Bogdan Bogdanovich looks forward to his second season as a King

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Age is very relevant in this discussion though. He had an average year. Manu is a gigantic outlier because he's a future HOF who has now played into his 40s. That would be very hard for Bogdan to replicate. Manu is also a lot more athletic than Bogdan is.

I think Bogdan can be a good player for us, but I think he caps out at average.
I think he's already the team's best player and is underrated by fans and the coach alike.

Should be the main ballhandler, put in repeat P&R actions. He's also a closer and has the clutch gene. He's held back by the poor talent around him, Joerger's archaic system and that Joerger has some crazy infatuation with limiting mins across the board.

Im looking forward to his 2nd season as well. He was our best player last year. There is alot to like and nothing to dislike. One really has to nitpick in order to criticize his game. He immediately jumped out at me as being a really good playmaker last year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Age is very relevant in this discussion though. He had an average year. Manu is a gigantic outlier because he's a future HOF who has now played into his 40s. That would be very hard for Bogdan to replicate. Manu is also a lot more athletic than Bogdan is.

I think Bogdan can be a good player for us, but I think he caps out at average.
Goran Dragic: Age 25 - 11.7 ppg - 46.2% fgp - 33.7% 3pp - 5.3 apg - 2.5 rpg
Age 27 - 20.3 ppg - 50.7% fgp - 40.8% 3pp - 5.9 apg - 3.2 rpg

Manu Ginobili: Age 25 - 7.6 ppg - 43.8% fgp - 34.5% 3pp - 2.0 apg - 2.3 rpg
Age 27 - 16.0 ppg - 47.1% fgp - 37.6% 3pp - 3.9 apg - 4.4 rpg

Sarunas Marciulionis: Age 25 - 12.1 ppg - 51.9% fgp - 25.6% 3pp - 1.6 apg - 2.9 rpg
Age 27 - 18.9 ppg - 53.8% fgp - 30.0% 3pp - 3.4 apg - 2.9 rpg (At age 30, Marciulionis shot 40.3% 3pp)

Toni Kukoc: Age 25 - 10.9 ppg - 43.1% fgp - 27.1% 3pp - 3.4 apg - 4.0 rpg
Age 27 - 13.1 ppg - 49.0% fgp - 40.3% 3pp - 3.5 apg - 4.0 rpg (Kukoc averaged 18 ppg at age 30)

Drazen Petrovic: Age 25 - 7.6 ppg - 45.9% fgp - 45.9% 3pp - 1.5 apg - 1.4 rpg
Age 27 - 20.6 ppg - 50.8% fgp - 44.4% 3pp - 3.1 apg - 3.1 rpg.

Detlef Schrempf: Age 25 - 8.5 ppg - 45.6% fgp - 15.6% 3pp - 1.9 apg - 3.9 rpg
Age 27 - 16.2 ppg - 51.6% fgp - 35.4% 3pp - 3.2 apg - 7.9 rpg

Some of these players like Petrovic didn't come to the NBA until age 25, but the idea here is to show that yes, players do get better after age 25. The idea that they don't is nonsense. It's an individual thing of course, but there's no reason to believe that Bogdanovic won't get significantly better in the next couple of years. Bogs is a far better player at age 25 than Ginobili was and it's not even close.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Sarunas Marciulionis: Age 25 - 12.1 ppg - 51.9% fgp - 25.6% 3pp - 1.6 apg - 2.9 rpg
Age 27 - 18.9 ppg - 53.8% fgp - 30.0% 3pp - 3.4 apg - 2.9 rpg (At age 30, Marciulionis shot 40.3% 3pp)

Age 27 - 13.1 ppg - 49.0% fgp - 40.3% 3pp - 3.5 apg - 4.0 rpg (Kukoc averaged 18 ppg at age 30)

Some of these players like Petrovic didn't come to the NBA until age 25, but the idea here is to show that yes, players do get better after age 25. The idea that they don't is nonsense. It's an individual thing of course, but there's no reason to believe that Bogdanovic won't get significantly better in the next couple of years. Bogs is a far better player at age 25 than Ginobili was and it's not even close.
speaking of Ginobili, I think the reason he has remained in the league as long as he has is the fact that he has only averaged over 30 MPG once in his career which was in 2007 and the rest has been either at 30 or under since entering the league.

I think he's already the team's best player and is underrated by fans and the coach alike.

Should be the main ballhandler, put in repeat P&R actions. He's also a closer and has the clutch gene. He's held back by the poor talent around him, Joerger's archaic system and that Joerger has some crazy infatuation with limiting mins across the board.
Not necessarily a huge Joerger fan but in his defense Bogdan was wearing down and I don’t think he had the energy to do more.

speaking of Ginobili, I think the reason he has remained in the league as long as he has is the fact that he has only averaged over 30 MPG once in his career which was in 2007 and the rest has been either at 30 or under since entering the league.
Ginobili needs to be punished for that tank job in the finals vs Miami that one year.

But I love me some Ginobili!!!

Interesting that he had a better first year than Petrovic. So much was working against him last year.
  1. He had no rest in years.
  2. The coaches had no idea what he could and couldn’t do because he arrived right at training camp,
  3. he had zero knowledge of the Kings system and players because he arrived so late.
What made it all even worse was it was a very short preseason last year. But despite all those factors he still played average.

