[Game] Friday morning game

I have to agree with this 100%. Bagley didn't look good against Sabonis today and Sabonis is not even a top 10 center in the league. He's gonna be up against Jokic, AD, Gobert, Capela, etc. and he'll need to step up big time. I know it's too early to make these rants and this one game doesn't have to mean anything, but I'm really looking to see what aspects of his game were significantly improved during this summer.
No, if he is going to play PF against starters.
Another thing I didn't really like was Fox's game today. I'd love to see him do a little more playmaking and a little less driving into 3 guys and hoping the ball would somehow go in. That was ok when we were 12th team in the West, but if we're looking to reach the playoffs, we gotta play smarter.
IMO, he did not do that too much today. He could play better, more aggressive, though. Today, he was a bit passive, not too creative, the offense in crunch time was stagnant with him handling the ball.

Looking at +-, Fox was -12, Bagley was -11. On the other hand: Cory +15, Holmes +14, Bogi +14. Looking forward to the next game tomorrow.
Yes, our bench outplayed theirs. It looks like they are gonna be a force against second units.

My main takeaway is that the Bogdan/Holmes two man game is going to be a thing this year.

Also, they really need to put in something for Bagley. Dude was on an island almost the whole game. The team has need to switch to being a 3 point team for awhile now but that doesn't mean they should throw all post play out the window.

It also shows you how getting too deep in your bench with a janky lineup can come back to bite you. That end of the 2nd unit let the Pacers get going.

All of this talk about defense, how improved it is. Then I see the score and realize that we just gave up 132 points to the Pacers.
We have a long way to go to be a good defensive team. Even playing at a fast pace, that is way too many points.
Leading rebounders get 5. Dedmon only played 17 minutes. Where is the rebounding going to come from?
One of the things I could not stand about Willie was his 5 rebound games.
These things need to improve, or people need to lower their expectations.

Last edited:
Yes, our bench outplayed theirs. It looks like they are gonna be a force against second units.
All of this talk about defense, how improved it is. Then I see the score and realize that we just gave up 132 points to the Pacers.
We have a long way to go to be a good defensive team. Even playing at a fast pace, that is way too many points.
Leading rebounders get 5. Dedmon only played 17 minutes. Where is the rebounding going to come from?
FIFTY WINS

Just from the highlights:

I can see Barnes getting comfortable with this squad. Corner 3 was his forte in GS, glad to see he's getting more looks there.

PnR is going to be deadly with either Bagley or Holmes

Bogi looks like a stud

Dedmon can space the floor well for everyone else.

Buddy is a scoring machine

Finally getting around to watching the game. Some observations so far(first half):

-Good to have some centers in Dedmond and Holmes who defend the paint and use their length.

- Buddy's ball handling has improved. Looks more comfortable shooting off the dribble, he's a stud.

-Bagley is looking to pass more. His screen setting and rolling has to improve if he wants to start. He can learn from Holmes. Bagley is essentially replacing Willie's role in the starting lineup.

- Bogi looks in regular season form.

-The team has potential to improve a lot defensively with the pieces that were added.

Bagley was comically bad. Kings win by 10 if Dedmon/Holmes/Giles (not Swanigan) take half his minutes. His defense was as bad as it gets for a big man but what was up with his rebounding? That was worse than a WCS non rebounding effort game. He jumped way too early on every single rebound attempt and if he wasn't jumping early he was underneath the damn rim. I have no idea what he was doing out there rebounding wise but just him jumping way too early on every shot alone cost us the game.

I really like what I saw from Ariza. He's horribly inefficient from 2 so he scared me every time he drove into the lane but he made the right decision every time on his kick out passes. That's going to be an underrated feature added to the team this year.

Bogie's shot looks like it's still in FIBA form.

CoJo got squeezed by the refs on defense but he looked good out there on that side of the ball. He's really slow on the offensive end though.

Holmes did what Holmes does. Good things.

Bagley was comically bad. Kings win by 10 if Dedmon/Holmes/Giles (not Swanigan) take half his minutes. His defense was as bad as it gets for a big man but what was up with his rebounding? That was worse than a WCS non rebounding effort game. He jumped way too early on every single rebound attempt and if he wasn't jumping early he was underneath the damn rim. I have no idea what he was doing out there rebounding wise but just him jumping way too early on every shot alone cost us the game.

I really like what I saw from Ariza. He's horribly inefficient from 2 so he scared me every time he drove into the lane but he made the right decision every time on his kick out passes. That's going to be an underrated feature added to the team this year.

CoJo got squeezed by the refs on defense but he looked good out there on that side of the ball. He's really slow on the offensive end though.

You just described Bagley's rebounding problem. His instinct is just to jump for every ball. Defensive rebounding is all about everyone boxing out their man and let the closest man get the ball. Sabonis was eating Bagley alive inside and getting any position he wanted. Bagley needs to really strengthen his lower body and learn the fundamentals if he wants to be a good defensive rebounder.

You just described Bagley's rebounding problem. His instinct is just to jump for every ball. Defensive rebounding is all about everyone boxing out their man and let the closest man get the ball. Sabonis was eating Bagley alive inside and getting any position he wanted. Bagley needs to really strengthen his lower body and learn the fundamentals if he wants to be a good defensive rebounder.
Exactly. His jump is so quick, he doesn't need to jump early....ever. Just box out and then jump when the ball caroms off the rim and that's 10 rebounds a night right there.

While it's a bummer to read that Bagley played like crap, I remember he was pretty terrible in last year's summer league/preseason as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if he drops a bunch of stink bombs, and then takes off in the regular season.

Hopefully he plays better tomorrow, but I'm not tripping if he doesn't.
He's a second year player who hasn't played a competitive game in five plus months. He's definitely rusty but the defensive rebounding and screen setting are legit points of concern.

Holmes is like sneaky good insurance if things go bad with Giles/Bagley long-term. Just doesn't make any sense to me why he didn't have any suitors. I think if Pop had him the past 2 seasons, he'd have been a 13+mil/season guy this summer.

Even if Giles and Bagley become what we want from them, he's as close to an ideal 3rd big as you can find. Positional flexibility, can switch defensively, can rebound, rim runs, high energy/effort player, efficient offensively. And frankly, just hard to ignore a guy who's just been flat out good for 4 years while mostly playing on completely trash teams.

Last edited:
The pace didn't look all that fast to me.

Why oh why did I come here to checkout a game thread on the fist preseason game on the other side of the globe?....great to see we are in mid season form. the over reactions are hilarious.
Like the NFL, pre-season is hardly worth worrying about. They could go 0-6 and then start the season 4-2 with no worse for wear. More important to stay away from injuries, and give the last 8 through 13 players longer minutes and looks.

Bagley was getting high praise with his stent with team USA basketball. He has gotten some practice games in already.

Most of the trouble down low on both ends seemingly looked like he was the only kings player at the basket.
When you are constantly trying to go against 2 and even 3 players I believe the coach has set you up to fail.

Now with the floor being more open he will have to figure how to work on his post moves.

Liked the two level scoring (3s and at the rim) of Bags. Still needs to work on his defense--stop jumping at everything. Needs to work on a mid range as well. Still a one speed player.