SF Trades

Amazing what a name brand can do for you. Wiggins is a negative player on a $5mil/season deal, it'd be absolute madness to bail out the Wolves from paying him the $30 mil/season he's owed for the next 5 seasons. I have no idea why some want to acquire a wing who doesn't rebound, doesn't defend, doesn't create for his teammates, takes low % shots, and hogs a ton of usage
I certainly understand all of that, and personally I'm not in love with Wiggins' game....HOWEVER, the argument for a trade like that is that he is a superior physical talent who in college actually was a very solid defensive wing. There is a greater than zero chance (do you like those odds? :cool:) that Thibs and the t-wolves environment has been the worst possible spot for him, and that his talent is just waiting for a change of scenery. It's the ultimate swing for the fences shot at a home run, and if it goes out of the park pushes this Kings team over the top into the upper echelon. It's our aging Mitch Richmond for Chris Webber trade..... I still say you NEVER save cap space in Sacramento for the hope of a free agency signing. Regardless of how much we see the team as up and coming and they talk about the "brotherhood" among the players.

With that said, I would be scared as hell that the player you see now is the player you get. And, after this many years in the league, is he now the player that he's always going to be?

I wonder if there is anything we could offer (Skal/Jackson) to the Brooklyn Nets for Joe Harris he would be a dynamite fit with his elite off the ball movement and spot up shooting like a far more athletic Kyle Korver and he's not bad at getting to the rim but never draws fouls. Maybe if they think (rightfully so) that the Latvian rookie they got they can really develop they might move Crabbe or Harris both good fits but Crabbe being to expensive I guess.

I wonder if there is anything we could offer (Skal/Jackson) to the Brooklyn Nets for Joe Harris he would be a dynamite fit with his elite off the ball movement and spot up shooting like a far more athletic Kyle Korver and he's not bad at getting to the rim but never draws fouls. Maybe if they think (rightfully so) that the Latvian rookie they got they can really develop they might move Crabbe or Harris both good fits but Crabbe being to expensive I guess.
Harris would be a really good fit at SF for us. Maybe we should be looking for someone better, but if we could get him without giving up too much, I'd be all over it.

I said earlier in the season we should go after TJ Warren who has comeback this year with a added 3 point shot lets assume (I doubt the Suns do the trade) for a second that the Suns would have interest in say Harry Giles or even WCS would we be willing to do Harry Giles + maybe Jackson or whatever filler (2nd rounders) for a guy who's making max $12 million per season and is signed until the 2021/2022 season. The guy is not great on D but is elite in the open floor (imagine him running with Bagley and Fox) and getting to the rim plus the added 3 point shot as mentioned would give us another guy who can drop 20.

Warren is as good value contract as your going to get in the NBA for a starting SF (yeah he's had to play some/mainly PF this year) he will literally be making half or less than half than guys who are not more talented or productive (might be better fits for us) like Wiggins/Porter/Batum and Middleton and Harris will be making way more, even the Croatian Bogie will probably be getting more than TJ. He would bring a lot of what LaVine would have on a smaller salary but he's way less ball dominate and can score without the ball way better while being a legit sized SF.

Last edited:
I trust Vlade to do the right thing and really hope he just doesn’t blow it. We have the money and position to trade for a high caliber player.

We need a all star or at least that second tier starter at SF but Wiggins contract is a problem.

If Vlade goes that way he better be sure that’s the player that will be the missing piece of the puzzle.

His usage is a problem unless it was caused by the system or having to feel like he’s needed to score.

If we can keep Shumpert and our core youth man that just could be a scary team.

It’s the ultimate swing for the fences shot at a home run, and if it goes out of the park pushes this Kings team over the top into the upper echelon.
But you’re swinging at a ball that has hit the ground 5 feet in front of the plate. Swing for the fences on a better opportunity. Play the odds.

Like I’ve mentioned before, I’ve floated the idea of acquiring both Porter and Hayward. Both get paid a lot per season like Wiggins but both have shown they contribute to winning basketball via their impact stats. Not to mention both are on shorter team deals that allow us the flexibility to keep Fox, Bagley, Hield, and Bogdanovic.

You could try to use the cap space on a free agent. As an up and coming team. as a team that wins more than they lose, as a fun & unselfish team to play for, it may be enough.

You could use the cap space to accumulate 1st round picks allowing us to swing for the fences in the draft without having to commit $150 mil to a player who hasn’t shown he can help a team win in 5 years.

There are a plethora of routes to take that are much, much better than acquiring Wiggins. He’s an unnnecessary risk we shouldn’t be taking. Let him be the Wolves problem and in the meantime we’ll continue to beat them year after because they don’t have enough cap to actually acquire good enough players around KAT to compete with us.

But you’re swinging at a ball that has hit the ground 5 feet in front of the plate. Swing for the fences on a better opportunity. Play the odds.

