Harrison Barnes is opting out

Bringing Barnes back on a $17-18M contract would see that room shrink between $28M to $43M.
Bobby Marks added,

Bobby MarksVerified account @BobbyMarks42
Harrison Barnes has a $32.7M hold against the cap in Sacramento. If Barnes signs with a new team, Sacramento could have up to $60M in room (factors in no $14.1M Willie-Cauley-Stein hold).
12:19 PM - 18 Jun 2019

I am guessing the 43 mil cap number with Willie gone

Make an offer now Vlade!
I don't understand why we would keep that hold ($32.7 mil). He's not going to get the max and we have plenty of cap space, so there is no need to keep his bird rights and have that hold in place

After Barnes Opting Out
Bogdan Bogdanovic = $8,529,386
Marvin Bagley III = $8,556,120
Nemanja Bjelica = $6,825,000
De'Aaron Fox = $6,392,760
Buddy Hield = $4,861,208
Harry Giles = $2,578,800
Caleb Swanigan = $2,033,160
Matt Barnes (Stretched) = $2,133,541
Willie Cauley-Stein (Cap Hold)= $14,090,625
Yogi Ferrell (Team Option) = $3,150,000
Frank Mason (Team Option) = $1,618,520
Undrafted Rookie (Cap Hold) = $897,158
Total Payroll = $63,460,594
Salary Cap = $109,000,000
Cap Space = $45,539,406

Max Cap Space (No WCS, Ferrell, & Mason)
Bogdan Bogdanovic = $8,529,386
Marvin Bagley III = $8,556,120
Nemanja Bjelica = $6,825,000
De'Aaron Fox = $6,392,760
Buddy Hield = $4,861,208
Harry Giles = $2,578,800
Caleb Swanigan = $2,033,160
Matt Barnes (Stretched) = $2,133,541
Total Payroll = $47,292,923
Salary Cap = $109,000,000
Cap Space =
$61,707,077

Entity

Hall of Famer
So Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler, Harrison Barnes, Kawhi Leonard, Jabari Parker, Kris Middleton then it falls off a bit Bojan Bogdanavic, Wesley Matthews, Jeff Green, MCG, Rudy Gay???

$4/80 type of deal to Barnes is exactly how bad teams get in trouble. I didn't mind the $25 AAV next year because it wouldn't affect us long-term. But you're making a serious commitment to a guy over 4 years that limits your flexibility going forward for a player whose slightly above average.

So I was looking at 12 teams with practical cap space above 17 m to see who we might have to bid against:

I Ruled out:
Suns - have too many SF
Lakers- LeBron too many players for cap space
Bulls - Otto Porter
Pels - Ingram
Pacers - McDermott
Mavs - would not go back after traded mid-game
76rs - Simmons
Nets - Prince-need money for Irving
Knicks - Knox

That leaves - Clippers (If they got rid of Gallinari)

Magic - maybe they only have Iwndu and Frasier, cap space could use Gordon, but they have the bucks

Hawks - only have rookie Bembry, have cap space but have a ton of players they want to keep in FA

I think we are a better team than Magic/Hawks that Barnes would prefer

i am not sure if there will be a huge demand in FA for 28 mil SF
But would still prefer to lock him in now

So Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler, Harrison Barnes, Kawhi Leonard, Jabari Parker, Kris Middleton then it falls off a bit Bojan Bogdanavic, Wesley Matthews, Jeff Green, MCG, Rudy Gay???
Take Parker out of that top tier and swap him with Bojan. Bojan has become a lights out shooter and good player despite his terrible defense.

Gay actually had a really good year in his role in San Antonio. Scored efficiently and rebounded at a career rate. Just isn't the scorer he used to be.

Entity

Hall of Famer
What is this crap i'm seeing about Gordon Hayward? S&T with Boston for WCS? Hayward 32 mil next year then 34 mil. Id rather pay Barnes the 25 mil. geez

What is this crap i'm seeing about Gordon Hayward? S&T with Boston for WCS? Hayward 32 mil next year then 34 mil. Id rather pay Barnes the 25 mil. geez
If they want to attach a couple firsts, i'd be down for it. Hayward is a shell, but still starter quality wing.

I'd imagine with him opting out, he had word with Kings personnel behind closed doors that they are interested in signing him to a longer deal. Regardless, if the Kings play this free agency right, they can considerably get themselves into Playoff contention next season
I think this is a logical reason for him opting out. I think Vlade had allude to wanting to re-work a longer term deal with Barnes before.

Something like a 4 year/$80 million contract may get both sides a fair deal.

Basically, we get Barnes next year at a discounted rate of $20 million, instead of $25 million. That $5 million savings spread over the next 3 years of the contract, it would be like the Kings got Barnes for $25 million year one (original contract), and $18.33 million per year for years 2 to 4.

The Kings saved some cap space this year and locked up Barnes for 4 years. Barnes gets the security of a long term contract and he gives up a little bit this year.

2 of the top FAs of this class recently suffered major injury blows that might keep them out whole or most of next season. There are several teams flush with cash, many of whom need to act quickly (Lakers certainly, even Clippers, Knicks to a great extent). There are relatively few top quality FAs changing teams (Leonard might re-sign with Raptors, or might consider Clippers; Boogie might return to Warriors, since he is coming off a major injury and Ws need him). With many teams and few FAs, they'll get paid. I think this is what Barnes and his agent thought. Next year, situation might not be so good.

That said, we should certainly try to re-sign him. We have had questions at the 3 position since Rudy left. We got a credible presence there in Barnes, and need to keep him. Given that we changed our coach, might lose Willie, and will likely have no major additions next year, we can't afford even more flux. The teams above us are not slipping out of contention for playoffs, and several teams below us made concrete moves to move up. A serious bid for the post season at our end requires us to keep Barnes (unless we are chasing someone like Harris). The two issues are
1. The obvious one. How much is he worth, and for how many years? We have to soon pay our young superteam. Overpaying Barnes now will hurt us later.
2. An equally troubling one (for me at least), is the desire to slot him at 4. That's a position of least need for us, and we need him to play the 3 as much as possible.

This really helps us cap wise, cuz he ain’t getting 25 million a year. Now we can either bring him back (there’s interest on both sides) or chase the Tobias’ of the world and Al Horford who has also just declined his option
If they're going to go Horford, they might as well go for Vucevic - probably be picked up for similar salary and several years younger.

I’d overpay Bogdanovic before I payed Barnes at a reasonable rate
I might've said that coming into last season, but he took a partial step back overall last season which was disappointing- I think it may have been him trying to do too much, so it may be correctable. Lots of bad turnovers and poor shot selections along with over-dribbling..

I like Bojan Bogdanavic as a value pickup - wasn't expecting Barnes leaving....he wants a long-term contract after seeing the major injuries to top players.