Bogi's Slump

Initially said instantly, but then changed my mind... only if there’s a prospect you really like.

I really don’t think Bogi is this bad, so the only way to go is up.
Someone was asking about the Minny pick which is going to be better than that, but I started thinking. He probably has peak value as far as the draft is concerned right now.

Would be a hard choice, because when he is on to me he looks like a poor mans Manu.

I'm also wondering about team fit, our coach, roster construction.

So I guess the answer for me would be the same, well if Vlade really liked a particular prospect would also be my answer.

Good news is we still have the rest of the season to see if he breaks out of this slump.

It's not just Bogs's shot. Christie rightfully used the word, "engaged" a few games back when referring to Bogs, as in he's not engaged. In the game (I think it was the Wizards) Christie was referring to Bogs having no idea where the ball was on the court (he was just looking at the man he was coering) and as a result he was oblivious when the opposing player went in for a layup a few feet from him. In the last game there was a play in which Bogs was near the basket and just watched the ball bounce on the floor about 8-10 feet from him after a Philly player's shot careened off the rim. Of course a Philly player went and scooped it up and made a layup. To me, Bogs is getting dangerously close to the "checked out" category. Maybe his bad offense is demoralizing him in other aspects of the game; it's hard to tell what's behind it all.
Two things—it seems Bogi has been hurt all year. I won’t be surprised if we find out after the season that he had mild plantar fascitis all year, or gets his knee scoped to clean up a meniscus tear. Something that he can play through, but hinders his movement.

Second, Bogi is not a “checked out” player. He’s played for some of the toughest coaches in the world, and maintains hyper focus. Pop loves the guy. But, Bogi’s role and instructions have been yanked around all year. Now, he’s getting hung out to dry on the Durants of the world—when we just acquired Harrison Barnes!

1. If there is an injury, it's questionable to let a guy flounder through it all year to the detriment of the team.

2. The more likely explanation is that he's a good player who doesn't quite fit what we need. He looked really good on a bad team that played a methodical, slow paced, half court style last year. Looks average on a really good, fast paced team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Two things—it seems Bogi has been hurt all year. I won’t be surprised if we find out after the season that he had mild plantar fascitis all year, or gets his knee scoped to clean up a meniscus tear. Something that he can play through, but hinders his movement.

Second, Bogi is not a “checked out” player. He’s played for some of the toughest coaches in the world, and maintains hyper focus. Pop loves the guy. But, Bogi’s role and instructions have been yanked around all year. Now, he’s getting hung out to dry on the Durants of the world—when we just acquired Harrison Barnes!
First, we don't know what has been going on with Bogs physically. Remember all the speculation last year about him being tired because of playing in Europe? And now there is speculation this year about reasons behind his poor play. That's two freaking years of speculation/excuses on his poor play! Here's a guy who is 26 years old and has been playing for the last two years like he's 34 years old. Enough with the speculation. I'm just looking at the very ragged inconsistent play over the last two years. It's up to Divac to get to the bottom of it. Are these things going to continue to occur? If not, why not? Is Bogs injury prone? Does he have the athleticism or not to overcome the fatigue and nicks and pains of an ordinary NBA season? Can he be counted on going forward?

By the way, I gave two examples of a player who is not engaged. Watching a ball bounce on the court within eight feet or so from you is not engaged. Not keeping track of man and ball and having someone go in for a layup while your back is turned is not engaged. Regarding Durant and Barnes - what are you even talking about?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding Durant and Barnes - what are you even talking about?
I believe this is in reference to starting Bogi at the SF spot when the lineup was Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, and Cauley-Stein. It was a bad experiment and every team the Kings faced with a decent SF went right at him offensively. When it was the Warriors and Durant it was just ugly.

I've been disappointed in Bogi's play this year and I hope he has a strong finish to the season. But I think going forward that he's clearly best suited as a reserve where he can be a shooter and playmaker off the bench. Next season it will be interesting to watch him because it will be a contract year for both he and Buddy. I don't know that the Kings will re-sign both of them. In that sense it may be the right move to see what he would net in a trade this offseason.

By the way, I gave two examples of a player who is not engaged. Watching a ball bounce on the court within eight feet or so from you is not engaged. Not keeping track of man and ball and having someone go in for a layup while your back is turned is not engaged. Regarding Durant and Barnes - what are you even talking about?
You gave examples of two mistakes. Not being engaged is not an action on one play or the other, it is a general approach to the game. For example, Fox had 6 turnovers in that game you cited and at least 4 of them were just plain mental mistakes, carelessness, not paying attention. You could list those examples and conclude that Fox is a disengaged player, which would be a wrong conclusion.

