Matt Barnes RIPS Grant Napear

This is what bugs me the most about Grant:

He acts like it's a compliment for a TEAM play-by-play guy to be so indifferent you cannot tell he's for the home team. Sorry, but that's for the TNT and ESPN guys. The KINGS announcer should be identifiable IMHO. This is part of the reason I don't think it's right to have him wearing two different hats (in our eyes). I suspect he thinks he's always Grant the Radio Guy.
A hundred precent agree. Mr. Napear has the loftiest of moral bearings as a True Professional™ play by play guy, yet on the radio he trashes our own fans and has used his platform to humiliate players and slander them, and sow division. He should be doing the exact opposite. He should be BIASED (toward the Kings) while doing pbp, and attempt the more nuanced, professional analysis on the the radio, and show basic courtesy. Grant seems to have a lust for blood that needs satisfying at unpredictable times. Unfortunately, he's essentially unfireable at this point. I'm just glad he has a godly man to babysit him now. Grant should publicly apologize for each and every hatchet job he's performed against our players and fans, and he could, if he wanted, attribute his "new perspective" to Doug's influence. He should also ask forgiveness PUBLICLY of Bobby Jackson, Chris Webber, and any other player he's trashed. There's a way forward here where he can save face. The thing is he is technically very good at the TV stuff, and enough of the fanbase only knows him from that (vast majority not radio listeners), and he's vindictive enough that if he was fired from the Kings, he'd work to undermine the org for the rest of his life. It's definitely a weird little niche he's carved out for himself.

Drugs and alcohol changes the wiring in some people's brains, like Barnes.
I don't live in Sacramento but Napear is fine if you ask me. He cares about the Kings and watches them all the time. He asks a lot of questions, but has Christie to keep in line if he gets off target very far.

Drugs and alcohol changes the wiring in some people's brains, like Barnes.
I don't live in Sacramento but Napear is fine if you ask me.
Which is why you lack proper context. Peaches has burned a lot of bridges over the years with what he says on his daily radio show then acts differently in person as an employee of of the KINGS. He's as two-faced as it gets.

Barnes is spot on and is not the only NBA'er that recognizes the behavior and has called him out on it.

BTW, the drugs and alcohol comment is unwarranted and lame. I'm sure you'd feel that way if someone cited it as a reason for your take.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Mod Mode engaged]

That OP link doesn't work for me. Did something get deleted?
Nah, it's still there. The link was intentionally broken up, because it's NSFW. You can't provide a direct link to NSFW content here. We tend to discourage posting any at all, as a general practice, but this one had to do with the Kings, so it was allowed.

Copy and paste the link to your address bar, and then take all the spaces out.

I hope radio Grant never leaks out as more than that. He has a ton of hot takes that are ridiculous bad. To his credit, you would've never guessed he was such a big-douche just from his commentating. I love Grant the announcer, but everything else? I'm ducking.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Grant has had a real crappy attitude toward the team this year as well. I wonder if he doesn't enjoy working with Doug? Grant don't agree with some of the things Doug says sometimes. To me i wanna listen to the guy that has been in the trenches. That guy knows whats happening.

Can you sum it up for us? What did the caller roast him about? I know it’s been a long while, but thought you might recall.
I can't even really remember. I think part of it had to do with his looks and how they don't match up with his hot wife but I can't recall any specifics at all. It was basically a minute long run on sentence that was one roast after another.

Grant has had a real crappy attitude toward the team this year as well. I wonder if he doesn't enjoy working with Doug? Grant don't agree with some of the things Doug says sometimes. To me i wanna listen to the guy that has been in the trenches. That guy knows whats happening.
Doug doesn't cater to Grant's 1950s Hickory High prism on basketball--Doug likes it when our players get physical and doesn't care too much about techs, etc., as long as they are not end-of-game situations.

I listen to 1140 quite a bit. In what way is Grant's attitude toward this years team crappy? Maybe I missed something, I haven't heard that at all.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I listen to 1140 quite a bit. In what way is Grant's attitude toward this years team crappy? Maybe I missed something, I haven't heard that at all.
during the games. he really focuses on mistakes this year. he hasn't done that the past 10 years

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
during the games. he really focuses on mistakes this year. he hasn't done that the past 10 years
I've bashed Grant as much as almost anyone here and more than a lot of you. I do not agree that Grant has a crappy attitude towards the team. If anything, he's being more critical because our guys are capable of doing better than what we sometimes see. The Kings are young and it's pretty obvious that they get carried away at times and forget the fundamentals. He often says just what I'm screaming at the screen.

I've bashed Grant as much as almost anyone here and more than a lot of you. I do not agree that Grant has a crappy attitude towards the team. If anything, he's being more critical because our guys are capable of doing better than what we sometimes see. The Kings are young and it's pretty obvious that they get carried away at times and forget the fundamentals. He often says just what I'm screaming at the screen.
This x100

He doesnt have a crappy attitude towards the team, I agree. Hes actually being very optimistic with a strict eye toward realistic with this current team. He likes them but he isnt going overboard optimistically. He is actually (dare I say it) doing a really good job at present.

He doesnt have a crappy attitude towards the team, I agree. Hes actually being very optimistic with a strict eye toward realistic with this current team. He likes them but he isnt going overboard optimistically. He is actually (dare I say it) doing a really good job at present.
The other day he said that he sees the Kings having a good chance at 50 wins next season. That's a crappy attitude I can live with.