DeAaron Fox

If you want to really wrap your mind around how great Fox could become, here is a fascinating stat: For every shot attempt he's made this season, he is producing 1.45 points. This is Jerry Reynold's old method of scoring efficiency.

For some perspective, Curry's efficiency in Yr 2 was 1.3, in Yr 3 it was 1.29, in Yr 4 it was 1.29, and this year, in his 10th year, it is 1.49. Durant's efficiency in Yr 2 was 1.35. In his third year it was 1.48; this year it is 1.51. Lillard's scoring efficiency was 1.3 in Yr 2, 1.26 in Yr 3, 1.27 in Yr 4, and for this year in his 7th season it is 1.41.

If Fox keeps up this kind of scoring efficiency, we're looking at a real phenom. No doubt about it.
Screenshot_20181110-063345.png

What if Fox turns out to be as good of a 3pt shooter as Curry or Thompson. He's already a better court general than either.... exciting times in Kingsland when you have 5 or 6 guys all improving a breakneck speed right before your eyes. Can't even keep track!

Fox is a sure fire all star and has the look of franchise player and potentially even franchise savior role. There will have to be One. For The Story.... mind you. If you have The Knowledge... you'll know...

The good thing is that everyone here seems to be in agreement that Fox is our best player whereas the Adelman teams were so good at distributing the ball that Peja scored like a number one option and people starting thinking he was better than C-Webb (spoilers: He wasn't)
As I mentioned in the previous post, I am not going to be trapped into debating who is better between two Kings (neither former nor current) players playing different positions. I will argue who is better playing the same position when I think Kings needs to change certain lineup.

What if Fox turns out to be as good of a 3pt shooter as Curry or Thompson. He's already a better court general than either.... exciting times in Kingsland when you have 5 or 6 guys all improving a breakneck speed right before your eyes. Can't even keep track!

Fox is a sure fire all star and has the look of franchise player and potentially even franchise savior role. There will have to be One. For The Story.... mind you. If you have The Knowledge... you'll know...
If he can shoot 38% consistently on a good number of attempts, like Lillard, it's good enough for Kings. He doesn't need to shoot 44% or more like Curry or Klay.

Yeah what if Fox develops into the greatest shooter of all time, that would be awesome. What if he's not done growing and adds another 5 inches and 30lbs too, might we have the next LeBron? A better version obviously.

It's amazing what a smidgeon of competence to start the season can do to people.

Yeah what if Fox develops into the greatest shooter of all time, that would be awesome. What if he's not done growing and adds another 5 inches and 30lbs too, might we have the next LeBron? A better version obviously.

It's amazing what a smidgeon of competence to start the season can do to people.
He probably has a better chance growing 5 inches than being as good a shooter as Steph

Smidgeon? SMIDGEON??? YOU ARE SUGGESTING SMIDGEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool::p:D

Entity

Hall of Famer
Im happy with what he is doing right now. If/when he gets better it just means more wins. I don't think in the future that Fox will be a guy that people compare to this guy or that guy. I think Fox will be a guy that people try to compare themselves to.

wut

40% is a lot. Klay has shot 42% over his career and he’s been getting some excellent looks. 40% for a primary ball handler is a lot better than Lillard or Kemba have done in their best seasons and both are considered good shooters.
I know. But we have and are developing a roster of great shooters. There will be a lot of good looks. I think it's likely he finishes this season over 40%. Let's see.

Just read this article and thought I'd share (didn't see it posted in the thread):

http://sports.yahoo.com/kings-deaaron-fox-shares-reason-031729231.html

The former Kentucky star added 15 pounds of muscle in the offseason and he spent plenty of time hoisting up shots, but he hasn't really made many adjustments in his stroke.

"I didn't really change any mechanics," Fox said. "Looking at college I kind of saw that I brought the ball back too far, but other than that, it wasn't anything major."

The increase in range has helped his overall field goal percentage as well. Fox shot just 41.2 percent from the field last season, compared to the 50.8 percent he's posted through 14 games.

He is running to the rack in transition and when teams give him space, he's pulling up for open threes. There is no hesitation in his game, which is a major sign of growth.

"I think it's extremely different," Fox said of his play this season versus last year. "I think with shooting the ball better comes a lot more things."

Confidence in your shots is a wonderful thing, but it works both ways. Gaining and losing that level of confidence screws with statistical projections of one's shooting percentage. The only thing that can be projected with certainty is that one's confidence level will change and shooting % will be affected. Let's hope for Fox (and for us) that he simply gets more and more confident as the season progresses.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Confidence in your shots is a wonderful thing, but it works both ways. Gaining and losing that level of confidence screws with statistical projections of one's shooting percentage. The only thing that can be projected with certainty is that one's confidence level will change and shooting % will be affected. Let's hope for Fox (and for us) that he simply gets more and more confident as the season progresses.
Personally I think confidence is half the battle, if you have the talent. As a baseball player I used to tell other young players that if they didn't feel superior going up to the plate to hit. If they didn't believe they were going to get a hit, then don't bother going up there because your already out. Anytime I made an out, I believed it was because I had made a mistake and it had nothing to do with the pitcher. By the same token, a basketball player has to believe every shot he takes is going in. If you don't have that kind of confidence, you'll never be a good shooter.

