[Game] Kings v. Suns - Saturday, March 23 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Good luck trading that huge contract!
he is still young and has upside, it's just the Suns losing, head coaching carousel and internal franchise turmoil has made him into the player he currently is, in my opinion. It's basically the same situation Boogie had to go through in his tenure here.

Just want to say how much I respect Kosta. He rarely gets his name called anymore, and yet he’s always ready and always supportive of his teammates. All of them. And when he is called, he grabs his lunchpail and goes to work. He gives us what he’s got. He’s like the opposite of Willie.

Yes, he did. But I really want to see a show like "Christie's Tutorial" or "Go to School with Christie" in which he actually shows you, for example, what the Kings should have done defensively in the Nets' debacle that they didn't do. He mentioned in the radio broadcast that he thought Bjelica should have been pressuring Russell just off of the screener instead of playing near the basket. I think it would be very educational to see him demonstrate some of the finer points of the game.
re pressuring off the screen, I think they did this vs Dallas and Phoenix. When it worked really well it would basically look like a pressure/double team of the ball handler and when both the drive and the pass were denied the defense would use the right moment to match up man to man. when it worked less well it would end up in a switch with Bjelica on the ball handler up high. however even that was better as the defense could set in the back for help, and it was not the ball handler driving past Bjelica already deep in the paint without any help possible...

Huh? Giles and Bagley are supposed to be the future frontline. Those are the upgrades, unless you want to keep one of them on the bench. Then you are looking at an all-star level free agent, unless your point is that both guys are PFs.

Neither of them have the shot to space the floor consistently like a true "stretch" big. Giles still is hesitant to fire 17 footers. Bagley too, as he looks to attack the basket unless he's already standing outside the line and is wide open. Being able to hit a shot is a much different thing than being an offensive threat from that range. Nemanja is the second best deep shooter on the team behind Buddy, who is one of the league's best.

Now, if the idea is playing them both at the 4, and picking up a very good center to go along with them, then that's not a bad idea. Bagley can split minutes between the 4 and 5 as well, but he will have a tough time against the bigger and better centers of the game. If we got a guy like Valanciunas I think it would allow Bagley to out-play the forward they put on him, but it won't stretch the floor. However, with two players of that calibre, they will feast on single defenders. What will end up happening is Bagley will start to get doubled, and when that happens, you don't need a stretch big to space the floor, because the defense is already askew with the double. Ball movement will result in an open shot or ability to break it down and get to the rim.

Nemanja doesn't need to be replaced, he just needs to come off the bench if the team upgrades to a better center. I would much rather they go after a quality center than waste money chasing a guy like Mirotic or Tobias Harris which would force Giles and Bagley to play out of position.
Yeah Bjelica off the bench is the idea. Bagley adding range solves all but that will be a work in progress.

A legit stretch 5 with Bagley next to him is the dream starting line up. Giles and bjelica to support from the bench

Last edited by a moderator:
He was signed in Philly. Not really a foot out of the league. He was choosing to go to Europe as he wanted more stability.

Bagley or Giles is that next legit PF. They have to be able to extend their game to 3.
The league didn't express much interest beyond the mid level that Philly offered and only one year to boot. That's a foot out of the league for me

Kingster

Hall of Famer
re pressuring off the screen, I think they did this vs Dallas and Phoenix. When it worked really well it would basically look like a pressure/double team of the ball handler and when both the drive and the pass were denied the defense would use the right moment to match up man to man. when it worked less well it would end up in a switch with Bjelica on the ball handler up high. however even that was better as the defense could set in the back for help, and it was not the ball handler driving past Bjelica already deep in the paint without any help possible...
It sounds like what you're telling me is either the Kings' players did what they were told correctly in the Dallas and Phoenix game, but not in the Nets game, or Joerger might have changed the way he wanted them to handle those situations going forward after the Nets game. Thanks for the info.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think the Suns are a better team without Booker chucking up shot after shot whether it's a good shot or not. If I'm the new Suns GM in the offseason, I'd test the trade market for Booker and re-sign Oubre. He helped the Suns get some big wins this season.
I hope the Suns aren't very interested in re-signing Holmes. I want him on the Kings' badly. He's the competitive high-energy guy this team needs to have coming off the bench.

