Looking back...

I gave it a C+ which is an honest reflection that I think it is way too soon to give a grade.

I like Bagley but I'm not sold he was the best pick. I like the signings but they are safe and we're playing it slow. We don't have a winning hand yet, but we're not dumping a low pair to chase a straight either.

Very easily could become a high B or even an A- if the patience translates to a trade down the road that brings in a starting caliber player or a pick in the 10-20 range.
I will say that the missing information for me was Fox. His play to this point completely validates the selection of Bagley and I would give the high B today. If he somehow flips our expiring contracts for a Porter or draft pick he earns his A.

I mean, I still give it around a C. Probably jumps to a B because of results, but it wasn't amazing.

We tried to get players that rebuffed us, we signed a player that got matched, we got lucky that Bjelica and Yogi were getting marginalized by their current teams.

The things is, the previous years off season is now closer to a B+/A because of the draft and what the signings turned in to.

I mean, I still give it around a C. Probably jumps to a B because of results, but it wasn't amazing.

We tried to get players that rebuffed us, we signed a player that got matched, we got lucky that Bjelica and Yogi were getting marginalized by their current teams.

The things is, the previous years off season is now closer to a B+/A because of the draft and what the signings turned in to.
Wow.

What do you give it?

Bjelica is obviously the key to the offseason for us, but signing him isn't getting us to an A.

Yogi just had his first good game

Bagley shows promise and I'm super excited, but just like we can't grade out him vs. doncic now, we cant grade his part of the off season.

B-
Without the pin pong balls going our way...
C-
Vlade has done an acceptable job. He didn't screw it up. He really could have handcuffed us, but he left us an out after he took the big swing for Lavine. At the time that potential signing seemed crazy by most, but after watching LaVine he is back. He would have been great on this team. We still would have been short a SF though.

I was a D, but I can move it to a C.

1. Drafted at the #2 position, selecting Marvin Bagley III.
While MBIII has been a top 5 rookie, I think Luka is better.
2. Declined to make qualifying offer to Bruno Caboclo
Doesnt matter.
3, Traded Garrett Temple to Grizzlies for Ben Mclemore, Deyonte Davis, 2021 second round draft pick and Cash Considerations III
This trade was more for Garrett than us.
4. Signed free agent Yogi Ferrell
So far, not a good signing.
5. Signed free agent Nemanji Bjelica
This is the reason for the D to C. Good pickup.
6. Hired Bobby Jackson as assistant player development coach
I like BJax but meh.

I think we have wasted our most important asset. Cap space. If we do something before the deadline my view could change.

This is probably as good a place as any to implore fans to let the Luka thing go. All of the talk from the local media about “not taking the ball out of Fox’s hands” was a euphemism for the FO not feeling like Luka and Fox could co-exist. IOW, one of them would demand a trade. Any idea that Fox and Luka would play together is nothing more than fan fiction. I’d rather have Fox and Bagley, than Luka and whatever. Luka’s great, but I don’t mind admiring from afar.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Buddy and bogi has it clicking at the end last year. I didn’t expect that to be improved as much but it has. I didn’t expect fox to improve leaps and bounds in one offseason. I surely didn’t see Shumpert being as much of an improvement over temple and Carter. As far as free agents beli surprised a little I knew he had game. Bagley I knew was # 2 but expected slower incline, can’t wait to see him after another 20 games and in the future. WCS is about same. Not sure why the salt toward him he is solid and surprised from time to time.

F!!!!

I gave it an F because I wanted to see Trae Young come here and I wanted us to trade Fox and our pick for Trae Young and a good veteran SF.

Looking back I was pretty damn harsh, and I am glad I was wrong! But I still like Trae Young and think he will be a star in the league. He's fearless in the NBA like he was in college. He has the personality that he doesn't take a back seat when it comes to appeasing veterans. He's taking a lot of shots, and is not afraid to miss.

