Sleeptrain Arena could be a new zoo for Sacramento

I support the idea of moving the zoo to the old ARCO site. I think it’s a great idea. But from recent reports I’ve read online, it seems Vivek/KINGS have their own ideas — namely more businesses — which I believe would be a big mistake. As one of the responses in the FB thread says, Natomas doesn’t need more empty buildings and strip malls.

I sure hope they go a different route. If not a relocated and much larger zoo — I’d rather see it become a hospital or education hub of some sort. Anything but more office/retail buildings.

Im sympathetic to animals needing more space, but I hope they are not moving the zoo to natomas. It is a great asset to the area where it currently is located and it would be a shame to lose it. It’s a great little zoo with a lot of great memories in that spot. At minimum, i would like to see it stay as a small children’s zoo or something like that.

They should turn it into a giant planetarium representing the cosmos. Make a world class planetarium as well as exploratorium for all ages exhibiting natural history like dinosaurs and all kinds of cool things for people of all ages to learn.

Could also flood t bg e bottom and make a swamp alligator exhibit

Im sympathetic to animals needing more space, but I hope they are not moving the zoo to natomas. It is a great asset to the area where it currently is located and it would be a shame to lose it. It’s a great little zoo with a lot of great memories in that spot. At minimum, i would like to see it stay as a small children’s zoo or something like that.
I get what you're saying, but the ZOO is simply losing a lot of its attractions and can't obtain new ones because they don't have the space. And the animals that are there aren't living in the best of conditions.

Back 30 years ago, the current location was fine. Just like the old ARCO barn was more than suitable for the NBA at that same time. But times change. Neither facility is remotely close to the standards of today.

I'm not suggesting that the ZOO has to go to Natomas, but a larger site is needed -- somewhere. Why not the old Natomas site?

In its current spot it boosts the local land values, and is easily located in the central city area and is accessible by public transport. It seems like our goal as a city is urband infill and making good use of central city land, not moving it out to more suburban areas.

But yes I agree that it is too small for larger animals. At the risk of derailing the whole conversation, I saw that the golf course across the street has been losing money. Why not use that space? Personally I would be in favor and the zoo could probably double if not triple it’s size. Of course that’s just me pulling possibilities out of my rear end. I’d like to see alternatives to natomas that are more centrally located.

In its current spot it boosts the local land values, and is easily located in the central city area and is accessible by public transport. It seems like our goal as a city is urband infill and making good use of central city land, not moving it out to more suburban areas.

But yes I agree that it is too small for larger animals. At the risk of derailing the whole conversation, I saw that the golf course across the street has been losing money. Why not use that space? Personally I would be in favor and the zoo could probably double if not triple it’s size. Of course that’s just me pulling possibilities out of my rear end. I’d like to see alternatives to natomas that are more centrally located.
Any location that allows for growth and better living conditions for the animals is an improvement IMO. Like I said, doesn't have to be Natomas. I just like the idea because the ZOO needs the space and something needs to be done with the former ARCO site. Since the ZOO itself championed the Natomas idea, that was good enough for me. But I'm not married to it being at that location. You make some good points as well so if an alternative plan to keep it near the current location was to come into focus (while solving the current issues), I'd be ok with it too.

For those who don't live there and have never been there, how far away is Natomas from the current location of the zoo? I think MapQuest can give one answer but I always trust locals more.

For those who don't live there and have never been there, how far away is Natomas from the current location of the zoo? I think MapQuest can give one answer but I always trust locals more.
Well, a friend of mine from out of town used to joke that Sacramento locals would say everything is 15 minutes away no matter the distance. But, in this instance, I think 15 minutes is about right!

The current location and proposed site are completely different, though. I understand Natomas' interest in replacing the lost business traffic from the Kings (although did people really stop all that often on their way in/out of the Arco parking lot?), and I really sympathize with the need to modernize the zoo facilities, which are constrained by the current small site . It's too bad, though, given the Zoo's location in Land Park and across from Fairytale Town and Funderland, and a few blocks from Vic’s Ice cream, which provides somewhat of a one-stop-shop for families.

Last edited:
I'm indifferent, I just don't know how you replicate the old growth trees that are at the current zoo. Moving and expanding the footprint seem like extremely expensive tasks.

I would close the zoo personally, sure there are great memories but its outdated. Same with Funderland there is simply no attraction to go there. I would tear both sites down and double down on making it a great sports & rec area with modernized outdoor theatre sites and bells and whistles like water fountains for the kids to play ect ect.

That golf course brings in more revenue than the zoo as does Funderland and Fairytaletown. and NO, the zoo does not boost land values in land park and I'm sure any developer would drool at the opportunity to build houses or retail space there. The idea of getting a modern ZOO would be amazing and an actual attraction Sacramento would be proud of. I know i never recommend out of towners to visit there because its depressing and out of date. I hope they make a change!

