Deyonta Davis has been waived

Exactly.

Keeping him allows him to be used as a salary filler in a trade. Plus, as already pointed out, with Bogi unavailable for some time, he could see minutes at 2.

Damn, once I saw the Bogdan injury I thought this was in the cards.

The thing is; if they were gonna keep him it was basically to groom him for the role Koufos currently occupies. Which in the grand scheme of things isn't all that important.

Stories like Davis, I follow from HS Recrtuitment, to college, to the NBA..

If you ask any hardcore MSU fan they'll pretty much tell you to a man that Deyonta Davis should've stayed in school, watching him fall down the board that draft was brutal... He has put on a ton of strength since, and toughened up.

Big part of the sell on his skillset has always been a shot-blocker who gets off the floor quickly, and at the NBA level, he hasn't really shown his full potential on this. So I was hoping we had a chance to develop him. He turns 22 in December.

He's got a decent shooting touch for a big like that. Possible 75%type at the stripe, and I think he's near 60% FG's on his career. He'll get picked up. He's not a player on his way out of the league, hes firmly in the fringe.