Harrison Barnes is opting out

dude12

Hall of Famer
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/5

He's the 46th ranked SF defender for espn's rpm stat. There's a handful of players in front of him that didn't play much so he's really about 15 spots higher than that.

Defensive box plus/minus has him ranked 101 of 107 of all guards and forwards. He's obviously not that bad but you mix his defensive stats with the eye test and he's average at best. More than likely below average but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
He’s not average at best. If you watched the games, and I know you did, there is no way you can come away from games and say he is average at best. I don’t buy the spreadsheet in this case.

He’s not average at best. If you watched the games, and I know you did, there is no way you can come away from games and say he is average at best. I don’t buy the spreadsheet in this case.
Even the nba.com stat shows that he allows basically the exact same shooting percentage that his opponents average. If that's not average, I don't know what is. It's not like he gets a ton of steals or blocks or anything to make up for it.

He looks good on defense because we're used to watching rookies and poor defenders out there. An average defender is going to step in and look great compared to the rest of these guys but when compared to the actual good defensive players of the league, he's merely average overall.

I'm just saying, if I could dial the defense way up and the offense back a bit at a couple of positions, I'd do it to flip the script on this team and form a new identity. Barnes is merely a guy that's going to keep your team holding pat but he will never sway the pendulum one way or another. I don't think that's worth 20 mil a year for 4 years. I like Barnes in the role he played for us last year, I just don't think he's worth that type of cash if that's what he winds up getting.

Yes, I've never bought the idea that Harrison is a good defender. He's a solid defender. That's it. He won't kill you defensively but he's not shutting anyone down either. We're just used to seeing below average defensive players so anything better than "terrible" is generally seen as "good".

gunks

Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to see Barnes under a coach who won't play him out of position just to be petty and **** with the FO..

But I wouldn't overpay him. He's solid, and fits, but not spectacular at anything.

With conley now in Utah, I sure hope Vlade has some legit plans.
I would love one of those plans being to call up Memphis and ask if they intend to keep Crowder. I'm not sure what the Kings do in the draft because there should be some options that fill the need but like Steve Kerr mentioned in the postseason with his team, the Kings are full of volleyball players, and they desperately need some linebackers. Physicality on the wing is going to become a necessity, especially if Kawhi moves west.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings don't sign Barnes, what's the alternative at the 3? Leonard? :D Seriously, you're left with possibly Middleton and Bojan as potential targets and there's pretty slim pickings after that. https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/29/nba-free-agency-2019-small-forwards/

If the Kings don't re-sign Barnes, it looks to me that they'd more than likely have to go the trade route to get a legit 3. Otherwise, we're back to the age old need of the Kings - a small forward.

If the Kings don't sign Barnes, what's the alternative at the 3? Leonard? :D Seriously, you're left with possibly Middleton and Bojan as potential targets and there's pretty slim pickings after that. https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/29/nba-free-agency-2019-small-forwards/

If the Kings don't re-sign Barnes, it looks to me that they'd more than likely have to go the trade route to get a legit 3. Otherwise, we're back to the age old need of the Kings - a small forward.
Oubre and hope the Suns don't match.

Entity

Hall of Famer
GS finally falls off and now all these other teams in the west are getting better.
LAL still going after a max guy after AD
LAC legitimate landing spot for Leonard and others .
UT just got Conley
HOU apparently going hard after Butler
MIN being rumored as landing spot for Russell

Let’s see what Vlade can do to counter .
Horfor being linked to Dallas. really not seeing any FA rumors about the Kings other than Barnes and some old guesses about Vucevic. i actually won't be suprised if we give the 30 mil a year to Vuc

I like Conley, but he didn’t have much for Fox last year. I’m not worried about Utah—they just locked themselves into a ceiling of a 7 seed. Conley is more consistent than Rubio, but I don’t he really changes the alchemy there. D-Lo would have scared me.

Horfor being linked to Dallas. really not seeing any FA rumors about the Kings other than Barnes and some old guesses about Vucevic. i actually won't be suprised if we give the 30 mil a year to Vuc
There are still options out there.

I am 95% confident that Barnes will re-sign so we will have the SF covered. In terms of C, there are options of Vucevic, DeAndre Jordan and the trade for Steve Adams who would probably be a better fit than DAJ. Yes he gets paid a fair bit but its a 2 year deal and essentially he is getting paid the same amount as we would have paid Barnes had he not opted out.

We will get a couple of good players that will make us better. It is absolutely critical not to make a bad move this off-season. It's not far fetched to say that now is the time to make a check mate move while all the best players are still on rookie deals. Next off-season we don't have that luxury.

