Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could write a longer list of positives re MBIII. But to what effect? They are there to be seen if you want to see them. But you don't want to see them. Instead of enjoying what might be in front of you, you all want to be sad and stare at your ex girlfriends instagram (in this case not your ex but a girl that wouldn't even talk to you...?) Maybe you want to do this because ... ?

Well, if you read the thread you know why I do, because IMO we have an GM with a bad record/resume/reputation who I want let go at the end of the year. I also think anyone who is concerned about the organization ‘should’ want the same, like most folks on SactownRoyalty. Getting a crucial decision wrong would/should be the final blow if it continues to play out like that

There are some Doncic fans that love his style of play and think he’s generational. More power to them as long as they aren’t breaking forum rules

Well, if you read the thread you know why I do, because IMO we have an GM with a bad record/resume/reputation who I want let go at the end of the year.
Or his picks could hit and we could have the pieces to be contenders as the wheels fall of the GSW, Houston and LeBron wagons.

How can you wish the worst case scenario? A new GM... another rebuild???

Doncic has been a pro in Europe, if the only goal this season is to win the most games and minimize the impact of the lost 2019 pick then I think Doncic was an absolute no brainer. If the goal is best player in the draft (or second best if you believe the first is Ayton) then there were a lot more long term options.

According to the same people who think the Kings are already a joke, because they didn't take Doncic. Who cares? Nobody here but you.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1732064

According to everyday basketball fans. Not like the fans on this site who a segment I consider intentionally positive (43 against Divac, 17 for, 6 maybe in the summer, in case some here vote late)

I think most on SactownRoyalty want a change as well from my experience

Or his picks could hit and we could have the pieces to be contenders as the wheels fall of the GSW, Houston and LeBron wagons.

How can you wish the worst case scenario? A new GM... another rebuild???

Doncic has been a pro in Europe, if the only goal this season is to win the most games and minimize the impact of the lost 2019 pick then I think Doncic was an absolute no brainer. If the goal is best player in the draft (or second best if you believe the first is Ayton) then there were a lot more long term options.
I don’t wish the picks not to hit. It would be a great scenario for them to do so. Just talking about as of this minute, how it looks

Last edited:
Doncic as generational? Seems a stretch right now.
To be honest...
Actually we are minimizing his results right now saying he's (just) generational.
No one in the history of the game has been so successful at 19 years old, both personally and carrying his team.
He could even be an hall of famer if he retires right now checking what he has already achieved.
If I'm wrong, I'm open to hear some players name with a better cv at his age. No Jordan, no LeBron, no Kobe, etc etc.

Do I think he's gonna be a better player than those guys? No, I don't.

dude12

Hall of Famer
To be honest...
Actually we are minimizing his results right now saying he's (just) generational.
No one in the history of the game has been so successful at 19 years old, both personally and carrying his team.
He could even be an hall of famer if he retires right now checking what he has already achieved.
If I'm wrong, I'm open to hear some players name with a better cv at his age. No Jordan, no LeBron, no Kobe, etc etc.

Do I think he's gonna be a better player than those guys? No, I don't.
Wait....are you really saying he can be a hall of famer if he retires right now?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1732064

According to everyday basketball fans. Not like the fans on this site who a segment I consider intentionally positive (43 against Divac, 17 for, 6 maybe in the summer, in case some here vote late)

I think most on SactownRoyalty want a change as well from my experience
So now you're going to quote StR? Why do you even bother to post here since we're clearly the outlier?

"...everyday basketball fans. Not like the fans on this site..."

Wow. I am truly sorry we are all such a disappointment to you.

Wait....are you really saying he can be a hall of famer if he retires right now?
hyperbole

[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric.
  1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
  2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Not really. I was just pointing out what he has already achieved is literally incredible.

So now you're going to quote StR? Why do you even bother to post here since we're clearly the outlier?

"...everyday basketball fans. Not like the fans on this site..."

Wow. I am truly sorry we are all such a disappointment to you.
I post because it’s a Kings site and to state my opinion, not because of who else is on the site. I don’t think it’s in the charter of the site to have to subscribe to “intentional positivism”.

I have no disrespect/care for the “intentionally positive” opinion, but will challenge it if it’s challenging me on an issue

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
hyperbole

[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun Rhetoric.
  1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
  2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Not really. I was just pointing out what he has already achieved is literally incredible.

Him being the only one who did doesn't mean he's the only one who could.

I post because it’s a Kings site and to state my opinion, not because of who else is on the site. I don’t think it’s in the charter of the site to have to subscribe to “intentional positivism”.

I have no disrespect/care for the “intentionally positive” opinion, but will challenge it if it’s challenging me on an issue
So we're prejudiced because we don't agree with a bunch of morons on realgm or wherever else you want to move the target to, and you're not? I haven't used the ignore function until now because of the entertainment value, but enough idiocy is enough. Buh Bye!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Unfortunately we judge players (and teams) by facts and not by unproven potential.
We also usually wait until we have enough facts collected to judge anyone.

Both guys have played zero actual minutes that matter. Why not wait until we've got enough empirical evidence either way before decidedly saying A>B?

We also usually wait until we have enough facts collected to judge anyone.

Both guys have played zero actual minutes that matter. Why not wait until we've got enough empirical evidence either way before decidedly saying A>B?
I didn't even named Marvin Bagley, I was jus talking about Doncic.
And pro basketball matters. Euroleague and European Championship matter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn't even named Marvin Bagley, I was jus talking about Doncic.
And pro basketball matters. Euroleague and European Championship matter.
Does the fact that Daisuke Matsuzaka was one of the best pitchers in Japanese pro baseball during his years in Japan make him a good professional baseball player overall in spite of his craptastic MLB tenure? Kei Igawa? Hideki Irabu?

Euroleague is high quality basketball just as NPB is high quality baseball. It's better than college and the minor league but the ultimate level of competition is AAAA at best and there is still a huge difference at the end of the day. It's why we don't see Euroleague teams beat NBA teams during the preseason games.

As a Japanese citizen with pride in Japanese baseball, I feel your pain but at the end of the day the leagues are too different to take much from them in comparison to their American big brothers.

We are not prejudiced against European players. Remember that the best team we've ever had here in Sacramento had 2 Serbians in the starting lineup. There have been players who were stars in Europe who had trouble with the level of athleticism in the NBA. There are also players like Bogdanovich who clearly belong here. That's why we have to wait until he plays some games.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we judge players (and teams) by facts and not by unproven potential.
I wouldn’t facts as far as I’m concerned, but looks on first glance. I think I can look at a player, through SL/summer league and get somewhat a feel for their games/direction. If others don’t they don’t. And unless I’m mistaken I think this might be the singular thread on this forum to comment on the play by play so to speak.

But for some, who for whatever reason may question management, this pick is very crucial. It’s the biggest decision the organization has made maybe in 5-10 years, and you can see why, to some, not grabbing a player that may have been the consensus choice and going in a different direction that will carry scrutiny that other less important decisions would.

I can see why some want to wait for the regular season but the players have been going up against NBA or post collegian competition for a few weeks, or months, now, to get an opening view. But the bullets start to fly tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.