It sounds like what you're telling me is either the Kings' players did what they were told correctly in the Dallas and Phoenix game, but not in the Nets game, or Joerger might have changed the way he wanted them to handle those situations going forward after the Nets game. Thanks for the info.
to me it looked different how they defended the pick and roll when Bjelica was involved. maybe it was an adjustment t hide Bjelica's lack of foot speed, or maybe it was just a matchup thing as I've seen teams defend Doncic like that before. I'll pay attention tonight and see if they defend PNR differently when Bjelica is doing it vs lets say WCS, or whether I'm just seeing things... :).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Saw Jimmer n Mikal at the Sawyer prior to the game. Jammer looks like he’s slimmed down considerably. Mikal is a legit 6’8.

Ayton is shorter than WCS. Same size, same athleticism. There is just no explainable reason for WCS to have zero, ZERO rebounds.

Booker is better than Buddy. Better handles, more dynamic. Is ball dominant n has a bit too much boogie in him, Fix the latter two issues n there’s no reason why he can’t be a top 3 two guard in the league.

Barnes was a beast. Perfect fit for our young core.

Refs sucked. They missed so many calls.

Yogi refused to drop the ball in the paint to Bags. Over dribbled. Joeger called a TO n was giving him sh*t while he was coming to the bench. Yogi never saw the court again. He’s sucked for a while now. Dude is playing too much ISO ball.

Bags works his ass off in the paint. Constant banging n movement. Put on some weight n can easily see him high on the list of players who others hate playing against.
There's only one area where Booker is better than Buddy, and that's passing the ball. His handles are a little better, but Buddy is catching up in both those areas. Buddy is better in every other aspect of the game. Booker shoots 45.4% overall. Buddy shoots 46.1% overall. Booker shoots 32.0% from the three. Buddy shoots 43.2% from the three. Booker grabs 4.2 rebounds a game. Buddy grabs 5.2 rebounds a game. Buddy is a far superior defender than Booker who plays very little defense. Booker is a volume shooter, who also gets to the line a bit more than Buddy, and that's basically the difference in their ppg. However, Buddy had improved in that area from last year.

Soooo, I'm not sure that Booker is the far better player. I'm not sure he's even a better player period. He takes a lot of contested shots, which explains his poor 3pt shooting percentage. I think if Booker improved his shot selection his percentages would go up. Of course it doesn't help that he's the focus of the other teams defense on most nights. In other words, he needs some help.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I hope the Suns aren't very interested in re-signing Holmes. I want him on the Kings' badly. He's the competitive high-energy guy this team needs to have coming off the bench.
Holmes is going to be an unrestricted freeagent, so he'll probably go to the highest bidder, which could be us. He's one of the players on my list along with Patrick Beverly.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
WCS's free throw percentage:

Yr. 1: 64.8%
Yr. 2: 66.9%
Yr. 3: 61.9%
Yr. 4: 53.2%

I find the decline in FT percentage very disturbing for a young player. You want to see progress, not regress, over time. I can't imagine Divac is on board with paying big $ for that.
Most of my interest in last nights game was focused on when Willie would wake up and realize he was in a basketball game.

Uh, not to me he isn’t. Every year we hear how great Devin Booker is and every year PHX is at the very bottom of the standings. Doesn’t the dude have to start winning at least a little bit before he’s considered better than players that win more than he does? SMH.

Booker is a volume scorer and a chucker. Yes, he’s a very good shooter, but often suffers from poor shot selection, and, as you already said, can be a black hole.

Still, Buddy is still a better shooter (I didn’t say ‘scorer’), makes a ton more hustle plays (including grabbing timely rebounds) and plays much better defense. Booker is strictly one-dimensional (offense only). Always has been.
Concur. I’d trade Booker to the Lakers for Ball/Kuzma—get a couple guys that can actually complement Ayton. Booker is channeling Boogie in one of the all-time freeze outs of a promising rookie. I feel like everytime I see the Suns Ayton goes 7-9 with 17 pts and 11ish boards, while Booker goes 11-28 or something else AI or Kobe level of chucking. I think Booker’s ruined for Phoenix; they’ll never get the genie back in the bottle. I’d move on with Ayton and Bridges as the core remaining guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.