Harrison Barnes Likely to Receive $88 mill over 4 Years

That's because he isn't - plain and simple. He's a good role player.....he does have the right attitude. Cauley-Stein can learn. Just too much for a B-level player.. Now it could be he comes out proves us wrong - I hope he does.

Is he worth that price tag? Considering role and production potential of course not. The same would go for Nikola Vucevic or Horford if signed for even more even if they are capable of living up to it somewhere else. It depends on what the proof you intend to see is. Is it individually based on his production? Is it based on the teams success? In the role he had last year you saw how he fits and it makes the team better, or it should if used right. Players like Nic Batum, Otto Porter, Galinari, Barnes, and so on get paid what they do because of the necessity of having that type of physical ability at that specific position. And in todays NBA you can't survive without a combo F. Hence, they will be paid a premium.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Then you you start your 2nd rounder and hope he does well........while playing hard ball with contacts. You don't overpay for "security", you overpay for talent. And who knows with the other players - your not in on the negotiations; to claim otherwise is conjecture.. Yes its my opinion; you can disagree if you like..
you are correct i don't know for sure about the other players. I guess it could be that Leonard and Harris both said they would come but we chose Barnes instead.

you are correct i don't know for sure about the other players. I guess it could be that Leonard and Harris both said they would come but we chose Barnes instead.
Leonard would likely not be coming - he's from the LA area. And the Raptors just won with him. That's probably a non-starter.

Yes the Kings sure did choose Barnes and then some. Barnes better be stepping it up. His coffers are now full.

If your going to spend over 20million on a player at least do it on one that's shown he helps his teams win in recent times e.g Horford/Brogdan he's not worth 22million. There is better cheaper/better fit options on the market this is disaster considering it's a 4 year deal as well.

I'll keep it succinct. It's an overpay, but not a hideous overpay. Barnes is solid, glad we locked him up, just wish it was a little less.
It's getting close - $18MM/season I would've agreed. Now if they had a bunch of incentives to push it up higher, but a lower flat salaries that would've been more reasonable, although the official deal has not been released.

If your going to spend over 20million on a player at least do it on one that's shown he helps his teams win in recent times e.g Horford/Brogdan he's not worth 22million. There is better cheaper/better fit options on the market this is disaster considering it's a 4 year deal as well.
I dont know about a disaster but its not very good - I agree. That would be if Barnes continues his same level of performance that is.....

I wish we could go back in a time machine and look at some of the blogger and expert ideas on what the Kings should offer for a guy like Barnes. It was a lot, including first round picks... I remember posting a pic of an ESPN note about it.
I dont think any smart/good analyst ever suggested giving significant assets for Barnes would be a smart thing to do.

Why do people want to nibble on the corners so much and begrudge this guy or that guy $1M or $2M per year? And why is it sometimes the same guys who will laugh and mock the Kings if they sell a second rounder for $1-$2M?
I think that the people who are questioning this contract arent saying this is an overpay of 1-2mil per year, I think they are saying its closer to 5mil/year overpay and 5million of cap space is much more valuable than the owner getting an extra million dollars in his pockets. Also those two things arent comparable in any way since one helps the team and the other only helps the owner.

I think its fair to say that Barnes is a lot closer to being a 15mil/year player than 22mil/year. First of all it would be nice to know who we were bidding against and what the market for Barnes would've been if not for us. Certainly this is much better than wasting 31mil/year to Zbo and Hill but could there have been a possibility to do something better with that money?

Barnes as a player has value and its good to have players like him on your team. If this was 4/70mil, I would be happy. 4/88mil just looks like overpaying for a guy that isnt really a difference maker rather than a guy that plays the premium position that can hold his own doing that.

Barnes would now be the 8th highest paid small forward in the NBA out of 30 teams on a team that he was partially brought in to try to make the playoffs last year and failed. Kings office say " meh, that didn't matter". Barnes'll be poppin' open the champagne......if this is true. The Kings basically re-upped the Mavs contract with a 12% discount for 4 years.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Barnes would now be the 8th highest paid small forward in the NBA out of 30 teams on a team that he was partially brought in to try to make the playoffs last year and failed. Kings office say " meh, that didn't matter". Barnes'll be poppin' open the champagne......if this is true. The Kings basically re-upped the Mavs contract with a 12% discount for 4 years.
see if he is still #8 after next week.

I dont think any smart/good analyst ever suggested giving significant assets for Barnes would be a smart thing to do.

I think that the people who are questioning this contract arent saying this is an overpay of 1-2mil per year, I think they are saying its closer to 5mil/year overpay and 5million of cap space is much more valuable than the owner getting an extra million dollars in his pockets. Also those two things arent comparable in any way since one helps the team and the other only helps the owner.

I think its fair to say that Barnes is a lot closer to being a 15mil/year player than 22mil/year. First of all it would be nice to know who we were bidding against and what the market for Barnes would've been if not for us. Certainly this is much better than wasting 31mil/year to Zbo and Hill but could there have been a possibility to do something better with that money?

Barnes as a player has value and its good to have players like him on your team. If this was 4/70mil, I would be happy. 4/88mil just looks like overpaying for a guy that isnt really a difference maker rather than a guy that plays the premium position that can hold his own doing that.
Exactly. 88 is just, well ka-ching for Barnes......lets see if there's even a 10% uptick on performance next year across his statistics .....that's being kind for what he was overpaid.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I think some of you either (A) are determined to be unhappy no matter what or (B) have an inflated sense of what is possible in Free Agency for this market. Nobody is putting Sacramento at the top of their list -- not one player ever has or will. Retaining decent players when we get them is the only way for this team to stay competitive. The alternative here is an annual payroll perpetually near the bottom of the league (the complaint there would be that owners are being cheap), continued mediocrity (they're not even trying), or splurging on "respected" role-players who are just coming to cash the check (and then the local media harps on for months how much we need to ship these lazy bums out mid-season).

