Still think I was wrong to have faith in Vlade and Joerger?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not saying it's gonna be all sunshine and roses from here on out, but I don't think people can deny that there's fun back in Kings basketball. And reason to hope. And increasing attendance at games. And a lot more Kings fans checking in here. And a lot of the haters seemed to have disappeared into the woodwork.

It's just nice to share a game thread with fellow Kings fans without having to resort to mod status. :)

I always liked Vlade except when he was a Laker, now its nice to finally see some success as a GM. Joerger, was a very good choice as a coach despite a couple rough years. He's young, players seem to like him and its a lot nicer to see him build a winner than have one handed to him on a plate. These two along with great fans, some very promising youth, and Bjelica should make Sacramento a desired destination sooner than later.
So I ain't eating no crow. However, if I ever have too can you get it in soy?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's too early for I told ya sos but I think those predicting 25 or less wins really failed to realize how epic-ly bad you have to be to reach that level of futility without doing it intentionally.

I'm not saying it's gonna be all sunshine and roses from here on out, but I don't think people can deny that there's fun back in Kings basketball. And reason to hope. And increasing attendance at games. And a lot more Kings fans checking in here. And a lot of the haters seemed to have disappeared into the woodwork.

It's just nice to share a game thread with fellow Kings fans without having to resort to mod status. :)
I think you’re all ****** in the head. We’re ten hours from the ******’ fun park and you want to bail out! Well, I’ll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation, it’s a quest. It’s a quest for fun. I’m gonna have fun and you’re gonna have fun. We’re all gonna have so much *****’ fun we’ll need plastic surgery to remove our goddam smiles! You’ll be whistling "Zippity Doo Da" out of your ***hole

I will admit to having completely underestimated Vivek, Vlade, and the rest of FO. Fox, Bagley, and a motivated WCS are golden. Trade for DMC required conviction and prescience. Shooting, athleticism, and competitiveness are all on roster. The core is probably three years from its collective prime. I really can’t believe what I’m seeing. I know we are only six games in, and I don’t care.

Joerger never ceases to surprise: Comes to Sac with a background of playing pace-and-space in the minor leagues but also playing big and slow in Memphis. Pays slow with Cousins. After the trade, he goes pace and space with Lawson and Tolliver. Then Kings draft Fox and everyone thought they'd continue the post-Cousins Style. But they'd also signed Hill and Zbo and so they played big and slow again to the infuritation of all fans.
Fast forward to 18/19 and they are finally playing like they should.
I hope some day a journalist will come up with the story what the rationale behind 17/18 was. Maybe it was indeed about drilling fundamentals and installing a system that they knew wasnt going to be successfull but helpful long-term?

Anyways, the huge issue with the Joerger was the offense last year. Now that that is figured out, he is darn good coach.

Vlade has made his mistakes no doubt and he sometimes says or does something that maked you shake your head. Joerger has always been a very good coach and copped unwarranted crap. Why is he playing Zebo, why does he do that, why not this. As some of us alluded to, he had a plan and wanted to get the fundamentals down for these kids. He has been coaching his ass off for a while now and especially this season. Funs tend to have the “what have you done for me lately menatlity” and see the here and now, not the long term view and not why a coach is doing something. I have always said there is a method to his “madness”. A very very good coach regardless of the record this season. He has these kids playing hard every night, even when they are getting blown out. I have loved the job coach has been doing since he signed with the Kings.

Joerger never ceases to surprise: Comes to Sac with a background of playing pace-and-space in the minor leagues but also playing big and slow in Memphis. Pays slow with Cousins. After the trade, he goes pace and space with Lawson and Tolliver. Then Kings draft Fox and everyone thought they'd continue the post-Cousins Style. But they'd also signed Hill and Zbo and so they played big and slow again to the infuritation of all fans.
Fast forward to 18/19 and they are finally playing like they should.
I hope some day a journalist will come up with the story what the rationale behind 17/18 was. Maybe it was indeed about drilling fundamentals and installing a system that they knew wasnt going to be successfull but helpful long-term?

Anyways, the huge issue with the Joerger was the offense last year. Now that that is figured out, he is darn good coach.
Precisely what it was about. People also don’t realize how much it helped Fox’s development...just compare Fox in half court this season compared to last. Its a huge improvement and that is in no small part due to his experience in that offense last season. I said at the time, it was about development and drilling fundamentals and drilling in that competitive, grit and grind attitude into these kids. See how they dig in these days when the game is on the line? Those are the shoots from the seeds planted last season.

Precisely what it was about. People also don’t realize how much it helped Fox’s development...just compare Fox in half court this season compared to last. Its a huge improvement and that is in no small part due to his experience in that offense last season. I said at the time, it was about development and drilling fundamentals and drilling in that competitive, grit and grind attitude into these kids. See how they dig in these days when the game is on the line? Those are the shoots from the seeds planted last season.
Thank you for your reply. Can you elaborate a bit on that? How did last year contribute to what we are seeing now with Fox? I'm still struggling a bit with this concept because if you'd ask me I would have argued that it would be best to play the same way last year if you want to become good at it this year. The more similar, the better. Also I would have worried to kill Fox' confidence by exposing his weaknesses.