^^There’s been times when I’ve yelled at Bogi for just ball watching rebounds and loose balls. So it’s not just Christie seeing it.
I'm still looking for these comments by Christie that you guys seem to be referring to, but have not found them yet. Did not have much time so I only finished half of Boston game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You gave examples of two mistakes. Not being engaged is not an action on one play or the other, it is a general approach to the game. For example, Fox had 6 turnovers in that game you cited and at least 4 of them were just plain mental mistakes, carelessness, not paying attention. You could list those examples and conclude that Fox is a disengaged player, which would be a wrong conclusion.
I think Christie knows what being engaged is. When you lose track of ball of man, when you aren't keeping track of a nearby rebound, that's not being engaged.

Why bunch of people keep insisting that Bogdan is playing injured throughout this season on various topics across the message board? Why would they let him play injured? Why would he risk his career, contract, performance by playing injured?

Guys break legs and what not and then come back to hustle after 6-8 months. His injury was minor compared to that, so I don't buy that story. He's just not playing well and can't seem to find the way to get back on track. Coach has his fault here too.

I'd consider trading him in the offseason. Perhaps we could trade him and WCS and get a pretty good player.

Bogi has looked better recently as a back up 2 guard. Shot is still off as is his playmaking. I hope he gets it together as he has shown he is better than his play this season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Don’t think Bogie got suddenly stupid. Coach is pushing him into roles in which he isn’t comfortable and as a result has looked bad.
Idk... Why did he play like vintage Bogi in one Nets half before flipping the switch to “other Bogi” and singlehandledly giving the Nets 100% momentum in the next? I think it shows he’s choosing to play like that, and obviously Coach is a-okay with it.

I think he looked alot better last year with the slower pace and all his euro hoop is starting to catch up with him. Wouldn't be the worst idea to shop him this summer for a better fitting player.

I have him on my fantasy team, season ends next week.. he is not playing great, but has a lot of games these days and I hesitate trading him... i feel he is gonna have few good games soon

Idk... Why did he play like vintage Bogi in one Nets half before flipping the switch to “other Bogi” and singlehandledly giving the Nets 100% momentum in the next? I think it shows he’s choosing to play like that, and obviously Coach is a-okay with it.
Coached talked about Bogi being uncomfortable with the change early in the year. I think Coach is more than a-okay with it.

Going off memory from last year Bogi looks a lot slower. Those knee surgeries took a step away from him. Or its related. I dont see this being a pace issue as it's in the half court sets where he is dramatically less effective. No lift around rim when he gets inside. Shots just clang off the front iron.

Kings should shut him down for rest of the year. Not like team would be loosing production.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
watching Bogdanovic is painful. He is so stiff and slow out there that there is nothing he can do on either side of the ball to really help this team. I'd rather let Burks get his minutes at this point. He may be broken, hopefully not. Him losing some weight and getting lighter and faster would do his knees some good, in my opinion.

Going off memory from last year Bogi looks a lot slower. Those knee surgeries took a step away from him. Or its related. I dont see this being a pace issue as it's in the half court sets where he is dramatically less effective. No lift around rim when he gets inside. Shots just clang off the front iron.

Kings should shut him down for rest of the year. Not like team would be loosing production.
I had artroscopy on my jumping knee. After recovery I started to play bbl and I played terrible because I didn't trust my knee. Passed open layups because I was afraid to jump. Did not even try to drive. I rushed outside shots. It was all mental. It took me a year to forget about surgery and start playing my normal game. Bogdan had two surgeries before the season. It might be the same problem.

I had artroscopy on my jumping knee. After recovery I started to play bbl and I played terrible because I didn't trust my knee. Passed open layups because I was afraid to jump. Did not even try to drive. I rushed outside shots. It was all mental. It took me a year to forget about surgery and start playing my normal game. Bogdan had two surgeries before the season. It might be the same problem.
It could be. What is worse is he developed the problem playing meaningless minutes at the end of the season when he was clearly exhausted.

Just horrible management by the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have Bogs on my keeper fantasy team. He wasn't like this at the beginning of the season. Whatever problem he may have happened once the season started, not at the end of last season.