I still stand behind my B+. Drafting Bagley appears to be great. Signing Yogi and especially Bjelicia, both to good deals, was great. Not overpaying an old vet whose production wouldn't be worth the salary was a good non move. The culture that Vlade & Joeger continue to instill has been great.

The offseason included quality decisions that helped to improved the team and it seems as if there weren't many, if any, bad decisions made.

Like this team isnt doing what it’s doing because of this off season. We didn’t screw up the draft, so that is neutral for me. Bjelica bumps it up a bit, but it’s not like we did anything amazing this off season. It was solid, hence the C, bumping to a B being simply results oriented.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I believe I had a C and based on what Bjelica, Shump, Marvin & Yogi have done for the team I would be inclined to move that grade up to a B but that's where it stops for me. an A offseason warrants signing or trading for a star or all-star player, in my opinion.

wow all this. so much hard bitten cynicism I can't believe we all went through the last dozen years together, and are not completely over the moon about what Vlade has done with the team in about 3.

A for me. I would never ask or expect a team to leap like this from one year to the next.

wow all this. so much hard bitten cynicism I can't believe we all went through the last dozen years together, and are not completely over the moon about what Vlade has done with the team in about 3.

A for me. I would never ask or expect a team to leap like this from one year to the next.
But that wasn’t the question.

"
The team has too many bigs. Today's nba rosters needs at most 3 bigs who can man center. The Kings will be forced to sit players who aren't that much worse than players who are playing. A lot of mediocrity.

There could be a situation where the team's best player and 12th best player don't have a lot of separation.
It wouldn't be shocking if Yogi performs as well as Fox, but is only marginally better than Mason.
Shump could outplay Bogi and Buddy, but at a level barely starter quality.
Skal could improve but not beat out Zbo, who is still out playing a developing Bagley and Giles.

This is not how you'd want to build a roster from scratch. "

Ouch. Didnt age well on this hot take

Edit: not my take. DesertFox.

Yeah, I think with how great Bjelly has been as a stud role player on a great contract, I'd up my grade to a B. If we redid the FA period now, there'd be 29 other teams waiting to sign him at that price.

Troy Williams too has been a great find and can potentially be a bench piece moving forward. D

Certainly the results this year improve our perspective of the 2017 offseason as well. But as I noted, Vlade knew better than we did what to expect out of Fox and for me that's game changing on how the draft and other pieces were put together this year. As much as I like Doncic I just don't see him in our offense whereas Bagley appears to be a perfect fit.

Fit, culture, intangibles, I know some just don't believe in these things but I do.

I gave a C. I’d maybe bump it a little bit due to the winning but I don’t think I would go higher than B-

The culture change and winning has been a revelation. But a lot of that is coach, I think? Does some of the credit for keeping the core go to Vlade?

We still don’t have a SF so I guess we can wait with baited breath to the trade deadline. Picking up a quality SF would bump up the grade significantly for me. I was shocked that someone else said the yogi signing was bad. I think that was an awesome signing especially since yogi is making a relatively small amount and looks pretty capable of being a 2nd string pg.

Certainly the results this year improve our perspective of the 2017 offseason as well. But as I noted, Vlade knew better than we did what to expect out of Fox and for me that's game changing on how the draft and other pieces were put together this year. As much as I like Doncic I just don't see him in our offense whereas Bagley appears to be a perfect fit.

Fit, culture, intangibles, I know some just don't believe in these things but I do.
Again, a different question.

Words matter. The discussion is about the off-season, not the culmination of culture and previous moves.

It’s pointless if every thread devolves into “I love this team” or “Doncic over Bagley” or WCS or whatever tangent we seem to go onto.

For once let’s stick to the freaking topic at hand.

With all due respect, no, it's not. I just explained, prior to the start of season I evaluated the Bagley pick in a vacuum. After seeing the growth in the roster, I see why we made the pick and can't dispute it. So I raise the grade.
Yes, but then you discussed culture and intangibles when the original thread was specifically about tangible data.