsight — I’ve always wondered whether those KINGS teams might have won a title had Paul Pierce been their draft selection. Especially on those earlier 1999, 2000, and 2001 teams that weren’t quite ready.

Pierce came out of the gates running and surely would have helped the KINGS matchup against Kobe much better as well as become the clutch time scorer they didn’t really have until the Mike Bibby trade.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I had to comment once I was reminded of it,

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I for one will never forgive Geoff Petrie for drafting Jason Williams instead of Dirk or Paul Pierce.
In hindsight it's obvious that both those players went on to have better careers than JW. But Dirk averaged around 5 pt's a game his rookie year, and the Dallas fans wanted to run him out of town. Hmmm, sounds familiar! JW was exactly what the Kings needed at that time. He and the Kings were on the top 10 plays of the night almost every night the Kings played. He had his flaws, but he helped put that team on the map...

I would have liked to keep JWill and see how it went. Especially since in hindsight we never did win a championship, id rather have kept JWill and his electricity.

After that Petrie had a pretty putrid drafting stretch after he struck some gold for the glory years. The last few years was god aweful

In retrospect, we really should have left Webber unprotected. A lineup of Bibby, Christie, Peja, Wallace and brad miller would have been pretty fun. Am I remembering that right? I think that would have been possible.
Wallace played SF, who played only when both Peja and Hido were injured. Vlade, CWeb and Brad Miller shared 4 and 5.

I will never forgive Petrie trading Abdul Wahad for Nick Anderson.

Wallace played SF, who played only when both Peja and Hido were injured. Vlade, CWeb and Brad Miller shared 4 and 5.

I will never forgive Petrie trading Abdul Wahad for Nick Anderson.
True. Although I wonder what playing peja as a small ball 4 would have looked like given the success of that style in the modern nba. Defense probably would have suffered a lot. But who knows.

True. Although I wonder what playing peja as a small ball 4 would have looked like given the success of that style in the modern nba. Defense probably would have suffered a lot. But who knows.
Well, considering that Peja was the only Dirk-stopper at the time, maybe the defense would not suffer.

I will forgive Petrie for everything, but there is very little to forgive him for. He was the best thing to happen to this franchise in the modern era. He is responsible for the Golden Days: importing the Princeton Offense and Carill, drafting European players, hiring Adelman, trading for Webber. All of which were highly controversial (exception being Adelman) and not at all intuitive. He saw that that style of ball would fit our small market, and knew we'd never sign a major FA and couldn't go off star power, during a Big Man Era btw (Duncan, Shaq etc). Nobody was playing that type of ball, now, the whole game has changed to play a version of that style. And, that if we did trade for a star, that star had to be an excellent passer and facilitator. Hence: Webber.

He constructed the perfect team in the only way available to him. Drafting and a few key trades. He doesn't get nearly enough credit. Many fans to day are spoiled rotten... BECAUSE OF HIM.

Petrie should have left or made very loud noises the moment his draft choices has been ignored.
I remember the man was very high on Kawhi and yet Kings ended up on with Jimmer.

Kawhi could have put Cousins to his senses early in his career instead of probably bullying Jimmer during practice.

The man could have closed his career with 2 successive years of super draft picks.
DMC and Whiteside on 2010
And could have been Kawhi and IT on 2011

Petrie was awesome finding diamonds in the late draft during the golden years. He made some good trades too.. and bad (CWebb). Its a good chance the Maloofs had their hands in some of the bad at the end.. but those last couple years those top picks has taking us until now to recover from. ie; Jimmer and Thomas Robinson. Wasted seasons. Horrible franchise killers.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will forgive Petrie for everything, but there is very little to forgive him for. He was the best thing to happen to this franchise in the modern era. He is responsible for the Golden Days: importing the Princeton Offense and Carill, drafting European players, hiring Adelman, trading for Webber. All of which were highly controversial (exception being Adelman) and not at all intuitive. He saw that that style of ball would fit our small market, and knew we'd never sign a major FA and couldn't go off star power, during a Big Man Era btw (Duncan, Shaq etc). Nobody was playing that type of ball, now, the whole game has changed to play a version of that style. And, that if we did trade for a star, that star had to be an excellent passer and facilitator. Hence: Webber.

He constructed the perfect team in the only way available to him. Drafting and a few key trades. He doesn't get nearly enough credit. Many fans to day are spoiled rotten... BECAUSE OF HIM.
I split this out with the intention that it would be, as with the initial post, light-hearted. ;)