I agree that this is not a fair argument but there's a land of logic wherein the Sacramento Kings do not exist. Any and all team-building scenarios which fail to account for the "Sacramento" tax are doomed to be woefully optimistic. I've been following this team for a long time now. The rules that most of the NBA tams play by simply do not apply to us. So yeah, I bet most fans are laughing at what an overpay this is but those same fans would be laughing at any possibility of Kawhi or KD or even Tobias Harris picking Sacramento not to mention laughing at our incompetence if we lost Barnes and ended up with a year of Corey Brewer or Bogdan Bogdanovic as our starting SF so screw 'em.

I gave some of the names right in his neighborhood before. Barnes looks like a steal compared to some of those names.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
in the Brewer mold we could go with
Brewer
House
Jefferson
Stanley Johnson
Hezonja
Up-voted for Stanley Johnson mention! I don't know how much I still believe in him but if nothing else he ought to be dirt cheap and happy just to be on a team next year. His offense has been inexcusably bad but the guy flat out knows how to play defense. I think that's worth a flier.

I think some of you either (A) are determined to be unhappy no matter what or (B) have an inflated sense of what is possible in Free Agency for this market. Nobody is putting Sacramento at the top of their list -- not one player ever has or will. Retaining decent players when we get them is the only way for this team to stay competitive. The alternative here is an annual payroll perpetually near the bottom of the league (the complaint there would be that owners are being cheap), continued mediocrity (they're not even trying), or splurging on "respected" role-players who are just coming to cash the check (and then the local media harps on for months how much we need to ship these lazy bums out mid-season).

I agree that this is not a fair argument but there's a land of logic wherein the Sacramento Kings do not exist. Any and all team-building scenarios which fail to account for the "Sacramento" tax are doomed to be woefully optimistic. I've been following this team for a long time now. The rules that most of the NBA tams play by simply do not apply to us. So yeah, I bet most fans are laughing at what an overpay this is but those same fans would be laughing at any possibility of Kawhi or KD or even Tobias Harris picking Sacramento not to mention laughing at our incompetence if we lost Barnes and ended up with a year of Corey Brewer or Bogdan Bogdanovic as our starting SF so screw 'em.
When you look at Barnes' final 21 games you'd had to bring him back. He played tremendously and didn't break the offense to do it. That's worth a premium alone. We'll see what else Vlade can do and then it's all on the coaching. Nobody can make excuses that they didn't have the talent to work with.

I’ve learned to live with you not being happy it’s ok.

I know there are some of you playing virtual gm 3-D chess and I applaud it. In that world - players take what you offer them, other gms trade what you ask for, and teams win what the VORP stats and blogger prognosticators (the smart ones anyway) say they should. It sounds awesome.

I’ve learned to live with you not being happy it’s ok.

I know there are some of you playing virtual gm 3-D chess and I applaud it. In that world - players take what you offer them, other gms trade what you ask for, and teams win what the VORP stats and blogger prognosticators (the smart ones anyway) say they should. It sounds awesome.
Apparrently you are including me in that little generalisation and I sincierly hope thats not your actuall conclusion on opinions that argue for example that trading picks for cash isnt maximizing your assets and that Harrison Barnes isnt probably quite worth 88mil/4.

But what can you do though. Having an opinion on things instead of just applauding isnt that fun probably

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
More like 17th-highest paid:

These guys are already ahead for next year
1) LeBron $37.4M
2) George $33M
3) Hayward $32.7M
4) DeRozan $27.7M
5) Wiggins $27.5M
6) Porter $27.3M
7) Giannis $25.8M
8) Batum $25.6M
9) Parsons $25.1M
10) Gallinari $22.6M

Slot these guys in somewhere...
11) Durant FA
12) Leonard FA
13) Butler FA
14) Klay FA
15) Harris FA
16) Middleton FA

17) Barnes $22M

I don’t think it’s a big overpay by today’s standards really. Plus, he was leaving 25 million on the table so we knew whatever he was re-upping with was likely going to be over 20 per. Harrison is a fit through and through. He’s in his prime and now has likely found what his main role in the NBA is after the shot as “the guy” in Dallas. We got him at the right time And I believe we’ll get his most valuable years of basketball. I don’t think we’ve seen all he can bring to the Kings yet.

More like 17th-highest paid:

These guys are already ahead for next year
1) LeBron $37.4M
2) George $33M
3) Hayward $32.7M
4) DeRozan $27.7M
5) Wiggins $27.5M
6) Porter $27.3M
7) Giannis $25.8M
8) Batum $25.6M
9) Parsons $25.1M
10) Gallinari $22.6M

Slot these guys in somewhere...
11) Durant FA
12) Leonard FA
13) Butler FA
14) Klay FA
15) Harris FA
16) Middleton FA

17) Barnes $22M
I was looking at average salary of the contract.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I was looking at average salary of the contract.
Well, there's not really any point in comparing average salary of a deal signed 3-4 years ago to a deal signed next month. If we're looking at average salary going forward, all the above contracts are either expiring or increasing, none are decreasing. So it doesn't change the math.

If some of you guys are upset, there is not really many realistic youthful SF targets the Kings could get for the long term with the potential impact of Barnes.

If you are a gambling man Oubre, who does have some athletic potential. But that's a risky investment.