That golf course brings in more revenue than the zoo as does Funderland and Fairytaletown. and NO, the zoo does not boost land values in land park and I'm sure any developer would drool at the opportunity to build houses or retail space there. The idea of getting a modern ZOO would be amazing and an actual attraction Sacramento would be proud of. I know i never recommend out of towners to visit there because its depressing and out of date. I hope they make a change!

First Tee was operating the golf course at a loss for many years despite city subsidies. Here is an article about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article212406989.html

You think prospective buyers in the area looking to buy a house aren’t paying more knowing that there are great amenities nearby? Seriously? Look at house listings for the area. Every real estate agent mentions the zoo being nearby.

Also, there’s nothing depressing about thr zoo. I’ve been a member for years.

First Tee was operating the golf course at a loss for many years despite city subsidies. Here is an article about it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article212406989.html

You think prospective buyers in the area looking to buy a house aren’t paying more knowing that there are great amenities nearby? Seriously? Look at house listings for the area. Every real estate agent mentions the zoo being nearby.

Also, there’s nothing depressing about thr zoo. I’ve been a member for years.
I dont believe its a real selling point its really an afterthought in these times. It's the neighborhood itself that's desirable.

Angelique Ashby is on record saying she wants the zoo in the old arco spot and not just more housing. Why does she want it there if it doesn’t add to the neighborhood?? Of course it adds value to the existing houses and neighborhood.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Angelique Ashby is on record saying she wants the zoo in the old arco spot and not just more housing. Why does she want it there if it doesn’t add to the neighborhood?? Of course it adds value to the existing houses and neighborhood.
She is on record saying that she doesn't want just housing but a jobs and trip generator to pull people to visit and spend money in the Natomas area. Apparently she views this as a compatible project with her views.

She is on record saying that she doesn't want just housing but a jobs and trip generator to pull people to visit and spend money in the Natomas area. Apparently she views this as a compatible project with her views.
The quote I was referencing was from this article where Ashby says she doesn’t want only housing at the site.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/business/article221297915.html

In any event, if she said that, it underscores the point. Having an economic generator nearby that is a unique amenity is going to help a neighborhood thrive. She wants it because it will help natomas and her constituents. I’d like to see if stay in the central city.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I grew up going to the Sacramento Zoo, starting a very long time ago. It really needs a new home where habitats can be better styled to suit the animals and allow better educational opportunities for zoo visitors. Natomas is a viable option, and has the surrounding businesses to support and enhance the zoo experience.

I support the idea of moving the zoo to the old ARCO site. I think it’s a great idea. But from recent reports I’ve read online, it seems Vivek/KINGS have their own ideas — namely more businesses — which I believe would be a big mistake. As one of the responses in the FB thread says, Natomas doesn’t need more empty buildings and strip malls.

I sure hope they go a different route. If not a relocated and much larger zoo — I’d rather see it become a hospital or education hub of some sort. Anything but more office/retail buildings.
I think Natomas could benefit if they built an outlet there. The closest ones to Sacramento are Vacaville and Folsom which are 30-40mins away depending on which side of I5/99 you're in.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I think Natomas could benefit if they built an outlet there. The closest ones to Sacramento are Vacaville and Folsom which are 30-40mins away depending on which side of I5/99 you're in.
They were trying to build an outlet mall in Elk Grove for that reason and it's been dubbed the Ghost Mall for a decade, with partially-constructed buildings that look perfect for playing paintball or filming a zombie apocalypse movie.

http://www.egcitizen.com/news/devel...cle_02535292-fe3c-11e8-8d68-d3bc233c30fe.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacrame...t-agreement-for-outlet-collection-at-elk.html

1547303558419.png

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
In any event, if she said that, it underscores the point. Having an economic generator nearby that is a unique amenity is going to help a neighborhood thrive. She wants it because it will help natomas and her constituents. I’d like to see if stay in the central city.
I wasn't referring to any particular article but rather all the City Council meetings I had attended as part of Crown Downtown in an effort to help get the G1C built. ;)

She has been consistent and unwavering in her support of a arena, but that had to be coupled with redevelopment of the Natomas site with something such as a hospital, college campus, tech center, or other jobs and activity generator.

She has been consistent and unwavering in her support of a arena, but that had to be coupled with redevelopment of the Natomas site with something such as a hospital, college campus, tech center, or other jobs and activity generator.
To me, this is the most important part. Something other than more housing (in a flood zone no less) and strip mall businesses. A relocated ZOO would be one option. But I'd be down for anything fitting within the categories bolded above.

It's coming up on 3 years that the site has been vacant. They need to get momentum rolling on something.