Rookies give ROY, MVP predictions.

Bags backs himself for MVP and Giles for ROY. The other duke kids rate sac and their chances for ROY.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/...icks-lebron-james-move-los-angeles-lakers-5-5
I like that a lot of the other rookies think Bagley or Giles will win the ROY. They've seen them and played with them, so that tells you a lot. :)

I like Bagley's confidence. He needs to work on his mid range game and his right hand and he could eventually be in the conversation for MVP in the future, but not this year. ;)

I am a fan of Bagley. Confidence is a good thing to have.
In this case Marvin fancies himself as a potential MVP. He needs to humble up.
I would put KK on him and tell him to lean on him in practice and follow him to the water fountain. This is an outrageous statement for an untested rook to make. Disappointing and not acceptable. Maybe this helps explain his crappy showing in SL.

I would put KK on him and tell him to lean on him in practice and follow him to the water fountain. This is an outrageous statement for an untested rook to make. Disappointing and not acceptable. Maybe this helps explain his crappy showing in SL.
Can't ever fault players for being confident... If he's to become a legit 3pt shooter having unwavering confidence will surely help.

I know for me personally when I'm confident and feeling good, thats when I shoot the ball the best.. and uhhh my record is 37 3's ina row set a few months back :D

When you really think about it too (same for pre-nfl Adrian Peterson) Marvin has always been the best player on the floor wherever he's played, his whole life.

I suspect that you (like me) are from a different generation where the real heroes were confident and cocky, but in a quiet and determined way. Those who were stupid enough to say (for the world to hear) that "I am the greatest" were either Muhammed Ali or they were in desperate need of a reality check. But times have changed. What we get and what we want from young people are often two different things. We may not like it, but extreme confidence and brashness is why a lot of athletes excel.

And its why some rookies get their bells rung. Bagley is a skinny teenager playing against some really big and fierce full grown men. I can only imagine what it is like to try box out some guy that is 6'10" and weighs 260. He is about to find out for real. I can gurantee that his attitude will change pretty quickly.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've always found that talk diminishes the push for action. It's as if once the goal has been announced to the world there is much less less motivation to make it really happen. More action, less talk, please.

Clearly his statement didn't come from a cocky standpoint more a belief in yourself thing. He even goes on to explain what he means.

I 'd have rather heard his honest opinion, but its nbd. If Lonzo said it I'd call him insane, so maybe Bags has a screw loose. I dunno, it certainly defines his character lol.

I presume Bagley said it with a smirk on his face? I seriously doubt he was being entirely serious. That said, haven't clicked the article yet but I will when I get home.

I presume Bagley said it with a smirk on his face? I seriously doubt he was being entirely serious. That said, haven't clicked the article yet but I will when I get home.
You might be surprised. When you put it into the context of how and why he said it, totally different than what people are portraying it as.

Did you actually read what he said? It was actually very well thought out answer (whether you agree with him or not).

The below is a small piece of this article--> http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...icks-lebron-james-move-los-angeles-lakers-5-5

The part that involves Kings Rookie Marvin Bagley:

Who will win the Rookie of the Year award?

Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings: I can't pick myself? Well, if I had to pick someone I'd go with [Kings teammate] Harry [Giles]. I've seen how he works, man. I've been around for a while now, seeing how he plays the game. When he's playing without thinking and playing at his best, he's real good...

MOD NOTE: You CANNOT quote large portions of a copyrighted article. If you want to read the whole thing, use the link. The post has been edited. - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:
The below is a small piece of this article--> http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...icks-lebron-james-move-los-angeles-lakers-5-5

The part that involves Kings Rookie Marvin Bagley:

Who will win the Rookie of the Year award?

Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings: I can't pick myself? Well, if I had to pick someone I'd go with [Kings teammate] Harry [Giles]. I've seen how he works, man. I've been around for a while now, seeing how he plays the game. When he's playing without thinking and playing at his best, he's real good.

MOD NOTE: You CANNOT quote large portions of a copyrighted article. If you want to read the whole thing, use the link. The post has been edited. - VF21
Thanks for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter except that you do not want to give other teams extra motivation to wear out your highly touted rookie becasue he has a big mouth.

It doesn't matter except that you do not want to give other teams extra motivation to wear out your highly touted rookie becasue he has a big mouth.
Did you read the article and the actual quote? It's clear if you asked him to bet his salary on it, he is not taking that bet. His answer was simply a way to express his desire to be the best. It certainly did not seem boastful in a disrespectful, pounding his chest kind of way.

He's the number 2 pick in the draft. Teams are going to come at him either way, and if he can't take the best they have then he's not going to meet expectations regardless.