Like I’ve mentioned before, I’ve floated the idea of acquiring both Porter and Hayward. Both get paid a lot per season like Wiggins but both have shown they contribute to winning basketball via their impact stats. Not to mention both are on shorter team deals that allow us the flexibility to keep Fox, Bagley, Hield, and Bogdanovic.

You could try to use the cap space on a free agent. As an up and coming team. as a team that wins more than they lose, as a fun & unselfish team to play for, it may be enough.

You could use the cap space to accumulate 1st round picks allowing us to swing for the fences in the draft without having to commit $150 mil to a player who hasn’t shown he can help a team win in 5 years.

There are a plethora of routes to take that are much, much better than acquiring Wiggins. He’s an unnnecessary risk we shouldn’t be taking. Let him be the Wolves problem and in the meantime we’ll continue to beat them year after because they don’t have enough cap to actually acquire good enough players around KAT to compete with us.
Though I don't think Wolves would do a salary dump of Wiggins I can understand it. Why in the world would the Celtics dump Hayward when their goal is a championship. I'm not following the logic here. The only impact players Celtics won't be able to sign next year is Marcus Morris and Rozier. Rozier has made it clear that next contract he wants to be the teams starter. Obviously that won't happen with Irving in front of him, Celtics know that and will probably try to move him by the deadline.

Hayward is coming off a major injury where he missed literally an entire season, the last season he played he was an all star. A salary dump of Hayward makes no sense. If your going to swing for the fence swing for someone who may be available

Though I don't think Wolves would do a salary dump of Wiggins I can understand it. Why in the world would the Celtics dump Hayward when their goal is a championship. I'm not following the logic here. The only impact players Celtics won't be able to sign next year is Marcus Morris and Rozier. Rozier has made it clear that next contract he wants to be the teams starter. Obviously that won't happen with Irving in front of him, Celtics know that and will probably try to move him by the deadline.

Hayward is coming off a major injury where he missed literally an entire season, the last season he played he was an all star. A salary dump of Hayward makes no sense. If your going to swing for the fence swing for someone who may be available
If the Celtics say goodbye to Morris, Baynes (PO), Rozier (QO), Theis (QO), & Wanamaker (QO) and they resign Irving to the max (i believe it starts at 30% of the cap), they would have a payroll of $139 mil when taking into account the cap holds for the 1st rounders ($7 mil above the luxury cap) with the following roster:

PG - Irving / Smart
SG - Brown / Bird
SF - Hayward
PF - Tatum / Ojeleye / Yabusele
C - Horford / Williams
*2019 SAC 1st
*2019 MEM 1st
*2019 LAC 1st
*2019 BOS 1st

If Baynes opts in or any of those players are resigned, you're only increasing that luxury tax. At some point, Boston is going to have to make a decision on their assets.

The Hayward idea I mentioned would be a 2019 offseason trade. Reason being is that I doubt the Celtics would want to make a team better when they own their 1st round pick. However, Hayward may be someone that is on the table at that time if he continues to struggle through the remainder of the year, and having the ability to reset on that cap space while getting some assets (Jackson, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, 2020 SAC 1st) may be appealing offer in the future.

Looking short term, we somehow need to get a starting caliber SF without giving up any of our active rotation players.

We are a starting SF away from making the 7th/8th seed ours.

I trust Vlade to get it done. Pull someone from the obscurity of Europe if you have to Vlade !

I agree.. I think the Kings have reached a point where they need a total fix at SF, or, they remain patient with Bog's and Shumpert there until the right player comes along. That's if their intent right now is to win. I'm not saying they should go after some experienced 30 plus veteran, but they should be looking for a player that's ready to play now, and is still young enough to move forward with this group we have. A player like Rodney Hood, or Otto Porter, or Khris Middleton etc. Not saying we can or will acquire one of those players, but that they're and example of what we should be looking for. A plug and play player!
Tobias Harris is my hope. Ideally the Clippers spend all their cash on Kawhi and Durant and we sign Harris.

Guys, you have to look at the roster like this (From the FO standpoint)

Untradeable under virtually any circumstance

• Fox
  • Bagley

Untradeable unless there is a ridiculous offer and then we would probably have to wonder what underlying issue there is in there

• Bogi
  • Buddy
  • Giles

Tradeable in a very significant move

• Bjelica
  • Shumpert (crazy right? but he's so important right now to this team)

Category of his own, not sure where the FO see's his long term fit

• WCS

Young trade pieces
  • Yogi
  • JJ
  • Frank
  • Skal

Enders that they would love to include in salary cap deal

• Z-Bo
  • KK
  • BenMac

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think KK and WCS are linked but mostly agree with that. JJ and Frank will be career rotation players so they will be tough to move on their own but potentially get thrown in a dump. Like if we got Porter we'd send Z-Bo and Ben and then have to include JJ or Shump so they (Wash) have something to sell to the fans type of deal.