Why wouldn't he? From all reports, he loves being here, likes his teammates, enjoys being part of a franchise on the way up, and knows he will be a valued part of any success.
I am sure there are enough other nice teammates and successful franchises out there with an interest Barnes. The NBA is a business, for teams and for players.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am sure there are enough other nice teammates and successful franchises out there with an interest Barnes. The NBA is a business, for teams and for players.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to get at. The NBA is a career for these young men and they would always prefer to be happy while they make their million and Barnes is apparently pretty happy here. Why wouldn't he prefer a long-term career here? A LOT of other players continue to sing the praises of Sacramento long after they've departed.

GS finally falls off and now all these other teams in the west are getting better.
LAL still going after a max guy after AD
LAC legitimate landing spot for Leonard and others .
UT just got Conley
HOU apparently going hard after Butler
MIN being rumored as landing spot for Russell

Let’s see what Vlade can do to counter .
Its about who has the best record at the end of the season. Right now it's very easy to get swept into who looks like a playoff team during the offseason. I thought the Clippers would be pure trash, as did most. Denver, Orlando, Indiana, Brooklyn, all surprised the hell out of everyone. Houston, SA looked like mere mortals during the regular season. Portland didn't make any major moves and got to the WCF. Last year's Kings roster improved their win total by 12 games over the previous year while making some obvious mistakes during the season. If the current roster tightens up their play then we are a playoff team.

Almost forgot to mention that the 7akers acquired Lebron and still managed to become the laughing stock of the NBA. Lastly, to "counter" would be to react; I would prefer that our FO not make reactionary decisions. I happen to think our roster is pretty loaded, why chase free agents unless they are seen as a perfect fit? Asset acquisition? We aren't in a spot to do that.

Last edited:
Its about who has the best record at the end of the season. Right now it's very easy to get swept into who looks like a playoff team during the offseason. I thought the Clippers would be pure trash, as did most. Denver, Orlando, Indiana, Brooklyn, all surprised the hell out of everyone. Houston, SA looked like mere mortals during the regular season. Portland didn't make any major moves and got to the WCF. Last year's Kings roster improved their win total by 12 games over the previous year while making some obvious mistakes during the season. If the current roster tightens up their play then we are a playoff team.

Almost forgot to mention that the 7akers acquired Lebron and still managed to become the laughing stock of the NBA. Lastly, to "counter" would be to react; I would prefer that our FO not make reactionary decisions. I happen to think our roster is pretty loaded, why chase free agents unless they are seen as a perfect fit? Asset acquisition? We aren't in a spot to do that.
To counter is not to react. If you have the means and the options to improve your team you do it. . If you want to stand pat that’s great. I happen to think there are moves out there to be made that can make this team significantly better

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to get at. The NBA is a career for these young men and they would always prefer to be happy while they make their million and Barnes is apparently pretty happy here. Why wouldn't he prefer a long-term career here? A LOT of other players continue to sing the praises of Sacramento long after they've departed.
My point, is that resigning him is not a sure thing. If we do it, it will be because the Kings made the best offer, and there are a lot of other teams that are able to affect that. Remember the Zach Lavine situation of last year? A player's short term happiness doesn't factor in until they have multiple similar offers to choose between.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In the FWIW dept., I'm guessing Divac does a total 180 degree turn from last year's strategy in which he waited until the very end for some bargains. It's very possible that Leonard and Durant could take their sweet time in making up their mind about what they want to do, in which case the teams thinking of bidding on their services are going to have their hands tied and their $$$ are going to be in suspension until Durant and Leonard make a decision. It's a perfect scenario for the Kings to swoop in immediately on 2nd tier FAs, make an offer, give them a few hours to make a decision, and go onto the next FA if they get rejected. If the Kings don't pounce immediately on their FA targets I fear the teams eventually rejected by Leonard and Durant are with all their cap $$$ will compete for the same FAs the Kings are targeting.

In the FWIW dept., I'm guessing Divac does a total 180 degree turn from last year's strategy in which he waited until the very end for some bargains. It's very possible that Leonard and Durant could take their sweet time in making up their mind about what they want to do, in which case the teams thinking of bidding on their services are going to have their hands tied and their $$$ are going to be in suspension until Durant and Leonard make a decision. It's a perfect scenario for the Kings to swoop in immediately on 2nd tier FAs, make an offer, give them a few hours to make a decision, and go onto the next FA if they get rejected. If the Kings don't pounce immediately on their FA targets I fear the teams eventually rejected by Leonard and Durant are with all their cap $$$ will compete for the same FAs the Kings are targeting.
I'd like to see them go for broke - Bojan Bogdonovic and then Vucevic --- EuroCup 2020 - screw it! With Hield that puts at least 3 legitimate shooters on the floor, and Bagley and Fox have room to grow.