If your attempt was to show he was better than average I was only looking at stats for starting guards. I think he can be great, but to say pretty good when you are 101st among starting guards in points per game and 99th in assists would be a stretch.

If your attempt was to show he was better than average I was only looking at stats for starting guards. I think he can be great, but to say pretty good when you are 101st among starting guards in points per game and 99th in assists would be a stretch.
That's not how I would look at things. First, he only started 53 games last season out of 78 that he played in and he didn't even play 28 minutes a game. He was a fringe starter for us and I think he played well all things considering. Points per game and assists are important, but so is the rest of it. Decent shooting percentages and clutch plays throughout the season showed me that he has a lot more to offer than what we have seen so far. He tired out as expected from a rookie and one who didn't even have the benefit of a summer break.

And to nitpick, there are only 30 teams in the league which means 60 starting guards in the entire NBA. He cannot be 101st among starting guards because that isn't possible. I didn't consider him as a full fledged starter for us last year, but he will be this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's not how I would look at things. First, he only started 53 games last season out of 78 that he played in and he didn't even play 28 minutes a game. He was a fringe starter for us and I think he played well all things considering. Points per game and assists are important, but so is the rest of it. Decent shooting percentages and clutch plays throughout the season showed me that he has a lot more to offer than what we have seen so far. He tired out as expected from a rookie and one who didn't even have the benefit of a summer break.

And to nitpick, there are only 30 teams in the league which means 60 starting guards in the entire NBA. He cannot be 101st among starting guards because that isn't possible. I didn't consider him as a full fledged starter for us last year, but he will be this year.
Actually there were many more than 60 players who started at the guard position at some point during the season. I believe the stat takes all those who started into consideration.

That would be why I used per game averages and not totals. It just uses the games where he starts. So for example in Boston both Rosier and Irving have stats for when they started. That is why you have way more than 60

If you watched him play the games, and you think he's meh... that's fine. Never mind stats - that's your perspective and you saw what you saw and you like what you like.

I think he was the best player on the team last year and he would be a starter/6th on a really really good team. Seems to me he is never gonna be your weak link on either side of the ball. No quitter. Leader. Fearless. Clutch. Love the guy.

I think Pop said it best:

“He’s a pretty good enough athlete, but he’s a fantastic basketball player,” Popovich said of Kings rookie Bogdan Bogdanovic. “He really understands innately how to play the game. He’s just built for it mentally, whether it’s shooting the ball or understanding spatial arrangements on the court, who he’s playing with, what shot’s good, what shot’s not, how to play with his teammates. He’s really got a high basketball IQ. On top of that, he’s got good skills. He handles the ball, he passes, he shoots. He doesn’t have any fear, he’s not intimidated by the NBA and he comes right in and plays.”

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Pop said it best:

“He’s a pretty good enough athlete, but he’s a fantastic basketball player,” Popovich said of Kings rookie Bogdan Bogdanovic. “He really understands innately how to play the game. He’s just built for it mentally, whether it’s shooting the ball or understanding spatial arrangements on the court, who he’s playing with, what shot’s good, what shot’s not, how to play with his teammates. He’s really got a high basketball IQ. On top of that, he’s got good skills. He handles the ball, he passes, he shoots. He doesn’t have any fear, he’s not intimidated by the NBA and he comes right in and plays.”
Pretty high praise from Pop. :)

Thought I heard Bogdan was taking the summer off from such games? His knee was scoped April 25 with 8 to 10 weeks of predicted recovery time.

Link to article--> https://aroyalpain.com/2018/04/26/bogdan-bogdanovic-knee-surgery-april-2018/
usually there is a whole tournament(Eurobasket, WC, Olympics) in the summer with a month long preparation period, which is not happening this summer so that is where the summer off for Bogdan is coming from. these 2 games are much smaller in scope.

April 25th was 17 weeks ago. :eek:
usually there is a whole tournament(Eurobasket, WC, Olympics) in the summer with a month long preparation period, which is not happening this summer so that is where the summer off for Bogdan is coming from. these 2 games are much smaller in scope.
Guess I am being selfish wanting Bogdan to be 100% focused on the Kings season:)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I hope Bogs takes more of a leadership role next year, as in an active vocal leader, not just leading by example. I know there might be some language barrier, but it doesn't seem insurmountable. He was looking more to the coach last year to tell guys what to do. This season when he is on the floor I want to see him tell guys what to do if he sees they are messing up. He knows how to play the right way, so demand from others that they play the right way. He, Fox and Giles should be strong in the leadership department. The more on-the-court accountability, the better.

it's not all about stats....

If you watched him play the games, and you think he's meh... that's fine. Never mind stats - that's your perspective and you saw what you saw and you like what you like.

I think he was the best player on the team last year and he would be a starter/6th on a really really good team. Seems to me he is never gonna be your weak link on either side of the ball. No quitter. Leader. Fearless. Clutch. Love the guy.
You do remember I’m predicting he will score 19-21 points per game? I’m likely on the high side of posters here.

That being said Bogdan’s stats were average for a starting point guard last year. Average for a rookie isn’t bad and had he skipped Eurobasket last year I think he would have been better.