Tobias Harris is my hope. Ideally the Clippers spend all their cash on Kawhi and Durant and we sign Harris.
I would love that, even at a max salary. However, at this point I think he has gone from a guy that people respect as a really solid player that is generally underrated, to a much higher profile given how well the Clippers have played since he came over in the Griffin trade. I wouldn't say he's overrated now, but probably going to have more people bidding on his than he would have a year ago. He's definitely not a superstar -- I don't get the impression that he needs to be the alpha dog. However, he does everything pretty well, puts the ball in the basket at an efficient rate, seems like a good teammate, etc. I think he would be a great fit, but I wouldn't count on him signing here unless we get so much momentum with our play going into the offseason that he sees himself as pushing us over the top. He's already been shipped around in his career on a number of good to very good teams, but never really a great team. I could see him being fairly picky.

Guys, you have to look at the roster like this (From the FO standpoint)

Untradeable under virtually any circumstance

• Fox
  • Bagley

Untradeable unless there is a ridiculous offer and then we would probably have to wonder what underlying issue there is in there

• Bogi
  • Buddy
  • Giles

Tradeable in a very significant move

• Bjelica
  • Shumpert (crazy right? but he's so important right now to this team)

Category of his own, not sure where the FO see's his long term fit

• WCS

Young trade pieces
  • Yogi
  • JJ
  • Frank
  • Skal

Enders that they would love to include in salary cap deal

• Z-Bo
  • KK
  • BenMac
This is great and I completely agree this is probably how the front office views things.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I’m not on the Wiggins train but talking about his defense as if we are some defensive juggernaut filled team is silly. We have a few spots here and there

Starting to think we should keep our powder dry. The real difference makers at SF that were maybe semi-available earlier in the season (Hayward, Otto, Harrison Barnes) are now probably all off the table until the summer, when they will be available again. Ariza is angling for LA, and surely James Jones will deliver for Lebron again. It would take an unforeseen set of events for a truly valuable upgrade to be available at the deadline.

Let’s make a run at KD this summer, and if that fails we can help facilitate the AD trade by taking on Hayward.

Yeah, I watched the Suns recently, and Josh Jackson is now 2 years away from meaningfully contributing to a team with playoff ambitions. Meaning, he wouldn’t see much of the floor at all this year (e.g. Giles) and next year would be developmental. Warren looks like a guy who has been stuck on too many bad teams and may not be able to play winning basketball anymore. From the eye test, he’s just hunting for his own shot and playing individually on defense. Bridges is the real prize there—he’s such a smart player—but demonstrably upset with his temmates’ rock bottom BBIQ on nearly every possession, both ends of the floor. He’s smarter than everyone else, and knows it, and isn’t in a veteran position to work a trade like Ariza was.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I proposed going after Harris in the offseason. Good shooter and a good defender. Most players that come out of the Virginia program can defend. He's also a multiple position player. Since the Kings didn't make any effort in the offseason, I doubt that they would trade for him now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I’m not on the Wiggins train but talking about his defense as if we are some defensive juggernaut filled team is silly. We have a few spots here and there
While our defense may not be our calling card just yet, you don't improve it by adding a player that doesn't play defense. That's like saying my house is on fire, what the hell, I might as well throw a little gasoline on it.

The Denver Nuggets moving forward would probably want to get rid of Plumlee's contract in order to free up space (don't think they will pick up Milsaps contract) for themselves next season to get a max player and they also have the Spanish Otto Porter in Juan Hernangomez on the roster, once Barton and everyone becomes healthy we could offer them expiring deals (most likely KK since Denver needs a back up C) with Jackson/Skal/2nd rounders for Plumelee and Juan both good fits off the bench (Juan a starter) and Plumlee would be great insurance incase WCS get's like a 15+million offer from someone next season.

The Denver Nuggets moving forward would probably want to get rid of Plumlee's contract in order to free up space (don't think they will pick up Milsaps contract) for themselves next season to get a max player and they also have the Spanish Otto Porter in Juan Hernangomez on the roster, once Barton and everyone becomes healthy we could offer them expiring deals (most likely KK since Denver needs a back up C) with Jackson/Skal/2nd rounders for Plumelee and Juan both good fits off the bench (Juan a starter) and Plumlee would be great insurance incase WCS get's like a 15+million offer from someone next season.
Nuggets do not plan to get rid of Plumlee. Him and Hernangomes are important part of their rotation, so no way they trade them for expirings and fillers.

If we can't get a trade going Corey Brewer is still there to be signed the guy in like 20 something games for the Thunder averaged over 2 steals a game last season and at 32 with his build can still run for days.

Last edited:
Should we try trade for Oubre Jr right now (Suns are loaded at SF with Warren who I would love more than anything, Bridges and even Jackson lately is playing well) getting Oubre Jr now would be good to see if it would work moving forwards. I have no idea what the Suns are looking for but I doubt they would invest big money into Oubre unless they are thinking of moving Warren who is a elite contract for his production. I would offer 2nd round picks and whatever else that's not in the core.