Bear in mind, I'm talking about players that have all the ability to be a good shooter. I'm not talking about Marcus Smart!:p Sorry, I couldn't resist...

One more thing I would like to add. If you have confidence, in your ability to hit, or your ability to shoot the basketball, you tend to be more aggressive as a player. For instance, in my sport, some players would go up to the plate hoping to get wood on the ball and hit it hard somewhere. Good hitters go up there and look to see where their being played and what field they want to hit the ball to. It's a mental thing, but it makes you a much better player.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What I've learned from all these years of nonsense is that nonsense is the most predictable part of kings basketball. And nonsense can be both good, bad and excellent. In the case now, fox is one of the cases of excellence. Crossing my fingers he doesnt tear his acl and become another tyreke in the long run (knock on wood, sorry guys)
Just so you know, if that were to happen, every person on this forum is going to blame you. You just might become a tastyburger.......:eek:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I want to critique him for something

It's not a guarantee that shots improve though. Some examples would be Emmanuel Mudiay, Marcus Smart, Dante Exum, and MCW. Not almost a given no matter how much of a gym rat a player is. Shooting isn't something that comes easy. Imo, it's the hardest skill to learn when you're a poor shooter which Fox was in college. He's not going to sustain his 44.2%. I wouldn't even be surprised if it even went down to 33% for the season, BUT he has dramatically improved his shot and his confidence in his 3pt shot. We have a star in the making.
If you want to go back in time, then you have to go back to highschool where Fox was a good shooter from the three. There are things you look at when a player isn't shooting the ball well from the three, and the first thing I look at is whether the ball is on line of not. If you had paid attention to all those players you just listed, almost all of them missed badly off line with their shots. Fox misses on the other hand were either a bit long, and more often than not, a bit short. His form looked pretty good. I thought he was bringing the ball back a bit too far, but it wasn't excessive.

What that told me was that what Fox lacked was overall strength. He was shooting from a bit longer distance, and as the game went on, his shots started to hit the front of the rim. He also had a habit of falling away on some of his shots, which from the three, only exaggerated his lack of strength. So if you make some minor corrections to his form, and add strength, and then repetitions, you have an improved shooter. By the same token go back and look at some film on Smart. His form is terrible, and he seldom replicates the same form from shot to shot.

I'm not going to go back and go through everyone of those players, but I never had confidence in any of them becoming a good shooter. I had hope for Exum, and he may still get better at some point if he puts in the work. But players whose shot is consistently off line scare the hell out of me. That was never the case with Fox.

Another thing to look for is quality of shots taken. For instance, I've been very impressed with Kevin Porter of USC. However he's only shooting a bit over 30% from the three. If you take a deeper look, his form isn't bad, but he takes a lot of highly contested shots. If he were to improve his shot selection, I think he could get that 3pt percentage up around 35 to 37 percent. Just my very humble opinion.:rolleyes:

If you want to go back in time, then you have to go back to highschool where Fox was a good shooter from the three. There are things you look at when a player isn't shooting the ball well from the three, and the first thing I look at is whether the ball is on line of not. If you had paid attention to all those players you just listed, almost all of them missed badly off line with their shots. Fox misses on the other hand were either a bit long, and more often than not, a bit short. His form looked pretty good. I thought he was bringing the ball back a bit too far, but it wasn't excessive.
Apparently De'Aaron agreed with you and fixed that. ;)

I've been saying it since day 1. De'Aaron Fox can shoot the basketball. He showed that ability up to and even in college. He just hit a slump. But his form always looked good and I figured he'd work his way out of it one way or another.

You brought up a good point about strength. I'm sure there's some truth to that. All along I just figured here's a kid that has good form, has shown to be a good shooter in the past, will now have a lot of time to work on his craft, is very smart, is very competitive, hates to lose and has a strong work ethic. I was never worried about his shot.

Color me silly, but while I was already on the De'Aaron Fox bandwagon --- when I saw his interview in the wake of UK's loss to UNC (my favorite team), he became a slam dunk in my book. Some might find fault with his emotions or believe he's not mentally strong. But not me. I'd love to have a roster full of players that care about the game, their teammates and hate to lose as much as this guys does. And, of course, have his type of talent.

Color me silly, but while I was already on the De'Aaron Fox bandwagon --- when I saw his interview in the wake of UK's loss to UNC (my favorite team), he became a slam dunk in my book. Some might find fault with his emotions or believe he's not mentally strong. But not me. I'd love to have a roster full of players that care about the game, their teammates and hate to lose as much as this guys does. And, of course, have his type of talent.

Holy cow. Someone must be cutting onions in here. What a heart.

Lonzo was busing declaring for the draft after his loss